Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like this old Ask/Tell thread:

Ask Me About Being A Birthday Party Princess
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502448&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The Wayback Machine has saved some of the good pictures too:

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

curlingiron posted:

This is also one of my favorites, so I decided to dig it up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2722818

Also realized recently that the Party Princess goon does one of my favorite webcomics.

Huh really? Which webcomic?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

curlingiron posted:

It’s called Stagtown. She mentioned in an author note that she used to work as a party princess, and later mentioned that she also wrote Bizenghast, which was what finally made the connection for me.

Oh that's neat, I might have to check that out then. :neckbeard:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

as bad as TVIV was, instantly nuking the MLP thread and preventing any of it from popping up here ever again was probably a good move

all i remember is that there was a breakaway IRC that started after the MLP thread got nuked with a user in it named "Get_Out_Frog_Pony" which isn't funny but lodged in my brain for over a decade

There was a whole MLP offsite forum where they made avatars of their pony OCs and stuff. There was also a period where someone was "retaliating" to the ban by buying a ton of users MLP avatars. It was a weird time.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
"let people (dis/un)enjoy their extinction event" could've been a banger QCS or SAD thread title

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Covering my face in secondhand embarrassment but I also can't stop giggling underneath

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
In light of this gross anonymous av purchase mismanagement, it's important to remember proper forum Op Sec

Happy Thread posted:

I'm just gonna list some more things I've observed that are definitely unacceptable bullying tactics.

• Calling posters unfunny in a discussion where no one is trying to be funny -- because there's some grievance being discussed. Using that as justification for why the discussion is not legitimate as an SA thread (i.e. not funny enough for SA). Now the "funny" posters need to intervene and attend to the rest of the discussion. The supposed "pro-comedy" stance of FYAD is just this thinly disguised common bullying trick.

• After invading a space, injecting constant whataboutism to shut down further serious conversation.

• Online griefing. Scanning the entire forum for bullying opportunities and openly discussing it (see FYAD's "gbs superstar" megathread). Frequent low-key calling for the shutdown of entire massive discussion spaces (TGRS / CSPAM / all of SA) and safe havens for marginalized people / political types in order to score a win. Abuse of the mechanics of a forum in general (registering alt accounts, sockpuppet arguments, spamming, other griefing 101 type poo poo that FYAD pioneered decades ago).

• Shutting down any conversation where the vulnerable are discussing IRL bullying or standing up for themselves by labeling it "politics". Claiming to want a "politics free" space. This is straight out of the alt right playbook (youtube link) for taking over a social media space. Once a space has become "depoliticized", running off the vulnerable members, and steering everyone else toward punching down where they once punched up. Banning "politics" in GBS. Convincing Lowtax to segregate most chat about oppression into a special subforum unabashedly called "triggers" (TGRS).

• Astroturfing. When FYAD regulars see FYAD or forums conflict being discussed, they attempt to blend in and pass their opinions off as coming from a neutral / disinterested party, instead of from themselves. Leaving hit and run opinion posts without any disclosure of vested interest. This trick worked better back when hardly anyone knew which usernames were associated with FYAD. Follow-up invasions where FYAD regulars rapidly agree with the opinion and create the illusion of thread consensus. In QCS it was frequently followed by dogpiling anyone who accuses them of astroturfing, smearing them as paranoid and unfunny to redirect the accusation, still with no disclosure that they are the very FYAD regulars being discussed.

• Discouraging everyone from monitoring the situation by claiming that their subforum only contains obscure humor that you wouldn't "get". When anyone finally overcomes that and opens FYAD, it turns out it's not incomprehensible because of the humor -- it's incomprehensible because it's full of juvenile bullying, complex drama, and threads about scanning the forum for bullying opportunities. Sociopathic behavior *is* incomprehensible to normal people.

• Whenever there's trouble, bypassing the whole community and going straight to dad. As we saw the other day, stacking their own members into Lowtax's paid YouTube chat stream and facebook feed, now that he mainly spends his time there, and admits he feels "unsafe" posting on his own forum where he faces criticism. In this case it's more than just FYAD contributing since social media at large is crawling with alt-right. But the goal is shared.

• Attacking the representative-based moderation system itself. FYAD regulars immediately dogpile mods whenever one is scandalized. At times they have coordinated and timed this behavior in the "GBS superstar" thread, which is FULL of egregious mod sass over the years. Immediately announcing a consensus that the mod should resign / be fired, independent of what the rest of the forum thinks. FAU and others got discouraged and stepped down during this treatment during threads that were overrun by FYAD regulars.

• Encouraging the overall number of mods on the site to be reduced, and using whataboutism to delay new people from being modded.

• Escalating drama wherever it happens.

• Grooming tons of individual forums figures with promises of inner-circle acceptance if they join in on the fun, where "fun" is really a stand in for abuse. Groomed individuals, who are not bullies themselves, tend to develop a bit of stockholm syndrome. Even mod/admins cowed to the fear of disapproval, labels of being "unfunny", or the crowd turning against oneself -- thus FYAD ended up with special status and immunity from the rules that you see enforced elsewhere.

• The aforementioned "I'm not touching you" trick to instigate others to punch back and get punished while they enjoy relative immunity.

Sorry for yet another effortpost about FYAD and abuse. I think this is the place for it, moreso than anywhere else on SA that I normally yell in.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Clapping and barking like a bemused seal while I catch up on all the posts.

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

wake up

transphobic avatar that you made up

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I hope the mod and admin hive collective now understand both the importance of this historic thread and also the vital role of robust community feedback threads.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I was so confused about why there were extra buttons at the top of the thread now lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr. Fix It posted:

question: do these forums make people insane or merely attract the already insane? some combination of the two?

I'd say both. Posting online a lot skews your perspective of things and how you socialize. Social media stuff like Facebook or Twitter are great at making it worse. This is a dramatic troll forum so it self-selects on top of that, but eh you could look over at reddit and see it's just as prone to petty tyranny, completely inane power tripping stuff, and bizarre drama.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

i think a big thing that separates these forums from facebook or twitter is that its a large enough community that it feels like there's people but its a small enough one that becoming known to everyone on it is reasonably possible. combine that with the relatively 'buttoned up' rules (people on twitter only get banned for like, posting coordinates to a bomb) and accounts having an active cost/people being actively driven out of the community sometimes it really feeds into these sorts of weird social power fantasies.

That's a good point. Facebook and Reddit can have communities, but they're often too big to mod the same way you do here. Plus Facebook and Twitter have their layer of mod bots and such before it reaches the completely faceless people spending miserable work days mopping up all the messes on those websites. This website is large but not so large that the mods are out of reach. They're around and are supposed to engage with people. The paid admission does mean people have more of a stake in the um "well being" I guess of their account, too.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Anyone who's been in any kind of community, especially small and segmented ones, drat well knows this kind of insane bullshit isn't at all restricted to online, it's just that online has receipts for what you do and say.

Yeah that's true. With more IRL interactions the forum posts are just replaced with face-to-face gossip, or texts, or emails.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Saga request: when did "I'm gay" become a catchphrase

Vaguely remember an early oughts gassed thread where it appeared but no idea what it was now let alone if that was the first time someone did it as a shitpost no content reply to a bad thread

The SAclopedia has an entry from 2007 saying it was originally a FYAD catchphrase: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2030

I remember in GBS 2.0 it pretty quickly became the default first page threadshit type post, so it might've filtered out into the rest of the forum from there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

Every once in awhile my mom will tell me about the kind of stuff she sees on genealogy forums/Facebook groups for like, people descended from original Mayflower pilgrims and it is absolutely bugfuck insane. Like we’re used to it here but there’s nothing like an irl Karen being told that no, the genealogy proves that you did not have an ancestor on the mayflower and also no you are not related to fuckin Pocahontas. Holy poo poo people go CRAZY.

I feel like genealogy is one of those hyper-cursed subjects that's like apple cider vinegar to the fruit flies of completely mad minds. Which sucks because it's also really interesting.

Oxxidation posted:

Psycho Serum

She was "Crane Fist" for a while too.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 25, 2023

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The 7th Guest posted:

this is the one i remember lol

My weed-smoking cyberpunk girlfriend.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If anyone wants some good ongoing sagas, it is officially the start of Baby Lamb season, so Instant Jellyfish is reporting on all the baby sheep popping out at her farm, plus additional contributors posting about their baby goats: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886000

(Fair warning that they do talk about animal death and injury sometimes in the natural course of birthing farm animals or animals passing on.)

To be honest, I think threadbans aren't very productive. So as long as Seth is contributing to a discussion and not just shaking his rear end invitingly, I would rather let bygones be bygones. If anyone feels different though, they're free to go for it.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 26, 2023

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Arm reduction made me remember this old post:

quote:

I was in middle school when Dragonball Z was a huge hit. I was a dorky middle schooler when the Androids and Cell Saga were on, and I rushed home every day to watch it. I started studying it, going online to research the Japanese version and all the episodes that hadn't hit the US yet, and became a pretty big name online on the Temple O' Trunks and DBZ: Uncensored message boards. Incredibly nerdy looking back but at the time, it was my life.

That's where the story would end for most people, it would be an embarrassing childhood moment. But I also discovered something else at that time - I really liked working out and getting stronger. I copied the DBZ method of training - I filled a bookbag with rocks, tied lead weights into my clothes, weight down my shoes with cement blocks, stuff like that. And then I'd try working out in that. And for a while it worked really well. I was doing a lot of high impact exercises and my skinny/flabby body was responding well. I was bulking up and in my mind, I was becoming one step closer to the characters I idolized on TV. I wasn't completely stupid, I knew I couldn't turn super saiya-jin or anything like that.

Until one morning I couldn't get out of bed.

My parents had to carry me to the car and took me to the ER. I had torn several vertebral arteries, which lead to multiple strokes. I was 15 years old.

I spent the next several weeks in the hospital recovering, and then nearly a year after that in physical therapy. My left arm is still noticeably smaller than my right one, and I'm skinny enough that I wear a women's small T-shirt, despite being a nearly 30 year old man.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Invictus posted:

when he was in the hospital, did he spend time in their hyperbolic spine chamber?

He flew too close to the sun

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

tristeham posted:

guessing they have a weird grudge against this thread.

I'm going to guess someone went through and reported a bunch of posts out of spite and Philippe wasn't paying attention. It'd be a pretty stupid stunt to pull out of spite.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

She did this before lol

Yeah and before it was also someone reporting posts to get people owned by outside mods. Very webcomic-Philippe move to fall for the same trap twice tbh.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Jurassic Park: Trespasser LP by Research Indicates was super interesting and informative. That and supergreatfriend's LP of Deadly Premonition, which is probably the best way to get the story of the game if you don't want to tackle the game itself.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 27, 2023

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oxxidation posted:

apparently so because he was perfectly fine when he got back. the guy was a rootin-tootin texan outdoorsman on top of being a former radio jockey or something. the latter's definitely evident in his lp presentation

e: the post:

This is great and really does fit his delivery in the Trespasser LP, which feels like a nature trek with an experienced guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6A3SaRr26M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDK6Q2v8HPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oepl6lL6kK0

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It was pretty funny when people objected to permabanning the dick rape pregnancy guy because it was a clear tankie plot though. Someone repost that so I can lol at it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Thank you lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Once again my balls have been obliterated by the Sex-Negative Tankie Antis Crew.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think that guy was actually pro-ball obliteration

He clearly noted his fetishes did not mirror his "tastes in reality." His interest in testes destruction was purely academic.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Terrible Opinions posted:

5 was the racist one. 6 was the one that was way too long.

6 wasn't too long, imo. It was 4 (5?) weird and short games rushed out by a bunch of separate teams that barely communicated. So it felt excruciating as a whole.

Frank Frank posted:

That was the one with the Ada Wong scenario then that was just a string of endless action set pieces? God I owned Operation Raccoon City and played the gently caress out of it. What am I doing with my life?

The best part of the Ada scenario in 6 is that they had to make all the scenarios co-op like RE5, and instead of giving her a partner like everyone else has, if you co-op it's just some faceless guy in miltech armor who stands around like a golem

Feels Villeneuve posted:

re5 was considered "somewhat racist" back before it was a big press topic, I can't imagine how badly it comes off now

I've seen some blind playthroughs of RE5 in recent years and the trajectory is always "Oh this isn't as bad as I expected." Followed by them entering the village where everyone's "regressed" into grass skirts, tribal masks, and chucking spears around and going "Ohhhh noooo...."

It sucks because Sheva is a really cool. I don't know how they'd do a remake of 5 without drastically reworking the whole back half of the game though. The bits that aren't racist are completely dull shooting galleries. Maybe they'll clean up the first REmake? Or jump to Code Veronica and just redo that one in full first?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
double post

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This is also the protagonist in Chris's campaign

Hey now, at least they attempted to give Chris' fanboy a very tragic and moving death at the end of their campaign. He was an object who was acknowledged to exist within the confines of the story.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It was something like twice as long as 5 if you played all four campaigns. Maybe not too long in an object sense but too long for the kind of experience they were delivering.

5 was pretty short compared to 4 though, to be fair. But yeah 4 and 5 both feel way better to play than most of 6. The only part of 6 that was remotely fun was the Sherry/Linkin Park chapter because Linkin Park had a decent and unique hand-to-hand combat style.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

my favorite is the big confrontation between Chris and Leon where Chris is like "do you have any idea what's going on!?" and Leon responds "yeah, I do, trust me," where if you're playing Chris' campaign first, you'll assume that, yeah, ok, Chris hasn't really been paying attention or asking questions, maybe Leon has some context that squares everything. Then you play Leon's story and he is somehow even less looped in than Chris lmao

Chris acting like Elmer Fudd desperate to kill Ada Wong's Bugs Bunny and shaking his fist every time she got away was great, even if it was an incredibly dumb way to drive a wedge between Leon and Chris.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

what's there to unpack?

his torture tools, evidently.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm reading that Ancient Rome fanboy posting that was linked in here a bit ago now and lol

Agesilaus posted:

Academic and professional institutions have waned where law schools exist and are often necessary to become a lawyer. The schools simply waste three years of your life and place you in an immense amount of debt, despite having very little to do with the practice of law, very little to do with the formation and support of gentlemanly practitioners, and ultimately very little to do with anything of value at all. Law schools are a black mark on academia and the legal profession, and allowing such dreadful institutions to serve as gatekeepers is really a harmful regression from better days.

Okay I see where you're starting off detecting some baseline issues with modern societies...

Agesilaus posted:

Politically, culturally, economically, and socially, many modern societies are flawed in certain respects compared to ancient societies like that of Sparta. Modern America, for example, is oppressed by the nobility clause, does not have an explicit class-based society, and in many ways is governed and controlled by low class people given over to money. Importantly, the institutions are designed to be vulgar and are beholden to lower class interests.

I guess the rot at the root of American democracy is actually the poors? Unlike the completely un-stratified ancient Greeks, especially Sparta. :stare:

Then someone posts a lot of ancient Roman dick carvings....

Agesilaus posted:

If you lot can't respond to what I've said, then just move on. There's no need to trot out the same, tired joke about ancient graffiti. I never said ancients were better or worse at graffiti, in case you're legitimately wondering, so give it a rest.

Agesilaus posted:

I'm seriously laughing right now over how ridiculous and close-minded you lot are being[...]

Frosted Flake posted:

Did you skip your class on Classical democracy? Are you suggesting that we go back to social classes and citizenship? What is the ideal ratio of slaves to freedman?
No; yes; and that's a topic for discussion.

:catstare:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Chewbecca posted:

Tag yourself, I'm "Lexi Hugeback"

Emily Downer

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

watching a 4 hour video about the pressing anxiety of profit motivated climate change in elder scrolls 3 morrowind, then buying a steel poster of dagoth ur and a mug to support the channel

I'd listen to Dagoth Ur's video essay channel. He has a very soothing villain voice.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Those channels always make merch that has like their channel name or inside jokes on them. The last things anyone would ever want to display to the world that they know about.

The ones that make little plushies of themselves are the ones I really question.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
How's it hanging all my moon and stars? We're back again to break down yet another act of savagery no man, mer, or lizard should have to see. That's right. We're doing this.

[logo of YIIK appears on the screen]

Come Nerevar, let's look upon this heart.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sad question posted:

Why would video about the best of these be the shortest?

Did Oblivion or Skyrim have a writer take acid for a week to write lore for them?

Part of it was an escalating joke because people got mad at how long the Morrowind video was. He deliberately made the Skyrim video 11 hours 11 minutes and 11 seconds and released it on 11/11/22, like how Skyrim was (originally) released on 11/11/11.

pentyne posted:

Who was that woman twitter weirdos tried to drag over a 12 hour Joker review by a bunch of a furries, and when she tweeted "yeah, I'm not gonna watch that" she got a ton of poo poo from people accusing her of making it about herself for no reason until she pointed out they literally put her name in the title of the video.

That was Jenny Nicholson btw. And I'm not clear how bringing her up would incite holy wars like TheSwizzler mentioned. She just talks in a low-key and humorous way about things. Either you click on her video and decide if she's drawing you in with whatever niche thing she's obsessing over this time, or you don't vibe with it and wait 6 months for another video.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 1, 2023

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Anyway the best youtuber is this wizard guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

but like every top tier youtuber he barely posts stuff.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

That’s gotta be a record for the goon phenomena of
-“Thing sucks! Yeah!”
-Goons discuss an absolutely encyclopedic knowledge of every instance of it, knowing every example.
-“Actually THIS six hour video is good, everyone would like it who could hate it.”

There's youtubers who are good background noise while you're cleaning or walking/jogging outside or grinding out a video game. Then there's youtubers who fart out interminable content I don't recommend. It's still rude to link something longer than 10 minutes when someone's asking a question, unless that question is: "Does anyone have some really detailed video breakdown about X thing?"

sweet geek swag posted:

There are some people in the RLM thread who don't like to be reminded that there are emotions other than despair that your youtube host can emote. I say this as a RLM fan.

It's just a difference in perspective, really. Mike finds joy in old people existing. Jay finds joy in cannibal horror movies. Rich finds joy somewhere... I'm sure.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Boba Pearl posted:

wandering around my condo muttering "I lack ENRICHMENT in my ENCLOSURE"

I make sure to load up a number of Kong toys with peanut butter and trail mix and freeze them overnight to make it through the day when the separation anxiety kicks in.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
What the gently caress is a tractor pull?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

you take two tricked out tractors and play tug of war or try to haul heavy objects. it’s a thing in some parts. pretty much a way to spend time drinking and watching heavy machines do they thing.

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

you try to pull stuff with tractors.

Huh. I think I'd prefer to go watch monster trucks, but I guess that's probably harder to put together or buy seats for.