Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

shareholders =! depositors

shareholders were nuked.

I still fondly remember when Maurice 'Hank' Greenberg sued the Fed for breaching fiduciary duty towards AIG shareholders, with the trial court saying they exceeded authority but the value of AIG at takeover was $0 so he was entitled to no damages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

This was such a monumental mistake that will have unforeseen consequences.

*Homer Simpsonishly* No it isn't!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Impose a 100% wealth tax on any assets over $250,000 - bing bong, so simple!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

I guess 6% inflation is the new floor

NUMBER. GO. UP!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

:qq: Mah clean coal company! :qq:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Ryan Maue is a rightoid who worked for Cato. He's mocking the climate companies.

CATO wife man is right that most of them are grifts themselves (i.e, The Worst Person You Know).

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

did rich people fail a bank on purpose to slow down Jerome ?

If I was Jerome Powell, I'd double the rate increase for this month just to show them who's boss. :colbert:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

No worries since someone bought those bonds! Bing bong!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

clipping unsecured deposits for any amount would trigger a bankrun, defeating the claimed anti-bankrun premise so you might as well not have done it in the first place

Can't have a bank run if you block withdrawals like it's 1940s Germany with their stock market! *taps head*

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

eXXon posted:

Your mom is dead wrong, it's in a giant vault in a volcano and a centuries-old dragon is sleeping on it and if you wake the dragon by taking even one coin it will lay waste to the entire countryside in revenge.

I'm rooting for the dragon!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Bitchcoin is up 11.3%. All is well. Infinite bull market

They're money laundering is being fully backstopped by the FDIC - why wouldn't they be happy? :thunk:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

anime was right posted:

good thing the government has infinite money to prevent any and all failures

:agreed: They just need to keep minting Trillion dollar coins!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I don’t expect tomorrow to be Black Monday but this does feel like beginning of a major reckoning

There will never be a reckoning, OP - they'll simply do more-and-more elaborate cover-ups ad infinitum. Embrace it!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Full blown, full automated *gay* luxury space communism. I stand ready to gently caress and suck whomever Chairman Xi decrees.

*Chairman Xi points to Henry Kissinger*

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

BoE is, like, a government bank right?

Yes, and George Soros slapped them around during Black Wednesday.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Who has supreme jurisdiction to seize a multnational bank like Credit Suisse, anyway? :thunk:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

It's just such a good summary of the braindead neoliberalism, it's the logical extension of "too big to fail". Now it's too big to fail so we have to guarantee their dumb & dumber risks.

The way to deal with too big to fail is to just prove them wrong & let them fail. We're hosed either way, might as well get the pain over now

Counterpoint: Herbert Hoover didn't get re-elected after he let Andrew Mellon do that. :v:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

First Republic Bank is down 1/3 premarket... :eyepop:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

CS and UBS are kind of rotating villains. in 2008, UBS got the biggest bailout in Swiss history with an emergency 9.3% stake at 6 Billion CHF, plus a 62 billion franc guarantee for for bad securities. now the shoe's on the other foot. if Credit Suisse actually somehow survives and completes restructuring, they may win back some reputation as having "reformed" just in time for tons of UBS crimes to come to light

Just shotgun marry Credit Suisse and UBS - bing bong, so simple!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's called 'dreaming'

Weird way to spell 'delusion', OP.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok so when we force everyone back to work make sure they no longer have benefits. That will show them

Simply imprison everyone and use the 13th Amendment carveout for imprisoned slave labor. Bing bong, so simple!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

95 million Americans are on a medical assistance program meant for the destitute.

"Bootstraps yourselves, bitches." :amerikkka:.txt

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ETA until she and Macron are hauled via cart to Lady Guillotine? :thunk:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

Banking Secrecy is Swiss Culture cmon

Not since they threw in the towel and agreed to FATCA/FBAR/etc. disclosures to FinCEN/etc. after the UBS leak scandal about a decade ago, OP.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/daviddancer/status/1636134437514784768?s=20

Ticketmaster is a defacto monopoly and democrats do nothing and should be ejected from power and never allowed back also imprisoned.

Ticketmaster's existence retroactively justify Bill Graham's death. :blessed:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Wow, only $30,000/year to be on a literal plague ship!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

First Republic Bank down 1/4 today despite the 'backing' - looking pretty good! :thumbsup:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The LME is the same one that voided the nickel exchanges and then got sued by Elliott Management, Jane Street, etc. for breaching their contracts, right? Maybe they took that nickel to sell in order to pay them off... :thunk:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So First Republic Bank cratered 40% today? Sounds good. :hmmyes: :getin:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol warren buffet with a steel chair to the local banks

Buffet is J.P. Morgan as today is to the Panic of 1907! *taps head*

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lol they waited until the weekend kicked off to post the downgrade. Monday is gonna be grim.

https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1636886636398100482

Didn't other credit agencies alright poo poo all over FRB? :thunk:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Linear transformations god I am in love with the mystic bull poo poo of finance

It's called reading entrails, buddy! :colbert:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I guess I could try and save it but all of the crew quit because I refused to pay anything other than minimum wage

Could have told them that they'd get on TV via "Below Deck" and so they should be happy! *taps head*

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Why are Americans like this?

Because it was spawned as a demon cracker nation called :amerikkka: , OP. :d2a:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

We need little flags next to each of our usernames that is the country the poster lives in so I can tell Canadians or Euros to go gently caress themselves when they effort post at me about needing to vote or shielding some insanely awful policy being implemented.

French Goon: "Vote!"

*Gets owned by the Prime Minister bypassing Parliament without having to have a vote*

US Goon: "Welcome to the party, pal!"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I saw the avatar and read the text and thought it was a Don Hughes post.

I thought it was Garth Marenghi.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

That letter from midsize banks is 100% correct that Yellin's statements have potentially created a huge banking crisis.

Not for the people that matter!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Can someone explain that thing where JP Morgan personally called all the bankers together to save the economy at the turn of the last century?

JP Morgan basically demanded letting him merge US Steel in return for staunching the Panic of 1907 caused by the Knickerbocker Trust Company loving up, and Theodore "Anti-Trust" Roosevelt was pro-monopoly in this case (supposedly one of things that pissed off Roosevelt in 1912 at his successor, William Howard Taft, was that Taft had the DOJ sue US Steel as violating Anti-Trust law, but the courts sided with JP Morgan/US Steel because Lochner Court.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Al! posted:

all he wants to do is immiserate working class people for the gain of the ultra wealthy, :qq:

"How could the former Rothschild & Co investment banker sell us out?! :qq: Also, why is he praising Marshal Pétain?! :qq:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ETA until the Saudis threaten to embargo Switzerland if they get even $.01 shaved? :thunk: