Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Jesus christ it's been over a year and this is the third loving thread!

This sucks

Remember when we were innocently trying to read the osint data and piles of bad analysts trying to understand if it's a big preparation for a long bloody war or if it's just putin being a gopnik doing the coward aggro pretend thing

Come on Ukraine do the counteroffensive so we don't need a fourth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
This is another version of the same "African countries are going to adopt the African dinar and overthrow western imperialism", "russian and iran are going to stop using the dollar thus destroying America forever", "Russia and China are going to become allies destroying NATO finally", etc. It's been in the russian political folklore for decades and is wishful thinking with no understanding of economics

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Finland has some nerve to expand NATO all the way to Petersburg. The securities have never been as concerned as this. Time to gently caress up Kazakhstan for this shameless display of backyard meddling

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Folks "Ukrainians at the isthmus of crimea" is a scenario where Ukraine broke the front and took back most of the south with a significant destruction of russian defenses. The political and military implications of that are broad, it's questionable if any mobiks would be willing to stay in Crimea at that point to get hosed up further with no supplies and die instead of getting the gently caress out while the bridge is still there

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Nix Panicus posted:

Whatever you need to tell yourself. But the fact remains the Russians took Crimea in a week with no resistance and held it for nine years with no problems. Plus the older Crimeans will remember the time Ukraine couped their autonomous government and deposed their president and everyone will remember that Ukraine took its frustrations out on the civilian populace through withholding water. In general they appear to prefer Russian rule. Crimea isnt going to greet the invading Ukrainians as liberators, should they even get that far.

Does Ukraine have any kind of plan for the long term occupation of Crimea?

E: Or the Donbass region in general I guess. The Minsk agreements were shams I don't think anyone is going to fall for a third time, so 'autonomous zones' are likely a nonstarter

Some hard truths that are consistently opposite to reality getting dropped by the "russia is never going to invade anybody also america did 9/11" guy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Do journalists get in trouble for looking at supposedly leaked secret documents

Charliegrs posted:

Was Medvedev such a whackjob when he was the "president" of Russia? Like I don't remember him saying anything particularly controversial at the time but maybe he did and it just flew under the radar. Did he go down the same pandemic isolation rabbit hole that Putin did and it broke his brain?

The worst thing he did was the Georgian war which was pretty bad, but he was coherent and fairly charismatic as a president, modern and willing to discuss ideas with the opposition, people were putting in a lot of hope that he would lead the country away from the growing repressiveness of Putin to a more democratic state after decent economic growth and stability were achieved. He did some independent actions trying to align with the West like not going against the Libya intervention and that turned him against the security wing and lead him to being replaced and then sidelined. He really went off the deep end in the last couple of years apparently not finding a place for himself without any competence to be useful for the regime

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

EmployeeOfTheMonth posted:

You would think they learned their lesson after Snowdon but no. The number of special forces in Ukraine and the number of tanks donated need a "0" added at the end but the number of US personnel (and contractors and temps and interns) with access to "sorta-secret" documents needs at least a "0" less at the end. Given the content of the stuff leaked this also does not seem the lowest/lower level of clearance to me, at least not what I would put in those levels.

This is what makes it suspicious to me, if it's a fairly accurate summary with secret information for high brass with some pessimistic evaluations and info on snooping on allies, why does some low level guy have it?

We'll probably not find out but it's still possible this is a controlled leak for some expectation management and public disinfo.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Popete posted:

A Korean airliner was shot down by a Soviet fighter during the height of the Cold War and it didn't result in nuclear war. There has been a number of incidents Hainan Island Incident over the years and it's never resulted in much of anything.

South Korea is not a NATO member

Not saying this would've triggered it if they were, but there's a reason South Korea couldn't start nuclear war even if they wanted to

A better example I guess is mh17

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

What else is it going to take to designate them a terrorist org and bomb their poo poo worldwide?

Osechkin and gulagu.net still doing fantastic work btw

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

. mediazona produces some good work, but is probably the most biased of the russian publications. i should read doxa for extremely zoomer content, but they definitely have no english coverage, and again, i am lazy

...biased towards what? Not imprisoning people?

To contribute, the insider does great osint and publishes opinion pieces and analysis by russian experts and dissidents in both russian and english

Somaen fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 18, 2023

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

bias can fall on either side; that's a normal thing in media analysis. it's the same thing you'd use to describe fox news or mother jones in relation to, say reuters

What sides are there? What's the bias to? Comparing mediazona, a small outlet focused on humans rights, to fox news, a major news network, is not correct

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
I'm not asking for US based generalities, I'm asking about that particular outlet in the context of russian politics. It's not a general news site like mother jones or fox, it's a media outlet that covers russian prisoners rights and the stuff related to it (Wagner prisoners, political cases, people that are being persecuted by the state). I don't see a difference in tone compared to holod, so I'm interested in what Qtotonibudinibudet is seeing that I'm not, not to say they aren't clearly liberal and against the war and political repressions

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
They're losing their worst, while we're losing our best. Forum war is hell...

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The joke about NATO not having showed up was no joke

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Kikas posted:

There should be no retaliation on Russian soil. And it is massively unfair. But this is not about fair, this is about survival of the Ukraine as a nation, the people and the culture. This is an existential threat and you don't always secure your existance by threatening someone else.

Unless you know, there's some military goals to achieve there, but I think first things first, there's a lot of russian stuff to blow up in Ukraine. And it's not like you can realistically cripple their airforce without invading.

Ukraine has been bombing Belgorod and sending drones deep into Russia. Just because there has been nothing spectacular yet doesn't mean that something is off limits or that there's one weird trick to unlock the russians super sayian mode by crossing some nebulous red line

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

fatherboxx posted:

The figure for civilian casualties on Russian soil from Ukrainian strikes so far that I've seen recently is about 30 people. With that Russian fighter plane that rammed an apartment building in Yeisk on its own resulting in 16 dead civilians even Russian media is unable to whip up a rally for defense argument - the broad terror attack to win with the Ukrainian population at home would change that.

But who is suggesting terror attacks on civilians? What has been happening is airfield and fuel base bombings, I don't understand why is the article being interpreted as Biden talking Ukraine out of bombing tourists on the red square, instead of talking them out of trying to bomb more military hard to reach stuff

Mr. Apollo posted:

I've seen a few articles, that are speculating that a counteroffensive may have begun. The biggest indicator they all point to is the sudden silence on social media especially on the southern front.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/24/europe/ukraine-counteroffensive-speculation-intl-cmd/index.html

Counteroffensive as in probing, no mechanised movement until the mud dries probably?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Young Freud posted:

We know that the Ukrainians have used the Rasputina to keep the Russians on vulnerable roads,

Please just say mud season

There's no reason to use the local words for the same concepts that exist in English as if they're mysterious oriental phenomena (same for dezinformaciya, maskirovka, blat, pizdesh, naebalovo)

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

someone's gonna be real mad if they ever start reading contemporary informal russian and seeing how many english loanwords are in use for things that could reasonably use a word of russian origin

dehumanize yourself and face to фейки and смайлики

what makes you think i'm not mad all the time

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Loanwords are fine when your phone recognizes them, but if it's replacing rasputitsa to Rasputina then it's trying to tell you something

Did all you people miss the post had "rasputina" in it

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

spankmeister posted:

просто кринж бро

погодите погодите, я пропустил это

*кхе кхе*

включи свой монитор

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Just Another Lurker posted:

Thought that was just a chemical plant with a pile of decommissioned SS-24 missiles and tons of solid rocket fuel?

That's probably the way it is publicized to play it down, similarly to how some places before earlier in the war were "fireworks storages". Good stuff getting hit is demoralising and there's no upside to admitting if a military facility got hit. Unfortunately with mass rocket attacks and storages saturated with new, good equipment being prepared for an attack, something is likely to get hit

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

fatherboxx posted:

Arestovich is a known (entertaining) bullshit artist and was one even when he was an official and the account you are quoting is usually even worse

He's a hunk and he can psyops and esoteric-NLP-bullshit me all night any night

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Willo567 posted:

How does any of this help Ukraine? It's just going to make Russia take it out on innocent Ukranians more, not to mention make allies more hesitant to give fighter jets and long range missiles

Time for Putin to awaken his final form. The red square... has been crossed

fatherboxx posted:

Umm holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/ian_matveev/status/1653725051974189063?t=1HHrag3djEgDmZ6PHMnipA&s=19

Government press service officially acknowledges there was a drone strike on Kremlin

This is loving insane lmao

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Ukraine has everything to gain from such a spectacular own of the bunker gnome's headquarters

Russia has nothing to gain by being embarrassed like this

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Keisari posted:

I'm finding the theory that they once again bombed themselves most convincing. Russia has a long tradition of bombing themselves to produce a pretext for something, and even in this war it is them who have pulled of one crazy stunt after another.

If Ukraine had the capability to strike Kremlin, they would have picked some other target that had actual military value, instead of a loving flag.

What is the pretext for that couldn't be achieved another way? Mobilisations, bombing of Kiev, failed offensives are all achievable with some correct framing on television, there are no democratic institutions to put a break on anything

If it was drumming up support for the war, something along the lines of "Ukrainians are bombing orphanages and then crucifying the survivors" would have more effect than "help we are totally hosed and helpless"

Not saying it's not but false flag making GBS threads your pants is something new

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Paladinus posted:

Case in point. It was all literally just trolling by Russian white nationalists on twitch.
https://t.me/ilyashepelin/5061

Yeah saw this and doesn't look good. Dude, you get invited to PACE and other institutions, vet the poo poo you read out loud

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
You probably want to edit it out before someone obsessively following the war thread complains that they had to see some images of the extremely brutal war, instead of instances of the libs getting owned

On topic, that's truly remarkable, Wagner making a retreat soon?

quote:

He is mad. Prizohin has bitched about ammo shortage before however there seems to be a shortage of ammo across the Russian army if telegram posts are to be believed. So he thinks he is getting blue balled by the Russian MoD where there is a strong possibility that there isn't enough ammo to go around or at least get to where it is needed.

He was complaining about ammo shortages at the start of the year angrily ( his troops were making videos calling Gerasimov fa*got), then toned it down, now this. He seems like he has nothing to lose anymore, he's done , either the Ukrainians or the russian army get him

Somaen fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 5, 2023

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah agreed it seems like another internal play to make sure his troops are prioritised over the Russian army proper again.

They've been doing that for half a year and it didn't work, this is desperation

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Why don't they call each other instead of making tiktok videos

This future sucks

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Can't imagine Gerasimov and Shoigu are happy being called names and their authority and competence being questioned by the other Putin friend just for the morale of his troops. Mobiks also watch those extremely public videos

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Sekenr posted:

I am surprised Kazakhstan and Armenia even showed up. Here is a video of them walking to Alexandrovskiy garden. Luka is missing, not surprising he has knee problems. Also I am not seeng Pashinyan of Armenia and Tokayev of Kazakhstan looks like he wants to be out of the frame as much as possible.

Putin made them attend the parade so that the Ukrainians don't bomb the red square and accidentally get the wrong president lol

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Last year Hungary blocked Ukraine from joining using the excise that the Hungarian language is oppressed in Ukraine and then Orban went to Moscow and had that champagne photoshoot with Putin. This was either Feb or Jan 2022

I want to know what the hell kind of wrestling and dealmaking is going on besides the scenes

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Oh poo poo we were warned that this was going to happen, the crazed Ukrs are invading Russia, which is Putin's red line and now nuclear was is about to begin. Farewell everyone :(

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
It's a tongue in cheek way to present a military op with the same level of bullshit that russia was doing while creating the abominations of DNR/LNR and the other failed bandit republics

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

adebisi lives posted:

While I wouldn't call Ukraine a fascist state, I wish they'd stop giving heavy weaponry to nazis

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1660980457993822209?s=20

They got that at the local military surplus store though?

Also what about the rusych battalion

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Nazi Jew Zelensky want to kill all the Jew -- very nice! (Borat)

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
It seems a bit more serious than a border incursion now, it's a city of 40k people

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
32 died, about a hundred have poisoning

https://www.bbc.com/russian/news-65818840

I hope the contrnastoop goes well and the KGB regime is broken, there's pretty much no other way Russia can become a normal country(ies) where human life matters or there's a vision of the future instead of reliving pobeda and gagarin all the time

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

MikeC posted:

Lol, I am glad I live rent free in your head. Going back to the start of the war, I haven't made a ton of predictions, but most them have been accurate. This is a pretty safe one too and in line with what guys like Kofman have been saying.

The vitriol on display pretty funny though.

Weren't you pushing mearsheimer and RUSSIA HAS SECURITY CONCERNS

I went to double-check if you are that guy and yes you are, and you should reread your posts too for your wildly inaccurate predictions and understanding of the situation, your memory is failing you

"Look pal, I might've said that the west is not going to support Ukraine because they'll freeze to death in the winter without russian gas so Ukraine needs to negotiate a deal with Russia... But I also said that counter attacking for Ukraine is going to be hard, so I got something right"

Somaen fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Just a sample of the accurate predictions and extremely good grasp of the situation

MikeC posted:

Unless the Ukrainians end the war before November, this behaviour will probably continue as Putin will play the energy card to max and the EU will have to make decisions as to whether it will allow its citizens to suffer rolling blackouts and possibly freezing this winter vs coming to some sort of understanding with Putin to get the LNG following again. France earlier hit electricity prices of over 1000 Euros per megawatt hour from 70 Euros a year ago. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-26/german-power-rises-to-record-800-euros-in-latest-inflation-boost German companies are already halting production because electricity costs are too high https://www.ft.com/content/d0d46712-6234-4d24-bbed-924a00dd0ca9. Europe will likely have to collectively face a choice - continued support for Ukraine or a major economic downturn due to inflation and an energy crisis that may bring economic production to its knees.

This may be why the Ukrainians are moving now. A major victory over the Russians may be required to show that there is the proverbial 'light at the end of the tunnel' and that this situation will not last indefinitely if they stick with the Ukrainians just a bit longer through the winter. The worst-case scenario is that Zelensky knows continued support from Europe, especially Germany, may soon come to an end as Putin flexes his muscle on the energy file and Berlin is forced to come to the table. Even if only a few European countries are pried loose, any crack in the EU/NATO front will be seen as a huge victory for Putin. It will be a really interesting 6 months wrt to EU public and elite sentiment over continued support for Ukraine or whether the EU needs to come to some sort of arrangement with Putin with Ukraine being the sacrificia

You have literally just explained the much-derided (on this forum) Mearsheimer position on why it was foolish to engage down this path of teasing Ukraine with NATO membership. The Western public is unlikely to care enough about the Ukrainians to start a war with Russia over it or even suffer long-term economic consequences over it. To the common Germans and Frenchmen, Ukraine isn't a core interest and hence the elites at the top of the democratic food chain have their hands tied. Meanwhile, the Russians led by an authoritarian ruler *ARE* 100% invested in the outcome of Ukraine and will suffer enormous economic and military costs to see it through. Even in the United States which is suffering none of the direct effects of this war (you can argue how much inflation is caused by COVID bucks vs Russian sanctions) has a growing crowd led by loving Tucker Carlson who essentially is saying its time to stop pissing off the Russians so everyone can by their fossil fuels and we can go back to normal. So if you don't really care about Ukraine enough to suffer for it, why string them along when you should have just told the Ukrainians that life is kind of lovely sometimes and you should cut a deal with Putin before troops start rolling in.

Now, this has yet to be played out fully. Mearshemier might turn out to be wrong after all and the Germans end up freezing in the dark during February to ensure the Ukrainians stay in the fight. But given that NATO had a difficult time even moving 2nd hand MiGs to help the Ukrainians, forgive me if I don't see Scholz bending down and sucking Putin's dick in order to beg him to turn the gas back on as the German public rages due to sleeping in freezing temperatures and being unemployed as their factories shut down over insane electricity prices. Maybe Russian general public ends up hating living life under sanctions long enough that even Putin's repressive regime can't keep this war going. But it is ironic that you literally just laid out a very 'realist' argument when you say you don't believe in it.

If the West does get off the pot, it will be humiliating for 12 to 18 months and then we will forget about it as long as the Russians pump gas out of Nordstream 1 and 2. That is the sad 'realist' outlook.

Once again, the Mearshiemier crew (which I subscribe to) might turn out to be totally wrong and Germany stands firm throughout the winter even if the Russians don't turn the gas back on after "maintenance". But even then the realist policy maker has a point in that you shouldn't have been laughing at Trump when he was warning you to ween yourself off Russian energy and now the situation in Europe is going to be worse than what it should have been.

Edit: I don't think being wrong is bad, none of us can predict the future, but it's hilarious that someone calling themselves a Realist is just consistently wrong on predicting reality

Somaen fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 10, 2023