Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Nothus posted:

Banks don't need the business of little people. That person was being politely told to gently caress off. Around me, major banks are shrinking their operations to just an ATM in a parking lot.

I tried to get something notarized at my local bank branch (a service they advertised having) and they pretty much treated me like a homeless guy that wandered in there and acted like I was crazy for expecting a notary to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Maed posted:

was the customer a minority and/or poor looking?

Indian lady, looked normal, I can't tell if someone is poor by looking at them but maybe the bank can.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
big banks got rid of wet signatures and notaries services. Go to a baby bank

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Indian lady, looked normal, I can't tell if someone is poor by looking at them but maybe the bank can.

VEGETA, WHAT DOES THE SCANNER SAY ABOUT HIS INCOME LEVEL?!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I can't tell if someone is poor by looking at them

heh. you just revealed your own poorness :smug:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

post hole digger posted:

they want you to do that online.

Just seems nuts though, there are plenty of olds with huge piles of money who are allergic to doing anything online. You're a bank branch! Customers are supposed to be there! They literally want to give you money!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

I was in a major American bank branch earlier today to deal with some bullshit and overheard a bizarre conversation between a customer and a clerk. The customer was there to open a new bank account, which I feel is a pretty basic function of a bank branch. The clerk said they were all booked up today and couldn't help them open an account, and they were booked for tomorrow, no openings. In fact they claimed to be booked up all the way through May. Sorry, no account for you, but you can always try doing a walk-in on some other day. There was a grand total of one other customer in the branch and a number of employees sitting around.

What the gently caress?

Wells Fargo?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wells Fargo?

BofA

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

What's BofA?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I switched away from those fuckers back in 2007 after they kept processing my rent check before my paychecks even though I got paid several days before I wrote the rent check.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Figured it was gonna be either one of these two, but I've had a long-running bet with a friend of mine that WFC is gonna be the first major bank to implode.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

FlapYoJacks posted:

What's BofA?

Nothjng much, what’s up with you?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Vox Nihili posted:

they can, the same way a bartender is trained to know if you're too drunk

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Figured it was gonna be either one of these two, but I've had a long-running bet with a friend of mine that WFC is gonna be the first major bank to implode.
WFC does too many crimes and evilishly cooked-books ran to be failed. bofa is also evil but very incompetently ran with incompetent cooked-books so will be first to go I think

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FlapYoJacks posted:

What's BofA?

https://i.imgur.com/woVV111.gifv

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

FlapYoJacks posted:

What's BofA?

BOFA DEEZ NUTZ

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Nybble posted:

Nothjng much, what’s up with you?

BOFA deez nutz

e: gently caress

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

I was in a major American bank branch earlier today to deal with some bullshit and overheard a bizarre conversation between a customer and a clerk. The customer was there to open a new bank account, which I feel is a pretty basic function of a bank branch. The clerk said they were all booked up today and couldn't help them open an account, and they were booked for tomorrow, no openings. In fact they claimed to be booked up all the way through May. Sorry, no account for you, but you can always try doing a walk-in on some other day. There was a grand total of one other customer in the branch and a number of employees sitting around.

What the gently caress?
I was told I needed to book an appointment just to get into my safe deposit box. Every time I go to the branch, it’s empty as in not many people but also not many employees. The bankers who do new accounts, loans, etc are all busy and probably with the high interest rates they’ve cut staff as demand has dried up.

There are 15 cubes and usually only 2-3 bankers, if that, doing loans or new accounts etc.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Do they adjust the FDIC insured number for inflation?

e: yes, last increase was in 2008 from $100k to $250k. Prior to that the last increase was in 1980 then 1974. Intriguing years

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Apr 16, 2024

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

I sold too soon

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Glumwheels posted:

I was told I needed to book an appointment just to get into my safe deposit box. Every time I go to the branch, it’s empty as in not many people but also not many employees. The bankers who do new accounts, loans, etc are all busy and probably with the high interest rates they’ve cut staff as demand has dried up.

There are 15 cubes and usually only 2-3 bankers, if that, doing loans or new accounts etc.

Imagining the dude waking up from a ten year coma with a cryptic blood soaked letter with a safety deposit box key racing to the bank skirting around g-men who are chasing him then being told he has to make an appointment and to get lost

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Glumwheels posted:

And despite all of that there have been like 3 or 4 new bank branches opened in the past couple years on my (short) commute to work. Is it just laundering or something?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

And despite all of that there have been like 3 or 4 new bank branches opened in the past couple years on my (short) commute to work. Is it just laundering or something?

Bank branches are basically marketing budget and you don't need to staff a billboard

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

They leveled our local Denny's for a big, expensive looking Chase branch. Now there banks on each corner of the intersection.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

the popes toes posted:

In anticipation of that there are bills in both House and Senate to restrict federally funded health providers from buying equipment and services from "foreign adversary biotech companies" (we all know who they are).

Look, if you're going to get bilked, it should be done with American healthcare equipment, so let's make a law.

You'll take my Siemens from my cold dead hands, congress!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think banks just have deep pockets that even a zillion branches are a rounding error, though depends if they’re renting or actual buying property for the branch? if it’s bought land/building, maybe it is property squatting as free advertising as

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Lacrosse posted:

I switched away from those fuckers back in 2007 after they kept processing my rent check before my paychecks even though I got paid several days before I wrote the rent check.

lol they did this to me too! i worked for a company that was too lovely to implement direct deposit, so every payday i had to go manually deposit a paper check. BofA would process any debits before credits in the hopes of forcing an overdraft and extracting fees. they disclosed that they were allowed to do this, so it was perfectly legal lol

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Asproigerosis posted:

You'll take my Siemens from my cold dead hands, congress!

theyll keep the equipment around, but youll be replaced with a cna or receptionist. the new private owners of your clinic or hospital have determined additional efficiencies are needed, and anybody can fill your role. in fact, the neoliberal state has decided to waive licensing requirements due to critical staffing shortages.

*click!*

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Banks seem to be in a weird place with fraud prevention efforts. I've opened 2 online banking accounts recently to get a new account bonus and both temporarily froze the account for potential fraud when I transferred in the money necessary to get the bonus.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

0/10

Pathetic bicep. Go to the gym, idiot

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i can fix her

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
BofA seems to be closing down its bricks and mortar operations anyhow; the one closest to me is a boarded-up storefront now and the one I go to downtown is like trying to get into a prison.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xaris posted:

WFC does too many crimes and evilishly cooked-books ran to be failed. bofa is also evil but very incompetently ran with incompetent cooked-books so will be first to go I think

Neither of them will be allowed to implode or even miss a bonus. The public purse is at their disposal.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ah, the crime bank

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

i’ve been trying to transfer money to a credit union account from my existing citizens account. in the space of a week i’ve visited the citizens branch twice and my account has been frozen three times

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

piss guzzler 420 posted:

i’ve been trying to transfer money to a credit union account from my existing citizens account. in the space of a week i’ve visited the citizens branch twice and my account has been frozen three times

citizens had branches inside the local grocery chain here for like a decade and in the span of a month they've all been torn out lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

before that, they usually had like a Blockbuster in that same spot. so hopefully we'll move back to that.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

citizens had branches inside the local grocery chain here for like a decade and in the span of a month they've all been torn out lol

Yeah, same thing happened to my grocery store bank. They replaced the bank front with a lawn chair display. There's signs up saying "Please do not sit on furniture" and I was indignant that they replaced the place I wasn't allowed to sit at with another place I'm not allowed to sit at.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Hehehehehe

Profits up
Inflation up
Volume down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Hehehehehe

Profits up
Inflation up
Volume down

yeah I like to lolread some corporate earnings presentations and they all state that volume is down 11% but profit is up 33%. checkout kelloggs as a fun one