Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Lord of Hats posted:

There has been a lot of people posting “Riven Sex RP” repeatedly, but literally none of those people were a part of this—it’s pure goon telephone. It was a single scene in a long game of that had like two mods trying to manage something like 50 people, and was in no way some planned thing at the start of the game, which otherwise didn’t have any remotely sexual content—mostly just people dying to ecological disaster.

man, you put together a whole rear end rpg based on the hit 90s adventure game Riven and everyone's happy. but you throw in one sex scene without getting consent from anyone and have a rule where if you talk about being uncomfortable you get kicked out of the discord and everyone loses their poo poo. crazy, right?

listen i don't know how you sorted all this out in your head so that it's okay somehow, but the only person buying it is you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
proposal: An upgraded game of Mafia themed after Riven (the sequel to Myst)
execution: the FFVII house, but online and with sex robots

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sounds like it's good that pera person had their account permanently destroyed

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

*DSP voice* I’m the one who ran the sex torture Riven roleplay. Me. Ree

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Lord of Hats posted:

He’s a person—as someone who values the ability to learn from mistakes, I would say a good person—not a cartoon pervert.

Everyone is a person. People do awful things, especially when their environments reinforce those behaviors; cartoon villains don’t exist. You’ve learned nothing. Everything about you and your arguments comes from centering your comfort and experience.

What time does this thread close?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As someone who also put in some time in the online RPG mines back in the day, the idea of a game where the players aren't actually allowed to talk to each other at all out-of-character is completely wild to me. I certainly knew such games existed, and I'm sure not going to claim that nothing ever went rotten in the games where that wasn't the case (oh LORD no), but that seems like such a recipe for disaster in about a thousand different ways.

Anyway, I'm glad things have worked out as well as they did. I absolutely wasn't sure that I was making the right choice opening this up last night (and not just because Jeffrey, for good reason, wanted a potentially sensitive discussion to happen in private), but I didn't see any possible outcome other than "a v bad discussion would happen across ten other SAD threads instead" happening if I didn't, and everythingWasBees being openly willing to share what happened to them made it feel right.

I appreciate all the kind words, of course, but it's really everyone else who made this a place where people felt free and able to actually share what was going on (and in particular Fluffdaddy's willingness to listen to and act on something that must have seemed utterly alien to him) that made this an actual SAD success story.

pog, I will still leave the honor of turning out the lights to you.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

*DSP voice* I’m the one who ran the sex torture Riven roleplay. Me. Ree

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

Everyone is a person. People do awful things, especially when their environments reinforce those behaviors; cartoon villains don’t exist. You’ve learned nothing. Everything about you and your arguments comes from centering your comfort and experience.

What time does this thread close?

I think 11 minutes but no one really knows what central time is

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sharknado slashfic posted:

I think 11 minutes but no one really knows what central time is

It's, you know, central. In the center. Of the time.

(Yeah, about ten minutes. If for whatever reason it's not closed by the time I get back from cooking lunch I'll do it.)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

I am making a joke about you suggesting an alternative hobby that also has a history of making people uncomfortable with sexual poo poo, lol.

wtf video games are u playing??

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

My last minute thing isn't really about the content of the thread but just to say Hello to Bees and give them my support by saying "believe their posts"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

god bless this forum and the united states of america

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Quick before the thread closes how the hell do I beat So Amon in Yakuza 0 I can nearly get him to the second stage but he eventually starts stunlocking the entire arena and then shoots his one hit kill laser at me I have no idea how to counter that

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

meinberg is a pretty cool poster imho

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Lord of Hats posted:

Then the signature problem of IMG was… basically that whole communal attitude in and of itself.

I’m don’t have time for another effort post, but I wholly mean it when I say gently caress yourself. I think (what is left of) your community is just now hopefully beginning to learn their lessons.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

I cast fireball

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

I am making a joke about you suggesting an alternative hobby that also has a history of making people uncomfortable with sexual poo poo, lol.

I think you are being an rear end in a top hat and how you are talking about this shifts the blame a bit on the people who came forward. Like I don't totally disagree that this whole 24/7 RP thing isn't "freak poo poo" on some level, but so is looking at birds through binoculars or whatever. You are just making it sound like the people who got hurt should have known better at this point.

lol weird rear end

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

As far as I know, there are no sexual parts or explicit sexual content in the game Riven. Riven is a puzzle adventure game that focuses on exploration, puzzle-solving, and storytelling, and its themes are centered around science fiction, fantasy, and mystery.

While there may be some suggestive or mature themes in the game's narrative, there is no overtly sexual content in Riven. The game is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB, which means it is considered appropriate for players of all ages.

we’re rethinking your moms puzzle game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

pog boyfriend posted:

alright last call if anyone has any good posts to make here, at 11am cst i am going to be closing this thread and shipping it to the goldmine before it gets fail since people are already comparing the video game pathologic to roleplay sex crimes or whatever the f is going on (Not reading most of the posts here, but i trust my gut feeling its been fail)

American McGay posted:

Did someone say high-stakes forums RP??? Brother check this poo poo out. Doesn't get any higher stakes than this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jyv6ql1jfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWeZ01TNjSI

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
thanks to docbeard, the goons who were cool about this whole thing, and especially the goons who came forward and spoke up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Note to self - Members of the IMG community are absolute freaks and should not be tolerated