Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

funny how all the jobs rhat actually involve doing something beneficial for the world are the lowest paid and worst.

almost like something isn’t allocating our resources efficiently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

What is the highest number?

where you gonna go from there???

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Venomous posted:

ah, a Sumerian

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I have a Costco credit card. Got a sudden late notice + $30 charge for a bill I could swear was due in May according to the website, but the email said April instead. Anyway, looked at my bank account and saw a transfer in April 2023 for "Costco card - late payment?" so I guess they just do this poo poo every year around this time. gently caress you Costco Card!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Venomous posted:

Hear me out: What if, 25????

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Hear me out: What if, 25????

what about 30? It's higher than 24 by like 5 or 6

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Furiously willing the economy to implode to own The Krug.

He's an economist, fool, he'll just change the measurements to get 2.5%. he is unownable because he has no basis in reality, like all economists

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol it takes to 2m15s before he blames pro Hamas takes on the app

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

What is the highest number?

i can count all the way to schwifty-five

and i can show you how faster than you can say “poopy doo-doo pants”

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

LonsomeSon posted:

i can count all the way to schwifty-five

and i can show you how faster than you can say “poopy doo-doo pants”

cringe

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

this will be good for NUMBER

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Grapplejack posted:

He's an economist, fool, he'll just change the measurements to get 2.5%. he is unownable because he has no basis in reality, like all economists

the priests of capital are incapable of feeling shame or being owned or else they wouldn’t be where they are, spreading the good word of number :hmmyes:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Beached Whale posted:

i know we rag pretty hard on online advertising here, but sometimes i don't think we give them enough for how well they manage to continually make things even stupider for everyone involved

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1784599450935029920

A bunch of different platforms have these "automated" ad tools and I'm honestly shocked to see a professional advertiser acting like they've ever been good. It's just gambling. You shove money into the box with very little (or no) control over what you're paying for and hope that more money comes out the other side. These tools will routinely churn your entire daily budget serving ads to people in countries that literally can't buy whatever you're selling.

I'm convinced that there's a good portion of targeted advertising that performs worse than just blindly serving ads to any eyeballs that show up.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Apr 30, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Horseshoe theory posted:

It means Skydance is taking over and the (former) CEO is getting a golden parachute.

The mission impossible theme made me picture parachute literally

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/new-beginning-how-prison-run-call-center-changed-my-life-walenciak

You see, four of Televerde’s nine call centers are staffed entirely by women in the Arizona State Prison complex in Perryville. They have a fifth call center run by women in the Indiana State Correctional Facility in Rockville.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

which version? hope it was take a look around

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/new-beginning-how-prison-run-call-center-changed-my-life-walenciak

You see, four of Televerde’s nine call centers are staffed entirely by women in the Arizona State Prison complex in Perryville. They have a fifth call center run by women in the Indiana State Correctional Facility in Rockville.

quote:

While I wasn’t allowed to hug my new friends in Perryville, I did thank them for opening my eyes (hugs will come later, after their release).

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

lmao (macabre)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

what's most disturbing are the comments where people are just nodding along at how heartwarming it all is instead of the correct response, screaming obscenities

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0628/companies-televerde-hitachi-netapp-cisco-salvation-at-center.html?sh=a19677921841

Andria Goodwin is in her cubicle. She has her headset on and is in the middle of trying to sell an indifferent manager at a big insurance company on the idea of buying a very expensive database software package. He wants to back out: "This sounds like a conversation for our IT staff." Goodwin has heard that one before. "Why? You'll be the one using this stuff," she says in a matter-of-fact tone.

He pauses, then gives in. He agrees to a follow-up call the next week. Goodwin beams, knowing she converted a cold call into a solid lead. "If you follow a script, you'll fail every time," she says.

At the end of her shift Goodwin, 38, will head back to her cell block at the Arizona State Prison Complex in Perryville, 25 miles west of Phoenix. She's almost done serving her five-year sentence for fraud.

But Goodwin clawed her way back toward a semblance of a respectable life and had a job waiting for her upon her release in April, thanks to a company called Televerde, which operates four call centers at Perryville. Televerde is staffed by 250 "ladies," as they proudly prefer to be called, who show up for their shifts in bright orange jumpsuits. They submit to strip searches and are sometimes heckled by the guards, but once they've put on that headset, these women are in another world. "You get your dignity back," says Goodwin, who also had $8,000 in savings waiting for her on the other side.

Televerde generated $12.1 million in revenue last year and is growing profitably. Hooker's customers are some of the biggest names in tech: Cisco , NetApp , Hitachi , SAP . A signed poster from Bill Gates hangs on several walls in Perryville: "To Televerde, Keep up the great work." These firms discreetly rely on Televerde's women to sell complex, multimillion-dollar software and hardware systems. Says Cisco sales manager Christina Foley: "Their technical aptitude is off the charts."

A dozen former inmates who now work for Televerde are gathered around a boardroom table. They're joking about who will eat the first cookie and swapping turnaround stories. Amy Heiser, a woman who entered Perryville at 19 and pregnant, has tears in her eyes. "Prison was the best thing that ever happened to me," she says. The room is silent for a second, and then everyone roars. "Me, too," one gal chimes. "Absolutely," says another. "No doubt."

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
God drat america

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

The337th posted:

Re: megacorp Veterinary

My wife worked for one of those Mars subsidiaries when we met, and a few years later she got promoted from a vet assistant to clinic manager

It only took about 9 months juggling the roles of basically managing a retail and medical business simultaneously (endless pressure from above to do whatever it takes to pump those numbers on selling healthcare "plans", while the medicine side is the supposed top priority) to completely derail her into having to quit and go find work in another field

She's friends with a veterinarian who loathes her career at this point but there's no changing course with that much debt sunk into getting there

It's a dog poo poo field to work in, and the private practices aren't any better, assistants and techs are even more horribly underpaid than the corporate gigs, some of the veterinarians who are double dipping as small business tyrants and numbed to the job stresses are probably doing alright

e; the same location in question recently had a ~3 year old dog die while under anesthesia because they were shorthanded that day and had a receptionist monitoring during routine dental work

again, the medical side is the top priority of course, but if you're in charge don't think too much about that when you're cutting hours or avoiding overtime like any other retail business

The place I work the last manager was "managing" three other hospitals basically never came in thankfully she's gone now she was a real bitch. I was also doing a graveyard gig recently that included watching critical animals that were left overnight at a privately owned vet and lmao I am not qualified to be doing that those animals would be hosed if there was an emergency. At least at my other job they specifically do *not* allow that so that's respectable at least.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

chhhrrrrriiiisssssstttttttttt

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

:)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Slavery into wage slavery

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

what's most disturbing are the comments where people are just nodding along at how heartwarming it all is instead of the correct response, screaming obscenities

I don't see what her hourly rate was during the prison gig. :confused:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't see what her hourly rate was during the prison gig. :confused:

they were being paid in dignity and job skills, if you think about it. :unsmith:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
theranos is BACK bay-beeee. this time with AI

if only ms. holmes (GOAT) waited a few years hse coulda been saying AI nine hundred times each quarterly earning and be running a $5 trillion market cap company right now

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lol they've empowered a triumvirate to hold temporary power

quote:

Chris McCarthy, George Cheeks and Brian Robbins will make up an “Office of the CEO,” running Paramount on a day-to-day basis for now. The three executives will work with the Paramount board and CFO Naveen Chopra.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0628/companies-televerde-hitachi-netapp-cisco-salvation-at-center.html?sh=a19677921841

Andria Goodwin is in her cubicle. She has her headset on and is in the middle of trying to sell an indifferent manager at a big insurance company on the idea of buying a very expensive database software package. He wants to back out: "This sounds like a conversation for our IT staff." Goodwin has heard that one before. "Why? You'll be the one using this stuff," she says in a matter-of-fact tone.

He pauses, then gives in. He agrees to a follow-up call the next week. Goodwin beams, knowing she converted a cold call into a solid lead. "If you follow a script, you'll fail every time," she says.

At the end of her shift Goodwin, 38, will head back to her cell block at the Arizona State Prison Complex in Perryville, 25 miles west of Phoenix. She's almost done serving her five-year sentence for fraud.

But Goodwin clawed her way back toward a semblance of a respectable life and had a job waiting for her upon her release in April, thanks to a company called Televerde, which operates four call centers at Perryville. Televerde is staffed by 250 "ladies," as they proudly prefer to be called, who show up for their shifts in bright orange jumpsuits. They submit to strip searches and are sometimes heckled by the guards, but once they've put on that headset, these women are in another world. "You get your dignity back," says Goodwin, who also had $8,000 in savings waiting for her on the other side.

Televerde generated $12.1 million in revenue last year and is growing profitably. Hooker's customers are some of the biggest names in tech: Cisco , NetApp , Hitachi , SAP . A signed poster from Bill Gates hangs on several walls in Perryville: "To Televerde, Keep up the great work." These firms discreetly rely on Televerde's women to sell complex, multimillion-dollar software and hardware systems. Says Cisco sales manager Christina Foley: "Their technical aptitude is off the charts."

A dozen former inmates who now work for Televerde are gathered around a boardroom table. They're joking about who will eat the first cookie and swapping turnaround stories. Amy Heiser, a woman who entered Perryville at 19 and pregnant, has tears in her eyes. "Prison was the best thing that ever happened to me," she says. The room is silent for a second, and then everyone roars. "Me, too," one gal chimes. "Absolutely," says another. "No doubt."

Employing people who are already in prison for fraud as salespeople is an incredibly galaxy brained move

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Employing people who are already in prison for fraud as salespeople is an incredibly galaxy brained move

Going to prison for some low-grade check fraud and getting trained up in eight figure white collar accounting scams by the hardcore corporate thieves in the joint with you

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Call centers have extreme churn and burn out. If you last two years in any kind of call center you are a hardened veteran. If the employees are literal prisoners then you don't have to worry about them running off to a less lovely job, I suppose.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I worked call centers in the early 2000s. I tried it again in 2015 when I needed a job but found out I couldn't drink enough to tolerate doing that day after day anymore.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Call centers have extreme churn and burn out. If you last two years in any kind of call center you are a hardened veteran. If the employees are literal prisoners then you don't have to worry about them running off to a less lovely job, I suppose.

yeah, they're apparently paying federal minimum wage which for someone in prison is unheard of. it's like an entirely separate, untapped pool of labor for the most despicable capitalists; their alternatives as prisoners include getting out totally broke, shoving stuff into their bodily cavities for commissary dollars, or other ripoff prison "employment" options that pay $0.50 an hour or thereabouts

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

One of Televerde's nonprison rivals, an Austin, Tex. firm called the Lead Dogs, complains that Hooker can throw more callers on an account because he pays them less than the Lead Dogs' $15 to $25 an hour. Hooker says he doesn't overstaff projects but benefits from lower turnover. The Lead Dogs hires recent college graduates, who often move on after two years. At Televerde the callers' average tenure is four years.

"We spend at least 30% less on turnover-related training with Televerde employees compared to other call centers," says Nina Simosko, a senior vice president at SAP. For the past three years the German software giant has had Televerde pitching business software to chief information officers at midsize businesses.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Venomous posted:

what about 30? It's higher than 24 by like 5 or 6

woah, let’s not get hasty here. * backs away slowly *

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Waiting for the sanctions against the US for using forced labor like the ones about Xinjiang.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

did we all forget eggs ??? that was supposed to be the environment but it was just simple gouging

I only remember sailor

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
TelAmeriCorp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

that call center thing is somehow worse than I thought. It's one thing to do lovely tech support or sign people up for credit cards or argue cell phone payments, but that sounds very close to doing sales. I guess maybe they're just lining up leads for the real sales engineer/sales guy duo but I would have expected these women to get some percentage cut as commission if the sale goes through. but in retrospect that seems pretty naive! people making sales calls for flat minimum wage, incarcerated or not seems like a remarkably lovely deal. probably 6+ figure cisco and netapp deals and you get nothin, boo