Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lacrosse posted:

I switched away from those fuckers back in 2007 after they kept processing my rent check before my paychecks even though I got paid several days before I wrote the rent check.

Yeah, I dropped them around the same time because they were also doing bullshit to me. Been happy with the regional credit union ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

I was in a major American bank branch earlier today to deal with some bullshit and overheard a bizarre conversation between a customer and a clerk. The customer was there to open a new bank account, which I feel is a pretty basic function of a bank branch. The clerk said they were all booked up today and couldn't help them open an account, and they were booked for tomorrow, no openings. In fact they claimed to be booked up all the way through May. Sorry, no account for you, but you can always try doing a walk-in on some other day. There was a grand total of one other customer in the branch and a number of employees sitting around.

What the gently caress?

Last year I went to the newly opened branch of my local large credit union to withdraw a bunch of cash. I walk in, get greeted by someone with a computer, and am told they don't have any tellers at this location but I can use the ATM.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

I thought that was HSBC or Credit Suisse or ...

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nonsense posted:

big banks got rid of wet signatures and notaries services. Go to a baby bank

UPS store does notary work now, guess they thought it was easy revenue.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

but you repeat yourself

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

super sweet best pal posted:

UPS store does notary work now, guess they thought it was easy revenue.

It is ez revenue, just keep a book forever. That's all you gotta do

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Going to the UPS store to have all my posts officially notarized

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

that's all of them

Wells Fargo should have eaten poo poo long ago for their crimes, and lol at the fact that they still exist

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Consolidated Ed posted:

dont forget, the supreme court is gonna make rent control illegal

It's already illegal for municipalities to have rent control under Illinois state law.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Neither of them will be allowed to implode or even miss a bonus. The public purse is at their disposal.

funny you should say that. Last week FINMA (Switzerland's equivalent to the FDIC+SEC) released their report on new policy recommendations following UBS's acquisiton of CS. and then the FDIC released a report on how they would've handled the collapse of a G-SIB like CS in the US. per the FT:

quote:

Switzerland’s decision last year to merge Credit Suisse with UBS was an “unhelpful” way to deal with a failing global bank and US regulators would not shrink from a full shutdown in a similar situation, the chair of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation has warned.
Martin Gruenberg spoke to the Financial Times as his agency issued a paper detailing how it would handle the collapse of a global systemically important bank (G-SIB) such as Credit Suisse. He said the FDIC was seeking to remind shareholders, creditors and executives that they cannot rely on government bailouts similar to those that stabilised the financial system after Lehman Brothers collapsed in 2008.
US authorities have never used the authority they were given after the 2008 crisis to handle global [G-SIB] bank failures. The FDIC employed its standard bank closure powers to handle last year’s regional banking crisis including the shutdowns of Silicon Valley Bank, Signature and First Republic.
"I would put JPMorgan or another G-SIB into a resolution process,” he said. “We think this is doable . . . [and] it would be vastly better from a financial stability standpoint and a market standpoint, and an equity fairness standpoint to be able to manage an orderly failure of one of these firms.”

very funny and bold of the FDIC chair to say this, knowing he'd never actually be permitted

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I was genuinely confused reading reports that the Disney+ streaming service was losing a lot of money. How could they possibly lose money streaming Disney content, they already made most of it decades ago. Maybe most people know already but this Forbes article explained it well, though they took way too many words when it was essentially:

quote:

Instead of being satisfied with its spellbinding performance, Disney doubled down and commissioned dedicated Disney+ shows and movies, spending $33 billion on content in 2022 alone. Driven by ego in a bid to attract more subscribers than Netflix, Disney upped the ante and it didn't pay off.

Pretty much everything that could go wrong for Disney did go wrong. Taxes soared as governments sought to claw back the massive furlough payments made during the pandemic. At the same time, inflation surged due to the war in Ukraine and local factors such as Brexit in the United Kingdom. Meanwhile, consumers were still wary of returning to cinemas due to the risk of catching covid. However, they weren't stuck indoors any more so they had less of a need for streaming subscriptions and less money to pay for them.
As a lazy person this was exasperating to read. They could have made so much money if they just did nothing and let people pay them to stream their content.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Consolidated Ed posted:

dont forget, the supreme court is gonna make rent control illegal

scotus denied cert to the consolided cases on Feb 20th (leaving it safe for now)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

KirbyKhan posted:

It is ez revenue, just keep a book forever. That's all you gotta do

yep. incredibly easy to do, barely any work involved, and rich people will pay big bucks. learn to notarize kids

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FINMA balls

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

lol my grocery store has a tip jar now, how much do people usually tip at grocery stores?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nocturtle posted:

I was genuinely confused reading reports that the Disney+ streaming service was losing a lot of money. How could they possibly lose money streaming Disney content, they already made most of it decades ago. Maybe most people know already but this Forbes article explained it well, though they took way too many words when it was essentially:

As a lazy person this was exasperating to read. They could have made so much money if they just did nothing and let people pay them to stream their content.

lol at "people weren't stuck indoors anymore".

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Colin Mockery posted:

lol my grocery store has a tip jar now, how much do people usually tip at grocery stores?

here's a tip: establish a workers dictatorship instead!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jesus Christ lol

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1780285477050032555

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

stealing is becoming more and more justified

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

stealing is becoming more and more justified

Always was

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
See it was only bad actors raising prices

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

piss guzzler 420 posted:

i’ve been trying to transfer money to a credit union account from my existing citizens account. in the space of a week i’ve visited the citizens branch twice and my account has been frozen three times

Shohei Ohtani's former best friend embezzled $16 million after he called the bank speaking fluent English and claiming to be Ohtani, and answered some biographical questions that could be found on Wikipedia.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:( Ohtaneh...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

housing starts always drop a bunch from feb to march. i think bc at that point you're timing into the winter selling season

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
the stock exchange in denmark burned down

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
MY TULIPS

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

webcams for christ posted:

scotus denied cert to the consolided cases on Feb 20th (leaving it safe for now)

really? gently caress thats good news, ty for telling me

still gonna say d2a

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

Paid family leave is usually taxable by the feds. This employer likely knows this but was told not to give ~tax advice~ for liability reasons so they just let their employees flounder instead.

I mean of course it is right? Does it not show up on the W2?

If it were ‘t taxed execs would all be getting paid as family leave instead of regular salaries.

if I were the IRS I would also tell them not to bother me with such matters.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Scarabrae posted:

the stock exchange in denmark burned down

it used to be the stock exchange but when it burned down it was the hq for the denmark chamber of commerce so it's still good that it happened

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
if you file your taxes in WA it will at some point prompt you if you took family medical leave and guide you on how to pay taxes on it.

I mean it’s income like any, even unemployment gets taxed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Things that happen in a booming economy:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

*daneishly* that's the perfidious dutch

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

SKULL.GIF posted:

To be honest I’m surprised it has lasted this long. Sure their biscuits are good but the rest of the menu is simultaneously mediocre and expensive. Though I guess that’s true for a lot of those chains so who knows what’s doing them in.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

PoundSand posted:

To be honest I’m surprised it has lasted this long. Sure their biscuits are good but the rest of the menu is simultaneously mediocre and expensive. Though I guess that’s true for a lot of those chains so who knows what’s doing them in.

but CRAB, so delicious (drowned in butter)

and LOBSTER (similarly drowned)

nevermind these are BUGS

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Red lobster is proof you can make anything good with enough garlic, butter, and salt

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

SKULL.GIF posted:

me to my landlord: yeah im looking at restructuring my debt, rent will have to wait sorry

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Vox Nihili posted:

They leveled our local Denny's for a big, expensive looking Chase branch. Now there banks on each corner of the intersection.

Personally I’m waiting for the big banks to also get into the pawn business, then they can co-locate pawn shops next to their banks really maximize that wealth extraction.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

PoundSand posted:

you should take a look at an ihop or dennys menu. $19 for an omelette, $20+ for entrees

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

PoundSand posted:

if you file your taxes in WA it will at some point prompt you if you took family medical leave and guide you on how to pay taxes on it.

I mean it’s income like any, even unemployment gets taxed.

??? The only thing FMLA does is require your employer to hold your job for you for up to 12 weeks of covered absence. There is no payment, any pay you get would come from pto or sick pay or whatever benefit arrangement your employer has with you.

Federal labor laws are much worse than you think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

??? The only thing FMLA does is require your employer to hold your job for you for up to 12 weeks of covered absence. There is no payment, any pay you get would come from pto or sick pay or whatever benefit arrangement your employer has with you.

Federal labor laws are much worse than you think!

Washington state has actual family/medical leave