Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I guess it's one of those things you can never explain, like when an angel cries, like runaway trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Ringo Star Get posted:

Pence still siding with Trump most likely means that he fears Trump will send J6’ers after Mother.
It's smart if Mother really did have a foal last week.

You have to protect what you love, folks.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Triskelli posted:

People… eat salt though? It’s a product you can sell
So you're saying we're thinking about desalination in the wrong way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD_8O5pAyes&t=111s

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

silence_kit posted:

Making fun of Trump for having low class tastes was probably not very productive, yeah. Most Americans aren’t as snooty about those things as SA Goons or New York Times subscribers.
That's the beauty of Trump and DeSantis attacking each other; I don't want either side to look good and "winning" only brings them looking incredibly awful to a majority of the voting population in the general.

Let them claw each other into oblivion with increasingly vile attacks.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Nenonen posted:

That's why you throw car batteries to sea, to keep them cooled.

Nenonen posted:

Some solutions are the use of overhead wires, for urban deliveries I assume, and battery swapping stations that then responsibly eject the old battery to the sea.
Is this what we really do to expired Lithium batteries?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

FizFashizzle posted:

I think overall it’s more that the elder leadership doesn’t want to set the precedent that they can be forced out over health concerns.
I believe this is called the Ginsburg Doctrine.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I think politicians who deliver for their constituents are more likely to get re-elected. People like it when you do things for them and makes them want to vote for you.
I'm curious if he gets any credit for making the attempt.

In an era where most politicians only go for slam dunk wins, Biden could have just ignored it. He tried, it may be technically tied up, but at this moment is a fail.

I don't have direct skin in the game, but agree wholeheartedly with the forgiveness policy. So I see it as a positive.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Elias_Maluco posted:

Can we mock the fact he is orange?
Doing so also denigrates Oompa Loompas.

Please think of them.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

I AM GRANDO posted:

Doesn’t she have a family? I couldn’t stand to see my grandmother going around like that as a shell of her former self.
Isn't there a lot of power in being a Senator that naturally falls into the various support groups like staff and family?

Whenever someone asks a question like "how can her family or aids keep doing this to her", my cynical view is theres a lot of Senatorial associated benefits in that shambling near corpse staying in her seat and of course in modern America they're going to keep suckling on those years of power and influence.

I mean, for fucks sake, RGB through her own hubris is responsible for ACB being seated on the Supreme Court. Of course we're going to get an embarrassing Weekend at Bernie's situation with Feinstein.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Ershalim posted:

I think a lot of people are in this camp, and the general feel for young-ish left-ish leaning people is summed up by "hey, every time the republicans do something the world gets worse" and "every time the dems are, nothing gets better." But I think fundamentally the problem isn't that republicans are evil and democrats are useless, those are just flavor. The problem is that wealth concentration is the same thing as power concentration, and we've reached a point where the wealthy have so much say in how everything plays out that there's very little to be done via voting. Both parties work to the same nebulous ends of corporate wealth and the even more nebulous "maximization of shareholder value," but they're both functionally serving a club you're not part of.
Despite only barely fathoming how devastating the consequences of it would be for me, my family, and everyone I know, there's a part of me that irrationally thinks a default would gently caress over this club too.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Clarste posted:

Seems like bailouts would be hard when the government explicitly can't spend on anything, but I'm sure they'd find a way.
I read:

https://www.ssa.gov/history/InternetMyths.html posted:

The Social Security Trust Fund has never been "put into the general fund of the government."
And automatically add "yet".

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Surely, regardless of your political affiliation, we can ask agree how important it is to feed one of the most vulnerable segments of our country, especially since-

https://newrepublic.com/post/173668/republicans-declare-banning-universal-free-school-meals-2024-priority posted:

States across the country are moving to provide universal free school meals to all our children. Meanwhile, Republicans are trying to stop them from doing just that.

The Republican Study Committee (of which some three-quarters of House Republicans are members) on Wednesday released its desired 2024 budget, in which the party boldly declares its priority to eliminate the Community Eligibility Provision, or CEP, from the School Lunch Program. Why? Because “CEP allows certain schools to provide free school lunches regardless of the individual eligibility of each student.”

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Veryslightlymad posted:

Even if I have a light and the right of way, I absolutely do not cross near drivers unless I am certain they see me. I signal them with intent when I am going to move. If I can't get eye contact on that, I don't move.

This is a rule I made after a few close scrapes. Most pedestrians don't do this. They just go when they have a light, and often if they don't if they think traffic isn't bad enough.
This sounds similar to my attitude toward driving and certain passengers who believe "rule of law" always trumps the situation.

There are so many times when I'll instinctive stop or just not go right away because something feels "off" and said passengers will noisily insist, "Go! You have the right of way!!!!!!"

On at least three occasions in the past 20 years my actions prevented being hit by another vehicle.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

borkencode posted:

A group of tech billionaires secretly bought up 50k acres in Northern California, and only started getting attention because the government was concerned about it being next to Travis AFB.
Are they beholden to the whims of their shareholders to have their Galt's Gulch built and making profitable for the next quarter?

There's no way Disney moves.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Oh, so walkable cities are fine if they are the ones doing it?
"If we're the ones doing it" is core libertarian ideology.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Srice posted:

There's a real good book called The Clothes Have No Emperor, which was basically a journal of poo poo that happened each week during the Reagan administration. You could replace the names in many of the anecdotes, say it happened in the Trump administration and it'd be perfectly believable. I flipped it to a random page and found a perfect example of this:
Giving credit and publicity supporting his wife instead of making it about his own narcissistic self?

That's FDR style politicking.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Yeah, the state of Boston Suburb is going to remain purple, it's not going red.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah even the libertarians have managed to take over and ruin a town or two, have the leftists managed the same anywhere?
They're working on Vermont by not prosecuting many types of crimes in the largest city, antagonizing the police there, and throughout the state handing out overly lenient sentences. The end result is a sense of generalized lawlessness that affects the white majority (although not necessarily as much as minorities) in a way that doesn't happen in red states.

As a puling leftist shithead, I think their actions are incredibly shortsighted and if it doesn't serve to swing VT purplish within the next 10-15 years, will ensure the continued bullshit of voting "not that kind of Republican!" for governors.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

I AM GRANDO posted:

This is honestly one of the more unexpected aspects of the trump revolution on the right—they’re now openly ok with all kinds of weird sex stuff so long as it centers heterosexual men (only mff swingers). People like Margorie Green and Lauren Boebert used to be kept out partially because their sex was distasteful to the culture, and Gaetz would have been destroyed by the kind of behavior his peers have seen from him, although paying teens for sex was always fine so long as it was deniable and kept quiet.
Given 50 years of rumors of Trump's sex life (70s swinger, marriages, extra marital affairs, and connections to the likes of Epstein), I'd argue that the Republican party normalizing all of this is a completely logical result of the "Trump Revolution".

I'm predicting several overplaying of this hand in the six months to three years.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

The Lord of Hats posted:

But god dammit so want to know what he thinks the deal would be.
Constitutional amendment to change 3/5th compromise to 2/5th.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Reading between the lines, the article all but confirms the cited company MedMen did the standard America Capitalist route of opening a poo poo ton of stores at once. And the one photo looks like a huge store.

quote:

The collapse of MedMen, which has operated in multiple states including Florida and New York, can’t be blamed entirely on the larger problems in California. In 2019, the company itself was blamed for recklessly burning through cash, and its executives were accused of spending lavishly on their own expenses, including 24-hour armed guards, private planes and luxury cars. By 2020, MedMen was already falling behind on its bills.
Won't somebody think of the short-sighted, ignorant American corporation? :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Main Paineframe posted:

In the US, the political gender gap dates back to the 80s. Or, to put it another way, it dates back to a major political realignment that completely changed the political landscape of the entire US. Moreover, one of the major factors in that realignment was a public backlash against the civil rights advances and proposals of the 60s and 70s. It's not hard to see how the impact of that might shift different demographics in different directions.
Another factor in the 70s and 80s was when capital started to petition the US government in earnest to roll back New Deal reforms originally put in place to prevent another Great Depression.

"It will be different this time, honest!" And so it has been. US capitalists have outsourced labor and wages outside of the country, giving noting to the previous white male labor force except instructions to "learn how to program". A major, powerful demographic from the start of the country was left to whither on the vine, severely disillusioned by the collapse of the "American Dream" for them.

Please understand that I'm not defending the white male or saying they should have been better placated. But as they and their (white male children) progressed, their entitlement never lessened and they have enjoyed the power of "majority". And of course instead of fighting capital, they've fought the same easy targets they've always fought: minorities.

Who have suffered greatly, but also made some advancements, especially women. To the point where we are today unlike their same-sex ancestors since the start of the country, they do not need men. Women may not be at the economic level that men have historically enjoyed in this country, but they seem to be trending upward and onward. Those who are succeeding are working against the odds.

And once again, the entitled white males, reacting to their easy targets they perceive to be below them, have been on a constant path to subjugate them all once again. And succeeded when Roe v. Wade was finally abolished.

That there are massive political differences between men and women these days should hardly be a surprise. America is firmly in the "find out" phase having spent the last 40 years "loving around".