Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This discussion is interesting to me because I work in the field and frequently advise marketing what we can and cannot put on a label.
In Australia there are labelling regulations as part of the Food Standards Code, including a lot of information on what standards you have to make in order to make specific claims.
There is also a requirement enforced by the ACCC that a label not be 'deceptive'. Importantly, this second requirement is entirely seperate and distinct from our legal obligations under the Code. Even if what you're doing is explicitly permitted by a strict reading of the Code, the Australian Consumer & Competition Commission can still decide that it is deceptive to the average consumer and order you to stop (and sue you if you refuse).
'Technically correct' is not a defence to the ACCC. They consider the 'overall impression' that a consumer would get from the label and associated advertising, not a pedantic reading of the exact phrase used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

FTC has the same authority, but for straightforward reasons they try to avoid setting up potential conflict with other agencies most of the time.

The ACCC is much more proactive, although they prefer to avoid actually taking stuff to court where possible and instead get companies to sign undertakings to withdraw the offending packaging/signage and train their staff so it doesn't happen again.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jesus III posted:

Gasoline has a much higher energy density than a lithium battery. Why would the fire be worse?

Gasoline needs air, and to be mixed with air. Lions burn all by themselves, and spontaneously ignite if crushed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pretty sure the plan is to let corporations 'hire' them for 10c / hour and no you don't get to refuse. The prison industrial system, expanded!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

What makes you say this? I believe this is an American dogma. Official policy in many countries, including Turkey, is to fire warning shots. Turkish police kill far fewer people than American ones (roughly 400 from 2007 through 2020, compare to over 1000 in the USA in the last 12 months).

The doctrine as I'm aware of it is that you do not fire your weapon unless someone's life is in immediate danger, and if someone's life is in immediate danger you don't gently caress around. If the situation doesn't require shooting-to'-kill then don't shoot at all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

If anyone hasn't read the article, they should because it's a wild loving ride. The judge approved the order the same day her mother filed the petition, with no hearing or evidence or anyone appointed to defend the daughter. The daughter wasn't even informed after - she didn't find out until after she was married and trying to get pregnant, which is when she sued everyone involved. The supreme court held that the judge had absolute immunity and everyone else involved was protected by the court order.

Every sentence in the entire article is :psyduck:

Did the surgeon get hosed by a medical ethics/licensing board at least?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A Washington Post writer is reporting that some Republican leaders are considering letting the country get to the brink of default, having Biden invoke the 14th amendment, and not really challenging the legality of it in any meaningful way. This strategy is appealing because it can:

Wouldn't this massively damage America's credit rating? From the point of view of an overseas lender / bond holder it is "the Republicans tried to go into default but were prevented. Next time they're elected....."

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 12, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Americans want to be governed by pudding-brained gerontocrats. Else they wouldn't keep electing them president.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How long until the AOC presidency?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We have the PBS here, so at least it's the government deciding if a given drug is worth it.
(If a drug is on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme list then the end-user pays maximum $20 per refill, any difference between $20 and the actual-price is paid from the PBS. In return they use this purchasing power to negotiate with pharma companies about whether their product will be on the PBS and how much they have to reduce the price by in order for it to be added)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

She obviously doesn't give a poo poo if those people die, she would unhesitatingly pull the big trolley problem lever to annihilate every single Medicaid recipient if it got her 3 seconds of airtime on Fox News and an approving retweet from Kevin Sorbo.

Replace every Congressional aid with nursing home patients

The difficult decision would be if she was forced to choose between killing every medicaid recipient and three seconds of airtime.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also never forget that the transphobic push is very clearly a wedge to re-impose legally enforced gender conformity and roll back existing rights. It's no coincidence it ramped up after Roe vs Wade was struck down. The fascists are winning, and they know it.

Hell, sumptuary laws have already made a comeback. Florida legally compels people to wear the 'correct' culturally-mandated clothing for their gender-role.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pobrecito posted:

Personally I wouldn't ever nominate a war criminal to be in any position whatsoever.

Inmate?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Are there any actual resources that I could use to determine if my protein powder contains any actual protein?

You could buy plain whey powder I guess, and flavour it yourself?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I react more strongly to sexual-assault allegations out of a perception that you need a hue-and-cry in order for anything to happen at all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

the_steve posted:

He doesn't need to, it's already been pretty well established that unless someone is on video clearly and unambiguously saying "Here is the bribe that I am currently engaged in bribing you with in exchange for political favors. This bribe right here. Kuzco's bribe. The bribe for Kuzco.", then you can't really "know" it's a bribe.

You didn't specify which political favours each bribe is for. Fails the test.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Squibbles posted:

Tell that to the libertarians that took over that town in New Hampshire. Nobody did garbage collection and eventually bears took over the town.

You say nobody took over garbage collection, but then you say bears did? Clearly the free market provided a solution

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What guarantees could McCain possibly give that he could actually be held to?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is anything going to come of this if none of the crazies are willing to say they want it?

What /does/ happen if there are no candidates for Speaker?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Riptor posted:

chaos reigns

Undead fox for speaker?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You guys really need a rule that if the speakers chair is vacant for more than X days or if Supply fails then the President is empowered to call an election.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nervous posted:

McCarthy, McHenry, McCarthy, the next name on McCarthy's list, McCarthy, the third name on McCarthy's list, Gaetz (just so the house can move to vacate him 415-20), McCarthy, Skillings. Did I get it right?

Pelosi for 15 minutes
(so she can give herself her office back)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do the dems have enough to offer defectors that they could have a go at forming a minority government?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

So, just speaking theoretically here because I'm sure it's extremely unlikely, but what happens if the majority party is unable to elect a speaker? Are there any procedural fallbacks if they're literally unable to get their poo poo together for weeks or longer?

Stout sticks are distributed and the House doors locked until only one faction remains.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does the Speaker election need a majority of the votes or just a plurality

Majority, unless a majority votes that they don't need a majority.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MicaSoellnerDC/status/1712505885791043667

McGriddles is overselling it, just a simple Egg McMuffin shows you are both fiscally responsible and have elegant good taste.

By including bacon and cheese he can be exclusionary to any muslims, jews or buddhists who might have accidentally joined the Republican party.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Smarter move than remaining in the race, dumber move than never entering it at all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aren't republicans incapable of passing ANY budget at the moment? Not just incapable of one that can also pass the senate, they can't even come up with a spending bill at all and even if they also controlled the Senate and Presidency the government would still shut down.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IMO the Speaker should be selected each week: the departing speaker tosses the gavel and whoever catches it is the next speaker.
(It is the departing speaker's choice whether to throw underarm or overarm)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mutata posted:

I would prefer ALL nuclear button-watchers to just nod off on the job, frankly.

As long as the molly-guard is still down. Otherwise it could be an issue.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Made from real humans

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How does video evidence work in these days of easy editing, anyway? Do proper security cameras have serious chain-of-custody systems built in to protect against allegations of tampering?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That makes sense. Video-on-its-own is not evidence because it could be altered, but it acts to enhance witness testimony that they are not mistaken or remembering incorrectly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

Assemble a slate consisting of all GOP caucus members. Everyone votes for one of them and the slate wins. The house now has 220 speakers and we just need to negotiate a power-sharing agreement to get back to business

The agreement: whoever is holding the gavel at any specific moment is the acting speaker.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Didn't the Tuber have a big mad about navy sailors being exposed to... poetry... as well, or am I conflating things?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We're headed for the comedy universe where Trump is president but the dems hold both the House and the Senate.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

It is extremely clear that he genuinely wanted to buy Twitter, and then changed his mind and genuinely wanted to get out of buying Twitter. We don't know (and will likely never know) why exactly he made these decisions

It's drugs OP.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

This raise-the-price-and-discount nonsense is extremely annoying. It is great that capitalism has given me the gift of having to learn stocking schedules, go without things I previously bought rather casually, and get screwed when something runs out that I can’t go without. If I had excess space I could stock up during the sales, but I don’t, so it’s welcome to Screwville for me.

Punishing you for being poor is the entire point. Having more money means you get more privileges, that's what money is, and coming up with a new way for poor people to suffer is just as good as coming up with a new way for rich people to consume.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Can’t people easily die from exposure from stunts like this?

Canadian police used to be big fans of it. (still are?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can clone the chip? I thought the whole point of the chip was that scanning it didn’t give the information needed to do that.