Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

my former boss is a high-up at FRC. Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

glad i stopped working here a couple months ago

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm about to buy a house, but I am buying down interest points so I get lower rates, and having the seller pay for it up front as a seller's concession since the market sucks. I'll pay 2% less for the first year, 1% less for the second. Hopefully by then, we can refinance to a lower rate permanently

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Court today in 2.5 hours!

yessss

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

skooma512 posted:

They're right.

Which is why I donate to the regional food bank and to the Goon Fund. Not National President Radio lol

I donated to my local food bank two years ago and I am pretty sure every dollar I donated has gone to postage and printing costs of sending me letters 2-3 a week asking for more donations

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

Ironically I think the "how to do xxxx home/car thing" video is better suited for the choppy short form editing style where the video is like 40 seconds to a minute long, 10 minute videos on how to change a headlight are loving annoying because most of the video is the person flapping their gums about unhelpful bullshit or fumbling around with tools

Short 5-10 seconds lines of instruction with quick cuts showing where and what to do makes it so you don't even need to search the video, it's short enough to just watch through (or at least searching becomes trivial). The issue is idk how easy it is to search for specific videos on apps like Tiktok or if videos even have titles TO search.

also those short videos make no ad money. Unless you are on TikTok but nobody on that is doing auto how-to videos

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Coffee is extremely enjoyable but I quit caffeine and that's even better

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I got married in Olympic National Park and it was free except for the photographer we brought along

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

I'm pretty sure her Dad bought a stake in the record label that signed her as well lmao

unlike many nepotism babies, Taylor Swift is massively talented

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

actionjackson posted:

only one week left of current job

new remote job is based in CA, gonna have to get used to the two hour time difference, but i'm glad it's two hours earlier instead of later

had to watch a safety training video about earthquakes lol

why are you already working for free at your new job? training is part of the work, don’t do it for free

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

if commuting is work I'm going to move 4 hours away

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

put all the pumps and poo poo in an empty part of the floor, make the rest apartments

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also needed would be significant hvac upsizing and additional fire mitigation to meet code now that you've got a ton of kitchens on each floor

finally there's almost certainly insulation issues and noise issues that would need to be addressed as well with this complete renovation

commercial structures are basically a completely different design and use case from residential

fine. we tried. kill the commercial landlords. can’t be saved

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

how has it been a year since the landlord trial. what?????

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

removing my earlier post but can’t delete so:

number

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

due to my job I would know if phones were listening, and they aren’t

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

my job is kinda weird, I transcribe consumer provided conversations for science purposes to save the world. they sound weirdly muffed which is annoying. you’d think for such a well funded science project they would give the voluntary consumers better recording equipment

still no secret recordings though

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

saving anything for retirement is too much because the world is ending

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

flying on a max doesn’t scare me tbh. they fly thousands of flights a day. it’s still far far safer than driving anywhere

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

lol

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

isn’t this one of those 100% preventable scare tactics like the budget or the post office where republicans prevent it from being funded to make it look like there was excessive spending when in reality it can be trivially changed to be problem-free by just allowing it to be funded

it’s impossible to pass new laws that are good, though

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Google's solution is to have AI be the librarian. This is the "generative search" experiment they're running right now:

You wait like 5 seconds after searching and it ChatGPTs you up an answer basically.

this took 0.46 seconds and is more informative

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Scarabrae posted:

gotten like 8 spam/scam calls to my cell in 24 hours, love that a service I have to pay for to participate in society is unuseable

Same. I keep getting voicemails that say "......sorry for calling. Goodbye."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

what the hell, I actually owe taxes for the first time in my life instead of get money back. I even bought a drat house, I thought that was supposed to help

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

y’all care way too much about mr beast

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

is it a conspiracy theory to think that the US doesn't actually want to do much about ansarallah because the suez shut down makes egypt desperate and more willing to take gaza refugees

the US government would rather every Gaza refugee die than have trade disrupted

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

genericnick posted:

They made the trade disruption much worse though.

that’s because the US government is run by idiots who can’t do anything right even if they tried

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I wonder if this airplane fault poo poo has been going on for a long time and was just never covered until after the door blew out and everyone started caring

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

just be a public defender and deliver passionate closing arguments for your wrongfully accused clients until a bigwig at a firm takes notice of you and bring you on board

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mandel Brotset posted:

generations aren’t real gently caress head you need a class analysis

lol yes they are they own all the houses in Pittsburgh

gently caress you willa is right

jfc thread needs an ik

etc etc

"wrong"

-Donald J Trump

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

right before the Great Depression the stock market was at all time highs with technology stocks leading the way

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

The common sentiment for the bridge I'm seeing is people are getting "angry" that Biden is saying the government will pay to fix it but that is MY tax dollars and I think the insurance should pay for it.

That is right, but also the bridge needs to be rebuilt immediately and not tied up in court battles over insurance money.

What I am seeing is people getting really angry about it because it could somehow make Biden look bad that a bridge fell down, so they are furiously telling people that NO BRIDGE could EVER survive the collision, lest anyone think that the bridge collapsing (or not being protected by the use of barriers) reflects badly upon Biden

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

bij posted:

All the 60+ people in my family spend their copious amounts of free time complaining about anything and everything. They get together to complain about stuff and take long road trips to facilitate getting together to complain about stuff.

meanwhile, people on C-SPAM have never been more upbeat about the world!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Retromancer posted:

I think a factor in hobbytalk no one has mentioned yet is that a lot of hobbies require other people to enjoy and lol at trying to get even 3-4 adults in a room someplace consistently if they're not getting paid.

is there a good theory as to why people these days (in their 30s) are so drat flaky and hate making plans? were people always like this?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Schmeichy posted:

Everyone is too drat tired from working too hard to do things. Also many of the third spaces that were convenient are gone.

Third spaces — I see this term on TikTok all the time and I understand the definition, but I am confused by what exactly they are saying used to exist and no longer does. what is an example of a third space that is gone now?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm so glad you are back.

?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

hmm ok

blue squares has issued a correction as of 01:27 on Mar 29, 2024

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

just buy a can of tomato sauce and add oregano, thyme, basil, crushed pepper, whatever and cook it a little

better pasta sauce than anything you'll buy in a jar

if you're gonna do that just buy cherry tomatoes and squish them in the skillet with oil

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah, never contradicting the stupid poo poo people in charge say is half the battle for promotions. Placate their big dumb ego and you can suck at your job

this is what I do. My boss sucks at his job. Its the same as my job but he is in overall charge. I could argue with him and point out better ways to do things and make our end product better, but that would have a negative impact on myself, so I just say "great idea, boss"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

i generally prefer alcohol to weed because wine tastes nice and its very easy to slowly sip and manage my level of intoxication. Every time I smoke/eat pot it tastes bad, smells bad, and I either feel nothing or get stoned as gently caress and can't really function, though it does feel nice and makes me giggle