Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I only really beat Rondo out of the oldschool Castelvania(likes) but yeah, having rigid movement but enemies balanced around it gives your combat/platforming a cool sense of deliberation.

Kinda miss that in Dark Souls, the first game reminds me of Castelvania a lot since you’re kinda clunky but most enemies have slow plodding blatantly telegraphed attacks but stamina management is more of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Metis of the Hallway posted:

If he's interested in the video game nier:automata he should buy the video game nier:automata, in my opinion

Same, also afaik every version is pretty solid since they fixed the PC version, although the Switch is capped at 30 FPS I think?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

My hottest Final Fantasy take is that FF6 is just kind of average. I'm right in the age group of people who have a lot of nostalgia for it, and there are individual parts that I really like, but as a complete product it's just kind of a mishmash of various sci-fi fantasy tropes without a strong connective tissue. Which is fine, because it was written for 11 year olds and you think all that stuff is really cool when you're 11. I think later games in the series did a much better job at balancing their cast of characters and worldbuilding. Peaking of course at FFX-2, the greatest JRPG ever made.

I feel the same tbh, but to be fair to VI it was more that it was one of the first games to try being more than a basic rear end adventure. Will give it props for Terra’s character arc, not a huge fan of her but it’s cool that a character’s story arc about finding out what love ends in a familial bond thing and not a cliche romance.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’d be interested in gameplay thoughts myself, it’s a hell of a ride on your first run but a lot of people have become lukewarm on it because it has no chill wrt enemy skill setups and annoying gimmicks (myself included).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

so disappointed... I thought I had caught my first shiny poke ever, turns out it's just a species that naturally comes in a variety of colours.

Which one? Tatsugiri?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ah. We’ll look on the bright side, it would have been intensely disappointing if your first shiny was yet another mediocre Normal/Flying type.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

lol i looked up what a shiny pikachu looks like

vs.

Look up “shiny Garchomp”

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought ADHD was a subsection of high-functioning autism, like how the neurodivergence formerly known as Asperger’s. Where’s the ADHD thread, I have some questions…for a friend.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda silly that breath of the wild has elemental staves and the elements are “do some mild fire damage”, “do some mild thunder damage and disarm enemies wielding metal armaments” and “freeze enemies in place and they take like triple damage when you hit them”. Also it’s cool that you can do the main story if you want or start exploring the far reaches of Hyrule and be under constant threat of getting instagibbed with like five hearts by black moblins with mid-lategame gear. I think I’m gonna try to get enough shrines for the Master Sword before my first divine beast and see how much exploring that requires.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Does anyone else ever lose like fifteen minutes of time to an enemy randomly using a super strong weapon in BOTW and then find a Korok on reloading? The former sucks but the latter lets me hoard more super cool swords so I guess it breaks even.

Also this game has golf???

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gently caress I’m still like 20% of the way through BOTW.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

I didn't mind weapon durability in the end but they should have made the master sword indestructible (instead of temporarily depowered when it "breaks")

If they did this then there’d be lots of brokebrained players who insisted on using their 30 attack weapon on everything instead of the sick robot’s giant battle axe++ or the blizzard sword because it’s “optimal” to have less fun. I kinda wish it was indestructible too though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

megalomania is one of the SNES's best pieces of music, and it's a shame it languished in so much obscurity before toby fox brought it to the fore by proxy

i'm also a huge fan of forgotten wings, especially the drammatica version. shimamura's truly one of the greats of video game composers

LAL’s remake definitely has some of my all time favorite gaming bangers for sure. Everything in the eighth chapter especially is so loving good.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Infinitum posted:

:yeshaha:

Of the Yakuza/Judgement/LAD games I've played so far it's out and out #1 for me.
Tonally perfect the whole way through.

Just some of the absolute best boss fights in the series, particularly the dynamic intros, coupled with absolute bangers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhemxr9Wdm0&t=104s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkdT2OKvzsk

One of my favorite moments in gaming is the final Kuze fight when the leitmotif from Oath of Demon kicks in. God 0 was so good, so glad it was my intro to LAD because I’m truly rude or die for it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Kuze is so great.

Oath of Enma is the counterpart to Pledge of Demon, and is more about his pride as a man than his loyalty at a member of the Yakuza
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59CAI-CbUA

Y0 really is a "No notes" sorta game.
Just perfect.

I wish the business minigame could be engaged with through phones/pagers, but otherwise it’s loving rad yeah.