Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Twincityhacker posted:

...I'd argue that "not letting the goverment default" is a progressive position.

PoundSand puts it a lot more eloquently than I will. Continuing to sacrifice the impoverished and destitute is not a progressive position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Depending on the details that come out (And whether it actually passes), I think this might actually be a win for Biden?

Obviously, spending cuts suck and work requirements are stupid as all hell, and if we lived in a country with sane politicians that wouldn't have been the debate. But since the Republicans won the House in November, spending cuts were going to happen — they were never going to pass a budget without them, and they don't care about shutting down the government to make that happen.

(Also the "The Dems are showing their colors as actually being Republicans!" chat is just nonsense, like yeah guys they passed trillions of dollars in spending bills and expanded the child tax credit because they just love making spending cuts, come the gently caress on guys)

But anyway, I think if the deal holds (And the details don't turn out to be particularly heinous, which reportedly they don't seem to be so far), I think it'll turn out as a win for the Dems given the situation — because they're getting two years of a functional government in exchange for only marginal spending cuts and extremely tepid "reform," which in turn defeats the primary advantage Republicans have in holding the House, since they'll no longer be able to threaten to take the government hostage for the rest of Biden's first term. That in and of itself is a big win for Biden, and it's extremely funny to think that McCarthy may have negotiated himself into irrelevancy.

e: Also the Freedom Caucus hates it, which is always a positive indication.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1662678451550076928?s=20

The Dems also let the child tax credits expire. Are they even trying to get rid of the debt limit? As recently as October 2022, Biden didn't want to get rid of it. And while the Dems were in power, they didn't get rid of it. I doubt that when Dems take the House again that they will remove the debt limit.

Also, although he's not an active politician anymore, Obama still has great standing and influence with the party and he has described himself as a 80s and 90s Republican

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And it's amazing how quickly the need to have great victories means presenting failure as success and calling anyone who points it out a whiny unrealistic extremist.

It's certainly frustrating. Food prices are insanely high at the moment, but the Dems are choosing to withdraw a helping hand for those who desperately need it. Every time they need to Get Things Done, it's always the poor that suffers first, and the most, and oftentimes the only ones who suffer.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

James Garfield posted:

The deal expands work requirements for public aid because voters in 2022 elected a Republican house, the house is in charge of the budget, and Republicans want work requirements (ok not really, they want to eliminate those programs). If Democrats had wanted the work requirements, they could have done them in the last two years when they controlled both chambers of congress and the presidency.

They already made a budget, though, right? This is over raising the debt ceiling so that the country can pay for the spending it already committed to. If the Democrats didn't want the GOP to use the debt ceiling to threaten the country, as they've done many times in the last decade, they could have gotten rid of it in the last two years when they controlled both chambers of congress and the presidency.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

James Garfield posted:

Well, if Biden invented a mind control ray to use to make Kyrsten Sinema vote for it, he could certainly have done that.

Biden didn't want the debt ceiling removed. It didn't come down to Sinema or Manchin. It didn't even come up for a vote in the House. It just wallowed in a committee in the House. The Democrats had the opportunity, they had the power, and did nothing even though everyone could see it being used against them... because this isn't the first time this has happened. Or the second. Or third

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/10/21/remarks-by-president-biden-on-historic-deficit-reduction/

quote:

THE PRESIDENT: The permanent repeal of the debt ceiling? What do you mean?

Q Of the debt limit. Yeah.

THE PRESIDENT: You mean, just say we don’t have a debt limit?

Q No debt limit.

THE PRESIDENT: No.

Q Okay.

THE PRESIDENT: That would be irresponsible.

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 28, 2023

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Biden literally said that removing the debt ceiling would be irresponsible back in October. He wants to keep it even though the GOP has been using it to threaten the country in the past decade.

A bill was introduced in the House back in 2021 and it languished in a committee.

The Dems had the power to now have this crisis but they let it happen.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

I think the "in October" has a lot to do with this. It was two weeks before an election and I think you know what most Americans, who don't follow politics or policy closely, think when they hear the words "no debt limit." You can't say, two weeks before an election, "there should be no debt limit." It's really stupid, but you just can't.

Is that why he said removing the debt limit would be irresponsible? Intentionally kneecapping his agenda is responsible?

I don't believe that the Democrats have some secret progressive goals and are only hampered by optics and politicking. At some point, you just realize that this is what they want. They are fine with sacrificing the poor. And it happens so often with the Democrats.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

It’s also worth noting that defense spending isn’t on some infinite upward trajectory - it’s currently at ~3% of GDP, when in the Bush years it was almost six. People focus on the baseline number going up all the time, but proportionally to the economy, the DoD has shrunk. (Naturally, defense spending went up quite a bit during the Trump administration after falling through the Obama administration.)

People focus on the baseline number because it’s a good solid number to show and demonstrate how much it’s gone up compared to how much benefits are cut. It’s easier to grasp than the percentage of GDP is.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1662952577548386304?s=46&t=o307xxBiew2hWqLPw2eCl

Extra work requirements is what Biden wanted lmao

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Perhaps when asked about overpopulation, Kerry doesn’t have to answer the question directly and instead shift the focus to emissions and waste and whatnot instead of cutting with Malthusian concepts in regards to a continent that has been exploited by western nations for centuries

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

One reasonably common complaint in this thread is about politicians dodging questions as asked and giving an answer that's only partially related, or not at all. It's kind of hard to fault Kerry for answering a question as asked.

He could’ve challenged the notion and premise of the question, no? And again, present it as a learning moment. He could have. But he didn’t.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Blind Pineapple posted:

“Party of law and order” means and has always meant supporting the excessive use of force on minorities. It has nothing to do with any consistent vision of law or order, especially one that might result in negative consequences for someone on their side.

I agree, but I will say that they do have a consistent vision of law and order. They believe that there are those who the law protects, but does not bind; and those who the law binds, but doesn't protect. See the GOP through that lens and everything they do is pretty consistent.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Killer robot posted:

It's a regular companion piece to "Democrats keep moving right to meet Republicans" that was arguably true once when a lot of online people on the left first were thinking about politics, but just never stopped being said even when it wasn't. Like a miniature version of the right wing arguments that US private health care might be really expensive but it's better quality and shorter waits then Canada or Europe.

Obama compared himself to 80s/90s Republicans

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I am rather suspicious of the suggestion of a 'simultaneous emergence of racism and capitalism'

Why?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are voting on a law to implement a new enforceable Scotus code of ethics next week. It won't pass the House.

It subjects the SCOTUS judges to the same disclosure and gift limit rules that members of congress are subject to, allows the public to submit ethics complaints that a randomly selected panel of lower court judges would review, and impose recusal rules that would mandate recusing from cases when someone involved has provided gifts, income and other potential conflicts to a justice.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/senate-democrats-announce-vote-advance-supreme-court-ethics-bill-rcna93486

Sounds like a good start. Is there anything else? Do they plan on adding judges?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Nope, that's the only SCOTUS bill they are voting on right now.

I don't think there is a significant majority of support for adding judges. They were talking about 18-year term limits, but haven't put it into a bill yet.

If the recusal bill is the only thing, that's pretty weak. There's an appetite for more than just that.

I don't think there is a significant majority of support either, but that's kind of the issue, right? The democrats aren't really down for something like that. Term limits would be good and I hope they do it, but I'll believe when I see it.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

You realize that Roe was repealed explicitly because Republicans were able to focus on the goal of changing the court over the course of 50 years, right? Sometimes things in politics take a while. Giving up and giving in because something will take too long is self-defeating.

There are other ways besides SCOTUS to promote national access to abortion, as well. You can fight in the states, where the bans are unpopular. You can try to maintain access to abortion medication. States can create programs to help people travel for abortions. We don’t have to just sit around twiddling our thumbs waiting for justices to die.

I would be surprised if Roe is replaced by a similar court decision, because in “30 to 40 years,”* or whenever Dems have control again, the national abortion situation is going to be different in ways we can’t anticipate.

* it could easily be as little as 10; Thomas and Alito are old, if not by “rich guy” standards. I regret to inform people who find the word hilarious that this will require people “VOTE!” for Dems, however.

Didn't the Dems have the chance to actually make it legal across the country to get an abortion?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

zoux posted:

What? Through what means?

Well, there's these things called bills that get passed in Congress.

I remember Obama promising to codify Roe. And I remember the Women's Health Protection Act of 2022 last year.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

zoux posted:

Ok, once again, explain to me the legislative process that results in the codification of Roe. We'll just leave aside the obvious eventual SCOTUS ruling on the matter for now, how does that bill (which failed twice btw) become law?

Well, typically, a bill gets introduced and co-sponsored. It then goes through a committee and if it survives that, it gets brought to the floor of either/both chambers to be voted on. Again, the Dems apparently had a chance during Obama's admin to codify Roe. I remember him promising to do it. The Dems vowed to codify Roe, but failed despite holding the House and Senate.

Mellow Seas posted:

Yes. Congress can do those things. You need to have enough votes, though.

If 98% of your party favoring something does not make that thing happen the solution is not relentless self-flagellation, it is getting more drat seats.

How many seats we need?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

zoux posted:

It took the GOP 50 years to take the court. It might take 50 to get it back.
Is there anything the Dems could've done to counteract the GOP's plans?

zoux posted:

I consider these contextless arguments about "simply doing politics" to be much akin to Dinesh Dsouza talking about how Democrats were the party of slavery. Technically correct, but substantially wrong.

Did they or did they not have a chance to codify Roe?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

zoux posted:

The plan is "voting harder" and "for blue no matter who".

lmao, that's a terrible plan

The "vote blue no matter who" is especially insipid considering that anti-abortion democrats exist

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Morrow posted:

That's not how it works and you know it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the cloture thing just a senate rule? It's not enshrined in the Constitution.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It’s part right. On Election Day the best, or sometimes least bad, thing you can do is blue no matter who (unless RFK is the candidate in which case I think the best thing is to hide in a hole.) The actual work of moving a party happens way before that, during primaries where we get actual leftist people on the ballot and at the very local level where we get actual leftist people’s careers started.

And yes it’s a ton of work and yes it takes a long time.

If you want to vote for someone who is anti-abortion, or anti-trans, or any other regressive democrat, go right ahead. I won't.

edit: I want to add that, to me, it seems like the "vote harder" and "vote blue no matter who" plans have been in place for a long, long time now and I'm not happy with the results. Additionally, these plans don't take into account how exhausting it is for people, especially when their lives are on the line.

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 13, 2023

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

zoux posted:

Ok what's the other plan to quickly get everything we want forever that is easy and not exhausting? Because I agree, we should do that.

I don't believe I mentioned the speed. I concede that a lot of things will be exhausting, but currently, the vote harder movement is exhausting with little results. Again, the Dems had a chance to codify Roe and they did not. They had a chance to do a lot of good things, but didn't. Anyway, stop voting blue no matter who. It just puts lovely people in power and gives them more influence to entrench themselves and make it difficult to get rid of them. You reward their bad behavior with power by voting blue no matter who.

quote:

I wouldn't vote for a transphobe but I don't think that's likely to happen in the Democratic party, which is probably the most LGBT friendly major party anywhere in the world.

Didn't we just have a Democrat vote for a transphobic bill in Texas? I know you wouldn't personally vote for such a person, but if she were the only democratic choice, "vote blue no matter who" says that you should vote for the transphobe.

Mellow Seas posted:

This is not a choice I have ever been faced with, personally, nor have most Democratic voters. Because almost all Democrats voters support those things, and so their candidates do, and those who don’t are a rounding error.
When I hear "vote blue no matter who", I'm taking it literally. I'm not hearing "it's not a choice most have to deal with". I'm hearing "even if it's a horrible, piece of poo poo Democrat that are literally against your values, vote for them". Like should someone who is pro-abortion vote for someone like Henry Cuellar?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

zoux posted:

Also my calculus on national politics is much different from that on state politics, where we're in such a worse position here that it doesn't really matter what strategy we use. But like I don't care if a politician is personally against abortion if he or she votes for abortion rights. Bigotry is a different matter.
Didn't Henry Cuellar vote against abortion rights?

Mellow Seas posted:

As an aside it is a fun exercise to talk about politics in a context where the most basic ideas like “you are more likely to accomplish things the more you win elections” are constantly challenged
I think that's a misunderstanding of a lot of the conflict here. People aren't challenging the "you are more likely to accomplish things the more you win elections" as a concept. They are challenging "you are more likely to accomplish things the more Democrats win elections". Big difference.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

No it’s almost exactly the same, because 90% of the argument about whether Dems can change things are not are based on them not doing something that they couldn’t because they didn’t win elections…

That's because you're assuming that a Democratic politician is automatically good and wants the things we want. We had plenty of Dems at the beginning of Obama's admin to codify Roe. They held the House and Senate in 2020 and couldn't even get election reform passed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Arab Americans are rethinking about their vote for pro-Israel Democrats

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-biden-revolt-arabs-progressives_n_6536f382e4b011a9cf7abc38

quote:

United in a desire to stop mounting bloodshed, a group of about 30 Arab American leaders and activists convened at the Hanini Outreach and Community Center in Dearborn, Michigan, on Oct. 16 to discuss how to respond to the Israeli bombardment of Gaza.

Those Arab American activists who attended the meeting shared their outrage at what they see as President Joe Biden’s lopsidedly pro-Israel approach to the current war between Israel and Hamas, the Islamist group that governs the Gaza Strip. They want Biden to pressure Israel for a cease-fire and end what they see as Israel’s reckless disregard for Palestinian civilians, as well as recognize that Palestinian violence toward Israel springs from legitimate grievances. They all agreed that they would not vote for Biden under virtually any circumstances and would encourage their fellow Arab Americans to do the same.

“You take my vote, you take my money and then you spit on me?” one of the attendees, Osama Siblani, publisher of The Arab American News, told HuffPost. “They are racist, and they are dealing with our people like trash. And we are going to teach them a lesson come November. We’re not going to vote for them.”

Hussein Dabajeh, a senior aide to Wayne County Commissioner Sam Baydoun and head of his own political consulting firm, is leading the formation of a political action committee that will serve as the central body pushing for a boycott of Democratic candidates who fail to speak out against Israeli bombardment and for Palestinian rights. Dabajeh, who was at the Oct. 16 meeting, told HuffPost that donors have been lining up to bankroll the effort.

The prospect of swing-state Michigan’s sizable Arab and Muslim population sitting out the 2024 election is the most visible domestic political challenge facing Biden following his embrace of Israel in the wake of a massacre of 1,400 Israelis in an unprecedented Hamas attack on Oct. 7. But it’s just one of many facing the president and his campaign as they work to navigate the politics of the issue, which have been altered both by the increasing liberalism of young voters and the simple fact that the Arab and Muslim populations in the United States continue to grow.

The democrats are making a huge misstep in their full support of Israel’s apartheid regime. Thousands of people have been protesting for a free Palestine or a ceasefire, but the democrats have either ignored them or maligned them like Chuck Schumer when he said that those asking for a ceasefire support Hamas or Ritchie Torres attacking people who criticize Israel. They are pushing away the people who would most likely vote for them

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

mutata posted:

Yeah, I have little to no patience for dumbasses who don't vote for the obviously less evil candidates under whom various people would have a tangibly higher quality of life (like literally any group other than white men). Take that hand wringing and write a blogpost about it and go vote for people who want to kill and ruin fewer people. I have no time for your boring rear end philosophizing.

Should a person who is against the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians vote for those who enable the ethnic cleansing and genocide of Palestinians? Should someone who is pro-choice vote for a Dem who is anti-choice? Or a transphobe?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

burnishedfume posted:

Good points, also remember to not join any socialist organizations or unions or leave your house ever because you might meet a transphobe or an anti-choicer or a genocide apologist.

Big difference between meeting someone and voting for them

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Thanqol posted:

Do you know how politics changes? You know, on a deep, structural level? You win multiple elections in a row.

Regan won. He won by a lot, and he was succeeded by another republican. The left as a whole looked at that situation and said 'the voters seem to like Regan's policies', and they didn't want to keep losing elections, so they broadly adopted a bunch of Regan's policies and thus came Clinton. Since then it's gone back and forth between left and right like a metronome and change has never had a chance to dig in. People still aren't running to the left of Regan because the left hasn't won federally multiple times in a row. If you have 20 years of uninterrupted democratic control of the government then politics will be unrecognizable and the Right will have abandoned the majority of its current policies just to stay relevant.

Biden was never going to be elected and Pass Socialism. But if Clinton beat Trump in 2016 then the Romney wing of the Republicans would be ascendant and they'd be focused on budget deficits and economic policy rather than the domionist stuff they are in now, and the democratic party would need to move further to the left to compete. And on and on it goes. But right now both left and right are pro-Israel because the contest is too tight for the left to explore its own opinions in detail and that's not a situation that's helped by voter apathy.

I simply do not have confidence that the Democrats, as a whole, can accomplish much. They had opportunities to codify Roe v Wade, but did not. They had an opportunity to protect our voting rights and failed to do so. They had many opportunities to actually make things better, but didn't. Some of these Democrats are flat out against the goals that I want and I don't want to give them the power to destroy the things that I want to see happen.

XboxPants posted:

If both options were transphobes, but one of them was a radical Zionist who wanted Palestine completely wiped out, and the other was pushing for a ceasefire leading to an eventual two state solution, then you bet I'd vote for the pro-Palestinian transphobe over the ethnic cleansing transphobe. If I'm going down anyway I'm gonna save as many people as I can on the way down.
I mean no offense by this, but I don't see it as a way of saving as many people as one can. I see it as letting the usual marginalized communities suffer so that the rest of us can be comfortable. lt's always be the same ones who have to be sacrificed: the homeless, the poor, the refugees at out southern border, etc. They are always the first ones to get thrown under the bus and I'm tired of it.

Main Paineframe posted:

We need to get out there and start winning people over
This is the main point here: what are the Democrats doing to win people over?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Time to direct people to my effortpost on reactionary rhetorics again. The argument that specific narrower changes or shifts are insufficient and therefore should not be considered, like the argument that the push for specific changes are futile, are both part of the reactionary playbook used to sabotage good faith discussion. There's a reason Republican talking points targeting Democrats and leftists reliably focus on equivocation between the parties, and setting ever-shifting standards for what counts as "really mattering".

A few days ago, McConnell came out and said that he backs Biden on Israel funding. Obama once compared himself to 90s republicans Lucan’s. Schumer suggested going after Republican votes at the expense of Democratic votes. The equivocation is coming from inside the house.

And like Gumball, I would very much love to vote for a democrat who doesn’t support genocide here or abroad, who supports free healthcare and all of the other good poo poo we want. I have and will still vote for candidates that support my values, but I won’t vote for those who won’t. Im not going to vote for a leopard who is going to eat my face

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

So go out there and convince other people to support those things you want.
I already do. I’ve phone banked and knocked on doors.

Main Paineframe posted:

Until your personal wishlist of political essentials is overwhelmingly popular and high on the wishlists of much of the populace, you are going to have to settle for not getting everything you want.
I already settle for not getting everything I want. I wanted Bernie to win back in 2020 and he didn’t align entirely with my values. However, I still voted for him because he appeared to be earnest in his attempts at making change and I believed that he could be pushed to go even further. I’ve voted for other Dems who didn’t fully align with my values but did so because of the same reasons. There’s a misbelief that what leftists want is perfection from candidates when that is not the case. At least for me, I want someone good or trying to do better. Unfortunately, I don’t see many in the Dems that are like that currently.

Main Paineframe posted:

Which is your decision to make, but you don't get to blast people for prioritizing abortion and gay rights over Palestine while you're prioritizing Palestine over their rights.

I don’t believe I blasted others for prioritizing abortion and gay rights. If I did, I apologize because that’s not my intention. All I can do is state why I am making the decision that I am. I’m not going to vote for someone who is pro-Israel, a transphobe, anti-choice and other issues.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Wait has Biden openly been anti-choice/transphobic? I always figured that he was at worst, someone who probably had a mixed record on those topics in the past that, with becoming president, hasn't done anything to impede most of the rest of the party being pro-choice/pro-trans.

As far as I know, he isn’t either anti-choice or a transphobe, but right now he is loving supporting Israel as they genocide Palestinians. Probably should’ve used an “or” there

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Anyone else feels grossed out that oppressed groups get trotted out and presented as to why another group should continue to be oppressed?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

predicto posted:

Somehow the same people seem to find that same breaking point every single election. The key issues change, the candidates change, the opposition candidates change, but the result is always the same - they always have a reason not to vote.

It's almost as though some of them subconsciously decided that they are too pure to ever vote for a shitlib, and don't care if that means American women lose their reproductive rights, or education and social services get slashed, or gays become second class citizens. None of that is important enough to stop navel gazing and accusing everyone else of being sellouts.

I'm genuinely not speaking of any poster in particular. But I've seen this act play out with every election since 2016.

There are Democrats that are anti-choice, transphobes, and are alright with education and social services being cut. The Dems have had chances to pass abortion rights for decades but failed to do so. Last year, they had control of the White House, the House, and the senate, and they failed to pass a law codifying Roe.

The GOP has been making it harder to vote in their states and, nationally, the Dems failed to pass a voting rights law that could alleviate that pressure. It’s hard to convince people to vote for the Democrats when the Democrats failed to make it easier to get them elected.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Mustang posted:

How does not voting and the GOP winning more elections improve things in any meaningful way? One side is very clearly better than the other, despite their flaws.

If more Democrats were elected and we didn't have to rely on the votes of people like Manchin and Sinema they might actually one day pass those types of laws.

They're definitely not going to happen if people decide to stop voting because their perfect candidate isn't running. Not voting makes zero sense.

The fact is the Democrats are more likely to pass those laws in the future than the pipe dream of some leftist revolution possibly happening in the United States.

I didn’t mention anything about a leftist revolution.

It’s hard to convince people to vote for more democrats after they’ve shown that when they’re in control, they won’t do much.

No one is waiting for a “perfect” candidate. I simply have a different standard for who I’d vote for compared to you. If you want to call it perfect, go ahead. I just call it the bare minimum. Right now, we have a president who is fully behind the genocide of Palestinians right now and I don’t want to vote for someone like that.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Serious question that I've asked tons of people and never gotten a straight answer to:

Why is not voting always equated with voting for Republicans? Why isn't it the other way around or neutral?

Are you also saying that if I was hypothetically a registered Republican and chose not to vote, that I'm by default voting for Democrats?

This has never made any sense to me and it always just feels like some kind of guilting/shaming

It doesn’t make sense and relies on the assumption that a person who doesn’t vote or vote third party would have voted for the Democrats.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Skex posted:

Even regarding Israel and Palestinian the simple fact that Biden has made multiple speeches urging restraint on the part of Israel and reporting indicates that he is still applying pressure to encourage restraint is a loving sea change in the American posture towards Israel.
He’s encouraging restraint while not backing it up with consequences for Israel and while denying that there’s a genocide happening. I don’t see it as a sea change in American posture. He’s still supporting Israel with rhetoric and money. He’s not even calling for a ceasefire.

Skex posted:

Finally if voting didn't matter why do the Fash spend so much time, money and effort to discourage and stop people from doing it?

Ultimately it comes down to this, if voting was so ineffective why do Fash spend so much time, money and effort trying to stop people from doing it?
I think it’s important. I just don’t vote for the democrats.m, who failed to pass the voting rights act when they came into power.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

That's pretty silly, since the only way to pass the For The People Act (or any other voting rights enhancement you care to name) is for there to be more Democrats in legislatures.
That’s what people and the Democrats said in 2020. Vote for us and we’ll pass the voting rights law. They got into power and failed to do so. But now people must vote for more democrats. How many more Democrats? How many Democrats do we need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Skex posted:

From a pure pro democracy standpoint I'd rather vote 3rd party than not vote at all. It's a valuable data point to know what people support even if they lose.

But from a wanting to stop fascism standpoint I consider them collaborators, because if all it takes for evil to win is for good people to nothing voting 3rd party or not voting are effectively doing nothing.

The Dems are capable of stopping fascism. Right now, we have Biden siding fully with a fascist regime in Israel. Many democrats want to give the police more money. We’ve seen Pelosi campaign for an anti-choice democrat over a progressive. Eric Adams has his police robot and is now wanting to give immigrants a one way ticket out of NYC. How many liberal cities have swept up homeless camps? I’m sorry but they aren’t going to stop fascism.

B B posted:

The answer is enough to overcome the filibuster, but even then it's not at all clear that Democrats will actually go through with the things they say that they intend to do.

As far as I know, they could do away with the filibuster rule with a simple majority vote. When faced with the need to get poo poo done, they failed to even do that.

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 28, 2023