Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve been playing Minish Cap on the GBA app on my Switch. Zelda is good, y’all.

So have I actually. I actually bought the GBA version several years ago to play on the DS I bought for Phantom Hourgrlass, but never managed to make it to the second dungeon, and stopped playing. Got the Switch version, started playing two weeks ago at a car repair appointment, and it's been a blast so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

On the other hand, Lynel weapons/bows/shields are some of the most badass in the game, so it's impossible to say if Lynel fights are worth it or not they are

Yeah, basically, if you're only attacking them with a melee weapon while mounted, you can get down to just losing Bow Durability and time.

And hey, look. There's a brand new 3x or 5x bow on the ground now.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Make yourself a thirty-minute defense or murder meal, before entering, whichever you're feeling the most lacking on.

Shiekah slate set to Detect Chests all day, every day.

Immediately crouch upon entering a room; this will give you time to see what you're up against before it detects you. Ideally, this is when you should eat food.

Never eat in a room where everything is dead. There are safe rooms, where you can restock and cook, and you will be annoyed if you do some panic healing and scarf down some raw buffing food just before you hit one.

Rock-Hard Food is still a quarter heart. If you're sufficiently desperate, you can bomb trees, and cook the lumber if you find a cookpot.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 10, 2023

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Is there any way to tell who's Yiga beyond just like, memorizing which NPCs are real?

Real Hylians almost always have places to be; they're either at someplace important, or on the way to or from somewhere important.

Only the Yiga have time to stand around at random roadsides forever.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I finally found the last great fairy and started maxing out my gear and...uh...they really lean into the innuendo

Ever notice how Endura Carrots are scattered around Fairy Fountains, but hidden from the fountain behind rocks and trees?

It's almost as if someone large who had to stay in the fountain picked all the ones they could reach... for some reason.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Okay I actually looked into it and while Blood Moons can be triggered by memory nearing its limits, they are also somewhat scheduled, to the point where one guy at Dueling Peaks Stable can tell you during the day if that night will have a Blood Moon. The more you know!

He also freaks out when a Blood Moon actually happens.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

"My son drowned, why didn't you do anything?"
"The weird guy by the food truck said there's going to be a blood moon, so your son should respawn during that."

"What are you saying?! My son wasn't a monster!"

"Well, he did actually die, right? So I'm going to have to disagree with you on that."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

As someone who left the thread in late April, and went low contact on Zelda youtube and articles until I beat the game yesterday, I'm still getting used to zonai-wing shields allowing ground-level bullet-time jumps.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I don't know man. Everyone says there are arrows everywhere and I'm constantly low on arrows.

Arrows are in almost every wooden crate. Almost every Stable has those wooden crates. Every stable has a shrine nearby. Some of them also have a free axe for you, many of them will have an axe blade at the Hudson Stand nearby.

Every time I feel like I'm running low on arrows,, I do a tour of all the stables, and get over a hundred arrows in about ten minutes for free.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Harriet Carker posted:

I'm like 70 hours in and I think the only time I ever rode a horse was for one of the bandmember quests for about 20 seconds.

I did spend a somewhat enjoyable hour towing a cart around a sunny Hyrule field towing a cart and annoying every foe I came across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfW_CRF5yyk

Also been toying with the Construct Head + Mirror + Beam Emitters combo in the desert. Pins the target in place while the beams go to work.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Item Getter posted:

Yeah, that's how I found both of them and got the "oh you already did everything" dialogue, but it's unlikely.

I don't think finding the Master Sword is unlikely without hitting up Hyrule Castle, though. The questline there is practically laid across your path, and all over the UI.

Finding the Spirit Temple a little less so, but I also stumbled across it out of ordinary map inquisitiveness leading into its questline before deciding I didn't want to "sequence break" on my first playthrough.

Personally, my biggest regret was that I was way too scared of the Depths early on, and put off exploring down there for much too long.

Also running into the Floating Coliseum first, and assuming that all of them were like that, so I avoided entering them all until last week.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Docjowles posted:

1. agreed although tbh I usually just use Yunobo and/or bomb arrows if I have to destroy a huge rear end wall that's going to eat multiple hammers

I tend to use Riju; Cooldown's longer than Yunobo, I think, but she's easier to aim and doesn't expend a resource like bomb arrows.

Edit: The final sage is pretty good for a quick jaunt across Gloom, which is what I wind up using her most often for. Also beam emitters seem to last quite a long time on her, if not being particularly damaging.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 27, 2023

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

That's just a theory, I decided not to wait for a Blood Moon to find out, but there were definitely at least a couple of places that Wills were SUPPOSED to be that just had a Construct and a chest on them and the chest got knocked off during the fight.

Had this happen once when huinting down Sage's Wills when I bullet-time multi-shot-bomb-arrow murdered a Construct with a Sage's WIll Chest while dropping down on its arena, and couldn't find the chest I'd seen on its shoulder afterwards, even with Chest Sensor+ going.

I walked off the arena, looking for anything else to pick up, then turned back and the Chest Sensor+ went off; the Sage's Will chest was back on the Arena.

It seems that if the chest (or anything stuck to a Construct) gets knocked off during the fight, once the Construct is dead, all you need to do is turn around and walk away for a few dozen meters. When you turn back, the object will be back on the dias.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

space uncle posted:

That’s not the 3 ball shrine, the 2 ball shrine is pretty easy.

3 ball shrine has 3 balls of different sizes that ask you to construct an asymmetrical axle of some kind to roll down a curved hill into a target. None of my combinations worked very well.

YouTube videos have told me the large ball targets in that and similar shrines can be cheesed with bomb flower arrows, but I haven't verified.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, you have to be really careful because the range for the camera sucks rear end and they are skittish.

Blupees are practically statues compared to those blasted Sparrows. Spent something like half an hour Sneaksuiting and trying to get close enough to get a good Compendium picture on Sand Sparrows before the flighty birds spotted me.

Found a good site once, painstakingly got close, and just before I could get the identifier cartouche invoked reliably, got jumped by an Electric Lizalfos and a Electric Chuchu.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Personally, I splashed down in the pond across the road from Bottomless, climbed a nearby hill, spotted the smoke rings to Riverside Stable, and booked it over there., because I figured it would be a safe place with a Shrine nearby, from BoTW experience.

I _think_ everyone there was talking about Lookout Landing, but it's been nearly three months, so I don't quite remember. What is clear is that, after doing the shrine, I then headed for Lookout Landing cross country, probably following the Quest Marker.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

When I need money, I go on a clockwise tour of killing all the Rare Taluses on the surface, then sell almost all the Diamonds. Climb/Ascend on top and spin-to-win in one cycle, fuse Rare Talus heart to a decent two-hander (or Spear for the one that has the node on its back), move on to the next one. I usually have more Rare Talus Hearts than I know what to do with.

I almost entirely ignore ore nodes. Zonite nodes I go after if the area is dense enough, but that's usually because I'm hitting up mines and there's always a Rock Hammer there. That said, I wish I'd tried using the Hylian Shield with a Talus Heart to bash nodes before.

When I need to break rocks, it's Yunobo ff the area is wide enough and near enough to the ground, Riju if it's not wide enough or an inconvenient angle.

Hunted down the last of the Bubbulfrogs. It was less tedious than I was expecting. Definitely a lot of stuff is more signposted in ToTK than BoTW. The biggest annoyance was that I interpreted Koltin's message of "I can't sense any more Bubbulfrogs" when I was down to about 16 as "You've found all the Bubbulfrogs in this region, go elsewhere." instead of "You can't use me to locate Bubbulfrogs anymore." Wasted some time looking for nonexistent Koltin locations.

Also learned that Link doesn't fall when using the Pura Pad Pinscope in midair, paraglider or not, which helped a lot on pinpointing the last dozen caves.

A bit annoyed that I never really got a good face on-image of a Bubbulfrog for the Compendium; They were almost always on a wall or ceiling when I found them, and in the rare cases where they weren't, I was never able to move in front of them in time to get a good face-on image before they saw Link. Got a decent profile image off the last one, though.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Floating Coliseum was the last major thing I had left to do, and went back there yesterday. Still pretty much a slog, but significantly easier than I was expecting, because I'm playing deep endgame.

Gleeoks are also easier than I was expecting.

I stumbled across a build in a youtube video that's just three stone slabs put together into a corner, so you've got two walls and a roof in a corner. For nine Zonite, you can put this on the battlefield in front of a Gleeok (though not too close), and it will block all its beams as you hide behind it, then ascend through the roof when you're ready, jump off for bullet time, and start popping off those bow-shots, and run behind it again for safety.

What I normally do, though, is farm Keese Eyballs by heading into caves in the morning with a multi-shot bow and bomb arrows drawn, and blowing myself up along with the swarm.

Using those with decent multi-shot bows knocks down Gleeoks very quickly, with only vague aiming required.

I wear the appropriate Shockproof/Freezeproof/Flameproof armor, in that order of priority. I consider dropping weapons to be the worst potential outcome.

Need to stop by Lookout Landing to pick up my medal.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Finally deciding to go back and get the last remaining unmissable Monster picture, the endgame boss Demon Dragon. A bit miffed that they're not registered as a Monster by Kilton, so I cant get a statue of them to complete my Ganon display.

Luckily, threw down a Travel Medallion at the last possible location on my first playthrough, so I could go back and skip all the catacombs stuff and straight to the boss fight sequence.

Things that I did this time that I wish I'd done the first time:

- Ignore the Dark Armor Set, and rely on a 10-minute 3-Heart warding meal, with my best available armor (Fully-upgraded Amber Earrings, Champions' Leathers, and Soldier's greaves.)
- Make Sunny Meals that heal exactly as many hearts as they crack gloom hearts. Three Sundelions, 1 Prime Meat and 1 Gourmet Meat worked well for 9 gloom heal, 9 heart heal.
- Multi-shot bow with Dazzlefruit and Puffshrooms pretty much made the Monster Forces battle a cakewalk. Did lose some hearts to gloom attacks early on, because I thought, wrongly, that Majora's Mask would help.
- Master Sword with Silver Lynel Saber horn worked well, though I can't help but wonder if the Scimitar of the Seven with the Silver Lynel Mace Horn would have gone on better. Been primarily saving that for Mounted Lynel fights, but given that you keep everything you take into the endgame fight, I probably should have risked it.
- And of course, Single-shot-bow + Hover Platform Arrow for getting a good headshot from the Demon Dragon. I didn't think it was possible at all to get a good shot the first time, since you can't photo while you're falling, gliding, or climbing, and except when you're on the Demon Dragon itself or at the top of the arena on the Light Dragon, you're typically doing one of those three things. I need to try something similar with the Light Dragon. Probably should have tried it during the fight.

Then I bought the last three Boss Monster shots I missed: Master Khoga, Sludge Like, Seized Construct , completed the Filling Out the Compendium quest, and just need to hunt down all the remaining weapons..if possible. I think the Forest-Dweller's Bow might be permanently missable.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Been there, opened that, forgot to take a picture.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

If Bubblfrogs are their own species, and not just blupees that under the effects of bubblgems, it's a bit weird that Link is on a quest to make an endangered creature extinct in Hyrule.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I never really thought about it specifically, but now I wonder what all flora and fauna mysteriously disappeared between games. I think durians being harvested to extinction was the only one I really noticed on my own.

Great Horned Rhinoceroses, as mentioned above, and Hearty Blueshell Snails.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Runcible Cat posted:

You can get medals for it.

I'm reluctant to call it extermination when all of those monsters will be back after the next Blood Moon.

They don't even have to be all dead simultaneously; as long as you've defeated every monster of that type at least once, you'll get the medal when you let the questgiver know.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Zelda wakes up while falling, starts screaming and flailing, then stops after a few minutes, looks around, and eventually sees Link, also still falling, but engrossed in some game on the Purah Pad. He waves, then goes back to the game.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

The first time I went down there, I ran from The White lynel fight with a mask but took some damage when something else saw through it. I subsequently Noped out when Gloom Hands showed up, because I hadn't gotten confident.

The second time, I unmade the White Lynel with an ancient Arrow, killed the Gloom Hands left a Travel Medallion at the latest possible point at the dropoff to the Monster Forces battle and went on to beat the game.

Since then, Travel Medallion.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Whelp. Started the evening with four shrines left to go, and conveniently, four shrine quests left to go, so I figured this would be an easy way to finish out the shrines. Used a guide to find the starting points for the last four shrine quests but planned on not going any further with the guide than getting the initial quests.

Found out by way of talking to the NPCs that I'd already done 3/4 of the remaining shrine quests :v:

Now I have three more shrines to go and no idea where to find them :mad:

game owns

I'd assume you've noticed, but if you haven't... Assuming your missing shrines aren't on Sky Islands...

Every lightroot in the Depths is beneath a shrine on the surface. Since I'd basically been flycycling though the Depth popping every lightroot, finding my last few shrines started with using the map like a blink comparator by flipping between the two maps and going to the places where I spotted a missing shrine, or exploring the darkness in the Depths until I found the lightroot I hadn't lit, then popping to the surface and looking around. There are, admittedly, some tricky chasms to find that are the only paths into their sections of the depths.

From there, it was three more realizations,:
0. Some shrines that are quest-attached won't trigger the Shiekah sensor until you've assembled the Shrine.

1. Subterranean surface shrines are typically attached to a nearby cave (though not always the nearest one) so the game's built-in cave-finding method worked for almost all of those. Use the map in Outskirt Stable, hunt down the cherry trees , offer any fruit, and explore the lit-up areas during the following 24 hours.

2. However' that's not always the case. Luckily, the game has another method for finding undergrounds chambers Wells are a compendium photo item, and undiscovered wells trigger the Purah Pad Sensor

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Gwely Mernans posted:

The southern shrine specifically requires you to dive bomb it iirc

None of them do. I've had all the shrines found for about a month now, and until seeing these last few pages of posts, I was convinced it was impossible to enter the area from above.

Edit: Looking at my Heroe's Path., and looking up shrine quests again. I was wrong. Nevermind.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 21, 2023

maltesh
May 20, 2004

There are apparently no refights for that. I also assumed there would be, and didn't make sure to snap a compendium picture during the battle.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I wonder; are you more likely to get lizalfos tails as drops if you kill them with a cutting weapon?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Heh, was watching a Youtube video of someone going through the Lightning Temple, and it showed some locations I didn't remember. Turns out, on my playthrough, I'd used Ascend in the entrance passage to the Lightning Temple and played it through to completion. Wound up skipping an entire floor and never noticed.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

They even brought planks to fix the bridge.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Donkringel posted:

A nice thing about finishing up the remaining shrines was that most of them were hidden in a cave puzzle or something, so I got a fun little underground romp and then I didn't need to do any shrine bullshit, just Rauru's blessing. Funny enough the second to last shrine I had to do was literally sitting out in the open, easy to see. I checked heros path and apparently I just never noticed it, because gamers don't look up.

I remember that shrine, if it's the one I'm thinking of... primarily because I was tracking shrines with the Shiekah sensor early on, and when I started heading that way, I had my first Gloom Hands encounter.

It killed me, then on the reload, I ran up onto a rock and thought I killed it with Bomb Arrows. Clearly I just got out of range because that fight just ended. Ran from every similar encounter afterwards for awhile. Didn't find out about the second phase until I eventually decided to kill another Gloom Hands in a cave the same way.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Poque posted:

Oh yeah then why are all my horses still around :colbert:

Because you left them floating in the stable pocket dimension five years ago when you got the motorcycle and didn't ask for them back, and they're sick of spectral mournful horse noises coming out of the hatch under the desk, so decided to give them to the first guy who asked about them, which also turned out to be you.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

An obscure fact I would have liked to know going in: The Gloom Defense buff doesn't help against gloom-damage-dealing enemies. Gloom splotches, it works fine on. Gloom Enemies, you're better off wearing your best armor and packing balanced Gloom-Healing/Heart-Healing meals if needed.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Built the tank from the third trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHGShqcAHlQ&t=154s

It's basically made out of stone slabs, big wheels, and a shock emitter on a stake on a construct head.

Took it up against some Battle Taluses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ae-c2ECMik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3WNQRVZYAc

It went about as well as could be expected..

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I _think_ I found all the shrines without looking anything up, and if that's the case, it's the first time I've done so in any Zelda game. It's definitely the first time I've gotten all the Heart/Stamina upgrades before beating the game the first time.

I didn't have to look up any lightroots or caves, but I did have to look up the final well.

My current course of action is popping in and filling out the remaining compendium pictures. I'm down to primarily pristine weapons, so I'm running around shoving the trash weapons out of the ghost hands so they can hopefully respawn the weapons I'm looking for.

I also like to get pictures of the weapons propped up naturally in the world, so hoverstones have been a godsend for getting good shots of the pristine weapons in the hands of the Ghost Soldiers.

I used Ultrahand to glue a lot of monster materials to wood to get good shots of them. That's been... okay. The glue globs are much larger on some materials. But what I _should_ have done is fuse the materials to a suitable weapon (unsure which one at this point, possibly should use one of the spears) and ultrahand that somewhere that I can take a good shot.

Captain Hygiene posted:

:laffo:
I forgot about that thing, thank you for showing off its tactical capabilities :patriot:

Yeah, I'd forgotten about it too, until I stumbled across someone's video comparing the trailers to the actual game. and realized how unsuited it was for its ostensible task.

It also rides extremely low on its wheels , like it's constantly in danger of bottoming out.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Not only is fusion free damage, in almost all weapon cases, it's also extra durability.

It also is a way with dealing with properties of certain weapons.

"If anyone here has any reason why the Master Sword and this Gloom Sword should not be joined temporarily in Unholy Fusimony, let them speak now or forever hold their peace."

**panicked electronic noises**

"I'm sorry, that does not count as speaking. I now pronounce you Gloom-Sword-Sword!"

maltesh fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 20, 2023

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Runcible Cat posted:

Also the Kakariko shrine is a combat techniques training one.

One of my significant annoyances of BotW was that you could only do that shrine once per playthrough.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Cheesus posted:

Agreed.

When I get back to BOTW, I'll finish up the Champions Ballad and I admit I'm feeling a little intimidated at the thought of confronting Thunderblight again.

Four words.

"Urbosa's Fury is Ready."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Finally picked up TotK, what are some good early game tips and tricks that people have discovered?

When you see those plinths with Pristine Weapons in the depths?

Always be climbing them and Ultrahanding those crap weapons out of the ghost soldier hands.

Because the way to get them to produce Pristine Other Weapons is to have a Blood Moon respawn it from the same category of weapon, of a type you have already broken, in an appropriate location. (E.g. A plinth under Zora's domain that held a Pristine Traveller's Claymore can respawn a Pristine Zora Longsword, as long as you've broken at least one regular Zora Longsword during gameplay. I think you can also savescum these, but I've never gotten it to successfully work.)

fatsleepycat posted:

Your horses are available somewhere (maybe in the wild), but that's about it.

They're still checked into the stables.