Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thank God, I was having trouble sleeping worrying about working moms in Ohio meeting their startup's payroll next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

3% MBS, is that like a minor baron cutting off the tip of a journalist's finger?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

VideoKid posted:

I’m trying to explain to my mom what’s happening and she was under the impression that all your money that you deposit in the bank is in a pile in a bank vault somewhere. Like in Harry Potter.

Your mom is dead wrong, it's in a giant vault in a volcano and a centuries-old dragon is sleeping on it and if you wake the dragon by taking even one coin it will lay waste to the entire countryside in revenge.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Horseshoe theory posted:

I'm rooting for the dragon!

There are several dragons and one of them is named Mr Wonderful. He's bald and killed someone with his boat once.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sounds like they have some... gaps in their reporting. Holes, even.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol just do what Nixon did and threaten the full force of the federal government against anyone who raises prices

The full force, eh? *farts moistly*

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good news, wage inflation is slowing down! Thank u Krugman

I notice he didn't comment on rents going up despite his blathering about some lagging indicator showing them going down a couple of months ago.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

how do i get some of this money

Just lol if you haven't registered yourself as an independent credit union/regional bank.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

FlapYoJacks posted:

We will pull a Turkey and just lob off a few zeros to our currency. $100 is now $1 again! EZPZ

MAKE 👏 CANDY 👏 COST 👏 A 👏 PENNY 👏 AGAIN

(also one weird trick to raise minimum wages without raising them)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Just do a Venezuela and have government mandated price caps for everything.

Lining up for price caps at Starbucks this summer.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thank god wage inflation is finally under control.

FistEnergy posted:

food inflation of 18.2% :psyduck:

That just means bigger fish and chips, innit?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Disneyworld has a bunch of themed resorts based on real world attractions and every time I've checked the prices they are more expensive than going to the real things they're based on. It costs more to go to the Disneyworld Venetian Resort than it costs to actually go to Venice.

Yeah well Venice is going to be underwater in 20 years whereas I'm not going to check exactly where Disneyworld is.

lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kesper North posted:

What utter Chads

The chad Chad vs the virgin... oh gently caress me.

coelomate posted:

Why lmao? that’s actually kinda low.

Dunno about the lmao but 4% is pretty much the highest non-promo rate available right now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hm, having a tough time choosing between Redneck Bank and All American Bank.

(but seriously, CFG seems ok for nearly 5% MM?)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

:mad:

Meanwhile efb :mad: again

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The337th posted:

put it in a festive envelope, include a lovely $10 gift card to Subway as a consolation prize, be patronizing instead of bitter for the cheaply bought off slumlord

This is a good idea but don't waste $10 on a gift card, just stuff it with coupons from local flyers.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

The problem here is not that our economic models don’t work at all. The models seem serviceable when things are simple and stable, when we are in a steady state with tons of past data to draw on. The problem is that the models don’t work when our economy is weird. And that’s precisely when we most need them to work.

(astro)physics dumped the steady-state model 50+ years ago despite the protests of Nobel prize winners, what is economics waiting for?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Crippling inflation: one weird trick to reduce debt that lenders HATE

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

i am harry posted:

I think we can safely say binance hid extensive links with literally everything you could link with.

Sounds like they... blocked the chain!! Hahahaha

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah no problem just let me draft 5 versions of the lesson plan to fully accommodate every student

ChatGPT: I'm so tired

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Benagain posted:

I like how this thread seesaws between "everything is just utterly hosed with no hope" "lol doing anything other than revolution is worthless" and "god why aren't people revolting in the objectively correct way"

Yeah why aren't more people revolting in the correct way, by wearing Axe Body Spray.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fill them with brine shrimp. Pay $2 and get a refreshing snack for yourself or the new population of feral flamingos.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

euphronius posted:

why do these people think it’s actually AI

Click and learn:

https://twitter.com/SebastienBubeck/status/1638704164770332674

also please don't mis-name, it's called AGI now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

is this guns or fentanyl or what

- rock and roll/rap music
- blue jeans (too baggy)
- violent video games

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I got married in a modest municipal office, with my wife.

e: to answer the question of who's buying them, boomer's kids are going to inherit them (fighting over them if necessary) and immigrants will buy the rest.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There's a housing development here that's quite literally built on a toxic slagheap that's shifting. Houses were built there 2010-2012, started at $350K or $395K or something around there.

There's been over a decade of litigation and bad news about the place, reports about peoples' houses sliding down the hillside, people getting sick, etc.

Anyway there are two houses in this slag development for sale right now and they're both over a million bucks.

Why do you think they're called Superfun sites? Imagine your whole house being one giant slide for your kids.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

"The calf I helped raise as a child was raped to death by steers as I gaped aghast and now I watch movies while driving on the highway to soothe my PTSD" is the most American thing I've read in recent memory.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Combined with this:

It's clear Americans still think the US budget is 20% NASA, 30% foreign aid, 60% aid to NYC and LA (but I repeat myself), and 10% military.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Griz posted:

something is fucky with supply chain, walmart had packs of hash brown patties just like the mcdonalds ones for like $3.29 for 10 but now those have been out of stock for months. before that they were out of tater tots for months but now those are back and the patties are gone. there's always shitloads of frozen fries though.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Wow, drat. The potato is the cornerstone of the American treat regime. If we somehow botch our supply of corn syrup, all bets are off in this country.

Sounds like this meme is safe then (for now):

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Egg Moron posted:

Thanks for saving America grant

It's a Canadian store, get your own hero Grant. And your own potatoes and non-maple syrup.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Please change the thread title, I keep reading it as "Pro-Kpop" and finding nothing of the sort inside.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You know who climbs trees and catches fish? That's right. Bears. Golden cartoon ones. And birds I guess.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Horse people are the biggest freaks in America and no one else comes close

This is some hosed up anti-centaur racism right here.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Really big swap stations are a good idea, EVs don't even have to be involved.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zodium posted:

what are the odds we hit page 420 on 4/20

69% :elon:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I'm crossposting this thread because it's pretty doomsday. One song under several different titles, artists, writing credits, album art, etc. was posted on Spotify a bajillion times. People suspect Spotify is trying to flood their radio stations with bullshit muzak to avoid paying real artists lol

As someone pointed out, this has been known for years now:

https://twitter.com/freemariahcarey/status/1648654252653559811

It seems to pre-date AI bullshit but you can bet that ChansonGPT/ChantGPT are going to make things much, much worse.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Supercore life expectancy (ex. deaths of despair, misfortune, unwillingness to survive) has ticked down in the last three years but I think part of it is just consumers matching pessimistic market expectations. Hope is contagious :)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

If Apple just let you pop the back panel off and stick a new battery in like every other phone

Have you been in a coma for the last 7-8 years?

skaboomizzy posted:

$500 annual registration fee for EVsbicycles

ftfy

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

oh yeah so simple, anyone can do it! (yes it's possible, but it's not trivial or necessarily cheap, is my point)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdEc3HwfMMo

I can go get a Samsung battery for like $15 dollars and pop the back off with my fingernail

e: apparently I have been in a coma because wtf flagship Galaxy phones require tools now too. I just buy whatever ~$200 budget model the store has whenever my current phone dies, and those always have removable back panels/batteries as does my current phone.

The Galaxy S5 (released April 2014) was the last mainline S-series phone with a user-removeable battery. Every major manufacturer followed along with Apple in making batteries and screens increasingly difficult to replace (partly to make phones thinner but also just because gently caress you). Apparently the S23 Ultra is easier to tear down I guess in anticipation of right to repair laws but that's a very recent development.

Also there are apparently 3-4 phones right now with removable batteries - a Galaxy XCover variant I'd never heard of, the Fairphone, and a bunch of cheap Nokia garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

now that smartphones are a mature technology and there's no real reason for anyone to upgrade every year they should probably make them last a bit longer. oh well!

Google and Samsung provide 3-4 years of software updates now so it's mostly just Motorola dragging their feet. Otherwise you can get by just fine going 4-5 years between upgrades as long as you don't drop your poo poo constantly.

Relatedly, smartphone sales have been falling as there's no real compelling new gimmick unless you want to spend $1000+ on a folding phone I guess.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 17:17 on Apr 25, 2023