Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
https://mobile.twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1641572247700926465

I would take a thousand Jeff Tiedrichs over this rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

I am not being ironic when I say bribery and threats would be acceptable to keep that from happening.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is the third major study in the last year that analyzed 40 years of data and determined that any amount of alcohol is harmful to your health.

There are also not health benefits to drinking a moderate amount of red wine or beer, contrary to many popular assumptions.

Additionally, their findings were similar to others conducted by the WHO and the World Heart Federation that determined that even consuming 2 drinks per week has negative health impacts.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1643538978014986240

I’ll still keep drinking that garbage.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's a compromise that still gives space to the worst bigots and allows trans people to be frozen out in sports at a professional level by excluding them from college and highschool play. The American way, we won't kill you, just push you into a socio-economic class and prevent you from avenues to success until that kills you. No one's fault but your own then.

I’ve seen people try and put the blame for this on Jeff Zients, but hey, who hired that motherfucker?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

God, gently caress this senile old rapist rear end in a top hat.

But hey, looks like he’s finally getting those entitlement cuts he’s wanted his entire career!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 17, 2023

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Star Man posted:

Hillary Clinton was an awful candidate by all metrics discussed and it falling apart against a loud-mouthed bigot with no restraint isn't all that surprising. But you all are out of your fuckin gourd if you can't acknowledge that the national right-wing media was working to destroy her since she was First Lady of Arkansas, before a lot of posters in this thread were born.

The only people that truly think her loss in 2016 was because her campaign reside in left-wing bubbles online. Go outside and talk to regular people and most of them that opposed Hillary will have had their perception of her colored by forty years of right-wing disinformation.

She ran the worst campaign in American history and goths results she deserved. How do I know that?

Because she lost to Donald Trump.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

DarkCrawler posted:

Either way, now that she has become a victimizer I really don't give a poo poo about what happened or will happen to her :shrug:

She’s still a rape victim.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, and I don't care. Zero sympathy.

This is kind of a lovely thing to believe.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

It’s so funny how the entire leadership of the Democratic Party seems to be aware of how frail and decrepit this senile old bag of bones is, but there’s just nothing that can be done about it.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

yronic heroism posted:

Yes friend keeping the fascists from ascending every two years by marking a ballot does get pretty tiring but I mean so does putting the trash out and I gotta do that every week.

This argument holds less merit when the party someone might want to vote for gets kicked off the balot by one of the main two parties.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 29, 2023

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

yronic heroism posted:

Well I’m not sure what means of being “kicked off” you are referring to but this strikes me as a non sequitur. Also why are you asking us to worry about what I can only assume is also-ran, no-chance third party lines on the ballot and why can’t you write your favorite no-hoper in?

Because bleating about protecting democracy while kicking other parties off the balot is hypocritical and does not make me believe the party that does this actually cares about democracy, "also-ran, no-chance" or not.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Uglycat posted:

She wasn't a weak candidate.

She got her rear end kicked by comparative neophyte Barack Obama in a party primary. She was an unelectable oaf.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kalli posted:

Biden's decided to nominate Elliott Abrams to the Public Diplomacy Commission.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/03/politics/elliott-abrams-public-diplomacy-nomination/index.html

Abrams of course was on Venezuela under Trump, and is a convicted felon, but hey anytime you can get someone who cheers on child rapists for freedom in El Salvador, you get your man!

Anne Wedner is a "donor outreach coordinator" married to a vulture fund guy who's also done some work in Venezuela in the past, I'm sure great things are coming!

It’s quite clear that intervention in Latin America will continue under Biden as under past administrations.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

The Biden administration not only didn't coup or lawfare Lula, they told Bolsonaro and the Brazilian military not to.

You don’t give Elliot Abrams a position in your government if you intend to take a hands off approach to Latin America.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Who can forget her many accomplishments, like flying the Confederate flag over San Francisco City Hall? I know she did.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Nonsense posted:

Adam Schiff is drinking a very tall glass of water.

It’ll be fun watching Gruesome Gavin just appoint him to the seat and then awkwardly start whistling and tugging at his collar when people bring up his earlier promises.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Newsom didn't actually want to nominate Schiff. That is part of the reason why Pelosi was so insistent on defending Feinstein.

He already said that he would appoint an interim black woman (one who is specifically not already running, so not Barbara Lee) who didn't want to run in the general - slightly modifying his previous pledge to appoint a black woman in general.

I know that, and he clearly regrets saying anything at all.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I wonder if we’ll get to see Dan White’s diary now?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Because it’s weird that she was just allowed to keep that herself all this time.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

selec posted:

This loving sucks.

From “not another foot” to this:

Washington
CNN

The Biden administration will waive 26 laws to build additional border barriers in the Rio Grande Valley, according to a notice posted to the Federal Register Wednesday, citing “high illegal entry.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/05/politics/biden-administration-border-wall/index.html

Of course, we’d been promised this wouldn’t happen:

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/05/899266045/biden-would-end-border-wall-construction-but-wont-tear-down-trump-s-additions

It does feel like we’re going to have our own American debate over leaving refugees to drown in the Mediterranean but before too long here “drowning in the Mediterranean” will look like being shot from turrets along the border, hell maybe within a decade. Climate refugees aren’t going to just slow down or go away. What’s the longterm Dem strategy? Just hope everybody sees “build the wall” as quaint liberalism in a few years?

Joe “Build the Wall!” Biden, ladies and gentlemen.

2020 really was the death of people pretending to care about the rights of migrants.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

koolkal posted:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1722105016415342702

House censured Tlaib today with 22 Dems voting for it (and 4 Republicans against)

One of the only Democrats worthy of any respect, alongside Cori Bush and Ilhan Omar.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

I think your applying a narrative or motivation to their actions that isn't there. According to the same article, most of them are teens that don't follow politics, don't watch the news, and weren't very aware of the I/P conflict or American foreign policy until recently. That seems to indicate that it isn't a mass group of people rejecting their old sources of news and is more that this is the first they have heard about it because it has come up in the place where they usually get their information for the first time.

Also, the huge disclaimer that a bunch of influencers on TikTok does not remotely fully represent or equal everyone under the age of 20.

The government and media are still openly lying to them and gaslighting them about a genocide though.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

zoux posted:

Can you be gaslit if you aren't paying attention?

What actual evidence is there that they aren’t paying attention.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Most of the videos linked in the Twitter thread start out saying, "I haven't really been paying attention to this before, but I saw this on my feed and decided to look into it. This blew my mind and reading the letter has opened my eyes."

Almost all of the videos end with "Osama was right" or "Me realizing he was right."

Seems like the mainstream media and the government should stop lying about the genocide then.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mooseontheloose posted:

By posting antisemitic propaganda?

No, there actually are alternatives and I know you know that.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

They clearly aren't reacting to something they didn't know was happening and hadn't consumed, though.

According to the people making the videos, the theory that they are doing this as a kind of rejection of their traditional sources and they were driven to Osama is not the case.

They are saying they were never exposed to/thinking about any of it before and this is the first thing they have seen about it and all of Osama's predictions came true.

Seems like this is a problem entirely of the making of the American government and it’s unflinching support for Israel, and the mainstream media’s unquestioning acceptance of everything Israel says, when they even bother talking about the issue at all (which may have to do with why some zoom era and younger are only hearing about this now).

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

zoux posted:

One has nothing to do with the other.

The two are completely intertwined given the influence held by the government in terms of how it controls sources and virtually every journalist cares more about preserving access than examining it what they’ve been told is true.

CNN uncritically ram Israeli propaganda footage of the Hamas Terror Basement featuring a calendar that listed the days of the week on Arabic, and Joe Biden not only reaffirmed Israel’s right to attack a hospital but repeated the beheaded babes hoax (something CNN helped promulgate). They feed off of each other.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 16, 2023

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

zoux posted:

Right, but none of these OBL letter likers watch that stuff. You seem to want to argue "Resolved: The American mass media is overwhelmingly on the side of Israel" to which I would not necessarily disagree.

No, what I’m saying is that when someone can go on TikTok and see a Palestinian father run into a tent carrying what’s left of his children in garbage bags, a child with a hole blown straight through their head, and children cut in half by JDAMS, and then go turn on CNN and see some American or Israeli media mouthpiece or think tank ghoul downplaying or denying these things, they will correctly realize ‘oh, I am being lied to,’ and start searching for other sources. The quality might be very dark.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Baronash posted:

If someone’s exposure to a particular news source is 1 minute snippets created by whoever happens to pop up in their feed, then they are in no way in a position to be assessing the credibility of those sources. What a bizarre argument.

It's actually incredibly easy to determine the credibility of a source when you can see dozens of examples of a day of claims like Israel is doing targeted strikes and Israel is doing everything it can to avoid civilian casualties being bald faced lies.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

RBA Starblade posted:

Osama Bin Laden: A Credible Source

Wow, it's incredible that I said that!

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

B B posted:

Biden's approval rating continues its free fall:

https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/1726240932507349100

Joe Biden is flushing his presidency down the toilet on behalf of a country that absolutely loving hates him and is openly rooting for his likely opponent.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

I'm really not trying to be a kill joy, but, he kind of won, it's hard to be that happy now.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 30, 2023

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

James Garfield posted:

It's selfish because you're prioritizing your own feelings about getting cooties by voting for a Democrat over the lives of the Ukrainian children who will get hit by shaheds when Trump stops supplying air defense. Literally the only advantage of not voting is that you don't get cooties.

If you feel it is selfish to not vote for someone who is one of the people responsible for an ongoing genocide then you lose the right to get mad when people point out what you are saying really means, or to chide people for whom it is a red line.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Misunderstood posted:

So does insanely restrictive immigration policy, with brutality visited upon violators. So does increasing funding for cops. So does Israel's war in Gaza.

Not sure what my point is.

You mean... they campaign? (I know you're probably talking about "ballot access" and "centrist voltron" and poo poo; I regret to inform you that those fall under the umbrella of "campaigning.")

Yeah and that's why Biden has been a good president.

It's not even just the "riding a horse in battle" stuff - all of Biden's stuttering and airhead moments don't matter when he's in a meeting. It's just part of the pageantry.

Not seeing the difference in this distinction...

Well, if you want to think it's not selfish to accomplish nothing, and feel good about yourself for it, while actively choosing to not mitigate the risks that marginalized Americans face, go ahead I guess.

Like, "I don't want to vote for someone who supports genocide." Why not? What is that accomplishing? It's certainly not stopping genocide, considering the opponent's victory would do nothing to improve the situation. It's to make you feel better about yourself! You are just agreeing with me and saying you don't.

Biden cannot be a good president worthy of support when he is actively more responsible for a genocide occurring than anyone save Benjamin Netanyahu and the Israeli war cabinet.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
If Joe Niden loses it will be his fault and that of the Democrats for running him in the first place, not the people who refuse to vote for him because of his complicity in a genocide.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Agents are GO! posted:

And I don't care how you rationalize it, I'm asking you to show some empathy and not enable fascists to kill me because you're worried about maintaining your moral purity.

I put it that way because do you think that not voting for Joe Biden will lead to a better outcome for Palestinians? If your answer is no, and you still won't vote to keep fascists out of power, then you're voting solely on how voting makes you feel about yourself and not about material conditions.

That, as I said, is a position that is worthy of derision.

Not voting for someone carrying out a genocide is not a matter of preserving moral purity.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

John Yossarian posted:

I don't think Biden supports genocide, I just think he's too chicken poo poo to tell Israel to stop. He may be thinking that he'll lose the Jewish votes if he says anything, which is really disturbing if you think about it.

At this point there is basically no difference in if he does or doesn’t actively support it or not.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 23, 2023

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Misunderstood posted:

They weren’t going to vote anyway and they deserve to be annoyed.

Or maybe, just maybe, they would have voted but aren’t going to for specific reasons. Such as the president strongly supporting a genocide.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ogmius815 posted:

Scolding is what you do with intransigent children. So I’m pro vote scolding.

It is, in fact, not childish not to vote when the person you’re being scolded to vote for is helping carry out a genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It is when the result of that will be to assist a candidate which is even MORE pro-genocide.

“Vote for the man who is committing a genocide right now to avoid a hypothetical future genocide” is not a rallying cry I’d advise any political party to run with.