Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Barreft posted:

oh thank god mods ftw

Streamlined Repetitive Events
https://gamebanana.com/mods/446768

Gotta test this out

This sounds joyless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Barreft posted:

I would NEVER skip Hestu's dance!

Well... okay then, I GUESS.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So, I'm pretty sure that the reason they start you off underground isn't just to set up Ganondorf as a threat, it also implies that the world state is the same as your completed BotW file. Which it is, technically, until Zelda's trip to the past and messing with the timestream.

The Light Dragon wasn't always there until is was.
The Sheika towers and shrines were always there, until they weren't.
All the people Link helped were still helped, but the details are fuzzy now.
Zelda never went back in the past to take part in the Imprisoning War, until she did and hosed up the timestream so bad that the Shiekah stuff got retconned out of existence and the Zonai took on a bigger role.
Calamity Ganon was still around, and defeated by Link and Zelda. Their past is still the same, though it's been fuzzied to conform to the new reality.

TL;DR: I read time travel in the Land of Hyrule as being more like Looper than Deja Vu. (Feel free to substitute better/different stories with similar time travel if you want.)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

socialsecurity posted:

The Shiekah didn't get retconned, several characters talk about it, there are some Guardian remnants still around too.

The Shiekah all still live in Kakariko, obviously, and the Guardians were all a problem, but Zelda's interference has made things play out a different way. We're (probably) never going to know for sure, this just makes sense to me to explain what the game presents.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

No it’s pretty clearly a closed loop kind of time travel story. Zelda always helped seal Ganondorf, Zelda-dragon has always been above the cloud barrier recharging the master sword, etc.

It's a closed loop now. It began at the beginning of TotK.

Augus posted:

the actual confusing part is what calamity ganon is supposed to be

mycot posted:

Calamity Ganon and TOTK Ganondorf are basically two different interpretations of the Ganon concept but the fact that they coexist and have no relation to each other feels very strange.

It's all Ganondorf. They're all the same guy. It shakes out differently, as well as all the differences between TotK and BotW, based on whether or not they're in the closed loop.

Whatever other game you feel would make more sense in the loop or outside of it, do that.

Like Shiggy said, it doesn't really matter, time in Hyrule is kinda broken and if you're having fun, you're having fun.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

That’s not how closed loops work

It's the bootstrap paradox, and Zelda is the Sage of Time.

It's also very much like the Knot from the Netflix show Dark.

None of the TotK stuff happened until it has always happened, making some of the other stuff that totally happened not things that happened in the same way if they happened at all. That's time travel in the Land of Hyrule, baby!

Also yeah, it's all of secondary importance to the self-contained story each Zelda game tells. Link doesn't row, you see. Link doesn't row.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

There’s no evidence for this at all, and there’s evidence of the closed loop theory (Ganondorf knowing Link and the Master sword because Rauru told him about them right before being sealed, the two blocked murals that feature Zelda, ect.) so

The evidence is BotW, and how they completely avoid showing you that post-Calamity Ganon world state before Zelda does her thing.

It is now currently a closed loop and it is a partially erased/healed timeline because of it. BotW absolutely happened with all it's crazy Sheikah and Calamity Ganon nonsense, but also now TotK happened and overwrote some of that.

Zelda's full title is the Sage of Timey-Wimey Bullshit and you are meant to enjoy the ride.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Runcible Cat posted:

We're all ignoring the true Sage of Timey-Wimey Bullshit, the dude who cleared out Link's extradimensional wardrobe and dumped the contents in dozens of chests in caves all over Hyrule long enough ago that his signal banners are all manky and faded and his exploits are the stuff of rumour; Misko the Fashion Bandit.

Well if you have the Triforce you get to make wishes like that.

On the wind, you can hear their song...

K O O L O O L I M P A H

D O N' T S T E A L T H E M

When Link went to the nightmare land of Terminus, he... brought something back.

Something bad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Asterite34 posted:

As hilarious as I find the image of Tingle doing the equivalent of eating pennies all day, it's actually way more hosed up than that

It turns out "being Tingle" is a horrible curse inflicted on people by a Mammon-esque demon of greed named Uncle Rupee who enslaves poor dupes into empowering him by giving him Rupees in exchange for one day granting them entry into the paradise of "Rupeeland" (actually a horrifying Hell)

Okay, so... how do the magic words fit into this picture? What will happen to Tingle if someone steals them? Did he actually create them?

Sab0921 posted:

How does the spear help with the butt talus?

You poke it in the butt from the ground, like bawk said.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, y'all, I have a favor to ask.

I hated this game so much I gave it up, but I want to give it another chance.

I did the tutorial area, explored a little, made my way to the Wind temple and beat it, and just gave up because I wasn't having any fun. The powers were so much worse than BotW.

Losing all of the tools I had -- the runes, especially -- really took the wind out of my sails and then the underground was just like Prime 2's Dark Aether, which also made me give that game up. No more durian was a big blow too.

Without story spoilers, can y'all just give me some challenge-ruining advice? How to farm rupees, the essential upgrades, where I should go, etc.? Because the alternative is just never playing it again, and I hate that idea.

You can find a lot of neat weapons if you poke around in Hyrule Castle. If you go to enough shrines you will eventually get a lot of hearts and stamina. Why don't you... figure out how to wake up the Great Fairies and figure out their whole deal? That will also really help with survivability.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Unless I'm very much mistaken, the Poe shop inventory expands in a similar way to the Great Fairy Fountains. The more you've activated, the better your options are.

And you can definitely only have one each of the unique weapons at a time; you'll have to break that Bigoron Sword before the Poe statue in Lookout Landing (or elsewhere) will let you buy another, for instance.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Alxprit posted:

I think the issue is that people need to decide when they are done with the game, rather than a linear game funneling you into it over time. And it's hard to decide to say "I'm ready to be done," as a personal thing.

When you beat Ganon, you are done with the game. It's really as simple as that. You can keep playing because you enjoy it, but you're done when you hit credits.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There's a LOT in these newer Zelda games. Trying to do everything will probably burn you out.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The game actually mocks you if you manage to collect them all

No, you see, it's a great honor, in Japan, to be awarded with a golden one of those.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

My father was a fisherman. I've lived by the ocean all my life. I've caught big Atlantic cod. Let me just say, gently caress Fishing in Videogames.

I agree, but for completely different reasons. Fishing, mining, planting and harvesting, crafting: these are all Chores, and I play video games to escape Chores.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So those dragons are the Goddeses, huh.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

the bug kid gets better? what the gently caress

I didn't think he was THAT sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Mineru was actually the third sage I found. It wasn't intentional at all. I wanted to check out that area and just fell right into the quest. At the time, I thought it was just going to be another shrine, or maybe something lame like "Bug Catching Kid's Net" or "Tunic from Zelda II - Link's Adventure."

The what now?