Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Phenotype posted:

So... I gotta say I'm a little bit disappointed with this game. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely A Good Game, and I'll probably put in another 50 hours before I finish it, but to me, it just doesn't feel like Zelda.

I'm just not sure why they went all-in on Ultrahand. I know lots of people love this kind of thing, but it's such a specific mechanic and it's one that I just don't care for, as a rule. Never played Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, or Minecraft, or Terraria or Fortnite or basically any game that asks you to build stuff, I just don't find it to be that fun. And it's so all-encompassing a mechanic that every few minutes, I have to stop being Link and engage the "building stuff" side of my brain. It just feels like it drags everything to a screeching halt every time, especially because it feels so fiddly trying to get pieces to attach at just the right angle and spot. And honestly, Fuse would be a fine concept on its own, but not paired with Ultrahand. It's just too much fiddling around with weapons and rocks and sharp bits from your inventory ON TOP of all the fiddling around with boards and capsules.

Like I said, it's not a bad game at all, and I had a lot of fun doing the first dungeon earlier, which felt a lot more like what I wanted from a Zelda game, but yeah. Most of it just doesn't feel much like Zelda. Running through the open world is cool, exploration feels great, I love that they populated it with so many villagers, I just wish so many of the things that it asks me to do weren't sticking together some boards and a fan in the right combination.

I'm not very far in, but I feel the same way. I'm glad everyone seems to love it, so I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the game, but yeah, it's 100 percent not my thing, and that's pretty disappointing since I loved BotW so much.

I love ascend though. Not sure why, but man, it scratches the hell out of some itch in my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
..... I literally never questioned why blupees came out of them. Just rolled with it, like, yep, that's just what happens when you shoot weird fairy frogs with an arrow.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also I’m trying to slowly get all the outfits. One I’ve seen pictures of but don’t know anything about is the one where its like you are cosplaying a Zonai. I’m very curious about that one.
I don't love that whole set, but the helmet looks awesome with the soldier set.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I use muddlebuds a fair bit, but it's really disheartening to see the discrepancy in how much damage you can take vs various enemies. Seeing a bokoblin soak up like dozens of hits from an enemy that can one or two-shot you is frustrating.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I mainly use the master sword to break rocks.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Docjowles posted:

A real pro ancient FAQ also has a wild rumor about some hidden character or level with no proof because it was 1995 and there was no way to upload screenshots

I miss the days of there being legendary secrets in every game that some kid’s cousin showed him on a sleepover :corsair:
Ok, but there really *was* a secret island with sexy ladies in a hot tub in Toejam and Earl.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I wish you could continue playing after beating the main quest. Let me play in a post-Ganon world, where monsters no longer respawn, and me and my monster crew can go wipe out every last one of them, for real this time.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Docjowles posted:

I completely missed the free cold weather clothing from the tutorial island (I blame having a few beers while playing). So it was quite tilting to eventually learn I didn't actually need to cook 4,000 cold resist meals (or spend 1k rupees which I definitely did not have in the early game) in order to reach the wind temple, lol. Finally looked it up because I was like "there is no way a Zelda game is supposed to be this hard".
If it makes you feel better, I seem to have completely missed the fact that the game apparently guides you in any fashion, because I just sort of went off and did my thing. I completely missed this whole cold weather early in the game issue.

My main complaint is just that they reused the map from BotW, which, I get from a storytelling perspective, but I personally don't care about continuity between games. You can tell me in every single game that Hyrule is shaped different, has different towns, different monsters, different species, etc, because it means I get to discover all those new towns, and all those new spots in the wild. That scratch could have been itched by the Sky Islands or the Depths if they hadn't been so repetitive.

Still, I've put twice as many hours into it as BotW, so it's not as if I hate it or anything.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I found the very last drat light root yesterday. I think I'm done. I finished the main boss a month or so back, the final shrine the other week. I'm not really compelled to do anything else. Maybe it's because I would continuously play BoTW now and then for around 6 years, but honestly I just have no real desire to go back to ToTK like I did Breath. ToTK had a much more compelling story when it comes to Zelda and the back story is great; better final boss, etc. but in the end it just doesn't hold the same place in my heart as BoTW.

Great game though and worth the wait.

Thought I was done, then decided to upgrade all the armor, which as it turns out sucks (gently caress lizalfos tails forever), but because I started it, I would be a fool to stop.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

galagazombie posted:

that was fun but aggravating in how I cared way more about it than Nintendo thought I would. These room shapes are bogus! The Study literally cannot even fit on the house without having a missing wall!
Agreed that the building system is odd, but this isn't strictly true.

Definitely would have been nice to be able to delete or add walls to rooms though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Gamers are definitely ready to handle this with tact and good will.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

bear named tators posted:

1) Is there a place I can go to re-turorialize myself on the whole combat system, kinda like the undying guy in Sekiro?
2) Is there a good place to farm or buy pretty decent swords and bows? There’s so much trash gear in the game.
The answer to both of these questions is Lynels.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Not So Fast posted:

Lynels feel like the worst idea for a tutorial. One thing I'll say after playing ToTK is that I really undervalued Flurry Rush in BoTW, getting that off is a massive boon for combat. Practice dodging backwards and side to side with the Bokoblins as they really telegraph their attacks.
I honestly feel like the Lynels are the most telegraphed attacks. Obviously the stakes are a bit higher if you mistime something vs with a bokoblin, but I really think they're the easiest enemies to read.

Except for the ones in BotW with the gigantic hammer. For some reason I could never figure them out.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I think I waited too long to finish the main quest. By the time I got there, I had enough hearts and upgraded armor that, even though I felt like I did a piss poor job in the final fight, his hits just didn't really affect me much. I didn't successfully parry or dodge, I just soaked up every hit and stood there hacking away at him.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

I think this generation of Zeldas benefits so much from discovery, both in the world and in learning how the mechanics and physics play together, that if you're going to read extensive guides and spoilers you might as well just play something else.
An incredibly true statement about BotW, but a significantly less true statement about TotK for anyone who played BotW.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

AfricanBootyShine posted:

The engine limitations are understandable, what I said felt arbitrary were the limitations set in the name of balance.
The range on ultra hand is maddening. Want to bring the vehicle you made up a very small cliff that's in your way? Unacceptable.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Fifty Three posted:

Yeah I don't wanna go back and reinstall BotW just to test it out but the way I remembered it a dodge is a dodge, there wasn't a match-direction-to-attack requirement which was my problem for most of TotK
I also don't want to go back to test it, but my memory is the opposite. At least with lionels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The Maroon Hawk posted:

My “doing it the hard way” story: in BotW I somehow didn’t notice that the embers on the torch change direction, or didn’t realize it was significant, or something - so I spent probably a good hour doing trial and error, memorizing which trees to turn at and which direction would or wouldn’t warp me back to the start :v:
Huh, it never occurred to me to look at the embers, I just watched which way the fog was blowing.