Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

awful

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Man I don't care who you're playing against, that is absolutely ridiculous. Good for him.

The real statline wasn't quite as good: https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/02/19/dwight-howards-alleged-84-point-game-in-taiwan-goes-viral-is-it-legit/

quote:

Howard made his debut with the Taoyuan Leopards in November and scored 38 points with 25 rebounds, nine assists and four blocks in a 120–115 win.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

1. Thinking the Celtics had no chance after they made the finals last year is done galaxy brain poo poo.

2. The Cs will win and his hedged bets won't come particularly close so he'll be 30,000 in the hole instead.

This was for last season, not this one.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

indigi posted:

could Johnson play good defense against bigs?

Yes. He won Finals MVP as a rookie while being the starting center since Kareem was out injured.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

a new study bible! posted:

Ah yes, anything I don’t like=Reddit

Classic SA

Well, when you are parroting an argument that isn't being used here in the SAS thread of SA...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I hope there's a court scene with the whole "The question was: is this your handwriting?" thing.

It has to, right?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

Kibner can tell you better but they're also without many other guys. And they were doing well without zion earlier this year when the rest o the roster was still healthy. But yeah season Outta hell

Rick posted:

They were really good last year without Zion and basically the same team but this year there's a lot of other things that also have gone wrong and othe rplayers who have got hurt since Zion went down.

:glomp:

Yeah, it's been a whole bunch of things. CJ playing through a finger injury on his shooting hand, Nance being in and out of injury reports, Jose in and out because of injury, Herb in and out because of injury, Dyson in and out because of injury (has been positively impactful as a rookie!), Ingram in and out because of injury, everybody on the roster going through shooting slumps at the same time, and coach Green not really getting the team to run a quality offense which has been leading to lots of bad iso's which has lead to some poor defense.

And, yeah, they were holding their own without Zion for like 10+ games. And then everyone started getting injured, leading to more usage on other guys who weren't quite ready for the increased workload, leading to more usage on other guys who weren't ready for the increased workload to a larger degree, etc.

Just a whole bunch of unfortunate poo poo other than the offense being stuck in the mud because either the scheme sucks or the players suck at consistently moving without the ball and then receiving the ball on the move/open.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, I was about to say that's new to me!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This is true but in fairness the camera guys are way too close to the action under the basket. Its crazy that players routinely crash into and trip over them doing normal drives.

I bring this up every time the topic comes back around, but those baseline cameras are what ruined CP3's knee in NOLA.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

RCarr posted:

That’s a ref with money on the game. That poo poo happens multiple times a quarter and is NEVER called. Weak

A ref called it on the Pels earlier this year after seven seconds.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

Kareem and Wilt trades were bigger.

I dare say the Magic Johnson trade that landed him on the Lakers was bigger.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This is some real Saturday morning posting, I tell you what.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

indigi posted:

get that man out of OKC

Why?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

It's Trae Young. He and a handful of other players will always get that call.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Contact with the shooting hand on a follow through is supposed to be allowed.

Hip brushes are supposed to be called as fouls on shots.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The only one I listen to, tbh.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Trey Murphy 10/12 from 3 and Ingram with b2b 10+ assist games with 0 turnovers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Isentropy posted:

Ha! I just have this memory of watching a NCAA final where like no one at all could make a shot. Probably got way better since then but that really turned me off

I think that was the Gordon Hayward's Gonzaga vs Kemba Walker's UConn game.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Henchman of Santa posted:

It was post-Hayward Butler, not Gonzaga, and that was probably the worst game ever. But even this past week UCLA went 11 minutes without a field goal and nearly won anyway.

I knew I had gotten the school wrong but it was super late and I was too lazy to fact check it. Forgot that Hayward wasn't in that game, though.

And, yeah, worst title game ever.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dutchy posted:

I wonder what's up. I mean maybe it is just basketball but I've seen Luka unhappy about basketball and if nothing else, he doesn't lack for energy. I've never really seen him this listless.

Maybe the fight with his mom over his brand?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

havelock posted:

I was kinda enjoying those announcers. That guy was just so over the top about everything (including like Maxi making a routine shot) - it seems like he just actually like basketball.

A quality often missing from national broadcasters and commentators.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Space Camp fuckup posted:

10 assists a game??? Wow

Look at the turnovers. He's been playing well on offense lately

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Vinestalk posted:

Ingram has been playing out of his mind this season. Media has been sleeping on him.

I wouldn't go that far. He's missed like half the season, for one. And struggles when coming back from injury for a few games. Has been playing well lately. Still having lapses on defense but he is at least giving effort to rebound.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NickRoweFillea posted:

Goongrats Kings

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Dyson Daniels will be a successful and healthy Lonzo Ball archetype.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

It's an effective way of combining efficiency and volume of scoring in one stat.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

temple posted:

Detroit made it. Portland. CLT, and San Antonio didn't
https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/status/1641788499429933058

Look at the Pels personnel. Now look at their defensive ranking. Herb, Richardson, Trey, and Naji are playing out of their minds on that end and just about everyone else is doing their job. It's similar to the Bulls in "how the gently caress???".

Now, if only the half-court offense can get back on track.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ammanas posted:

i don't think foul-hunters should be rewarded for their detrimental effect on the entertainment value of basketball. 2nd team at most

I don't think he foul hunts.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ammanas posted:

he averages 10.7 fta a game, basically the same as harden did in his prime hunting days. close to giannis numbers who gets fouled because thats basically the only way to stop him. sga knows what he's doing

That doesn't mean he plays in a foul hunting way with throwing his head back, hooking defenders arms on his drives, etc.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

i wonder if the game minimum is an attempt to curtail load managementing the name players.

It absolutely is.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

g league semi finals are tomorrow at 8 eastern if anyone cares about such things. no series, they're single games. finals tuesday.

Thanks! I keep meaning to watch more g league but my SO would rather I spend that time with her. 😅

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't watch much NCAA for either men's or women's but are the coaches in women's better than the men's? As in, more modern schemes, more inventive plays, less over coaching, etc.?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NickRoweFillea posted:

Kim Mulkey is a dusty old bitch!!!!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Vox Nihili posted:

What? The Spurs are a great example of a team that won a ton for years at least in part because they were run really well.

Yes, but they haven't won much the last couple years. So, they must now be a poorly run team.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

For some reason I watched a couple Charlotte games in the last two weeks and what Steve Clifford has been able to skeleton crew of guys doing with nothing really on the line, it’s pretty impressive. They’re playing defense, they look like a real basketball team. Maybe it’s a major league thing and they’re trying to mess up the draft position

They are light years more enjoyable to watch than the Rockets.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My favorite play of the game:

https://twitter.com/CCHoopsNOLA/status/1642371689135878145?t=ytyMtky3A8vJhnZZlOjEEA&s=19

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

i am a moron posted:

He was not ‘great’ lmao

For a few seasons, he absolutely was.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

i am a moron posted:

So now everyone who gets a media award is great? Your callous disregard for the word is disgusting

you are just living up to your username with every post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I really like Dyson Daniels but I worry about his lack of wiggle on offense. Probably won't ever be much of an initiator despite his fantastic passing. It helps that he is stouter-Herb on defense and has a set 3pt shot that is on the verge of being something defenses have to respect. I'm excited for him.

Somewhat relatedly, this team really loving misses Jose who has been injured for a while now. He doesn't turn the ball over much, keeps the offense moving and aggressively going to the paint, and is a pest to ballhandlers on defense. No one else has stepped up to provide those qualities off the bench.

Herb is having a sophomore slump while also getting negative respect by refs for his defense. harumph

Trey Murphy has added some driving to his game which has really opened things up for him. They are mostly straight line drives attacking closeouts, but he is still dangerous with it and has been pretty good at avoiding charges when attacking the rim from the corner.