Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

They had to do an online poll because who the gently caress ( besides literal crazies like me ) will answer a phonecall from an unknown number, especially since the phone is likely to describe it as "scam likely."

I do because in the past few months it's all been get out the vote calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Maybe several of the jury or the lawyers are sick. IDK, it doesn't seem that suspicious.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also the dogbrained logic of "Big Building = Big justice"

Not really? It's more like fancy building = more likely that they at least *pretend* to value justice. If it's a wreck those in power absolutely do not care.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

If you are interested in the severe weather thread, that one is over here :)

Thanks for the pro-click! Though I am bringing something over from that thead as it also belongs here. Unfortunately.

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1641963260164407298?t=vOcz7posplk1c_IBoUkOvw&s=19

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Took down a bust of Winston Churchill in the White House and replaced it with a bust of Caesar Chavez and a framed copy of a Samuel Beckett poem.

While all of that is good stuff and some of it very important stuff ( the things relating to the Good Friday Agreement especially ) I want specically point out this small thing as cool.

As for the King's cornation: the US did fight a war that told the British goverment and especially the monarchy to gently caress off forever. Like, there was a lot of garbage reasoning and bad stuff going on there, but saying no to the divine right of kings is one of the things they did do correctly.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 1, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

There's a measure on the ballot statewide in WI that asks if the state consitutuon should be amended to put a non-partisan map drawing in place, but we've not determined in my household if it's suppsed to be binding or just a sugestion to the legistalutre. It's winning overwhelming tho.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Somehow don't think the the advice "you should severely limit or not drink at all' is going to be as followed very closely by the vast majortiy of people who currently drink.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Oh yay, Biden is pretended to take a "nuanced' approach and it's just the same poo poo wrapped up in a blue bow.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

DADT was an improvement.

I swear there is no knowledge of queer history. Some things were just straight up reactionary dogshit like DOMA, but DADT was better than it was before because "vibes" was absolutely a reason to fire people from the military before hand. DADT meant you couldn't investigate people without evidence. People rag on celebrity photo ops with AIDS patients, but that absolutely did reduce HIV/AIDS stigma and reduce disinformation that you could catch HIV/AIDS from just touching someone with the disease.

Just because it's not 100% good, doesn't mean it didn't improve people's lives, sometimes substantially.

EDIT: I am kinda cheered by the fact that these new guidelines do add a gently caress ton of hoops you have to jump though to the point it's almost impossible instead of just being able to do blanket bans on trans people in sports from the get-go. Yes, I did say the absolute oppisate thing a few posts ago but being informed you were wrong is good.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 7, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Is it "sex bad" or is it "I personally am not comfortable with the level of sexual talk going on in these spaces"? I would personally recommend being very suspicious of those kinds of vague anecdotal reports, because comfort and consent are very important, and I have definitely encountered people who used sex-positivity as an excuse to ignore other people's boundaries and comfort levels in a social space.

And as far as I know, "tenderqueer" is mostly used to describe people in queer communities who use social justice language to disguise their own toxic or manipulative behavior. For example, someone who openly talks about their sexual encounters or what makes them horny in great detail, without regard for the social circumstances, and then responds to any pushback by accusing the other person of not being sex-positive.

More of the "sex bad" but there's a bunch of layers to it beyond that with legitimate problems ( there are very few queer spaces that aren't bars ) and some nonsense ( seeing a leather daddy handing out fliers counts as kinky sex )

Oxyclean posted:

I'm speaking somewhat loosely, and using "sex bad" as a bit of a shorthand, but I agree, there is nuance here that I maybe am not giving credit to.

Not gonna disagree that people are not always respectful of comfort and consent - and don't mean to dismiss bad actors, but I've definitely see a degree of like, "you're making us look bad" sorts of takes, sometimes aimed at people who embrace kink or sexuality, but are not intruding on other spaces. (And to the point, I've known people who have dealt with people intruding on mature spaces to declare their discomfort)

But my core point is this sort of thing is absolutely not new - ideas of there being a wrong way to be gay/trans/queer/etc, or this idea of "we need to look good so we'll be accepted," strike me as the kinds of thing reactionaries can use to sow divisions among LGBTQ+ folk.

Yeah, this.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 10, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The split seems like "apathy towards voter needs to the point of neglect" vs "literally wants you dead if you don't fit their model citizen."

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

Go figure, Dems in downtown Chicago while Republicans post up in a Chicago suburb.

Milwaukee isn't a Chicago suburb though? It's a city on it's own right, and while there's sprawl between them it's over an hour and a half between them.

It's probably more an effort of Republicans to try to get national Wisconsin voters, as they have a small foothold in the Milwaukee suburbs.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's just chlorine

And even then, they're *supposed* to remove most of the chlorine. Wastewater, when properly treated, is no different from non-polluted river water. Also is a good source of potassium for fertilizer!

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

It is hard to square, and maybe (probably) he's full of poo poo, but human memory is a weird thing. I'm sure there's plenty of things I said and did enthusiastically and repeatedly 30 years ago that I now have no recollection of. There's also things people want to forget.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why "not a great memory for things 30 years ago I'm ashamed/pretending to be ashamed of" is a controversial take.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The FBI says they don't have relationship data for about half of all murders (47% are "unknown") because it isn't normally a checkbox in the reporting that people keep records of. But, they say that only about 11% of murders take place by total strangers.

Some other sources say between 15% and 25%.

Being a "wife or romantic partner" to the murderer is the #1 far and away most likely murder scenario.

According to the FBI, if you aren't in a relationship with/living with a man and aren't involved in the illegal drug trade or living in an area where the illegal drug trade has significant activity, then you will basically never be murdered in America.

"Living or in a relationship with a man" is such a massive group, even then it's close to zero. ( Though I am now deeply curious about the amount of wlw murdering their partners. )

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

KillHour posted:

We don't even need to leave the plain language of the proposed bill to realize this is stupid as poo poo. Should someone get the death penalty for kicking a 10 year old in the nuts?

Sure, they should absolutely be arrested for battery because holy poo poo what is wrong with that person, but the death penalty?

Does any crime except first degree murder or treason carry the death penalty anywhere in the US right now?

The death penalty is abhorrent, full stop. I worry that starting from the point of the most egregiously terrible things this bill could do immediately cedes ground on all the other things that are still bad.

Felony murder is the biggest one - you partcipated in a felony but you were not the one who did the actual murdering. Example would be particpating in a bank robbery, and one of your co-conspiritors killed someone, you would be charged with felony murder.

Rape of a child, or second conviction of rape, but no one has actually been executed for those laws.

Also just a smattering of different laws in different states: treason, drug trafficking, airline hijacking, placing a bomb near a bus terminal, agravated kidnapping, and aggravated assault by "incarcerated, persistant felons, or murderers." Several states have laws on the books for these and other crimes but have either absoutely abolished the death penelty ( New Mexico ) or removed some of them ( treason no longer carries the death penelty in Illinois, for instance. )

There are also federal crimes, but no one is currently on death row for any of them ( espinoge, treason, trafficking in large quanyies of drugs, and either killing or conspiring to kill officers, jurours, or witnesses of "continual criminal enterprises" )

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

On top of it being super hosed up that they shot him through the door, then shot him again, the fact that the victem only got help after the fourth place he went to made him lie down on the ground with his hands up.

Like, it's possible that he was just super unlucky and no one was home in the first three homes he tried, but... probabaly not.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

SpeedFreek posted:

If there was a more functional rail system there might not need to be so much trucking.

Depends on what kind of trucking: Long Haul? Yeah, there could probably be some reduction. There would need to be longer leadtimes for just about everything produced in the US though because you would need to add in getting stuff to the railyard, loading the train, unloading the train, and then to it's destination instead of shoving everything onto a truck and it immedietly going to the destination.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

kronix posted:

This isn't me purposely spreading misinformation, of course a lot of issues unrelated to the drivetrain because most EVs are packed with tech. My only point is that yes, in theory EVs should be more reliable. We have a nearly century of data for diesel trucks and we don't have data for battery electric trucks in the wild. EV motors don't last forever and will likely need to be replaced many times over the life of a truck, same with batteries. You can't do total cost of ownership without that data.

I didn't mean it's only for the uneducated, just that you don't need any special education to become a truck driver. It's a tough career but it's a job that you can actually support a family with maybe and save for retirement while not completely destroying your body. One of my dad's drivers was a refugee from central America who barely spoke english when he arrived went on to become an owner operator and that truck helped put his kid through college and eventually medical school.

Going after truck drivers is literally the opposite of what the Democratic party should be doing.

It would be really nice if there wasn't a blue collar job that *didn't* destroy your body. Just standing on concrete all day fucks up your knees even with rubber mats. Worst so far I've gotten is some fly away strands of my hair stuck in a running glue roller, though the standing all day on concrete is more of a culmitive thing.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

...wasn't there just a post in here that "national" vaccine spending is ending, but if local and state goverments still want vaccine money they'll continue getting it in the federal goverment?

And, yeah, the pandemic is "over" in the fact it's never going away and we're just going to have to figure out a way to maximize harm reduction because now COVID-19 has multiple animal resivors and mutates too fast for something like a polio eradication plan - which also infects gorillas, interestingly enough - to work.

EDIT: Not that polio eradication is going great in the final few areas that have it due to a host of factors, some fake like "this is a secret plot to steralize you!" like the anti-vaxx crowd likes to say and some not fake like "this is being used by a cover for American spies to do stuff in the area."

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 20, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

pork never goes bad posted:

Can anyone recommend a resource, organization, or thread that can help me educate myself on trans issues and rights?

Today I am supportive of trans rights and try to never be deliberately transphobic after my relatively more bigoted youth, but I would say that, to the extent that there is one, I am inadequately informed about the consensus positions in the trans community about these hot button issues beyond the basics, and I am definitely not sufficiently educated on the reasons for these positions and the state of the research literature. That is to say, I understand that trans people should be able to compete in sports as their gender and fully support this, for example, but I do not have effective and evidence based rejoinders when scared old liberals in my neighborhood express transphobic concerns about sports, for example. Similarly, there's a lot of worry in the zeitgeist about possible negative consequences of gender affirming care for minors, particularly wrt surgical interventions, but other than a few statistics I'm not adequately educated on the full realities here.

Some things I do know, or at least believe to be true (I am very much open to correction if I am wrong about anything in this post, of course), are: that breast augmentations for minors are both far more common and have far higher regret rates than any surgeries for trans youth; that regret rates for gender affirming care are lower than almost any other type of medical care; that the primary reason that detransitioners do actually detransition is social opprobrium and bigotry; that suicide risk is markedly high in trans youth and while the evidence is not absolutely settled yet it all points to the conclusion that gender affirming care reduces suicide risk, and that therefore the balance of harm calculus is far more in favor of gender affirming care than any alternative approach; that almost all of these hot button issues are basically vanishingly rare and inconsequential compared to issues that materially impact the lives of children in extraordinarily negative ways like gun violence or poverty, and the right's use of trans issues is a heady mix of their fundamental hatred of the other and their utility as a cudgel to divide liberal and left leaning voters rather than as anything approaching good faith effort to protect children from harm (which is actually somewhat of a priority for these left leaning elderly voters in my neighborhood, just behind keeping their property values high).

The Human Rights Campaign has good surface level content and FAQs and works well for me to send to my neighbors - I guess I'm personally looking to go one step deeper and, ideally, get more citations.

Unfortunatly how I learned about trans stuff is... knowing trans people, realizing I was trans myself, and reading books that mostly describe trans-ness from inside the community. I got all of those books from Amazon, but just searching "transgender" on there gets a very hit or miss between good poo poo ( Transgender History, second edition by Susan Stryker ) and absolute garbage ( so much "gender critical" bigtory! ) I did see a book called "Transgender 101: A Simple Guide to a Complex Issue" by Nicholas Teich who is trans and looks like not Werid about different kinds of trans people.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

don longjohns posted:

Maybe I am naive, but I don't understand (beyond the obvious sexism/misogyny) why we would separate men's and women's sports. Could we have weight-based leagues?

Weight-based leagues make sense in some sports ( wrestling, for instance ) and other tradition would just take care of it ( men and women have no gymnastic events in common ). Then there's stuff like running, which has no non-miserable way to try to divide "men" and "women" without being bigoted, but in general people in the "men" class ran the distance much faster the people in the "women" class - the difference between the winner of the elite men's division of the Boston Marathon last weekend was 16 minutes faster than the elite woman's division. This year there was "non-binary" division for the first time though I can't really compare it to the above times as there was no "elite" class of the "non-binary" division.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Every dispensary has an ATM because you can't pay with cards.

I have been to a dispencery where you can pay with cards - but it needs to be rounded to the nearest dollar so it *looks* like it you used their ATM.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Ferengi from Star Trek have a ton of baggage from TNG, but the Jewish production staff of DS9 and Jewish actor who played Quark are all on record of how they tried to rehab the species. It is debateable on how well they sucedded.

As to actual news and not Star Trek posting: man, I kinda hope Thomas slips in the bath at this point.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Dubar posted:

What is the functional purpose of having children undress in a communal space anyway? It seems like the stripping of privacy and imposed shame are the point. That experience was probably the first clear memory I can have of anxiety, and that is without any added baggage from dysphoria

While just hanging around *naked* was never a thing in the US, historically it was less of a big deal to change clothes or bath in single gender group settings because privacy was at a priemum and it continued because of Tradition when privacy was easier and cheaper to have.

Also, since you never really had privacy at home much either due to living in a single room or very, very few rooms there wasn't as big of a shock to having no privacy in group settings either.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

zoux posted:

I also think that we're noticing it because we're in the 99th percentile of media literacy in this country. For most people, especially Fox News people, it will be like when Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett died on the same day: no one noticed the latter.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. Death that was caused by a nexus of too much money and drug addiction that had semi-recently had his reputation tanked by a pedophile scandal vs dying after a prolonged public battle with cancer.

The first was a shock and spectacle, and the latter less so.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

So... it's another case of people saying "Biden is doing a shitlib thing!!!" when it's actually just the administration trying to find the best way to go forward because the courts aren't going to rule in their favor and Congress isn't going to do anything helpful?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

It was Biden's admin's choice to cancel debt via covid emergency and it was Biden's admin's choice to end the covid emergency

Because we're supposed to be in emergency footing forever - covid has multiple animal reserves and it mutates too quickly for an eradication program like polio ( which also has animal reserves ) to work. It's not going away, and it was doubtful that even if there was perfect circumstances it could have been stopped either.

As to using the emergency to cancel debt, they found a legal justifcation and did what they could as quickly as the could. Which people here keep bitching about the goverment not doing, as a messy solution being better than no solution. And it didn't work out this time.

EDIT: That's not an excuse to not try to do things that way, but sometimes it's just not going to work long term.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 25, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I'm probably one of the few people rooting for Disney, because even extremely tepid pushback against facist genocide is still pushback against facist genocide.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Byzantine posted:

And also we must cheer for Joe Manchin and the Disney Corporation as the bulwarks protecting us from fascism.

You don't have to loving cheer for them, but Disney is doing a more for people in Flordia than endless wanking about doing the right thing for the right reasons.

Like, Disney donated 80 acres of their Flordia property to an outside group to build low-income housing. They did it for PR reasons, but that's 1400 more units of housing than there would be otherwise. And it's not going to be a company town, before people start talking about Mouse Script.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Young Freud posted:

There's a dozen ways to get rid of a Supreme Court Justice but half of them are illegal (and will not be discussed) and the other half would require a President with more backbone to pursue them because they'd be pushing it.

Like, if Thomas committed a severe crime like murdering his wife or began threatening other Justices, he'd still would need to be arrested regardless of an impeachment hearing? Congresspeople have been arrested and convicted of crimes and impeached after the fact before, why not a Supreme Court Justice?

Thomas would have to be arrested and impeached as they are different mechanisims thay target different things.

And if Thomas, or any other supreme court justice, did commit murder they probably *would* be arrested and impeached. But Thomas hasn't commited murder, just semi-ofuscated bribery.

EDIT: There's even been an impeachment of a justice! It was only the once, they were aquitted, and it happenes in 1805 tho. There was a more recent case in 1969 but the justice resigned first.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

It's illegal to arrest a judge due to rulings they made in court, or something very similar to that effect.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I'm pretty sure the argument is less "don't engage in political violence ever" but instead "don't talk about doing specific political violence on a loving public server."

EDIT:

Not sure what you are referencing here. There is no situation where a ruling would be in and of itself an arrestable offense.

Maybe you mean that judges can't be held in contempt in their own courtrooms?

I looked it up again, and judges cannot be sued for rulings that are within their juridiction no matter how loathsome that ruling is. The Supreme Court case ruling was over a lower court judge ordering a 15 year old girl sterlized without her or her mother's knowlege or consent. ( Go in for appendectomy, come out sterlized. )

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 4, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Doctor Yiff posted:

SC is like if AO3 did philosophy and didn't have standards.

Incorrect. The people on AO3 know that what they doing is inherently fake as opposed to these dweebs. And fairly infamously the site's only standard is "will not host something against US law."

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

The lawsuit is actually from Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. If you've guessed that's a front organization from the name, you're right-they're an animal liberation group, part of the PETA constellation, though less honest. As with a lot of the activity in this area over the last few years, it's likely the VC behind the plant-based products industry is backing it since they know they're not getting the product labeling rules they wanted from FDA.

Well. That's. Not a great reason. But accidentaly getting good things is better than not getting good things at all.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Plenty of cash crop territory control too, especially in Central Asia.

I'm not sure it was exactly "cash crops" but major contributors to the Goloshchyokin Genocide / Asharshylyk of the Kazakhs and the Holdomer in Ukranine was the destruction of the small farms in favor of collectization and using the agricultural workers in factories instead, creating of surplus of goods and exporting of the food that was grown in those regions to the imperial core in Russia.

China's famine was at least an accident of not understanding how ecological systems work so there were massive crop failures.

The famine in Ireland didn't quite make it to genocide ( though Irish understanding of their history is split, most historians fall on the side of "not genocide" as there *was* crop failures instead of it being wholely manufactued ) but it certianly was excerbated by the poltical will not giving a single gently caress about the Irish.

The genocide of Indignious communites in North America were accerbated by forcing populations to live on marginal lands and using destrutive farming techniques that would further deplete those lands.

...My point is commuinst countries and capitalst contries do similar things in the name of exploiting the populace, especially those members of the populace that don't meet certian ethnic standards of "real people." Saying that captialism is *quniuely evil* compared to other systems is hogwash. I mean, beginings of colonalism was still under *merchanilsim*.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

"Not making fun of someone for their apperance" isn't decorum-poisoning for liberals.

It's making sure your *friends* don't hear you call someone a fat blob, and your fat friend's monkey brain hear that you think that *they* are gross.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/05/florida-gov-ron-desantis-signs-bill-legalizing-anti-lgbtq-medical-discrimination/

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/politics/2023/05/11/florida-gov-ron-desantis-signs-sb-1580-medical-conscious-bill/70205359007/

Flordia has made it legal for medical professionals to refuse to give treatment to someone, even if that treatment is emergency medical stablizing treatment on basis of concuise or moral reasons.

The law specfically disallows discrimination on race, color, religion, sex, or national orign.

Of course, you could just make up some bullshit reason for not treating someone for even the protected reasons too.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I'm assuming one of the reasons that they are propping her up is that her presence is needed for judiciary appointments. Once they go on recess next she might *finally* retire and there be enough time to appoint someone and get staff to Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The only school district I went to that had later start times for middle and high school didn't have enough buses to bus both the elementary and middle school ( and the high school losers who couldn't get a ride any other way like me ) at once. So the elementary school students were picked up first, and then the middle school / high school students later in the morning.

EDIT:

PhazonLink posted:

education and grown up work days imo could do more to respect different chrono types. some people are just night owls, some people are early birds.

sucks that we're stuck in these ridge blocks of hours and months/season when it comes to learning and teaching.

Schools no, but grown up work days do have shift work. I've done all three eight hour shifts, and currently doing a "weekend" shift were I work 12 hours Friday/Saturday/Sunday and can work an additional 8 hours during the week in either one block or one or two 4 hour blocks. As most fun events are either scheduled at night OR during the weekend, there is still a clear "best shift" and that's the daily day shift tho.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 23, 2023