Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

What I do worry about with Texas (or any other narrowly red state) is them following the Florida model - not only did DeSantis and his legislature disenfranchise tons of people, they also used policy to make their state vastly more appealing to conservatives and less so to minorities and liberals, and trumpeted their “successes” loudly across the country. In the process they’ve shifted the electorate of their state firmly in their favor.

This already accurately describes Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Ither posted:

Why would it be wrong?

Unjustified whim

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Why would he expect his voters to be more progressive on rapists in the Executive than Democrats?

He knows it's a desired feature, not a bug.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Two wrongs don’t make a right. It’s good to keep the higher ground instead of bringing yourself down to their level

It is never wrong to make fun of a Republican provided that you don't accidentally insult non-Republicans at the same time.

Higher ground doesn't exist.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gyges posted:

It's "don't look manly according to their own stated definition of manly, which is what they're currently ranting about", not "doesn't look manly, which is a bad thing in and of itself".

That's the gateway mocking that has lead us to our current situation. Personally I'm more interested in the forms of government that have survived without men.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/g28565280/matriarchal-societies-list/

The Mosou might be the closest.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For real, 98% of the people who would go ôté for Biden are going regardless for “not republican.” The independent voter who sees “economy bad why Biden pull lever” is dead

My sympathies for Ken Bone's family...

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'd still consider it an outlier for no other reason than when was the last time the US elected a President who had no prior political experience - even state or local?

Grant?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

No, he did not literally, explicitly say that they were backed into a corner, and if that's what you're expecting me to provide for you then I'm sorry. But using rhetoric such as "not everyone gets what they want" or "that's the responsibility of governance" shows that the message they want to convey is that they had no choice but to accept this terrible compromise. I'd appreciate if you could make a reasonable attempt to understand what I'm trying to say instead of nitpicking at my words.

You're giving Biden too much credit. He is not using 'backed into a corner' framing... he's using 'we did our jobs, deal with it' framing.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Robviously posted:

This is not a refutation. Trump should have airtime as the leading candidate. It is probably impossible to do so in an ethical way given his insistence on being able to spout half-truths and worse at will. Both these sentiments can be true.

Trump shouldn't be given airtime, period. That he is going to be the Republican presidential candidate doesn't validate him, it just further proves the Republican party should be banned from running candidates.

The fact that that won't happen advocates strongly for the dissolution of the country.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a paradox of tolerance issue; there's no ethical way to platform fascists. Fortunately since all our media conglomerates are private there's no 1st amendment issue in it.

The republicans should be allowed to run candidates; we let all sorts of horrible people declare candidacy. Nobody should vote for them though!

The party shouldn't exist, let alone be on ballots.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't know how you outlaw specific political parties in an ethical way. Not saying it isn't possible just that I don't know how you'd go about it.

Much if not all the current leadership of the Republican party should be in jail though, which may be the answer. If everyone who tried to overthrow the government were in jail right now we'd have a lot fewer Republican incumbents.

I can't imagine a way, at least in this country. It shouldn't exist... but it does and we're stuck with it.

But, when you get down to it, the Republican party is no longer a political party it's a criminal organization.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

haveblue posted:

You could target the GOP pretty easily by changing the election laws it's come to rely on to retain power. End partisan gerrymandering. Make voting easier and more widely available. Reform the electoral college

You can't ban a generic political party under the US system but you can definitely badly hurt a specific party in this specific situation. HR1 was supposed to do that, but, well, it's more important to allow a minority of the Senate to obstruct business

Definitely. I just can't figure out how that might ever happen here.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

But it was also 100% correct, and people weren't lying when they said they wanted politicians who told hard truths and tell it like it is, right?

People want politicians who will tell them hard truthiness.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Now that's all Kamala's domain.

I forgot she was VP until just now

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

I can only imagine how horrible we would be to each other if we could see our stripes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaschko%27s_lines

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Idk cats can see our stripes and they don't seem to care

They probably chose us as pets because of our stripes, tbh.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Brave New World posted:

Wow, really puts a new spin on Cyrano de Bergerac and Steve Martin's Roxanne.

Furthermore, I'm an Xer who's utterly baffled that anyone would ever use DoorDash, etc for anything other than a super-rare edge case.

Look, sometimes you just want fresh baked cookies delivered to your house at 2 AM.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

koolkal posted:

What gains have Democrats made post-Dobbs in protecting abortion rights?

Continuing to be slightly less bad than Republicans?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Second, the GOP specifically is not an inherently fascist party any more than any other right-wing party would be.

It's true, any right-wing party is going to be fascist as gently caress.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

I guess if you just look at this one out-of-context tweet and know literally nothing else about what he's talking about, it could seem like far-right poo poo. But that's not an issue with the people of New York so much as it's an issue with people who get all their news from provocative tweets and don't think to explore the context.

The context, in this case, is that this is not an anti-immigrant rant! He's not calling for an end to immigration, nor is he calling for the deportation of migrants. He's not scaremongering about non-white hordes invading the city.

Rather, he's pleading for federal aid to help cover the cost of feeding and housing a growing population of asylum seekers who have no housing, no money, no support, and no work permits. It's putting strain on social services in a time when city budgets are shrinking. Homeless shelters are full and it's not nearly enough; the city has started renting out entire hotels as emergency shelter for homeless asylum seekers. When he talks about how the issue is going to DESTROY the NYC we knew, he's talking about budget cuts decimating city services. Adams has spent months loudly and publicly begging the Biden administration to expedite providing work permits for asylum seekers, or to at least provide more federal support to help cover the costs of providing for the migrants that are legally barred from providing for themselves.

Eric Adams is certainly a weird dude, with an unusual affection for rhetoric that sounds exactly like right-wing rhetoric if you aren't listening too closely, but he's not actually spouting racism here (though right-wing publications and Twitter clickbaiters have been happy to snip bits of it out of context to make it seem like it's racism). I suspect he's being intentionally provocative, either because he thinks it'll force national Dems to stop ignoring him, or because he wants to shift blame for the impending budget crisis. Personally, I don't think it's a good tactic, but I'm not really sure he has any good tactics available (at least from the perspective of his own political survival).

Being intentionally provocative using common right-wing vernacular, particularly as a leader within the culture, sounds a whole lot like participating in systemic racism.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Gee, I wonder how FOX News and talk radio will report on this?

Eventually 'In a 6-3 decision, SCOTUS has rules that the IRS cannot audit as it compels honest speech'

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Froghammer posted:

A big reason the moneychangers were in the temple was because Roman coin was stamped with the face of the emperor, and because the emperor was worshipped as a living god, donating Roman coin was a violation of the 1st Commandment.

That theory is questionable given that they were changing money into coins from Tyre, which used a different image of god (Melkart), but still an image of god.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean, again, one has to assume that "people having too much money spiked inflation" is a true statement and I do not.

People believing they can make more money off of people having more money spiked inflation

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This FYI is called value based pricing.

A general transition has occurred across multiple segments of the economy from “cost based pricing” to “value based pricing “.

My portfolio will be cost+ until they fire me!

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

In this case it would mostly be the fact that he 100% loses his speakerphone the moment they withdraw support because it's not like "got propped up by the dems" is going to make the people pulling the trigger in removing him LESS willing to try to remove him from the speakers hip again.

Yes, this is the time where it's actually appropriate to make a deal with the fascists.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

zoux posted:

Someone is circulating talking points on how to respond to the Bowman issue and one of them is:

Now whether or not we consider Paul Gosar to be literally a member of the NDSAP or merely a militant, racist fascist, anytime you do this a million GOP commentators and politicians crawl up on the cross about the lack of decorum and how insulting and how dare democrats and you know the rest. So now Bowmann has to come out and specifically denounce these TPs
https://twitter.com/RepBowman/status/1708925626407674238

And probably have a stern talking to with his comms director. Anyway, the story continues.

Neo-Nazi is a pretty decent term to describe the modern republican

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

zoux posted:

Because the national press will make it an issue and pretend that the GOP has good faith objections to be referred to in those terms. In politics, one must choose one's words carefully.

This is why it's so important to add the neo-

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Eh, it's already being run horribly.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

I know it's just wikipedia, but here's the first paragraph on neo-nazism:

quote:

Neo-Nazism comprises the post–World War II militant, social, and political movements that seek to revive and reinstate Nazi ideology. Neo-Nazis employ their ideology to promote hatred and racial supremacy (often white supremacy), to attack racial and ethnic minorities (often antisemitism and Islamophobia), and in some cases to create a fascist state.

Which is a highly apt definition of the modern Republican party.

Second paragraph;

quote:

It borrows elements from Nazi doctrine, including antisemitism, ultranationalism, racism, xenophobia, ableism, homophobia, anti-communism, and creating a "Fourth Reich". Holocaust denial is common in neo-Nazi circles.

So, not specifically the Fourth Reich, but republicans have the rest covered.

It might be America's own particular brand of it, but on the whole the Republican party is a neo-nazi party.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Sorry, but that doesn't make any real sense.

First of all, fascists were hardly the first people to hate gay people, feminists, leftists, minorities, and/or liberals. Hate for the marginalized is nowhere near being the exclusive domain of fascists.

Second of all, it leaves out a number of factors that are widely associated with fascism and its offshoots. For example, both the Mussolini and Hitler regimes featured extreme nationalism and irredentism, a fetish toward exaggerated traditionalism paired with a desire to modernize society, a push toward an corporatist economic system (which is not the same as capitalism), and a strong desire to minimize the power and influence of organized religion and supplant it with fascism as a religion, and of course we can't forget the authoritarianism.

With Domionionism taking the place of wanting to minimize organized religion, again, this is the modern republican party.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Rather than derailing this thread it might be better to reactivate the fascism definition thread, possibly with some involvement with history goons who are more familiar with the underlying literature and theory.

I'm ok with it being stipulated in the thread that Republicans are fascist AF. Otherwise, Republican neo-nazism remains a very US current event.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Nenonen posted:

So you just take a definition that doesn't fit even closely to what you are looking at, and just decide that it's a perfect fit? I love to watch this :freep: logic in action :allears:

I count like 12 distinct points in the article and 11 match up with republicans.

92% same... you're right, not related at all.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Randalor posted:

So how many times will Jeffries get the majority of the votes this time? What's the over/under?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

That'd be a lot of turrets to man.

When I was working for MSPs one of the sites we hosted was a company that took paraplegics and quadriplegics hunting, by way of streaming the gunsight and having a servo pull the trigger when a key was pressed.

They'll sell tickets to let people man the walls remotely, my dude.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

Why do you think he wants to defraud people?

Well... he doesn't seem stupid or insane... he doesn't seem to want to spoil a D win for the R... what's the 4th option beyond "wants to get that money"?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

Surely there are more lucrative things that Dr. West could do than run as an independent candidate for President. As you say, he’s pretty smart. What if he just wants to be President?

Well, like I said, he's not stupid, and would know that he cannot win the presidency without an (R) or (D) by his name right now.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

There is also the possibility of him running to give voice to issues he cares about even if he knows his chances of winning are slim to nil.

Yeah OK that's a viable option too, thanks for that. I'll keep an eye out for if he says that or not. If that is his intention and he's not saying so but fundraising, that's still a grift. A better grift, admittedly.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I don't know a thing about guns, so like, what part of the cartridge hit the kid? I thought blanks didn't have the projectile bit

The glue the moron filled the cartridge in with to keep the powder in.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We also went through far more safety training than US gun owners, I’m guessing. Seriously the amount of gun-owning friends who will just toss me a gun and be snarky and mocking when I check it, or don’t want to chamber a round or fire shots in the back yard- especially in my former and negated home of Texas- I think the gun is cool, as a piece of tech. I’m not gonna risk my life or yours because woah cool!

And for fucks sake don’t allow Uncle Dale to show up with a homespun blank, and regardless of your knowledge of how he makes his blanks or bullets, don’t let him show up with them, even if you trust him 100% to fire a blank into the air because you could suffer the .0001% chance. It’s a lethal weapon not a toy.

Would you let your kids play lightsaber if they were merely turned down burn lightsabers and not the full cut off limb version?

poo poo, I require my kids to clear any weapon I hand them even though they just watched me clear it to hand it to them. Every gun is loaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Pobrecito posted:

(c) WAIVER.—The provisions of the Endangered Species Act
of 1973 and the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 are
waived to the extent the Attorney General determines necessary
to ensure expeditious construction of the barriers and roads under
this section.

ah yeah absolutely no room for an administration that didnt want the wall to happen to work with there...

They should just post a sign every mile saying 'do not cross this fence' and leave everything else alone.