Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Kalit posted:

It's one in the same since the 2nd amendment exists solely because of racism

Could you expand on this? I'm familiar with gun control laws only becoming popular when the "wrong people" started carrying, but I'm honestly stumped figuring out the racial angle on the 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
At this point someone will literally need to bring a corpse from one of the shootings, dump it on Congress's floor, and just stare at the legislators.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I don't think the biggest problem for a jury will be one or two die hards for Trump, but keeping that jury intact and safe. Even if they anonymize and sequester the jurors there are going to be some mighty interesting people doing everything possible to find their identities and start pressuring them any way possible.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
In other news, one Alabama senator is doing his damndest to make sure the military doesn't fill out the officer corps over contraception/abortion access

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/07/politics/senate-hold-military-nominations/index.html

CNN posted:

The Defense Department is urgently working with lawmakers in hopes of resolving a hold on critical military nominations, including for some of the most senior ranking officers, as concerns inside the Pentagon grow about the potential impact on national security, defense officials told CNN.

Alabama Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville has single-handedly blocked the nominations to protest new Pentagon policies ensuring service members have access to reproductive health care following the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v. Wade last year. Tuberville first threatened to put a hold on DOD nominees in December, and followed through in March.

Tuberville’s objection has thrown a wrench in what is usually a routine Senate maneuver in which hundreds of military nominations are confirmed all at once under a process known as unanimous consent. If Tuberville continues to hold out, the Senate would have to vote on hundreds of Pentagon nominations one at a time — a process that a Democratic Senate aide said could take a year to get through.

“This political showmanship could have a serious impact on our military readiness, on our military forces, and on our national security,” a National Security Council spokesman told CNN.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Another day, another shooting of someone in the wrong place:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/19/us/texas-cheerleaders-woodlands-elite-shooting/index.html

CNN posted:

Authorities have arrested the man they say shot two teenage cheerleaders after one said she mistook the suspect’s vehicle as her own in a supermarket parking lot near Texas’ capital – at least the third incident this week in which young people who’d made an apparent mistake were met with gunfire.

Pedro Tello Rodriguez Jr., 25, was taken into custody early Tuesday, the Elgin Police Department said in a news release later that morning.

Officers responding just after midnight Tuesday to an H-E-B supermarket parking lot found two people in a vehicle who’d been struck by bullets, police said, citing preliminary reports. One with serious injuries was rushed by helicopter to a hospital and in critical condition, while the other was treated at the scene, the release said.

The latter girl had gotten out of a friend’s car and opened the door to a vehicle she thought was hers, only to find a man sitting in the passenger seat, she said during a livestreamed prayer vigil Tuesday night at her cheer team’s gym, CNN affiliate KTRK reported.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
So if someone from the HFC or the like decides to go nuclear and call for a new Speaker does that get priority and assumably clusterfuck everything, or is there any way to hold that off until the debt compromise passes?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Appears it's passing with 259 yeas and growing as of now.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

cat botherer posted:

Every American deserves to have a train run on them. Or for them, or whatever. People should be able to commute, run errands, and do leisure activities without owning a personal car. The infrastructure would be expensive, but much cheaper than the current road system, the hundreds of millions of cars, and the ruination of the Earth.

Alright, I'll bite. What about more rural areas? Public transport works well on a regular schedule with dense population but what about areas that are spread out and will not necessarily be going places in a routine?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Josef bugman posted:

I mean, do you think that busses somehow cannot work in rural environs at all? I would think that in truly rural areas you'd still be able to do a quick form fill in and get a car if required, but I think busses could work for larger rural areas or collective car pools to help out.

I don't really understand the hostility tbh.

I'm not opposed to it, but rural America once you get roughly an hour out of a major metropolitan area makes it very hard to support a transit network. There wouldn't be enough demand to go between X and Y on an hourly basis at minimum even for a government run/subsidized bus fleet.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Tommy Tuberville continues to hold up military promotion nominations, now leaving the Marine Corps technically without a commandant.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/10/politics/marine-corps-tuberville-nominations-hold/index.html

CNN posted:

A major branch of the US military does not have a Senate confirmed leader for the first time in more than a century, as a result of a Republican senator refusing to lift his block on military nominations.

Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. David Berger relinquished command on Monday after holding a private retirement ceremony, after more than 40 years of service. His successor, Gen. Eric Smith, has not yet been confirmed to take over due to the hold on senior military nominations by Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville.

Speaking at Berger’s relinquishment of command ceremony on Monday, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin made a point to mention the hold and its impact on “stable and orderly leadership transitions,” and military families.

“We have a sacred duty to do right by those who volunteer to wear the cloth of our nation,” Austin said. “And I remain confident that all Americans can come together to agree on that basic obligation to those who keep us safe. I am also confident that the United States Senate will meet its responsibilities. And I look forward to welcoming an outstanding new commandant for our Marine Corps, and to adding many other distinguished senior leaders across the joint force.”

Berger agreed just moments later, saying “we need the Senate to do their job so we can have a sitting Commandant that’s appointed and confirmed.”

“We need that house to be occupied,” Berger said in reference to the Commandant’s house. “We ask the Senate to do that.”

Tuberville reiterated that he would not back off of his hold in a conversation with CNN’s Manu Raju on Monday, saying he doesn’t buy concerns about the impact on military readiness “whatsoever.”

“I told y’all all along if I thought this was a risk, I wouldn’t be doing this,” Tuberville said. “This is not a risk. We got people that can get the job done, and not just get it done, can do it the right way, and do it the best way for the American people.”

In his last interview as commandant, Berger argued military officers should be left out of the hold, which is being maintained as a protest of Pentagon reproductive health policies announced earlier this year.

Is there any way to tell Tuberville to gently caress off or is it just a matter of finally losing patience and rewriting Senate rules?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Willa Rogers posted:

Surely they must have deputy or acting commandants for the Marines, or Austin the power to order Berger to not resign, if the Marines can't fight for right and freedom and to keep their honor clean.

Speaking of Marines:

The assistant commander was to be promoted and will be acting as full commandant, but until he's formally promoted he can't have his own assistant commandant as he's occupying the position already.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Trump hit with four charges in relation to Jan. 6th.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-2020-election-probe-08-01-23/h_17e4b5b59886d13f81a4576764d9c76d

Three conspiracy charges and one for obstruction.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

the_steve posted:

I very vaguely remember from my cathechism days that there was a story that went like that.
Pontius has Jesus and some other dude who was convicted of a crime up in front of the crowd and says "Alright, y'all can have one pardon, who's it gonna be?"
And the crowd chooses Not Jesus, which leads to Jesus' crucifixion.

That's how I remember it. The biblical account was Pilate offering Jesus or Barabbas to the crowd for mercy, expecting them to select Jesus. The priesthood instead incited the crowd to call for Barabbas's release.

Matthew 27 posted:

15 Now it was the governor’s custom at the festival to release a prisoner chosen by the crowd. 16 At that time they had a well-known prisoner whose name was Jesus[b] Barabbas. 17 So when the crowd had gathered, Pilate asked them, “Which one do you want me to release to you: Jesus Barabbas, or Jesus who is called the Messiah?” 18 For he knew it was out of self-interest that they had handed Jesus over to him.

19 While Pilate was sitting on the judge’s seat, his wife sent him this message: “Don’t have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him.”

20 But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus executed.

Kammat fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 10, 2023

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
At work we had a maglocked door that had a movement sensor to automatically unlock it from inside. To the side of the door was a pull box to turn off the lock if it wasn't releasing normally for any reason. The box resembled your run of the mill fire alarm pull only colored blue instead of red so I can believe him thinking it was a door release.

Still a total dumbass move.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I love how this debate keeps breaking into border control.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Oh gently caress me, he's going down

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Speaking of Elon fuckery, he scrubbed the shooter's history before suspending the account.

https://twitter.com/AnonArchOps/status/1717406061324272096

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Main Paineframe posted:

Did he? Is there any more detail about this? And preferably a better source than this random insane Twitter user?

kazil posted:

of course Elon deleted it

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

FlamingLiberal posted:

Menendez has a lot of power, whereas Santos was hated by everyone from day one and was clearly not going to make it more than his one term

Menendez is also a Senator which is another can of worms for deciding when to just kick him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
It's just starting to get posted in the Philadelphia area news pages:

https://www.inquirer.com/crime/bucks-county-beheaded-father-son-levittown-arrest-20240131.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/upper-orchard-levittown-pa-murder-crime/

How the Daily Mail has more info is beyond me.