Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

The same map. Continues to be a letdown, yeah. I know there are sky islands, but not like, a whole Hyrule worth of sky islands. I won't be wondering "I wonder what's on the other side of those bluffs," I'll know it's the desert.

Am wondering what new fresh fuckery they put on eventide though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

One thing that I'm super excited about now is puzzles. I love BotW's approach, every puzzle feels so tactile, like you're a kid playing with toys (even if a few shrines were a tad undercooked). They seem to expanding that even further. I imagine dungeons will have the tools you need for a necessary vehicle locked away behind smaller puzzles or combat, but you'll be able to skip some pieces with cleverness and a touch of jank.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Wondering if stamina won't be as important because so much of your vertical traversal will be with the abilities. Perhaps you can choose to upgrade hearts, stamina, or battery life?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Mourning Due posted:

Anyone have any good Zelda podcast recommendations?

I watch Zeltik's vids on YouTube and really enjoy the balance of them between gameplay and lore discussion.

Another Zelda podcast is good, everyone involved just seems super friendly, and they're fans, not experts. Different fun themes and respectful top ten lists.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Kassad posted:

It's the name of a set of ruins in the jungle area in BotW. I think it was also mentioned in one of the official guides or artbooks?

Also one of the barbarian armor pieces says it.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Imo the effect of hearty ingredients should be "let the hearts overflow if the strength of the other ingredients pushes you over."

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Ytlaya posted:

The Korok have been infected by Malice. Instead of finding them, you must exterminate them.

This is a darker, more adult Zelda game. I hope you're prepared.

Hestu died as he lived (nakey).

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Mustached Demon posted:

I decided to give master mode a go before tears comes out. This is significantly harder than I thought it'd be. Well taking enemies head on is. "Hit da bricks" and "bomb off cliff" strategy got me through most of the plateau. Now I'm just snagging shrines and other things I don't need to fight enemies head on for. Slowly gathering power. Sneak attacks seem to waste monsters all quick like.

I steam-plat'd Elden Ring I can do this, right?!

In master mode you will still be able to break it two by late game and be OP, easily.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Judge Tesla posted:

I fail to see the problem with the world map being reused, it's a huge loving map and I will call bullshit on anyone who is familiar with every single nook and cranny, for me I am interested in seeing how familiar territory has been changed over the years since BOTW and what's now waiting for me there.

I dunno man, a huge part of the whole experience is new ways to get lost and new poo poo to gawk at, amd nothing we've been shown really seems to suggest that there's a whole new game's worth of new stuff to do so with.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

I guess at this point it feels like this game is just going to be BotW but better, which is great and all, but where will that leave BotW? Just TotK but worse? Will there be any reason to replay BotW? If TotK has a distinct identity outside of BotW+, they certainly havent shown it.

Not that I'm not going to play the poo poo out of it, but the reused map is still going to be a disappointment. I've climbed death mountain, it can't possibly feel as special when we do it again to deal with those malice tendrils or whatever.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

My Second Re-Reg posted:

At what point in the leadup to this game did people come to believe we weren't going to be, at least in part, exploring Hyrule?

No, the issue is that we already explored it. I hope caves/sky islands are a whole game's worth of exploration, but if that's the case, they certainly haven't demonstrated it.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

No, the issue is that we already explored it. I hope caves/sky islands are a whole game's worth of exploration, but if that's the case, they certainly haven't demonstrated it.

My best hope is that I'm thinking in terms of surface area when the actual exploration will be in volume; like, not enough sky islands to get a whole new Hyrule but that the volume is multiplied several times over now that empty air is explorable space.

Still wish they'd built a new map so I can be excited about seeing what's behind those bluffs again.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Mister Facetious posted:

You do know that, unlike real life, nothing prevents Nintendo from modifying vast areas of the map, right?

If they've done that they haven't shown it. Even the area around the woodland tower has the exact same towers and barricades (minus the actual sheikah tower). The dueling peaks tower is in exactly the same place, so presumably all the other stables will be too. I guess the plateau doesn't have snow on it anymore?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

kidcoelacanth posted:

the thing about video games is that it's cool to not know everything before you start playing them

Thr difference of course being that in the trailers for literally 100% of games I've ever seen, it's been all new material, where large swaths of these trailers are "yep, that's Hyrule Field alright."

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Augus posted:

you ever hear of a game called Yakuza?

Oh yeah, forgot about that one (haven't played or really engaged with them at all, just knew they reused maps). How do they make those new each time?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

kidcoelacanth posted:

i did a zero fast travel playthrough of botw a while back and it was really satisfying

It's a game I never want to fast travel in, a nce so much of the content is between point A and point B. The complete lack of bottlenecks means every journey between any two points will lead you to stumbling on something new.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Ytlaya posted:

I probably have more free time than most people, and this would still be way too much for me. Do people seriously do this any time they want to restock arrows or whatever? Just go on a giant marathon to various towns?

Usually my approach to exploration is "teleport to top of tower, look around for something I want to check out and go there."

Maybe it makes more sense during repeated runs where you've already seen most stuff in the game? In that case I could understanding encountering more new stuff through taking weird/tedious routes. But at least for a first play-through, you'll definitely find more neat stuff by actually heading towards stuff that looks neat at a distance (and the game itself supports this with the towers + ability to mark stuff with the camera). Usually when I head off in a random direction, the most I'll find is "a place with some high-tier cows to kill."

You happen to run across enough stables that restocking arrows isn't really something that you have to go out of your way to do.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Ytlaya posted:

This would be really nice. I'll never wear something like the big anti-flame suit. I always used alternatives to that, even if they required tediously crafting elixirs.

I kind of like when games make you wear whatever works best, regardless of driplessness. Your outfit signals purpose rather than style.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Faron's pretty important, all told. It has several shrine quests, at least two with Kass, a goddess spring, eventide, a tower. Easiest place to farm hearty ingredients, with the durian trees.

Area north of lost woods feels much less important. Pretty much nothing of note along the central-north border.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw a few posts now saying caves are back in a big way and I wanted to ask where was that confirmed outside one of the two cutscenes being in one

Not really saying it's impossible but the only caves I remember were little holes with a shrine in them in 1 and I don't recall seeing anything about them in 2

There was a trailer with a wide shot of an before-unseen location that people are speculating is underground because of an -oblin mining operation and what appear to be giant mushrooms. Another trailer shows a hinox chasing link through a tunnel.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

I'm told Lurelin is really great for little kids first getting into games (like, 4-6 range). They can cook, catch fish, grab some crabs, and just generally play house in a chill zone and maybe go an an adventure if they're feeling brave.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

After some thought, I'm less worried that TotK will seem like "glorified DLC" for BotW than I am that BotW will look like an early beta test for TotK. Like, it almost seems like TotK is the game they wanted to make but knew it would take a decade so they released the half-finished version with the map and physics system halfway through development.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Mister Facetious posted:

Full of bugs, random crashing, the devs only doing the bare minimum work to patch it into a playable state, selling bug ridden dlc, and expecting fan modders to fix their lovely work for them years after release?

As true as all of this is, anyone who claims that Skyrim isn't one of the best games ever made is kidding themself. Players at pretty much any skill level can be having a dope fantasy adventure within five minutes, and you don't need to carefully craft your build since the game just automatically just levels up the playstyle you naturally go with. It's intuitive, accessible, and cool, and there's a reason it single-handedly defined what gaming is to this day.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Lunatic Sledge posted:

this not only describes a whole bunch of games before Skyrim, it even describes other games in Skyrim's own series

it is definitely one of the games ever made

Morrowind's systems are a *lot* more obtuse than Skyrim's, and lots of builds (like magic) are unusable unless you do your homework on how to do it properly. Oblivion is a broken mess of a game where you're not leveling up your playstyle as you play because leveling normally makes you gradually weaker compared to the enemies. I prefer Morrowind on vibes grounds, but claiming that what makes Skyrim great is present in the previous games is demonstrably wrong.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm sorry, but I think that's insane. Name one feature of Skyrim which was actually genuinely novel.
Skyrim was, and is, a Good Game, but it contained almost zero actual innovation -- it was fundamentally the same game as Oblivion, only more polished.

And I certainly don't think it's reasonable to claim that it "defined what gaming is" -- if you really stretched you might contend that it bears some of the responsibility for the prevalence of open-world design which is exemplified in the shifts made by major franchises such as Souls, Zelda and Halo away from linear level-based worlds, but I would say they owe more to the Ubisoft open-world lineage, which arguably begun with the original Assassin's Creed back in '07, or Far Cry 2 in '08, predating Skyrim by several years -- none of them contain the degree of granularity or interactivity that Skyrim did; that is something which remains the province of Bethesda's games, and has not had a significant influence on industry-wide design.

I don't think I could name the one defining feature. Instead, I'd point to the combination of open-world RPG design with its pick-up-and-play accessibility.

Nobody talks about anything as like, "the Far Cry 2 of the steampunk genre," but BotW but was "Hyrim."

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

skyrim is definitively the most accessible rpg ever made but other than that, which isn't nothing, there's nothing about it that elevates the genre imo

It's not just not nothing, it's everything. No game with its breadth of scope had ever felt less like homework until BotW came along.

The caveat is GTA, I guess, but Morrowind ended up being the mold for more open worlds than GTA 3 did and they came out around the same time.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Martman posted:

no one has ever said this before this post. not even once

Now that I'm thinking about it it might have been Skyrule.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I want to live in your dimension where Morrowind became the standard for open worlds, it sounds way better than the one I live in with quest markers and compasses and enemy red dots and 5/9 Collected on the right side of the screen

I mean in terms of map design, large swaths of nature interspersed with towns of varying sizes, with quest givers in towns and quest objectives in nature. GTA 3 is often pointed to as the first modern open world, but the world's themselves look more like Morrowind.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Mister Facetious posted:

They designed an offensive magic system that gets WORSE than physical combat as the world scales with your level lol

This is true of the destruction school but the other magic schools level p well. It's a shame that Pure Battlemage is off the table, but the build diversity is still wild. The character my SO plays is like playing an entirely different game than my character.

(People say "but everyone's just a stealth archer" but that's not really true, everyone minors in stealtharchery while majoring in something else.)

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

The BotW world doesnt really require looking at a map, it's very easy to get oriented just scanning for familiar landmarks

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

MokBa posted:

I just saw the Mario movie and there was maybe one Zelds reference in it. (Biggish spoilers) Mario's dad is totally based on Talon/Tarin from OoT/LP, who — as we know — is based on Mario.

I think I saw link's cycle as one the options on the Mario Kart machine.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Unlucky7 posted:

And that is BotW done and dusted, 6 years after the fact. Now to wait a month.

That DLC dungeon is legit S-tier, not gonna lie.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

I think OoT is still drat playable. If anything feels less than modern it's the structure and some of the more obtuse overworld puzzles (like feeding a fish to the whale to get it to open its mouth), but combat (while obviously less refined than anything nowadays) still just *works.*

It's no Super Mario 64 though, that is a game anyone can play today and agree that it's a GOAT contender, it's lost zero of its playability and fun in thirty years.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Gonna have to disagree on this - I adored SM64 at launch, it was the first game I ever 100%ed, but I tried to get back into it when I got 3D All-Stars and after the nostalgia rush of the first few worlds wore off I just could not get back into it. It’s currently sitting at 30ish stars in my copy of 3dAS, where it will likely stay forever.

Galaxy, on the other hand…:kimchi:

64>Galaxy, no question. Where Galaxy rewards your ability to go in a straight line real good, 64 rewards your ability to explore every corner of its stages.

Also, Galaxy has that stage where you have to bomb all those garbage piles, which blows and is harder than any FromSoft in the worst possible way, and 64 doesn't, which I think puts it even further ahead.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

What's this about this lady moving in with the plan to be in a relationship? That seems like an unusual situation.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Timeline is fun, imo, it's fodder for nerds to argue about and I'm a nerd who likes to argue. It doesn't really matter, the lore always comes last after gameplay and vibes, but the thread of something there is fun to pull.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Khanstant posted:

Considering Link can beat Calamity Ganon right after leaving the Plateau, not even bother with the divine beasts, it's clear their defense plan has some really misplaced priorities and Divine Beasts are nothing but a liability. They should either make more Links or find a way to turn him into four different colour Links because it's really the only weapon they have at all.

I do appreciate the degree to which the people of Hyrule understand Ganon Protocol by the time of BotW. Link was already known to be the Link well before Ganon'e return, presumably by some Lama-esque infant ritual. They know to keep the chosen one around, and actively go looking for him.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Vikar Jerome posted:

Only good thing WW has going for it is the artstyle. Bad zelda game otherwise.

Combat is easy but extremely satisfying, the only one that truly lets you mow down enemies by the dozen. Dungeon puzzle rooms slap, particularly the command melody stuff, though I wish dungeons were unified rather than puzzle room after puzzle room. Story is best in the franchise without question, whatever is second best is waaaaay down. The open world is amazing (I love the sailing, pretty much never fast travel). Music was franchise-best until BotW.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Much as I like Sad Ganon Covets The Wind iunno if I'd rank it that far above Majora. Or LA.

Majora fair. Link's Awakening is among the worst, imo, nothing happens, the whole story is "find the eight things" with no development in between. It's a fun game, but it's really just an excuse for neat dungeons, not a compelling story in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Khanstant posted:

I think realizing Marin and everyone else was gone might've been the first time I teared up at a game. In my heart Marin is the one for Link, and even though I know there are infinite Links, ai still have him just roll past all the Zelda's and rutos and malons of the worlds. Link's soulmate is just a dream, probably why Ganon can never stay sealed. Link is missing the middle of the triforce because the fish woke up.

Oh come on. You talk to her like, three times in the entire game.