Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Xaris posted:

anyways the media has a new term now, doomspending. lets just keep making inane stupid poo poo up. doomtweeting, doomeating, doomwalking, doomsleeping

The media is doomwriting. Here’s why that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

this is the current condition of the fancy reclining seats at the nicer imax near me which is also decorated to look like an Egyptian tomb including like a 15ft statue of Anubis. $15 a ticket and you can take the flaking polyurethane home with you on your clothes for free!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Xaris posted:

buybacks

can someone explain this phenomenon to me. I’ve tried to google it before but that didn’t totally explain things. I’m not good with number

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

lol that fuckin sucks. when OkCupid first got popular I was using it to go on at least one new date a week. i probably met between one and two hundred people. it was fun and incredibly easy

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

lmao I had a cereal craving a few weeks ago and the tiny grocery store where I live only had $6 boxes. Love the economy of things

local granola brand here blew past the $7 a bag barrier not too long ago. and that’s at the cheap grocery store. so that’s another thing taxing my free time now, baking my own granola

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

err posted:

You're telling me that having Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Disney+, Apple TV+, HBO Max, Peacock, Paramount+, YouTube Premium, ESPN+, Crunchyroll, Twitch, FuboTV, Sling TV, Philo, Vudu, Tubi, Crave, BritBox, Acorn TV, Kanopy, Discovery+, Shudder, DC Universe Infinite, Funimation, VRV, STARZ, Showtime, Epix Now, AMC+, CBS All Access (now Paramount+), BET+, Redbox, Plex, Quibi, Hoopla, The Roku Channel, Xumo, Hayu, Hallmark Movies Now, Mubi, Sundance Now, Criterion Channel, NBC Sports Gold, Discovery+ (formerly Dplay), Viaplay, Slingbox, Freeform, Pluto TV, Peacock Premium, Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music Unlimited, YouTube Music, Deezer, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, iHeartRadio, Napster, Qobuz, SiriusXM, Audible, Scribd, ComiXology Unlimited, MagellanTV, Tubi Kids, PureFlix, Cinemax, ESPN3, CBS Sports HQ, Stadium, CuriosityStream, Peacock Premium Plus, DC Universe, WWE Network, DAZN, ESPN Player, Crunchyroll Premium, Viki, Funimation Now, Crunchyroll VRV, VRV Premium, VRV Select, YouTube TV, AT&T TV Now, Philo Edu, ESPN College Extra, NFL Game Pass, NHL.tv, NBA League Pass, MLB.TV, Peacock Premium Plus, Red Bull TV, Tastemade, TBN, Alamo On Demand, BFI Player, BritBox UK, Cinémoi, ESPN Play, ESPN Player, ESPN Play, Fox Nation, Hayu Canada, Joyn, Kocowa, Motortrend On Demand, Pantaya, PBS Masterpiece, Peacock TV, Rakuten Viki, Shout! Factory TV, Screambox, Smithsonian Channel Plus, Starzplay Arabia, Stingray Qello, Sundance Now, Tubi Kids, and YuppTV is unsustainable for consumers?

don’t forget Endorphin Port

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

walmart grade rear end house

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

the pro move it to ask the cashier if you can bag for them, then you get to work together with the shared goal of getting you out the door efficiently and without damaged produce, and helping the cashier get a higher IPM (store I used to work for ranked all the cashiers on items per minute and posted weekly standings in public view). sometimes it throws off their rhythm and they even steal an item or two for you!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are there really no regulations on headlights in the US?

the subreddit r/fuckyourheadlights has a sticky post summarizing the independent research into blinding headlights to date. if I remember correctly, there are current regulations but they are inadequate and easily gamed by the manufacturers.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

PoundSand posted:

driving hundreds of miles for an hour or so of onsite work in some small podunk town on like a random bridge over a creak or ADA ramp sidewalks and then driving hundreds of miles back and naturally my ability to eat weekend soup on the road was limited

solved problem https://www.amazon.com/Forabest-Portable-Microwave-Food-Warmer/dp/B0BXLB2BZJ/ref=asc_df_B0BXLB2BZJ/

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

2500/65 = 38

Are these things $40??

i dont know how much those stupid things cost but they probably got that by doing some cop math to calculate the "street value"

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

love my ridiculously overengineered Japanese thermos

i had one of these for a while and it was really slick but the sip top closure mechanism was too complicated to be 100% watertight so it still leaked a little if it got tipped over, had all these tiny springs and injection molded parts that snapped off, and it also had internal crevices that trapped dirty dishwater and couldn’t be cleaned. the ones with the simple screw top are boss tho

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

quote:

”Our engineering and supply chain teams are making progress on innovative, alternative materials for use in the sealing process,”

lol gently caress stanley so much. the materials and process already exist for using lead free solder in double walled vacuum insulated drink containers. they are currently being sold by at least one company. the reason stanley isn’t doing this is not because of the slow pace of innovation, it’s because they need to keep their prices low enough to hit the sweet spot of faux luxury middle class status symbol.

i used to thrift these bottles for a couple bucks but I threw them all away when I found out they had lead in them. i don’t give a poo poo if it’s “protected” by paint or a false bottom — I don’t want that poo poo any closer to my drinkware than it needs to be.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

This has already been covered. They do not need to be tested for unsafe lead contamination, nor has there been any evidence of the cups causing any health issues for consumers.

i missed a lot of the cup chat but there was this lead poisoning case. i know this was just one cup out of the millions and millions sold. but it does highlight that consumers expect their cups to be 100% food safe, even if damaged.

https://www.today.com/health/news/stanley-cups-lead-rcna135513 posted:

“One family I worked with had a young child who got lead poisoning from ingesting oatmeal that he had playfully smashed with the bottom of a water bottle where lead was exposed,” says Rubin. (This bottle was not made by Stanley.)

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

one time I showed up to an interview and the guy didn’t even ask any questions and said i was the only one to ever follow through and show up and just immediately offered me the job based on that

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

usually my vday strategy is to just buy plain peonies instead of an arrangement because they’re the best flower and not subject to the holiday surge pricing at my particular source

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

jokes on me I guess, the available flowers locally sucked big time this year. no peonies. they used to have a bunch of weird poo poo. one time they had loving proteas. not anymore. welcome to the new normal bich. mostly just corny rear end dyed flowers, outdated arrangements, and ludicrously priced red roses. I’ll just take a grip of tulips I guess.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Schmeichy posted:

It's February, in the northern hemisphere it's a perversion that flowers are even available

yeah

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.post-gazette.com/busine...es/202402150094

Cleveland-Cliffs is closing their WV tin plate mill due to "price-dumping from Canada, China, Germany and South Korea". US Steel is idling their tin plate mill in East Chicago and may end up closing it. lmao if we end up incapable of something as simple as canning food with a domestic supply chain.

lmao that this stuff still contains lead too

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

i just use these on any device that has a front facing camera https://www.amazon.com/Original-Spyslide-Smartphones-Resistant-Stainless/dp/B076M6P36X

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

It's amazing how if you say "I'm not going to eat over processed bullshit and make a calorie budget for myself", 90% of the supermarket disappears. The only thing worth your time in the cereal aisle for regular consumption is hot cereals

Even then 90% of that is full of poison

it also makes costco not really worth the membership because a lot of their potential savings are on processed junk food

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

edit: oh nevermind

kreeningsons has issued a correction as of 14:47 on Mar 2, 2024

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

They're so loving mad that the peasants aren't jumping for joy

https://twitter.com/JohnArnoldFndtn/status/1764309593063109090

whenever this guy comes up I have to remind everyone that he privately funded a surveillance plane that flew in a constant circular path over Baltimore and that you could hear the engine whining at all hours of the day

edit: getting my billionaires mixed up

kreeningsons has issued a correction as of 05:09 on Mar 4, 2024

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

boomer is not an age. it’s a mindset

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

That's true; I'm just an out-of-touch old man now. I can see that Miley Cryus and Taylor Swift and the Ed Sheeren songs that aren't boring bummers are all well-constructed pop songs, but they just don't speak to me enough to want to relisten to them because they're for 20-somethings.

there are plenty of aging gen x bands that have released great contemporary and vaguely mournful albums tho. like low (rip) and slowdive for starters.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

my IT guy never messed with my computer but he did steal all the spare change in my drawer except for pennies and a 30lb stainless steel gauge (I’m assuming he scrapped it). i never told anyone but i’m positive it was him because he was always rooting around in peoples spaces under the pretense of servicing workstations. when the office was shut down in 2020 he came back for the rest of my spare change and my shure headphones. glad he got canned last month so I no longer have to walk by his office while he’s watching soft core bikini babe Instagram reels on his phone.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

the greatest city in America baby

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

he was pretty honest and basically said everyone and their mother has home improvements projects now and the only way he can keep up is by jacking up his rates.

i don’t blame him and I’ve never owned a construction business but i still fail to see why he couldn’t charge the same amount he was prepandemic. the difference would be having cheaper prices and losing some customers due to a long waitlist, versus having “market” prices and losing some customers due to said prices?

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

donoteat/wtyp has good podcast episode on the sunshine skyway bridge and the infrastructure built that successfully protected the rebuilt bridge from a subsequent collision. given the ship that initially collapsed the sunshine skyway bridge was about one tenth the tonnage of the one that hit the Francis Scott key bridge. and the boat that hit the rebuilt sunshine skyway bridge dolphins/pilings was only 75ft. I’m not sure how large of a collision the sunshine skyway dolphins were rated for but I’m sure it’s not impossible to build a set that would protect against the size ship that hit the Francis scott key bridge.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Second wave. You were warned here

genericnick posted:

CEOishly: Inflation is coming? Seems like we have to raise prizes!

stocks soar on news of bridge disaster

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

lol at buying a watch from a goon

the one thread in YLLS that didn’t miss a beat after Covid hit was the watch thread. the fashion threads are still pretty much dead compared to what they used to be. but the watch thread is still teeming with people that post about buying multiple watches costing multiple thousands of dollars each per year.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/community/transportation/baltimore-bridge-collapse-bodies-found-EI2DYQFAFVEZ5GUCEJHT5GUZBA/

quote:

The National Transportation Safety Board provided new insight Wednesday night into why the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed so suddenly after being struck by a cargo ship that had lost power.

It was a “fracture critical bridge,” meaning if one portion sustained enough damage, the entire structure would collapse, said Jennifer Homendy, chair of the NTSB. Of the roughly 615,000 bridges in the country, about 17,000, or less than 3%, are fracture critical, Homendy said.

”The preferred method for building bridges today is that there is redundancy built in,” she said. “This bridge did not have redundancy.”

This statement seems like it has the potential to mislead people into thinking the key bridge was an outlier. The vast majority of bridges are probably just several feet long or some concrete structure going over farmer jim bob’s creek or whatever, not spanning a long enough distance to require a complex fracture critical truss system. I’d like to know the proportion of bridges spanning an equivalent distance as the key bridge that are fracture critical, because it’s probably more than 3%.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

thrifting is the best hobby and it dovetails nicely with the great American pastime of complaining, as most vendors at antiques malls basically complain nonstop about the prices that the other vendors are charging for the same things that they sell

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Xaris posted:

crapflation ftw

i always thought jarred pizza and marinara sauce was disgusting but lol that they are actually watering that vile poo poo down

i know everyone is time poor but it’s another thing that can be made at home for a fraction of the price and a small time investment

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

they do it because the payment plans enable them to get a brand new phone before any of their old ones are paid off. it’s like trading in a 2 year old car for the newest shiny model

personally I just get a refurbished one off eBay for a few hundred bucks

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

Been getting this guy on TikTok recently and he's right that Goodwill and most other secondhand shops have gone bananas with their pricing on things most people wouldn't even take for free. I used to do a lot of shopping at stores like this but ever since people have discovered the game of flipping "vintage" poo poo on Etsy for huge markups pretty much all of these shops have gotten wise and adjusted their prices accordingly.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7345630381833522475

Here’s my short history of thrifting from the 2000s to today if anyone cares. ask me about the time goodwill was tying to sell a used needle collection bin.

- eBay and Etsy first started becoming popular (around like, the 2000s I guess?). esoteric knowledge about vintage, collectibles, used tools, whatever, that you previously had to talk to some antisocial nerd in person to learn about, becomes more accessible online

- Macklemore comes out with the thrift store song in 2012. thrifting was steadily becoming more popular with the younger generations (my theory is this is because of declining economic conditions and the death of mid level consumer goods) but there was a massive jump after this song. thrift store prices begin to accelerate much faster than previous years.

- second wave of e-commerce apps like depop, poshmark, Facebook marketplace,
to a smaller extent Instagram marketplace become popular in the 2010s. it becomes much easier and more popular for anyone to open an online shop and promote/integrate it into the rest of their social media. at this point, thrift stores take note and prices accelerate even more.

- pandemic happens. people lose their jobs and turn their eBay side business into full time jobs. people are inundated with social media and start to seek out one of a kind vintage pieces online. people who would normally not buy anything used start having to because of the supply chain. basically all the previous trends in the past decade start to accelerate.

The state of thrifting today is that with ever increasing demand and a perpetually constrained supply, prices are just going up for any used merchandise, including thrift store prices. if you watch people shop, it’s more likely than not that they are looking poo poo up on their phone to flip on eBay and buying accordingly. in major metro areas, there are usually multiple flippers who will camp out at a single thrift store from open to close and sift through literally everything that hits the floor. it’s become more common at estate sales that you will catch elbows from other buyers if you are trying to go for something particularly valuable. some online resellers will hang onto merchandise for YEARS trying to flip it online for some ridiculous sum.

thrift store prices are through the roof and, for cheaper items, can be more expensive than paying full retail. thrift stores also also loving overrun with cheapest possible used aliexpress/temu/Amazon poo poo and target/Zara overstock lots that are priced at 50% of retail.

these days, even sifting through all the cheap crap isn’t enough, all the really good stuff gets bought minutes after it hits the floor. you basically have to be in the right place at the right time or you’re getting nothing but junk.

kreeningsons has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Apr 15, 2024

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

My wife is a big fan of casually scrolling through our local facebook yard sale groups and it's an endless sea of giant hutches and poo poo from clearly dead people's estates that are asking for like $500 and you have to haul'em yourself

a fact we found out when her mother passed last year is that nobody, absolutely nobody, wants old giant furniture at any price
apartments have nowhere to put giant hutches or ornately carved dressers or whatever, and even if they did nobody is paying $200 for what you'll be leaving on the roadside next week

Scandinavian/mid century modern furniture started becoming more popular throughout the 2000s and 2010s in part because it lends itself to efficient and space conscious living.

there are still victorian furniture Facebook groups with tons of boomers who insist they are holding onto massive hutches, hall tables and poo poo because “they’ll come back into style” and “trends are cyclical”. which honestly I find sort of sweet, but that poo poo is not coming back into style lol.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I knew a guy who was doing this poo poo on eBay in volume large enough that he had to rent warehouse space back in the early 2000s. It's incredibly stupid, but I don't fully blame places like Goodwill when you've got dudes rolling up in cargo vans with full crews like they're about to rob the place.

the only silver lining to higher thrift store prices is if they are high enough that an eBay flipper doesn’t have enough margin, then it has some chance of being bought by someone who will actually use whatever it is. usually that’s 50-75% of whatever you can get for it on eBay. no one wins except the thrift store.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

yea there is at least one guy that always shows up to the monthly library sales here with buckets and just loads them up with whatever reference/textbooks are for sale without even looking at them because all the books are less than a dollar

in college i used to work for an Amazon used book seller organizing his inventory. one day I noticed that he had been tearing out the first page in every book which had been stamped with “[FREE BOOK CHARITY]. NOT FOR RESALE” because that’s where he got hundreds of books a week for free to sell. he said he made more on the $4 shipping charge than the price of the book and that if I told the charity they would ban him and his entire network of resellers. he was nice but he was also a disgusting human being living in near squalor.

kreeningsons has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

this is basically what it’s like now going anywhere they’re selling used stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUmmxW7Ksc8

kreeningsons has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Apr 15, 2024