Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

Just as a percentage game, right? In Manhattan, it was 86% Biden, 12% Trump. I think you can be optimistic and say only half the Trump voters are going to be dead-ender enough to refuse to convict under any circumstance. I don't know stats well, but I don't think it's ironclad for winning that gamble 12 times in a row.

If you're the Manhattan DA, you're probably hoping all these people will be unable to keep their traps shut and will proudly announce they stand with the real President Donald Trump and will never convict and get themselves tossed from the pool.

I am a math nerd, and if we use your assumption that 6% of the potential members of a Trump jury will be dead-ender Trump fanatics who will never vote to convict him for anything, then the odds that 12 random people from that pool will not have one of those crazy people is just 47.6% (That is 0.94^12)

Although, glass half-full, it isn't random, the prosecutors will presumably research everyone picked for jury duty and kick off everyone who is an obvious Trump fanatic.

Glass half-empty though, if NY can trim it down to just 1% of potential jurors being Trump fanatics, there's still about an 11% chance that the jury will have a crazy person on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Noted. For the record, low effort doomer posting should be regarded as far worse than low effort "please stop doomer posting" posting IMHO. I mean Donald Trump got indicted, can we have one single day where people in this thread can be free from naysaying and debbie downer poo poo?

I have actually been pleasantly surprised that the "nothing matters" doomposting poo poo hasn't been more prevalent. I think right now a lot of people are just holding their fire to see what really happens.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The White House is asking Congress to include a 30% tax on cryptocurrency mining in the budget negotiations for next year.

The tax would specifically be on the electricity used to mine cryptocurrency and not the trading or possessing of it.

Some cryptomining companies are pushing back because they say the White House is selectivly punishing crypto and not other industries for electricity usage. They also complain that the tax is on energy usage and not carbon emissions, so cryptomining facilities that get some of their energy from renewable sources are penalized the same amount as those whose do not.

The White House argues that cryptomining itself strains the grid and requires higher capacity generators, which produce more emissions and make it harder to green the powergrid because it raises the minimum amount of power required to operate it normally. They also argue that cryptocurrency has externalities that impose financial and environmental costs that other uses of electricity do not and that is why the tax is targeted at cryptomining facilities specifically.

The tax alone would not generate an enormous amount of revenue (roughly $350 million per year), but they say the point is not revenue generation specifically and instead say, “the primary goal of the DAME tax is to start having crypto miners pay their fair share of the costs imposed on local communities and the environment.”

The White House also says "it’s not yet clear what the economic benefits of this activity are" and that cryptomining doesn't create jobs or produce usable materials in the same way as other industries with high electrical usage do.

The crypto industry argues that the U.S. is currently the global leader in cryptomining and that crypto plays a valuable role in helping people make payments across borders without having to convert currency or pay a middleman. They also say that making it more expensive to mine crypto could drive it to other countries and cost the U.S. its position as the #1 cryptomining country.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1653521043531743235

eeugh, no please. Just call it a newly-created capital asset and then be done with it, they will eventually sell it. Or hell, whatever, just call it ordinary income without regard to what into creating it, and then just tax it immediately.

Crypto is already a headache as it is, and this will just make accounting firms (like I work for) happily charge higher fees to figure out their taxes, and our confused clients will just simply pay it and pass on the cost to their customers.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

haveblue posted:

You could always... not be into crypto. Then everyone wins including you

"Don't do that" is a mental command I wish I possessed. Unfortunately, the nature of most of my work right now is "ok, tell me what the gently caress you did last year... really? Wow, (to myself: that was really loving dumb) ok well here's the tax consequences of that dumbass decision you made last year, etc"

At least most dumbass decisions are easy to figure out, but crypto is a bit of a headache right now.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Please don't relitigate the 2016 election

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

UKJeff posted:

Is posting about posters not against the rules anymore? These are all from the last two days. I don’t have PMs, so I’m seeking clarification ITT, please.

"posting about posters" is indeed against the rules, with a few exceptions when the poster is actually relevant (rare in DnD, more common with tons of added drama on other boards)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rigel posted:

"posting about posters" is indeed against the rules, with a few exceptions when the poster is actually relevant (rare in DnD, more common with tons of added drama on other boards)

I figure I should expand on this a bit.

If you post about one specific poster, either named, or by making it super obvious who you are talking about, then yeah that is no bueno and will get you probed.

One level above that is posting generally about "the board", or your perception about what a board or what a specific thread believes, or what a notable minority of a board or a specific thread believes. Board vs board drama is its own thing which will get you probed, but ignoring that.... I myself have been guilty of posting about "the conventional wisdom" in the past, and this is tricky. In this situation I fall back on "were they challenged on it? If so, did they back it up?" "is this a new or novel argument? Is it interesting? Are my views being unexpectedly reinforced or challenged by this?" If so, then maybe its fine. If not, then maybe not.

If you go a level above that and say that generally speaking a large group (either political, geographical, or whatever) believes X (which maybe you need to support if you are just asserting it as fact, which is another rule if you get challenged), then that is not really posting about posters anymore, at all.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 30, 2023

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

zoux posted:

I think for a lot of people, and kudos to Republicans for somehow making this indelible connection, a bad economy is when a Democrat is president. I don't know that I've ever seen a Democratic candidate outpoll a Republican on "better for the economy" in my life, even Donald Trump, who is a moron and has publicly failed and declared bankruptcy multiple times, was always "better on the economy". I think that economic matters are very difficult to measure and understand and people have just decided on a better shorthand, because it sure as poo poo isn't based on empirical observation, the opposite actually.

The economy was perceived by voters as by far the single biggest strength for Bill Clinton, to the point where a lot of people voted for him for reelection despite thinking he was immoral.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

Anti-abortion states are fascist run so I can see the concern with any data sharing that legitimizes fascist states and could possibly assist them.

mod hat: I didn't really want to probe this, I just wanted to gently observe that a blunt take this hot and spicy could probably be helped with some kind of a source or an argument crafted with a bit more care than this? I'm not necessarily saying I disagree, but it is kind of hard to respond to this without being on the side of fascism.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think the EFF is in the right to bring up possible concerns and the argument that it is normal does not mean it is the correct action for police in California to take and it makes sense for activists to make an attempt to block it because anti-abortion states are, if not fascist because that's a loaded term but we do like saying that the Republicans are fascists, directly harming people with inhumane laws.

yeah, I think I agree with all of that. I am just selfishly hoping you might choose to post with a bit more tact to generate maybe 1.5 fewer reports/week for me to look at. :unsmith:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Google Jeb Bush posted:

after the ACA was passed, Republican voters voted for people who promised to destroy it insofar as they could and then were shocked that their states stripped medical benefits from them

this was particularly obvious in Kentucky where Kynect was legitimately well-designed, the new governor actively tried to trash it, and the general response was "oh no, i didn't realize kynect and my aca subsidies were obamacare :ohdear: "

naturally, this realization is why kentucky in 2022 went *checks notes* 62% republican

Unfortunately. the absolute strength by which they were able to see their forces subjected to made the rest of us realize that facility was not possible, so we no longer tried to achieve deslavery in the north.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

koolkal posted:

This is very strong rhetoric considering these pro-life politicians and American fascists currently control the House.

To be fair, that was mostly New York Dem party idiocy than anything else.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fuschia tude posted:

Can they give him any of the real Speaker's powers? Or do they have to actually factually elect a new one?

A majority can pretty much do whatever they want. They make their own rules, the constitution only requires that the house be run by a speaker, and the courts won't likely get involved with a complaint that this interim speaker can't be given some power.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

If they’re going to give McHenry power to run things anyway why not just elect him as speaker and state that business will continue until they can figure out something else, and then he steps down/is axed in favor of whoever they work out?

They were hoping to have only a few holdouts who they could then publicly pressure as blocking israel aid and/or gop priorities. When it's over 20, and possibly more though, then thats not really an option.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Right, but that would’ve been get get Jordan the job.

The thing I’m seeing discussed now is giving McHenry some powers to keep things running while they figure it out. I assume that would take the same majority vote, and I’m not sure why Democrats would be more likely to help with that. So to me the simpler thing, if they have the votes to do that within the GOP anyway, would be for them to just elect McHenry but with a term that has an expiration date (probably right after the CR needs passed.)

The dems do have some modest demands as well for their votes. Maybe a few dems can be peeled off with no strings attached, but Jeffries has indicated that he won't green light his caucus to empower the interim speaker just for free, everyone will want to know the details first.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Retro42 posted:

USCE 2023: Jordan still having issues taking "No" as a valid answer.

I like it

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The 3rd public humiliation of Gym Jordan will begin soon.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol, Kevin McCarthy is being forced to humiliate himself by nominating Gym

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is just absurd, McCarthy is being openly mocked on the floor as he tries to say with a straight face that Jordan is an effective legislator who listens to colleagues and can reach a compromise.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like we are going to settle in at 25 GOP votes against Jordan. He lost 3 more, and gained none.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

OctaMurk posted:

McCarthy also was able to make promises to cajole people into voting for him. Whats Gym got? Having people call in death threats? If you threaten people and they vote no anyways, you got nothing. And he has nothing to promise.

I did hear one analyst on TV give an explanation (why keep humiliating Jordan?) that made sense. They basically have to show the MAGA grassroots idiots the body to prove that the swamp won't let them rule the house. They put up someone who is far deeper into Trumplandia than almost anyone else, and ostensibly tried as hard as they could to get him elected. Once the voters understand it can't happen, then maybe they could get serious?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gym Jordan reportedly broke the record (since the house was expanded to 435) for the fewest votes for speaker, as the majority nominee, from the majority party.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Starting to seem that way. I'd be hesitant to give any of them credit as "planners", but it certainly seems possible that they thought they could hijack things by torpedoing all other options. It's always worked for them before.

The reported remark that (something like) "it will either be Jordan or the moderates will grow a spine for the first time ever" seems to support this theory.

edit: lol, the GOP is holding a secret ballot that basically says "check one, should Jim Jordan drop out? (Yes/No)"

Rigel fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 20, 2023

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

haveblue posted:

*looking at the woodchipper that has devoured the sitting speaker and the preferred candidate of the guys who turned the woodchipper on* I like my chances in there

Don't forget the preferred candidate of the guys who didn't want the woodchipper turned on, he got emulsified as well.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dubar posted:

If we just let every rep be speaker for a day, that should get us most of the way through the term

I wish they could do that and release a schedule. I would consider taking the day off work for MTG day.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm legit curious how long it's been since someone crossed party lines in an affirmative vote for speaker that passed. When did a GOP rep vote for a Democrat, or vice versa? I looked at Pelosi's last vote and Republicans voted in lockstep against her, unsurprisingly.

Im not going to say it never happened before, maybe it did a long time ago, but voting for the other party for speaker without permission would probably mean you are not in the party any longer. You may as well switch or declare independent. We dont really have the "3 line whip" from British parliament, but if we did, this vote would be it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like they might actually elect this random mystery speaker

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

OK that's it, Mike Johnson has the votes

Edit: we need a new thread title to honor this random mystery speaker

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

He's apparently going to be allowed one short term deal to avoid a shutdown. So I'll give him until about 2 weeks after the next deal after that.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mutata posted:

Prop up that flood insurance market instead of buying people out and rebuilding in non-flood prone areas, awwww yeeeeah.

It's not just propped up, the feds basically are the flood insurance market. Insurance companies take calls, prepare paperwork, keep a small commission, and send the bill to the feds. They aren't willing to cover that poo poo.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Re: suddenly hearing voices in your 40's, I always quietly wonder about extemely severe alcohol use. Hearing angry insulting voices is often one of the last gifts you can potentially get from decades of alcoholism.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gerund posted:

I dont think 8 straight years of Obama made Republicans go towards the middle (McCain and Romney presented themselves as statesmen rather than outsiders). Losing multiple elections energized the fringe anti-government movements to become the main base of the republican party, and the same people who hated losing to Obama now believe that it is impossible for them to lose elections.

If the process is universal, that losing elections makes parties similar / towards the electorate of the last election, then why did Trump- an anti-Obama in many ways- win? Why has the "anti-uniparty" political faction become ascendant, counter to the argument being made?

Parties have often historically reacted to a disappointing loss by doubling down and assuming they weren't pure enough. Concluding that what the people need is to really see the (crazy, horrifying at the time to the middle) difference to win them back. Parties will eventually get tired of losing and do whatever they have to do to become more competitive.

The GOP had invested a lot of time and effort catering to their fringe to get them to keep voting every election, its going to take a lot of time wandering the political wilderness and getting their asses kicked before their base finally allows the party to do what they want. The longer it takes for the crazy right fringe to lose their grip on power within the GOP, the better for us.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Trump's win made two things true for Republican candidates:

1) it made them all vulnerable to a primary challenge from the even-crazier right, leading to a race to the bottom, and

2) it proved that "just radicalize as many people as you can" was a valid strategy to electoral victory.

Another extremely important element in the race was successfully convincing GE voters that you are not actually extreme while successfully dog-whistling your base into enthusiastically supporting you.

Trump's support and poll numbers collapsed within months as the people realized what they had done, the GOP lost the house 2 years later, and Trump lost re-election to an objectively poor candidate.

Trump's election has put off the GOP's reckoning to the point where they are actually close to re-nominating their big orange loser.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

A quick note on "voting doesn't matter" doom/apathy arguments and/or "Dems bad" debates: as irritating and report-producing as those two subjects may be to some people, they are not forbidden topics of discussion, and current events do occasionally cause them to become relevant topics.

When we get closer to an important election and those topics are used more often to just shut down debate and discourage people from talking about what they want to talk about, then this board has often banished those arguments into their own containment thread(s), but we aren't there right now.

Randalor posted:

Can any member of the house bring forward bills? Can we see the Dems troll the Speaker by bringing forward bills that codify the "extreme left" views of that long-haired hippie, Jesus Christ, complete with Bible quotes backing the bill?

Sure, and most members do file bills they care about no matter who is in charge! What tends to happen to the minority party's bills is they get referred to committee, and then the committee.... well gosh, committee time is valuable and limited, so we just didn't get around to your bill this term, sorry!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

You have identified why and how these arguments are used to sabotage discussion, and you are choosing to allow them do to exactly that. You have chosen not to enforce the rules.

In turn, you are telling the trolls that they can continue to do this, and you are telling everyone else to leave the forum.

Are there some cases where someone could have made these types of arguments that they did not actually believe in just to piss off posters in D&D? Sure, I guess, I'm sure its happened. I believe most of these posters are articulating a genuinely-held belief which is not obviously crazy on its face. These aren't arguments put forth by flat-earthers or bigfoot enthusiasts.

Also, things change. Topics that were once worn out and stale during the height of election insanity don't get talked about for a while, events can revive old arguments, we get new people posting here, etc. I'm sure these topics will get banished once again to containment threads at some point next year.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Eric Cantonese posted:

I forget if there was a rule in here about relitigating 2016, so I apologize in advance.

It is a topic to be cautious about broaching, if it is relevant to a point your making (which perhaps it is here). When things devolve into the 478th debate of whether or not Bernie was cheated/would have beaten Trump/etc is when we have to change the subject.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

one thing that sucks is that I doubt there's anyone in the chain of succession that's pro-palestine

Perhaps quietly, but it is difficult to think of a less politically relevant group in the USA than voters who care a lot about Palestine. Meanwhile, there are a significant number of voters who otherwise may vote for Democrats who likely wouldn't if the Democratic party started opposing Israel right now. You can make the ethical and moral argument, but you can't really make an electoral argument for opposing Israel.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Elephant Ambush posted:

Serious question that I've asked tons of people and never gotten a straight answer to:

Why is not voting always equated with voting for Republicans? Why isn't it the other way around or neutral?

Are you also saying that if I was hypothetically a registered Republican and chose not to vote, that I'm by default voting for Democrats?

This has never made any sense to me and it always just feels like some kind of guilting/shaming

If it is reasonably certain (which is a big if) that a given voter would vote for Democrats if they bothered to vote, then mathematically choosing to stay home is about the same as choosing to cast a half vote for the GOP.

Why? If the GOP somehow convinces a prior Dem voter to switch parties and vote GOP, that is a 2 vote swing. If they instead convince a prior reliable Dem voter to stay home, that is only half as effective, but still better for them than if they continued to vote for the Dems.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Combed Thunderclap posted:

This kind of rules change needs 60 senators. I believe Sinema has indicated she’s in favor of the change. They also might actually be able to scrape together the 9 Republicans if this continues.

Well, to be clear anything that the constitution doesn't say requires a supermajority, only needs 50+1. But its easier to just assume the nuclear option won't be used unless a lot of senators in leadership positions start discussing whether or not to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Staluigi posted:

The Koos Protocol: this is posting about posters, unless it's funny enough

Pretty sure I invoke the humor exception more than anyone :colbert: