Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

When I saw the fusion power I thought it might make the fights too easy. Then I realized I don't actually care about that it looks fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I would like a new 2D/LA remake-style Zelda. I mean I love BotW and I'm really psyched for TotK but I would like an old-school one too.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mourning Due posted:

I'll admit to having been a bit worried about the reused map, UNTIL I started watching https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy0sOa5_nRO6EC8VKIMALQ1BTfl_FiZLA previously linked in this thread, the minimalist 100% run-through.

I was shocked at how many areas I didn't recognize, in spite of my completing all 120 shrines. Maybe it's just coming at areas from a different angle, but certain minigames I'd never seen, tons of Korok areas I'd never seen, etc.

Combined w the fact that the map is so gorgeous, and I've not played since before lockdown, means I'll be enjoying with fresh eyes. Can't wait!
I was almost done with the game before I stumbled across the golf course.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Ocarina of Time was great. You could argue Link to the Past doesn't hold up for the same reasons. I can beat that in a weekend because I know every puzzle.

The deku tree dungeon stumped (get it?) me as a kid because it didn't occur to me to burn the cobwebs because I didn't think it was possible. Even though you do stuff like that in every previous game. If all else fails try fire. And it was awesome to beat the first dungeon. Don't let current Zelda games negate your feelings of Zeldas past.
I got stuck in the room where you got the slingshot because I didn't see the ladder hanging up on the wall (or I did and didn't put two and two together about what to do about it). I had to wait until the next day to go to the bookstore and read what to do in the player's guide, which I did not buy until I got stuck somewhere else and had to do the same thing again.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I don’t want to know much more about the game before I play it but I don’t think I can resist seeing the trailer.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I want to play the Zelda game now.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Yeah I didn’t care to ride horses much either. I wanted to climb and see everything. The horse worked fine and I had some fun catching and taming them, but I didn’t really have reason to ride them much.

I do wish I could have kept the stalhorse though.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tomorrow night i will play the new Zelda. It is so close finally.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm gonna try to unlock it now.

Edit: drat

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Come on load drat you

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It’s starting bye!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

So happy to be playing Zelda Tears of the Kingdom at last

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I love this game. Zero disappointment. It’s everything i wanted and more and I’ve barely touched the surface i can tell.

Edit: barely touched the surface of the game i haven’t even got off the island yet.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This game is incredible. It's challenging, it's engrossing, it's fun.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Phenotype posted:

So... I gotta say I'm a little bit disappointed with this game. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely A Good Game, and I'll probably put in another 50 hours before I finish it, but to me, it just doesn't feel like Zelda.

I'm just not sure why they went all-in on Ultrahand. I know lots of people love this kind of thing, but it's such a specific mechanic and it's one that I just don't care for, as a rule. Never played Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, or Minecraft, or Terraria or Fortnite or basically any game that asks you to build stuff, I just don't find it to be that fun. And it's so all-encompassing a mechanic that every few minutes, I have to stop being Link and engage the "building stuff" side of my brain. It just feels like it drags everything to a screeching halt every time, especially because it feels so fiddly trying to get pieces to attach at just the right angle and spot. And honestly, Fuse would be a fine concept on its own, but not paired with Ultrahand. It's just too much fiddling around with weapons and rocks and sharp bits from your inventory ON TOP of all the fiddling around with boards and capsules.

Like I said, it's not a bad game at all, and I had a lot of fun doing the first dungeon earlier, which felt a lot more like what I wanted from a Zelda game, but yeah. Most of it just doesn't feel much like Zelda. Running through the open world is cool, exploration feels great, I love that they populated it with so many villagers, I just wish so many of the things that it asks me to do weren't sticking together some boards and a fan in the right combination.
The building is probably my least favorite thing, but I haven’t found I have had to use it too much. I have no interest in building some big complicated machine but I’m enjoying seeing the stuff others come up with.

Admittedly, I haven’t gotten very far so maybe it comes up more later. It was kind of annoying in the first sky Island because that time you absolutely had to build something to get across to another area, but since then it’s mostly optional with the exception of puzzles in shrines which doesn’t bother me.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

DLC wish for me is a Minish world.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tokelau All Star posted:

Consider mixing and matching armors. It's not that tough to pump up one piece each of the Hylian Set, Soldier Set, and Zonaite Set to level 3. Also, eat more mighty bananas meals and try tossing more puffshrooms/muddle buds at the bad guys to make the fighting a little easier until your inventory catches up.
Shooting those boss bokoblins or one of the ones following it with a muddlebud is one of my favorite things to do. Just stand back and watch them fight each other.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I checked last night and I have about 100 hours on this game. I finished BotW in about 100 hours 100%. I haven’t even unlocked the whole map yet in this one, I’ve got maybe half the Depths, and I’ve only done two temples.

It’s just incredible how massive this game is. I’m exploring a lot and in no rush to finish but still I was surprised I had that much time in for how much I know is left.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I wish it did say in the armor menu what you need to upgrade next. I don't want to have to remember to make note of it whenever I visit the Great Fairy, and I don't want to keep visiting them because it takes forever to do anything with them.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Wow, this tutorial with Robbie in his lab loving sucks.
What is the tutorial? I don’t remember having to do much.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Electric Phantasm posted:

You gotta use the shrine finder to find a shrine. What's annoying you can't leave the lab until you pick up a signal and Robbie gives you the go ahead to search outside. But it's also kinda janky because even though I was picking up the trail that wasn't good enough for Robbie.
I must’ve found it before I got there. I had also uncovered enough of the map by the time I got there to get the travel thing.

Edit: I don’t know if that needs spoiling but better safe than sorry.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

loquacius posted:

Dang. I didn't know you could actually help Addison until just now lol
I just thought letting him drop his sign over and over was a little joke the designers made until I saw you were supposed to help him in this thread.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hylian herb

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I just past play the game and have fun.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Akratic Method posted:

Did not know about the flint eater! I've always used fire fruits (or the fire temple reward) to light fires on the rare occasions it's needed, so I've got plenty of flint to try my luck with.
What’s the fire temple reward?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Dictator. posted:

the goron dude leaves a trail of fire
Oh yeah ok I thought I might have missed something.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I like https://www.zeldadungeon.net for walkthroughs.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I always forget I switched armor sets for some task to a lower defense-ranked armor and the next skirmish I get in I get hit hard.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Asterite34 posted:

You aren't missing anything, sometimes the rocks genuinely do just disappear, it's a bug I think

Are you dropping all the rocks down all the chasms in one go, and then going down yourself to corral them all at once? Because the way to reduce the odds of the rocks just despawning is to collect them into the big statue guy one at a time
Yeah I think that happened to me. Also if I got too far away from them they would disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Runcible Cat posted:

Other way round I think - go visit the Temple of Time to get things started.
Don’t you talk to a statue after emptying the water at the ‘entrance’ of the plateau or am I thinking of a different quest?