Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Rappaport posted:

I can't find it now, but I remember a rather passionate opinion written by some evangelical pastor about how Trump was everything wrong with America and no right-minded, to them, religious person should vote for him. And then it turned out...!

Trump embraced Christianity, and Evangelicals in particular, in a way no other modern President really has. Giving them that attention boosted his voting base, and allowed his sins to be forgiven. There are a lot of Evangelical leaders who have quietly said that Trump is going to be hugely detrimental to the church in the long run - but in the short run, he gave them power and access.

Tons of articles out there on the subject, but I'm hoping (praying?) that we're going to see a lot of change in American Christianity over the next decade or so, between the Trump/Evangelical falling out and the current issues the Southern Baptist Convention is going through. Lots of room for disillusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I don't suppose you have a paragraph or two in you on this? effortposts are always welcome

I can try to summarize if that's helpful, but everything I know is based on a lot of reading. I have no first hand knowledge, I'm not religious.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Automata 10 Pack posted:

He’s so going to be our president. lol.

So anyways, Clarence Thomas has been taking bribes:

https://www.propublica.org/article/clarence-thomas-scotus-undisclosed-luxury-travel-gifts-crow

Will he see any repercussion? I mean, his wife was involved in the coup so uh.

Weren't there a lot of rumors and allegations that Scalia had the same kind of relationship(s)? I'm not sure if "bribery" is the correct term unless there was an established quid pro quo, but I'm pretty sure Thomas isn't (wasn't) the only one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

If the IRS can get enough momentum to show some returns, they can win this on PR alone.

"We're enforcing tax codes that Congress passed on American citizens - requiring them to do their civic duty. I thought you were the party of law and order?"
"We're bringing government revenues in, helping to balance out government spending. I thought you were the party of fiscal responsibility?"

Who knows how effective it will be, since everything is bonkers right now - but generally those would be solid talking points.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Main Paineframe posted:

I can't really think of any legal justification for the federal government to get involved. This poo poo is stupid and petty, but it's not a federal crime.

Can the federal government allocate funding directly to Shelby County to offset anything taken away by the state? It's supposed to go through the state but it can be earmarked with a pretty stern warning of how it's to be spent. May not be a great strategy, but it is a strategy.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mooseontheloose posted:

I do appreciate though there has been a move to tell parents, give your young kids calories, try your best on balancing the meal.

The advice to couples I know with young kids has been "Don't worry about a balanced meal, try for a balanced week."

Some days your kid will be fine eating fruits and veggies, sometimes all they'll eat might be plain rice or mac and cheese.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

If you want to make fun of Trump regarding food, make fun of him serving McDonalds hamberders (sic) to the Clemson Tigers after they won the NCAA championship.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Star Man posted:

They were served fast food because the dimmer was during a government shutdown. Not that I would put it past Trump to have done that with or without the shutdown, but staff was unavailable because of the shutdown.

IIRC the government was shut down because Congress wouldn't approve $5B for Trump's border wall.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Morrow posted:

Multiple McDonalds, or any fast food chain, receive an order when it visibly comes from the White House to reduce the possibility that any single point of contact can tamper with the food. So that order of 200 burders was actually an order of 1,000 burders spread throughout the DMV.

It would be easier to just not make it obvious the order came from the White House. Place the order for pickup, have the Secret Service (or someone else) pick it up and charge it to some nondescript card.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Wheeljack posted:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/04/19/uneasy-marijuana-industry-seeks-broader-trade-amid-vast-glut-2/

It seems that there's a huge glut of marijuana in the western states, enough that producers are going out of business. With it being illegal on the federal level, it can't be transported or sold out of state legally. Some are turning to smuggling and Mexican cartels are running illegal pot farms for that reason as well.

"When legalization started in Oregon in 2015, a pound of cannabis might have gone for $3,000 wholesale; today, it might be $100 to $150, said Isaac Foster, co-founder of Portland Cannabis Market, a wholesale distributor."

With the Biden administration not showing any inclination to allow for interstate sales, the future seems uncertain.

Isn't banking (or lack thereof) one of the major challenges for any marijuana-related enterprise? Maybe it's been resolved by intrastate banks but I seem to remember a bunch of articles about how it was effectively a cash business since major banks wouldn't touch anyone involved due to federal regulations, and fear of scrutiny from the FDIC (or other banking regulators).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah. The more likely option is just some truly explicitly racist text message logs, stuff bad enough that it'd make Murdoch look bad for tolerating it, hard-r etc.

But I like to think a criminal charge is incoming because that's funnier.

Whether criminal, civil, or simply public perception, I'm betting the core issue is that Fox dug up something that deem as making him too much of a liability to tolerate. By canning him now, they mitigate accusations of "But you found out he was doing XYZ, why didn't you respond immediately?!"

If I had to guess - I'd say it's a civil issue. Something came out that could be damning for Fox in court, and they just had a high profile settlement.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'd be more concerned about a Trump-Carlson ticket, personally.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Oxyclean posted:

Weird, I thought I heard this guy was behind some of the anti-trans crap, but it might just be a side effect of his name popping up around republican crap a whole bunch of times.

Nah, Thiel has been a die-hard Libertarian for years. He wants the smallest of small governments, the lowest taxes possible, and the ability to increase his wealth by any means necessary. Remember, this was one of the main backers of Blake Masters.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Disney has one of the absolutely scariest corporste legal teams on the planet, at least of any corp that PROBABLY doesn't just routinely have people murdered. There is a zero percent chance they didn't get this going the moment it became plausible that DeSantis was dumb enough to make war on the Mouse.

Kinda curious to know what other corporations are in the running for this. Hasbro sent the Pinkertons after a guy this week which took me by surprise.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Zero_Grade posted:

Oh I'm sure, I just found it impressive that they foresaw exactly how things would go and had a laser-accurate suit ready to go the second the gavel pounded at the idiot board meeting. Probably a number of contingency cases too, just because.

And uh, I'm kinda on Beetus' side here, although I suspect they offer an out of working a tour or two in the Goofy Suit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney's legal office had a betting pool going based on which lawsuit would be the most appropriate to file, based on how Desantis responded.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

VorpalBunny posted:

My kids do film/TV/commercial background work and one is technically a Disney employee based on some work he did on General Hospital last year, so we get Disney employee emails and mail sometimes. I don't know what division it came from, but when there was a mass shooting down the street from our house we got a text message and email from Disney Corporate making sure we were ok. They offered counseling and anything else we might need. Disney does not gently caress around.

Disney probably views themselves as a relatively high value target for terrorism. The mouse is, in many ways, America's mascot. Different global events affect companies just as much as people.

As an example, HEB (grocery chain) here in TX had an outstanding response to COVID due to having an existing pandemic response plan after seeing what happened to supply chains after one of the previous ones (avian flu in the 2000s I think). They didn't just write it up and leave it in a drawer either, they actively updated it to have a corporate response for continuing operations should there be a pandemic.
It worked.

I can easily see Disney writing up a similar plan and building a working group to mitigate threats after 9/11 and other global events since.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The youth of today are sexually open chewing tobacco and vaping enthusiast virgins.

I may need to borrow this quote....

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

There is also the possibility that this place is remote enough that law enforcement is 60 minutes (or more) away. Rural areas in America don't enjoy the timely response that urban areas do.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Jaxyon posted:

Global markets are already moving away from the dollar in small ways that are gaining steam.

I guess the only question is whether there are enough True Believers in congress that they'd be willing to blow up the US's global economic hegemony to force cuts to welfare or whatever.

Can you go into more detail on this?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

I read the article. It indicates throughout, and concludes, that Holmes is a skilled charlatan who is trying to use the author to rehab her public image, and ends with rejecting the couple's calculated self-presentation:

I think 'sociopath' would be the word I'd use, rather than charlatan. But that's just me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Gyges posted:

The Florida Legislature is just this side of a rubber stamp for the Governor. He could have gotten that bill passed at any time in the last 5 years, but didn't. Hell, a large part of their enthusiasm in doing his bidding has been racking up favors for President/Presidential Candidate DeSantis.

Ehhh...I think the FL legislature is simultaneously getting sick of his poo poo. There have been at least a couple articles here, with quotes from legislators, basically saying that they're sick of doing DeSantis' bidding because it means ignoring actual problems that need to be dealt with. I'm sure it runs both ways, but the FL legislature is hardly a homogeneous group.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Randalor posted:

So I'm guessing his bigger doners started making some sternly-worded phonecalls to his office and what they would figuratively do to his political aspirations if thr debt limit wasn't raised?

Probably not just his biggest donors, but every major Republican donor except the truest of the true believers.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Jury verdict reached in Trump rape trial:

- Jury finds Trump did defame E. Jean Carroll.
- Jury finds Trump did sexually assault/commit battery against E. Jean Carroll.
- Jury says Trump did not rape E. Jean Carroll.

Edit: News story just went up.

Link:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/05/09/nyregion/trump-carroll-rape-trial-verdict?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Next question of course will be how long Trump can drag this out on appeals once damages are decided.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I wonder if Tacopina has him on daily/weekly invoicing, or is just planning on writing a bunch of this down as a cost of doing business to get his name in the press (and make him more prominent in right wing circles). Trump has burned so many lawyers in the past I'm surprised he's able to find even bad counsel at this point.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What the heck is the difference? Because until this exact moment I thought they were different names for the same thing.

Most jurisdictions have a difference. It's usually fondling/groping/kissing vs. penetration/intercourse.

Functionally, it's similar to how Manslaughter and Murder often have different standards for being charged.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Failed Imagineer posted:

Are you just ignoring the existence of cartels and price-fixing?

Beat me to it - collusion is also a major problem.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Tucker Carlson to relaunch his show on Twitter.

Only planned right now, but Musk can easily pay more than the $20M/yr that Fox was offering.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Harold Fjord posted:

Literally just halving the face value of bonds but charging the same price for them. It's brilliant in its simplicity.

Next they should write a law that says that the national debt must always be measured per capita.

But only in years with a Democrat as President. When it's a Republican, debt must be measured against the amount of water in the ocean.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I AM GRANDO posted:

Doesn’t she have a family? I couldn’t stand to see my grandmother going around like that as a shell of her former self.

I've had elderly family with dementia, and it can be incredibly difficult to convince them that they aren't as mentally capable as they once were. It's also very hard to convince someone to give up their independence and autonomy - especially as in the case of Feinstein, who is one of the richest members of Congress. She can afford just about any lifestyle she wants, and unless her family is willing and able to convince her to step down, she can find enablers who are more than happy to work for her.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

koolkal posted:

Yes, I would assume the winner of an election would win more states than the loser of one?

WI was +20000 Biden, AZ was +11000 Biden, GA was +22000 Biden. If all 3 of those had swung to Trump, Trump would have won the election. 2020 was a closer election and more of an outlier by pretty much every metric besides lovely pre-election polling.

Calling Trump's 2016 win an outlier and "black swan" is bizarre and doesn't match up with any reality beyond "vibes."

I'd still consider it an outlier for no other reason than when was the last time the US elected a President who had no prior political experience - even state or local?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Will we even have debates for 2024? If DeSantis somehow wins the nomination, I can see him agreeing to it - but I can't see Trump and Biden on stage together again.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

bird food bathtub posted:

I think having a button to cut his mic and turn on a big, red, "You're muted, rear end in a top hat, stop trying to talk." light could work. If you forced him to shut the gently caress up and let someone else get a point, any point, out of their mouths without getting drowned out by being called a nasty woman then something could happen. It wouldn't be a debate or a conversation, because he'll go right back to that the instant the light goes off but it could be made to work as.....something.

Which is why he would never agree to it.

I'm not sure if there was a light, but the second debate in 2020 muted each candidate's mic while the other had their allotted 2 minutes to answer per question explicitly to keep the debate functional.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sorry, but ChatGPT has determined you are no longer covered

Next fun industry to start buying into ChatGPT/AI - debt collectors.

Wired article on robo-lawyers to file claims suits.
Vice article on replacing human contact with ChatGPT for voice and chatbot collections.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Marjorie Taylor Greene announces articles of impeachment against Biden.

quote:

"Joe Biden has deliberately compromised our national security by refusing to enforce immigration laws and secure our border, allowed approximately 6 million illegals from over 160 countries to invade our country, deprived border patrol of the necessary resources and policies sufficient to protect our country, and his administration has willfully refused to maintain operational control as required by law," Greene said in a statement.

The first of the three articles of impeachment alleged that Biden's actions have led to an increase in "illegal aliens and illegal narcotics, including deadly fentanyl, entering the United States." It also claimed that his administration has "willfully violated" the law "by releasing illegal aliens into the interior of the United States."

Unsurprising - both in the reason behind it, and who's calling for it. Probably won't go anywhere, I'd bet this is mostly a stunt attempting to trip up Biden during election season.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Class3KillStorm posted:

If that's the case, aren't they throwing this out there way too early? It's one thing for a pointless and specious impeachment attempt to hit in the late summer or fall of 2024, but throwing it out there 18 months in advance just insures that it will be forgotten by the time anyone heads to the polls next year.

Or they're throwing one out now, and then another one next year so the GOP can claim that Biden has had members of the House try to impeach him twice, same as Trump!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yureina posted:

Except that Trump actually was impeached, just not removed from office. I guess they are hoping that their audience for said propaganda would just be really ignorant?

...Have you seen what the GOP has been spewing for the last several years?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Charliegrs posted:

The loss in revenue from cable is going to have to come from somewhere. And since most cable companies are ISPs as well, that really doesnt bode well for what they plan to do with internet subscriptions. Especially since net neutrality is gone. I can totally see Comcast limiting ESPN streaming to some kind of "Sports plus" internet package that will cost extra on top of your base internet bill. Same thing with streaming services like HBO Now or whatever it's called this week. While I think cable is an archaic useless overpriced thing these days I'm not exactly looking forward to the day that it no longer exists.

High speed internet should be a utility at this point.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, wait the Space Force is still an actual thing?

Yes, and there's a good chance they'll increase in relative importance over the next several decades within the US DoD. It's unlikely they'll ever be a coequal branch like Navy/AF/Army, but the potential for increased militarization of space is still there - and having an established specialized force to deal with it isn't a bad idea. Hell, even prior to becoming an independent service branch under USAF, the USAF had a dedicated space command - that's what was largely lopped off to create Space Force.

Their careers site is hilarious and worth going through. What kind of Guardian are you?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Willa Rogers posted:

This is not a breakdown by party, but makes me skeptical of your claim, given the number of Democratic names I recognize.

The Senate has always attracted & kept the olds--it used to be that almost all its members had first served in the U.S. House of Representatives for a while (including those four women in 1992, iirc)--but I do think there are factors other than their hearts being invested in public service that weigh toward that.

I'd say it's more a matter of most (all?) politicians will weigh their options at some point and decide whether it's worth it to continue in politics, or semi-retire for a paycheck. Part of that is the likelihood of success in either arena - any Senator who is facing a stiff enough electoral challenge may decide it's not worth the time and stress to campaign again. There are also politicians who may find it difficult to find the consulting/lobbying job they want, depending on how many people they pissed off, which would figure into the decision. Sinema and Cruz are two people who fit that bill.

And of course, there are probably true believers for both sides of the coin as well - those who see politics as their goal, a career in public service, vs. those who just want a cushy 6-7 figure job at a think tank, lobbying firm, or law firm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Jaxyon posted:

Hillary was a perfectly good candidate who didn't take rightwing populism seriously and failed because of it.

Please, for the love of god, all of you see someone so you can talk about the trauma of 2016 so we don't have to reenact it every single week.

I think we need a USPE - 2016 Election thread.