Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Antigravitas posted:

I can't come up with something witty, just literal "wow_mao" and "Minecraft Map Discord Channel" is funny enough for me. How do you even top that?

The Internet is intensely stupid.

e: leaking classified documents, IN A MINECRAFT CHANNEL

WoW doesn't need a Mao, housing isn't even a thing! :dadjoke:

My name is Lucca, I live on the 2nd floor
I posted lots of secret files, now they won't let me out any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Antigravitas posted:

Improved interconnections are already planned: https://transport.ec.europa.eu/news...t-2022-07-27_en

However, you don't build comprehensive rail infrastructure over night, and rail cannot match the throughput of ships. Ukraine need access to world markets right now.

Integration of Ukraine into the single market is going to lead to some conflicts in the future. It produces a ton of grain, but EU producers are already producing plenty as well. Agricultural policy is a huge area of conflict within the EU, so… that's going to get spicier in the future.

The US/NATO buying Ukrainian grain and then shipping it to Africa on the cheap seems like a good way to counter the influence game Russia is playing in the region. But of course it's not that simple.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Rappaport posted:

Hitler blowing his brains out, Germany divided, and Japan getting nuked twice and surrendering before a peace treaty. And of course the Soviet block forming, and all that other stuff with the "little powers". Could you please clarify what you mean by this allegory? Is Putin's Russia Germany in this example? Japan?

Yeah, basically marching on Belgorad should be kept on the table, but only as a last resort if Putin goes Maximum Hitler after the Russian military is fully shattered.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Tuna-Fish posted:

Not even a little bit joking, precisely this happens a lot every time someone is rounding up undesirables. It's the reason there were so many innocents in US torture prisons in GWOT. It's the reason the purges in USSR spiraled so far out of control. The worst part is that the point someone starts collecting lists, people understand that it's a race to get the people you hate on the list before they do it to you.

Salem witch trials too. Also I gotta tip my hat to OP's post/av combo. :golfclap:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Comstar posted:

I tell you this is all a remake of Kellys Heroes.

We need an all star cast and start burning some bridges.

Well the Belgorod excursion was basically a dime store The Expendables, so...

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

My morning brain read that as Unscrewed Systems and thought "Well that's an improvement for them." :v:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

beer_war posted:

Shortly after that clip:

I cannot wait for Tara Reade to tell us the truth about Vladimir Putin.

Later she talks about prison conditions in the US, as related to her by Maria Butina.

Holy poo poo, when you get Megyn Kelly to call out a right-wing human rights monster...

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Skippy McPants posted:

What is the opposite of a war room? A peace plain?

Seems appropriate for this war: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkTQri3a4Gg

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Shifty Pony posted:

Tanks are called tanks because the UK told nearly everyone involved that the large plates of steel and such they were fabricating were for large mobile drinking water tanks to supply soldiers near the front lines.

Interesting, I believe the proto-tanks were called barrels?

Also lol @ Time, truly The Internet Never Forgets.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Nenonen posted:

This is beyond ridiculous.

There are no enemies in the area anymore so Russian troops have entered pillage mode. Maybe Putin will start stealing washing machine control boards from their own citizens to get components for missiles and drones?

Oh so this is why I got some guy on my feed gushing about how clean and wonderful Mariupol is now thanks to those sweet Russian liberators, huh.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

spankmeister posted:

Oh, things are happening.

Just coming back here from Twitter, and yeah this aged well. :v:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

BabyFur Denny posted:

if they had a bunch of MBTs in Moscow, they would have shown them off at the parade

If it gets out that Putin was saving the good stuff for his personal guards while the troops were dying in Ukraine with Cold War leftovers, things could really get ugly.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Brain65 posted:

More and more I think this stunt was all about money. Russian MoD probably didn't pay the group or withheld some payments because "it took you way too long to clear Bakhmut", subsequently wanted to force Wagner to fold into Army; Prigojin starts s#it to get paid, gets to 140km of Moskow with a full S300 in tow, money changes hands all of a sudden, mercenary group turns back and goes to Belorussia while their 'new recruits they got out of prison' go fight for Russia under new contracts (contracting out of prison being made legal today as well). Putin stays silent the whole day because he knows what motivates Prigojin ($$$) and sees this as a good opportunity to get the upper-hand on a bunch of generals and also see which other generals would betray him.

I was hoping we'd get more of the https://youtu.be/dEbE3fGfF-o experience, but alas.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

mutata posted:

It's technically possible Prigozhin took a ton of LSD and went to the bad place and when he finally came to he was 20 minutes outside of Moscow.

Fear and Loathing in Moscow?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Care to explain what we're looking at here, besides the cheap Elmer Fudd knockoff?

Also just lol and also lmao at taking Lavrov seriously as a negotiator.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

*sighs as I reset the "Days Hours since "What's your line in the sand?" post" sign*

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I remember when "Gunfight at the Explosion Factory" was a joke.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

ShadowHawk posted:

I've heard of landmine-sniffing giant rats -- is there any potential use of animals for pinpointing UXO?

Rodents of unusual sniffitude? I don't believe they exist.

Grape posted:

Turkey: Most likely going to be vetoed by the EU member whose island they half militarily occupy while denying they exist as a sovereign nation. Lmao at Germans thinking they're the real gatekeeper on Turkey.

Wait, this song sure sounds familiar...

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Not in the sense of it being particularly credible as a school of thought, no. there's still extremely a purpose for hard to destroy vehicles and if anything battlefields getting increasingly destructive and dangerous just makes protection more important. Wrt this conflict in particular, we're not actually seeing almost any of what the current upper end of tank survivability actually looks like. Until there's better data on how active protection systems actually fare I wouldn't base all tank doctrines on the performance of tanks in a conflict that is currently 95% Russian tanks.

We're definitely seeing some value in tanks being at least tough enough to let the crew escape after they're blasted.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Paladinus posted:

The justification by Russia, by the way, is probably going to be that a drone manufacturers expo was held there.

As you might imagine, using a ballistic missile to murder a bunch of sales reps with a handful of drones they had with them is not exactly justifiable considering how many civilians would be around.
Once again, very much in line with all other Russian attacks on civilian buildings. Hotels, where maybe some soldiers stayed, restaurants, where maybe some officers dined, shopping centres, where maybe a car park had military trucks parked at, churches that maybe helped raising money for the military, and, of course, the power grid, because electricity can be used for making weapons.

Also apartments because surely there's a Nazi living in there somewhere!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

NHK World is reporting that the Ukrainian pilot known as 'Juice' was part of the *unit* Ghost of Kyiv. Just thought it was interesting seeing that name pop up on a public newscast.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Paladinus posted:

I haven't watched the videos but I think I've been making a similar point here. Putin's ideology, if there is one, is more about being the real Europe or the real Western civilisation, of which America is the most prominent example, than whatever brand of Eurasianism some prefer to focus on. A lot of it is a simple aspiration to be specifically a great Western empire as envisioned by anti-imperialist propaganda. America did terrible things all over the world, therefore, to be great, Russia must do some terrible things or be left behind, etc. This is partly why far-right European parties and people like Tucker Carlson are such mainstays in popular political discourse in Russia. They are viewed as someone who represent that mythical 'real West' thing that Putin wants Russia to be.

This is something I feel the multipolar world advocates are missing: it doesn't work if the other poles just want to do what the eeeeevil unipole was doing. Russia and China have imperial asperations of their own, and BRICS is not the SuperFriends.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Sorry about the old post, but it had to be said:

jaete posted:

I wonder if Starlink could just give Ukraine all the coordinates of all the terminals inside the internationally-recognised borders of Ukraine

I mean, Musk obviously won't help Ukraine, but it should be technically fairly straightforward, as Starlink surely knows where each terminal is

The AFU knows where it isn't, because it knows where it is.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Live footage of Russia distributing the money: https://youtu.be/AkE3benR26M?t=221

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

haddedam posted:

Not only golf carts are serving as front line assault vehicles but now joined by motor bikes and urals.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-separatists-on-motorcycles-appear-assault-ukrainian-positions-outwit-drones-2024-4?op=1

All assaults have failed for very obvious reasons. Infinite russian stockpile of tanks and armored vehicles and it's insane production that is able to cover all losses has a funny way of manifesting itself.

But are they the GOOD motor bikes?

You know, the ones they can play card games on.