Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

lol fan artists are very talented and fast

I'm sure the canonical touchpoint for the sky islands is going to be Skyward Sword, but all the sky stuff + Link looking like a mythological Grecian hero is giving me Kid Icarus vibes.

it's kinda funny that among all the details he talked about, Aonuma didn't once acknowledge Link's new look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hey glad to know I almost made it :unsmith:

I am so loving stoked for this game. I'm not disappointed at all that it has the same map with add-ons- I wanted a sequel to BOTW and this is it. It's also really am blown away at just how smooth the transition from dropping from a sky island to the ground is- the Switch is drat long in the tooth and was never a real powerhouse to begin with, so seeing there be no stuttering or obvious loading was beautiful.

yeah that was the most impressive part of the demo by far. there were no "tricks" to it, you didn't have to slowly squeeze through a narrow passage while the game hid a load, it wasn't a scripted moment or tied to an environmental feature

though it did kind of remind me of Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy. hopefully there are easy ways to get back up. maybe you'll be able to Recall yourself or something

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

a.lo posted:

there’s not going to be any dungeons if you can just swim through the ceilings sigh

shrines have special surfaces you can't climb so that the core feature of BotW didn't break them, there's no reason they couldn't just just put that stuff on ceilings and say you can't Ascend. easy peezy

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't know how you incorporate dungeons in the same way into a game like botw. I don't see how they would do item rewards in each dungeon like previously (bow, hookshot, etc) but maybe they find some way to evolve that, or heck bring back neat items that still allow cool effects but don't gate progression?

I say all this hoping there are dungeons again, though.

I can see a few possible ways to approach it

The four new abilities seem a lot more upgradable than the sheikah slate. Complete Skytower Plunge to unlock the Descend upgrade to Ascend, complete Zonai Ironworks to unlock the Dismantle version of Fuse, etc. etc.

or they could tap into the fuse system. I'm picturing something like the bomb flowers: they were temporary crutches until you unlocked a permanent item. So maybe there are dungeon items that are essentially permanent or repeatable versions of useful fusion combos, similar to how the Master Sword was a permanent weapon

or maybe they just forego the "you unlock everything at once" design of BotW and allow more hand abilities to be unlocked over time

regardless, I feel supremely confidant in saying that there are going to be seven somethings that you must complete given that art piece shown in the 1st trailer. Whether they call them dungeons or sky palaces or whatever, they're going to be dungeon-esque

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

glassyalabolas posted:

I'm a bit surprised they didn't announce DLC or a season pass.

Could it be that they don't intend to offer DLC finally?

probably waiting for launch, either just before or after

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Winifred Madgers posted:

I keep meaning to ask this, but should I know what the Zonai are? I admit I didn't finish Twilight Princess and I still haven't gotten to Skyward Sword even in the remake, so have I missed something in there because everybody else seems to know what's up.

there were introduced in BotW, and even then only via item descriptions and area names. We "know" them from their ruins, which are vaguely Mayan in design

Especially talented lore lords spotted things associated with Zonai in the earliest trailers. Otherwise they are a total mystery, other than perhaps being linked to the events of 10,000 years ago given that their ruins are older than the Hylian ones

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Hogama posted:

Looking back through, Aonuma was being really cheeky with the camera.

I just watched the video a 2nd time and "cheeky" really describes the whole thing. lots of clever camera work and cuts, and I have to imagine leaving the UI on was a deliberate choice

The Zonai connection is confirmed via item drop names. They could have disabled those, but they left them

Link looks like a wildman with a hosed up arm, but he doesn't mention it even in passing, nor does he bring up the master sword (?) ability. they could have started the demo toggled to one of the abilities they were going to introduce, but they didn't

he's about to run into a cave, you can clearly see it's a deep one with a path that curves onwards to the left, but no, we're here to show off Ascend and then the footage cuts to something else the moment he's about to re-enter it.

so many things that show up in the background that are quickly passed over. the friendly / animal-like constructs, a dragon in the sky, some kind of storm looking thing; the camera doesn't try to hide any of them but they're never remarked on

maybe I'm giving Nintendo too much credit, but it feels like a video deliberately created for the people who make or enjoy those hours long analysis videos

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Can't believe they reused the map. Standard game development is to scrap all code and tear down your office and start fresh. No reusing code, hire new employees, nothing from the last game carries over

this bothered me even when I was a kid

I think it's the coolest thing to revisit an area of a previous game in a new one, but it almost never happens. The rare times it does, the new area often looks nothing like the previous one, likely due to the problem of there being new engine or artists or designers or programmers

so in a lot of ways Tears of the Kingdom is already the coolest video game ever made

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

that one awful cook near a shrine in Gerudo has used the timeskip to emerge as a brilliant chef and she now teaches her craft

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

Let me tell you about a little game series called Yakuza/Like A Dragon and how there's a whole thread in these very subforums that know their way through Kabukicho in Japan IRL.

Walking through Kamerocho in each new entry and seeing what's changed, which businesses opened or closed, which streets are prosperous, which side story characters I remember and how they've changed, is a simple joy. It's like going back to your hometown after being away

The Trails series is also really good at this

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

MokBa posted:

Yeah but what if it’s just like, one cave. Personally I want to discover a completely new layer of exploration right under Hyrule. Or at least I’m hoping some of the dungeons are a throwback to the original game and are underground.

the fact they check off caves on your map implies that cave exploration factors heavily in the game

imo the checkmark doesn't mean "you've done what you have to do here" but rather "you've discovered this entrance AND you've been in / out of it", because some of the cave icons are *really* close together and are surely multiple mouths of the same system. It could be that the part of the underground feature is sussing out how it all connects, which would make it very distinct from how the overworld works

I am choosing to believe, anyway

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

The Barbarian armor is the only thing we have that tells us what the Zonai might have looked like.

this is also where the theory that the ancient hero 10,000 years ago was Zonai, because the red "hair" and tusks / horn on the helm here match the ancient hero on the tapestry

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm also doing Master Mode for the first time

I don't mind health regen, but I do mind how aggressive it is. Knocking enemies away ends up being a net negative because they're far enough way to start regenerating. just like... give me a few more seconds!

It's fun to avoid enemies. even a Lynel is weak to the strategy of "turn tail and run away"

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Something about the way Zelda devs design their world makes the areas that are unfinished or pared down really stand out. Since as far back as OoT people have really fixated on these spots, and they've been the sources of playground rumors or lore speculation

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Using Fuse to combine Epona's Song with the Song of Soaring

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw a few posts now saying caves are back in a big way and I wanted to ask where was that confirmed outside one of the two cutscenes being in one

Not really saying it's impossible but the only caves I remember were little holes with a shrine in them in 1 and I don't recall seeing anything about them in 2

Caverns feature prominently in the trailers, both in cutscene form and with enemies in them. In the latest demo we saw on the minimap that caves are tracked somewhat like shrines, with icons that can be checked off. The Ascend ability seems made with spelunking in mind

and presumably there are big holes where parts of the sky islands were. still not clear if all the sky islands were risen from underground or somewhere else, but at least hyrule castle and the labyrinths were raised

so it's all just inferences, but pretty strong ones

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

After some thought, I'm less worried that TotK will seem like "glorified DLC" for BotW than I am that BotW will look like an early beta test for TotK. Like, it almost seems like TotK is the game they wanted to make but knew it would take a decade so they released the half-finished version with the map and physics system halfway through development.

I don't know if it'll go that far, but TotK will definitely complicate things for people new to Zelda, or people looking to return. It might end up being one of those sequels where people suggest skipping the previous game, and that'd be a real shame if that's BotW's legacy in 5-10 years.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it it might have been Skyrule.

if you search the forums the first mention of Skyrule or Hyrim (in a non-name sense) are your two posts

my memory is swiss cheese but what i recall is that any mention of Skyrim was in the sense of "finally, a non-Skyrim and non-Witcher 3 take on open world"

but I agree it's silly to understate Skyrim's influence and impact. It was (and is) enormous. Very frequently a huge shift in an industry isn't by something particularly novel but by something that finds the right ratio of foundational ideas, new ideas taken from more experimental attempts, and a nice packaging. and that's Skyrim. it's not the Avengers of games, but it might be the Game of Thrones (TV show) of games

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

During my first playthrough I went essentially counterclockwise around the map starting from the southeast, so for my 2nd I'm obviously going clockwise from the southwest

Turns out I missed a lot in the Gerudo desert... such as a Gerudo named Tali whose gimmick is that she never talks

Aonuma!!!!!!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Actual adventurers would use a map, that's just common sense.

yeah but fantasy adventurers don't often have 1:1 perfect topographical maps with zoom and GPS

I bet it'd be real neat to do a BotW playthrough where you follow a cloth map. or, better yet, a map that takes its cues from a theme park map where nothing is to scale and you have to navigate via cartoonishly exaggerated landmarks

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

yeah they're just tubs of HP and cost so much in terms of time and weapons

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Pixeltendo posted:

In the lead up to TotK I've replayed BoTW and it's Prequel Warriors spinoff, and now I'm working on Minish cap for a traditional Zelda.

It's interesting the game mentions the Picori can mend the Master Sword, makes me really curious if they're gonna show up in TotK considering it has a scrapped idea for tiny people.

my :tinfoil: theory is that the picori are in the game and those green spiral things buildings we've seen are how you shrink yourself. and while you won't be able to explore the entire overworld in mini-mode, it'll still serve (like the sky and maybe underground) as yet another way to expand the map

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

SirPablo posted:

I live in the same drat house. Have the same drat job. Same drat wife. Last drat kid was born shortly after BOTW came out. Nothing has changed.

Ennui of the Kingdom

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

WarpDogs posted:

in fact I think I just cracked the code. feel free to Tweet out something like "sources tell me there's a Tears of the Kingdom Direct coming April 13th, 2023" and reap in all those sweet clickbait impressions once it's announced

right date, wrong format. so close... :negative:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

they're also subpoenaing Discord for the identity of the guy that leaked the art book

Nintendo's business department is crammed full of evil little freaks. at least their creators make epic video games and consoles

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

queen

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

The teardrops are surely a reference to the items (and the subtitle of the game) but it's also very evocative of Skyward's Impa

I'm going to double down on my theory you end up on the moon at some point. That's definitely Ganondorf (or maybe Demise, or maybe red-haired hero...?) standing on his orbital lunar base (which might also be Hyrule Castle) during the blood moon

In general there seems to be a big theme of fusing throughout the game. Perhaps the Sacred Realm fused onto Hyrule which allowed the previously sealed Ganondorf to drink just a ton of water and come back to life. Or perhaps the past fused with the present?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

aw poo poo, Zelda, you hosed up and cried for the wrong man

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

External Organs posted:

There was a pirate ship

and the Zonai constructs are evocative of the Lanayru robots, Zelda's tear tattoos looking like Impa's, and the Master Sword is hosed up and Hylia (Zelda) probably needs to fix it

someone in this topic mentioned awhile back that the funniest outcome to the Zelda timeline would be if BotW is a convergence of the 3 timelines and TotK somehow connects to SS so that it's all just one big circle. I'm hoping for that

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Hogama posted:

LINK, YOU MUST FIND ME

dang, good catch

so Zelda falls into the Land of the Lost hole

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

an important thing we havent yet considered from the trailer:

hateno got mushroomized

the green tops of the foreground mushrooms look like Shreks

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Augus posted:

the zonai(?) lady that does the kamehameha is probably Zelda's predecessor in the time period she lands in

Born too late to explore earth, born too early to explore space, but born just in time to understand this sentence

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Regarding Ganondorf, I think there's a chance this is an origin story of sorts for him, which would make the thematic connections to SS (which had Zelda and Link's origins) even more relevant

Ever since the tapestry was showed 6 years ago people have speculated that the red-haired hero was actually Ganondorf, and that the Zonai either worshipped him or he was related to their kingdom is some way. This latest trailer provides even more hints of that:

- Zelda is seemingly sent back in time, likely to the time of the Zonai / 10,000 years ago, in that weird chamber dehydrated Ganondorf is imprisoned in, suggesting he's also connected to that era
- He has a tear like the other champions, suggesting he was perhaps one of the champions before being corrupted
- There is a notable difference between the evil figure shown early in the trailer (during the huge blood moon) and Ganondorf proper. The former is more monstrous, has much different hair, a different profile, and they purposefully cut away before the face reveal. The first figure reminds me of Demise actually

Blaziken386 posted:

also my number one hope for TotK is that they make rain not be absolutely terrible

"what if we had a gimmick that disabled your climbing ability, made it impossible to use 75% of all weapons and shields, reduced visibility to snot, AND made it impossible to pass time unless you can find shelter??"

its not immersive its just tedious. is it loving perpetual monsoon season or something.

yeah. it was a neat gimmick leading up to Zora's Domain and the area with all those thunderstorms, but it was far too punishing and annoying elsewhere. the intention was probably to throw a monkey wrench in your exploration strategy so that "climb to highest place" wasn't always the answer, but in practical terms it often was the only answer, so you ended up just waiting the storm out, which was boring

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

its incredibly ramshackle and contrived but thats what makes it fun. like yes obviously every game is standalone but what if

Yeah, exactly

and the only reason it's overly convoluted is due to the early titles. Every game from OoT onward has had a pretty explicit place in the series timeline (even the handheld games), no real guesswork required. It's something Nintendo is intentionally doing, though that doesn't make it any less slapdash

BotW has been the one exception to that, and it's been fun to speculate why. TotK is only adding more fuel to the speculation fire

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Sydin posted:

It's funny because if they just timeline'd the main games and said stuff like Link's Awakening, Four Swords, etc was all just in-universe folk tales or in a separate side universe or whatever nobody except the absolutely gooniest of nerds would care, and it would make the whole thing much neater. That's essentially what Mega Man did with it's own timeline: it's Classic > X > Zero > ZX > Legends and everything else they've made is just treated as AU.

I don't know the right word to describe this, but I get the feeling that Nintendo is completely aware how silly it is, yet they are still very serious about it. It's as if they took it as a challenge to add every title to the timeline regardless of how insane that'd be

I mean the 2nd game, canonically speaking, is the origin story of Link's hat. That's ridiculous! But they embrace it, and that's why it rules

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

The most meaningful Fi reference in BotW is actually in the final memory, and it's really touching so I'm spoiling it just in case. It's when Link ostensibly dies. Zelda is mourning him, and then the Master Sword starts glowing and making Fi noises and Zelda responds to it as if it were talking to her: "The sword...? So he can... he can still be saved?" and that's actually why she brings Link to the shrine of resurrection. Fi still has our back no matter how many ages it's been :unsmith:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

e: f

In case there was any doubt, Matt Mercer is confirmed to be voicing Ganondorf

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1646676756122705922

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Daner T posted:

Is this guy Zonai or related to the Sheikah? It looks like he has a closed third eye on his forehead with the 3 lashes and the drop on his nose looks like it would be the tear drop we see the sheikah wear.

my speculation is that the Zonai were like the Sheikah in the 10,000 years ago war, creating tech, keeping divine secrets, serving the royal family etc. This is the tech the Sheikah later unearthed and adapted in the 100 year ago war - also the same tech Ganon took over super easily

so it may be the Zonai are the precursors to the Sheikah. Maybe they're corrupted now and serving Ganondorf in a similar role the Sheikah serve for Link and Zelda. or it may be nothing.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

lih posted:

this trailer's much wilder than any of the botw trailers

It's neat to rewatch the epic BotW trailer because it's actually extremely similar to this one in terms of structure and flow, it's just that the TotK one is cranked up to 11 once it reaches the feature and story montage

The BotW trailer is luxuriating in sweeping vistas for a long time, while TotK is just like "ok, that's enough of that. We all know why we're here, let's get crazy"

it's the perfect way to make a sequel trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

they couldn't call it the Legend of Link because you could change his name in most of the games. but that's just a theory: a game theory