Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

What's better than using martial arts against a squad of enemy tanks? Using fake martial arts against a squad of enemy tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

War against right-wingers is actually good and awesome all the time.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

But if the russians drink foreign vodka, more of the profits leave the country.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

fuckin lol

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

I was so ready to call that account a parody, but it's just not

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Tigey posted:

Its an obvious parody - even within the last few weeks there are too many absurd moments

yeah I saw all of those and they look too stupid and numerous to be a parody

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

KazigluBey posted:

gently caress off with this kind of post.
lol

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

where are they coming up with these absolutely comical dead numbers?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

My bad, I just noticed it said number of dead since december. I was thinking "they've probably killed more than 20,000 just this year".

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

kemikalkadet posted:

This happened somewhat recently right? I can’t remember the details now or even where it was but there was an incident where the US minced a bunch of Russian PMC guys. They called up Russia through deconfliction channels and said “hey we’re planning to blow up this group of armed dudes, are they Russian soldiers?” And Russia replied “nope they’re nothing to do with us” and they got annihilated.

E: I think it was Syria or something.
It's been discussed in this thread about 50 times

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Klyith posted:

I'm sure it can, but that top speed might imply the target is within a low enough range that the missile can run the engine all the way to impact.

The main thing is that all the bruhaha over "hypersonic" missiles being some impossible new threat is mostly bullshit. The MIC loves to over-hype threats so we spend more money to protect against them.
These are not "hypersonic missiles" in the sense that anyone typically uses. "Hypersonic missile" implies it has a scramjet, which no missile in existence does. These Russian missiles are just rocket-powered ballistic missiles with some terminal guidance. It's an enormous difference.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Klyith posted:

Eh, why? A rocket engine goes just as fast as a scramjet. The only thing a scramjet does is give you longer range.

The two reasons defense is worried about hypersonic missiles:
1. Going really fast means you have less time to respond and intercept. This is true regardless of what engine you use. Long range works against high speed in this area.
2. Evasive maneuvers while going really fast are much harder to intercept, because you have far fewer cycles to observe-react while closing with the target.
1. No. You can't fly like a cruise missile if you've got a rocket motor. Just as with air-to-air missiles, these have a burn time measured in seconds.
2. Yes.

Klyith posted:

If the Kinzhal is easily intercepted by Patriots, there are a bunch of possible reasons besides "doesn't use a scramjet". On the first topic, it may not be going as fast when it gets to Kyiv airspace because the rocket is burned out. Or it may be highly observable to the Patriot's radar, so it has plenty reaction time. (Kinzhal being air-launched makes me wonder if it can't fly very low on route to its target -- that would make it kinda poo poo.)
No it can't because it's not a cruise missile, it's a ballistic missile. The rocket motor lofts it way high up, cuts out, then it comes down onto its target.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kh-47M2_Kinzhal

Klyith posted:

For number two, it doesn't do much evasion, because that's actually super hard to do at mach 10. (And even harder to both evade interceptors while still hitting your target.) These are capabilities nobody has demonstrated, and there are good reasons to be skeptical of just how it will ever work.
Actual hypersonic missiles aren't gonna fly at mach 10, more like 5-7 IIRC. But either way, they're still many many years away. The DoD has been throwing money at hypersonic missiles for 50+ years with little to show.

edit: vvvvv I should probably watch that before commenting further, I'm just going off memory

Prettz fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 16, 2023

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Bertha the Toaster posted:

The writing on ammunition thing is weird. Also, weren't they banned from being posted in the thread?

I saw one the other day and it was in response to a picture posted on Russian social media of a young girl holding a sign asking for more ammo for her dad, it was a shell with "for daddy" written on it.
I mean, it's actually not weird, it's pretty common

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

"shipborne MLRS"??? I didn't think such a term existed.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

every time I see it it makes me think of the McElroy boys calling the tetris game in the Sims "block stack 'ums" and I guffaw

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Geez I hope not. Cause Stalker was yet another game where grenade launchers fire with the speed and trajectory of a little kid underhand tossing a baseball.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

HonorableTB posted:

Lol man Ospreys look like something from Halo. I think VTOL aircraft are so cool, like something a kid would come up with
lol did you play a different halo than everyone else?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

NihilCredo posted:

Wouldn't going back to old-style timed fuzes be quite effective against drones? Much like early 20th century aircraft, they are slow, fragile, and fly at low altitude, so I would guess they can be taken down by airbursts pretty well? The fancy sensor suite you mentioned will be needed to spot and target the drat thing, but the ammunition ought to be as cheap as possible.

I guess if Raytheon actually puts into production that laser-based system of theirs, that would be the winner. Surely it'll be expensive as hell to buy and maintain, but it ought to shoot down swarms of even Mavics for a negligible marginal cost.

/armchair
Time fuzed ammo was re-born a couple decades ago and is scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZD5zFN-rps

note, nothing in this video is new, it's 10 or 20 years old

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Fatman6942! posted:

Like the president of Ukraine is a jew, but is also a nazi
Eh, there's LOTS of Jews who are full blown nazis. Not that it's not a good retort against the kind of smoothbrains who think Zelensky is a nazi. But self-hating Jews are bugfuck insane.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

It's better than nothing, but 12 AA guns is an insignificant number of AA guns.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Commodore_64 posted:

I don't know, Gepards seem like surefire solution to Shaheds and other drones they use in terror strikes, recon, counterbattery etc. I get it that 12 is not a lot, but I can image that might be enough to take the load off missiles for city defense from these drone strike tantrums. This is of course coming from absolutely 0 real knowledge, just "Gepards are good at shooting drones."
Yes but guns are very short-range. They don't have enough to cover the major cities from even the slow Shaheds. It's crazy they're not being given more AA guns.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Toxic Mental posted:

There's never going to be any agreement on what constitutes "the line" in war because depending on who you ask there will be people who say that literally everyone in Russia or wherever is culpable or enabling and therefore valid targets, and then course more reductionist viewpoints, and no one will ever have the same opinion. As such and as it is, we can't really do anything about it so it's pretty pointless to Legal Eagle any of this stuff so don't bother trying to justify or finger wag.

In other kind of weird news:

White House National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan is expected to attend peace talks on the war in Ukraine next week in Saudi Arabia, US officials said.

Ukraine is taking the lead on the effort which is expected to be attended by Western countries and developing nations. Russia is not expected to attend the talks.

Ukraine’s goal is that the talks work to identify shared principles for ending the war and that there is a peace summit later this year with global leaders signing up to support those principles, US officials said.

The talks hosted in Saudi Arabia are the second in a series of meetings organized by the head of the Office of the President of Ukraine, Andriy Yermak. The first talks took place earlier this year in Copenhagen.

Saudi Arabia was picked for the talks in part because of the country’s relationship with China, one US official explained. While China is not expected to attend the talks, US officials have publicly encouraged China in recent months to play a constructive role in resolving the Ukraine war though there has been no signal of China taking any proactive steps towards a peaceful end.

“I reiterated that we would welcome China playing a constructive role along with other nations to work toward a just peace, based on the principles of the United Nations Charter,” Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in Beijing in June.

lol "They're just sent off to live with grandma!" :rolleyes:
Holding peace talks in Saudi Arabia, who is in the midst of a years-long genocide against Yemen.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Doesn't really matter who translates it, Russian translated to English ALWAYS sounds like space aliens trying to talk like humans.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

PDP-1 posted:

The World of Dr. Evermor. Yeah, it was right across the road from the ammo plant. We used to pass that when going from Madison to Devil's Lake.

https://www.worldofdrevermor.com/
Apparently that super nintendo game had more backstory than they let on

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Mederlock posted:

Luckily for them, they're repairing ties with North Korea and are presumably buying a poo poo ton of arms, ammunition, and military goods from them rn. Maybe that is one of the big reasons they're stealing foreign currency reserves from their citizens, even North Korea won't accept their kleptostani kopeks anymore :laugh:
I REALLY hope this doesn't result in the DMZ being replenished with actually working artillery and ammunition.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Tai posted:

AIM-120 missiles are an Air to Air missiles that does not need visual or radar to fire. They'll be able to pluck out other aircraft without having to see it or Russian AA see's an F-16. It has a range of roughy 120km.
You can fire an AMRAAM off into the distance with no radar lock, but you'll be assuming it won't hit anything. If letting the missile lock onto a target by itself was reliable they'd do it all the time.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Owling Howl posted:

Well it's a little confusing. Maybe I just got the terminology all wrong. As I understand it both howitzers and self-propelled guns (SPG) are artillery. If you stick wheels or tracks on a howitzer it becomes a self-propelled gun - or self-propelled howitzer if you will.

So you saw a video of artillery striking artillery? That's not really unusual for this war or indicative of anything in particular.
SPG is a misnomer, since a "gun" is a direct-fire weapon and I only ever see it used to describe European howitzers. I never understood where SPG came from, since the term was always SPH.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Vengarr posted:

Gun can be used for any artillery piece in UK English.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/L118_light_gun
Well if a guy who joined the military hosed things up one time because no one told him, I guess that's it for military terms having meaning.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

HonorableTB posted:

There's no comment on how many missiles $192 million gets you, but napkin math estimates tells me that an AIM-120 costs about $1.37 million per missile to make, so Ukraine's getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 130-140 missiles.
AMRAAM is a fairly little missile, how could that even be? That's approaching the cost of a Tomahawk according to wikipedia.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

unzin posted:

Prayut Thongmusik
:gerty:

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

mllaneza posted:

None of that functions well after getting some titanium BBs punching holes in it.
Just FYI, titanium is not used in armor-piercing projectiles. It's too brittle and too light.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Tsyni posted:

I know this is pure Tom Clancy, but imagine Azerbaijan goes into Armenia, Georgia makes a move for South Ossetia, Chechnya...in chaos, maybe toss in Ukraine helping Moldova with Transnistria. Where is the CIA of yesteryear when we need them?
Rotting in hell hopefully!

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Toxic Mental posted:

drat that’s like $10 billion a month. That’s a tiny drop in the bucket to win WW3.
that's just shy of one Iraq-Month ($11 billion)

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Antigravitas posted:

Pictured: a good cyberpunk game.
I really hope that's not Shadowrun Returns, cause buddy...

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

beer_war posted:

Why the gently caress would you put razors in your hat?
It can be swung by the bill to cut your face.

Are you familiar with the Mexican sacatripe, used for gutting sheep... and other warm-blooded animals.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

does anyone have a list of all the subtitles this thread has had?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Seems like at some point every soldier on the front line needs to be in bomb defusal armor to survive the grenades being dropped on them nonstop.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Strategic Tea posted:

Isn't SpaceX already almost entirely funded by government contracts and grants? Or as the likes of elon might put it, :gop: gubbermint handouts!!
No, government contracts are a minor part of their revenue, and they don't have any grants.
If the government never nationalized Boeing, Lockheed, or NG, why would they nationalize SpaceX?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Sashimi posted:

If Lockheed started loving with F-16s of allied nations remotely during military operations then this would be a fair comparison.
You mean the CEO. Then they'd force the CEO out... somehow. I don't know what kind of mechanisms the US government has for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

redshirt posted:

Wasn't SpaceX subsidized by NASA in the beginning? I could be wrong.
A contract https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Orbital_Transportation_Services
You could say that saved spacex, because there's just no business for small-sat launchers. The current crop of them are getting paltry numbers of launches.