Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Hogama posted:

Minimap symbols are interesting here...

good thing there's an apple mapped to one of the hotkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

too lazy to click

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Gorgolflox posted:

I, of course, have it preordered

Yeah, same. There's no way they spend 6 years and make a bad game.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Just Andi Now posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but I've seen some people just absolutely destroy Hyrule Guessr, and that's just the people putting that on youtube.

Total: 21287pts on the first try, haven't played botw since the dlc came out.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

In preparation of TotK i fired up BotW for about the first time since I completed the DLC.

Having played not much else but CoD/Warzone on the PS5 in the past 2 years, the controls take some getting used to again. Getting hosed by guardians cause I have to re-learn how to parry the lasers, dying in random Moblin fights cause they one hit me and my weapons suck. Still good fun.

I also forgot most of the shrine puzzels and am actually surprised how long some are taking me. Also the sense of exploration is still there, seeing a shrine off in the horizon, finding random chests and Koroks, hiking up Satori mountain cause it’s glowing green and I can’t resist checking it out even though I vaguely remember what was there.

Good game.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

I’ve ordered it at the same place that sent me Mario Odyssey a day early before, hoping I get lucky again

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Tokelau All Star posted:

I've had two kids since BOTW came out.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

God it’s been so long between Zeldas :cry:

For real. I’ve had a whole rear end relationship end, started a new one, switched jobs, moved cities twice and bought a house and a dog and now have a kid underway.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

HYPED

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

This game looks jam-packed with good stuff

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Vookatos posted:

I'm super sleepy so I wasn't able to concentrate on most things but I laughed at Link riding what looked like a giant fridge on wheels

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

External Organs posted:

Pretty curious how big the npc stuff will be. Are we talking a few missions or is this Legend of Zelda: Nuts and Bolts: Dragons Dogma.

Yeah, that's where Zelda lacks compared to e.g. Witcher3 or Skyrim to name some open world games I've played on Switch. The NPCs are cute but ultimately not a huge part of the game.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

a.lo posted:

what if ganondorf was a girl

In German, it’s das Dorf, so it’s neuter. Guess Nintendo has always been woke with their genderless characters

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I’d argue it could come back in the same form, but it needs to be really easy to get, like “complete a shrine” easy

yeah, getting the bike in botw after completing the whole game and the dlc was pointless.

like i've finished the game, i'm gonna spend maybe 15 minutes driving that thing around for shits 'n giggles but i've played 99% of the time without it.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Theorycrafting is very cool and fun imo

I don’t mind the lore and timeline stuff but at some point it gets too complicated and I just hope that Nintendo doesn’t limit itself in game development cause the new thing has to fit in somewhere between all the old things.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

They were playing at Nintendo HQ afaik, I'd assume a rep was watching over their shoulders and they had to sign all kinds of NDAs.

Game looked super fun though, can't wait. 2 more weeks!

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Icedude posted:

How have I only just found out that wearing the Wind Waker lobster shirt gives a huge buff to raft speed when blowing it with a korok leaf? :psyduck:

uh, i didn't know either

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Caidin posted:

Is there a special reason why sometimes you need the Master Sword to kill the Ganon and sometimes you just need a silver arrow maybe.

In totk you can just attach your master sword to an arrow and shoot Ganon in the face, then go enjoy yourself collecting koroks

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Update to the leaked game situtation

Turns out the dude sold it to someone for 100 bucks usd and not only that... its just the display case of the collectors edition. No game inside lol

$300 for the actual game: https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m46100100581/

this doesn't spoil anything but the cartridge but censoring it just in case

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Skyrim offers more content/quests/character customization, BotW is better in nearly every other aspect.

I thought I'd be fine waiting 10 more days for TotK but knowing the pirates are already enjoying it while I wait for my copy plus these spoilers everywhere make the wait so much worse.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Potato Salad posted:

I plead Poe's Law and I'm sorry vvv

have you heard of Cole's law?

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

MokBa posted:

In a week from today we will all be playing Zelda to our heart’s content. Then we can go into the spoiler thread and wreck up the place.

:regd08:

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

replaying botw a bit. it's funny how i AGAIN approached the zora town from a completely different direction than the game 'intends'. just skip the long road with lizalfos archers and fly in from lanyaru tower.

remember that if you open up a chest and your weapon slots are full, you have to back out, open menu, drop the weapon, reopen chest. so annoying.

that is fixed in totk according to my pirate friend.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh. I was curious about save bonuses from BotW on TotK and apparently there's more than what was mentioned in this thread. 0 spoilers about new stuff, just so people who finished recently can know.

Besides your stabled horses, you keep your health/stamina from the early game, your house in Hateno and Tarry Town progress, gotta do the last one.

so i start with like, 20 hearts and 3 stamina circles? seems like that would make things quite easy in the early game? and can they be maxed out even more?

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

alright. well i'll be patient until friday. though i saw on reddit some people getting their pre-order copy early, maybe I'll get lucky too. SM Odyssey came in early for me.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Mostly shocked he never played botw before, but yeah, I’d finish that game before starting the next one too. The other way around seems like a worse option.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

I have it pre ordered but contemplating heading over to a physical store to see if they’ll have copies on display. Some people on Reddit have reported unaware salesperson just handing them out before release day.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Lucky you.

My pre-order status just went to shipped, so it'll arrive sometime tomorrow.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

100% in under 20hr speedrun. That's insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMPTSiOuNpA

Dictator. fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 11, 2023

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

IGN 10
Nintendolife 10

cant watch the video cause it'll spoil all kinds of poo poo. but good grades so far.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

97/100 based on 60 reviews on metacritic. seems like an OK game i guess

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

CJ posted:

I skimmed over it and it's just someone who didn't like that Zelda moved away from the classic formula and is upset they doubled down on it rather than addressing the complaints of BotW.

If you liked the BotW gameplay loop this game is that turned up to 11. If you were disappointed about lack of real dungeons and a story told in flashbacks this game doesn't do much to attempt to address those complaints so you might agree with him.

Boohooo, Zelda is supposed to be a very linear 8-dungeons-8-special-items affair, I can't believe they dared to make another game that offers freedom

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Rageaholic posted:

How do you get up to the ice shrine? I ate a spicy pepper meal to give me cold resistance, then tried to use Ultrahand to attach a bunch of logs together to climb up to the shrine and bypass the icy surface, except the logs didn't seem to work and my cold resistance ran out and I died :negative: lol

e: nvm, I got it

Yeah I prepared like 4 spicy meals. Took me a while to find the right path.

Just left the sky for Hyrule, spent 10 minutes buikding a car to cross a distance that would’ve taken 2 minutes on foot. Enjoying it a lot

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Have played for about 10 hours straight. Game is good so far. Two shrines are kind of wack, one I knew the solution direction but kept misaligning with sticking parts to other parts, the other was completely unclear you have to make a machine that tracks an orb into a target .

Does it make sense to go back to the sky area after the first couple of ground missions? I didn’t mess around too much at the starting area besides grabbing all the powers. Anything I might’ve missed?

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Spent Friday and Sunday playing wayyyy past my bedtime.

Just arrived to the Rito village, unlocked a couple dragon tears, 2 towers, 10-15 shrines, spent a LOT of time underground collecting Poes.

Have a feeling I skipped quite some content rushing my horse from Tabanta to Rito (good to see the stable has all my old ones), I kept getting distracted and figured I should advance the main quest at least a little bit. Have also only been to one of the Sky Islands, not really sure how to get back up other than through the towers? Reverting the rocks that fall occassionally doesn't really get you high up enough.

Some tips:

Underground: Ride the Stalfos horses, they are immune to the red goop and you can traverse areas quickly. Don't engage too many battles early on cause the enemies there are strong as f.

Something that'll help flying: you can get a wingsuit armor in the sky island above the Lindor Brow tower. There's a minigame where you skydive. Getting under 35 seconds is easy, just don't glide. You'll get the armor. The second challenge is getting under 20 seconds, you need to be in constant diving position for it, but the reward isn't worth trying a whole bunch of times.

If you see a well hop into it, some lead to underground, others lead to caves with goodies. You can Ascend out of them

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

SirPablo posted:

I've bottled a lot of underground sperm, not sure what I'm to do with it.

three hints, from obscure to precise:

1 check the starter town

2 there's a statue

3 it's a round-ish brown one where Robbie first hangs out. He gives you things in return for Poes. Then points you to other statues like him

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Shoehead posted:

Spent another hour in the cave I mentioned last night, mainly because it led to Hyrule Castle so I spent a chunk of time grabbing chests there, I didn't even clear it out because I got grabbed by a Wallmaster and teleported out before I died.

For the guts of that 3 hour cave dive I was over due a Bloodmoon, I could see the particles flying about signalling one, but I guess there's some sanity check in place so you don't reset in these areas and things got a little broken while I was in there. Mainly the game stopped loading models for my gear and would pause to load weapons I switched to for over a minute in some case. But gently caress it I was not gonna restart this cave!

I'm getting a blood moon every 1-2 in-game days, I'm not even fighting that many enemies, just exploring a ton.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

first a couple hearts so not everything killed me in 1 hit, then stamina so i can fly and climb further.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Shoehead posted:

lmao I think this game is killing my Switch

Mine sure is making weird grumbling noises when the fan spins. But I haven't used in in 2 years before ToTK came out.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Peachy Nietzsche posted:

Had a weird interaction with the Gloom Hands at Akkala Citadel. I stayed up high on one of the main building walls and pondered how I would finally engage them. But as I was thinking out a plan of attack and they squirmed against the wall they just dissipated and left behind a dark clump.

same.. i've engaged with them once but usually just cower somewhere high up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

RatHat posted:

I think the only purpose of that is to hint you about the shrine in the whirlpool, since jumping into it might be a little un-intuitive and I don't think the sensor would detect the shrine underground

I had a way different approach: I was gliding from the starter sky island and saw the island that holds the glowing rock, then just dropped that down the hole and jumped after it