Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

East Hastings is like visiting a 3rd world country, it’s something else. I’ve only ever driven it, would never get out and walk that nightmare.

Walked it for great Ethiopian food, among other great places. It is where non-corporate businesses can be found. I won't lie and say it is perfectly safe, but it isn't as bad as the suburbanite babies claim it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

It is so funny you freaks can't shut up about glenn and need a little safe space to talk about him.

Fun Glenn Fact: Shut the gently caress up, you are just as loving bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Fact: I hate hearing about this dude.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Copyright is very very important to 99.9% of artists. Grimes is able to do this and say this because she has no need for money, and doesn't really need to worry about this too much. I would bet she'd take issue if some neo-nazi used her voice for some album. Copyright isn't just for Disney, it protects artists incomes. That said, copyright should end at death of the artist.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

open source but also 50% royalties

didn't she say like yesterday anyone could use her voice, no mention of royalties.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

you're correct about Grimes, but most people that make money as from performing music do not rely on royalties. I'll have to do some digging for more stats, but one of the studies I had saved arrived at this (poorly sampled) figure:

Music maybe, but copyright extends far beyond that. I'm a visual artist, copyright infringement is a huge problem, I've had my own work scrapped and used. Its not a ton of money, but I'm entitled to it. I did the labour that produced the value, some rear end in a top hat's got my money.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I agree, but anything that even smells like pro-IP posting is not received well here

That is because people don't like to consider art as work/labour.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

potato! posted:

Unless I'm reading this wrong, that's showing royalties at over 21% of income, which is the second biggest category there and pretty significant even if it's not a plurality.

Merch is also about copyright. Without it I can just steal album covers and sell my own merch for popular bands.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Asking someone to give up 10% of their income to randos that didn't do any work is a big ask still.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Also folks, just follow this simple rule: If a millionaire/billionaire is asking you to give up income for some grand project it likely isn't going to benefit anyone but them.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

agreed. creators of generative models should pay a fee to artists to include their works in a training set, and then another fee each time an output is generated that relied in part on a particular work. and artists should have the right to ensure their their works are not included training models at all

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

potato! posted:

I think we may be using different definitions of significant then, because I would think even 15% is significant.

If your job threatened a 15% pay cut, would you feel that was significant?

thank you, for some reason people just don't conceive of artists as workers that also need to earn a living.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s from both sides, sadly. Capital has for decades purposely gone out of its way to devalue art and artists in all fields because it allowed them to to abuse the labor of artists. It’s why people seriously see nothing wrong with telling artists to do free work for “exposure” or telling artists that making art isn’t a real job so they shouldn’t charge as much as they do for their works.

On the other side you have people who, rightly, see the abuse of the copyright and IP system by the likes of Disney but knee jerk into all copyright is bad fullstop and get mad at artists who need copyright while ignoring that an artist owning their work for use and sale is literally a worker owning the means of their production

YES!

I spend a lot of time talking about how as an artist I am essentially operating outside the capitalist mode of production. Way back I wrote a thesis on the independent artist being a shockingly radical example of how things can get done outside the capitalist mode of production. Admittingly, this is essentially the artisan mode of production as laid out by Marx, which is something that existed before capitalism and operates in parallel. I certainly still work for others, and then I'm a exploited worker, but my skills are in crazy high demand and money is money.

Also Elon hates copyright and is documented stealing art from artists at tesla.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've also worked in large studios that are essentially an art factory. There I made art to order and signed the "artists" name in place of mine. These are the worst, dirty little art world secret. No one talks about them. The artist I worked for never once made a piece in 3 years I was there, they got all the credit for works I and other workers made, even presenting in interviews that they made the pieces, talking about the creative process and how they did it. All the big names do this, Hirst, Koons..., plus others less well known. Any artist that is well known and makes a lot does this.

This is the model capital wants all art to become. It is very profitable, and turns artists into wage slaves. AI will only make this worse IMO

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Consummate Professional posted:

I have to assume that a blue check means poes law does not apply https://twitter.com/0xgaut/status/1650867275103174660?s=12

AI can make a lovely commercial? Big deal, so can just about anyone. The imagination of tech bros is so impoverished as to be genuinely sad. It actually bums me out how into this lovely commercial this person is.

THE FUTURE IS HERE!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Al! posted:

there were palm pilots that could make phone calls decades before the iphone

and those people were correctly mocked

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ok this could be good

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

A Bakers Cousin posted:

my single computer class that had programming taught us BASIC.

in 2002

Lol mine taught BASIC in 2006!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I almost failed, can't code.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

A racist South African?
Why, now I've seen everything

Have you ever met a nice south african? That would be something to see.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Schmoe Cwead posted:

old and busted: crisis actors

new hotness: ai generated deepfake shootings

Please to a defamation and get sued for more than jones...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lurkers must post or die

My greatest regret is not posting on here until 08. Maybe I'd have been a good poster if I'd started before I was old enough to have a credit card

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

shyduck posted:

It still looks like poo poo

Always will

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

If you listen closely you can hear his lawyers, who are either desperately trying to call him, or just drooling.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Horseshoe theory posted:

Agreed - I hear "I've Never Met a Nice South African" playing for some reason... :thunk:

Funny how that song just keeps coming up

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Nuclear tipped R-7 Semyorka do the needful pls

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

New CEO is either gonna ditch after a month after having to try to implement Musk’s idiot ideas or Twitter is about to implode so Musk is gonna toss the time bomb in their lap to go ”It happened when they were CEO, not me!. I was actually running it perfectly, so I am still a super smart business man!” either way :lol:

100% it is about to implode

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

real man Gary Goldstein

sentient beige

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The whole clavical thing is obviously bullshit. But I love that they see everyone that is male has the female clavical, and everyone that is male has the female one, and then conclude that obviously everyone has transitioned. Not that they just got it backwards, no, everyone is trans!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

hardcore streetfighters v1.1 beta when :elon:

Love to immediately rule out good professional lawyers when building a legal team. Dude is going to get applications from all of Alex Jones' legal team.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

tshirt... questions

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

lol

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Just a Moron posted:

More likely going to throw them under the cybertrukkk

Gimmie that Hate Cybertrukkk beat!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

good thing that isnt already a website, or so ive heard

"Your Honor, if the court will permit, could I ask the members of the gallery to raise their hand so that we may see if anyone at all here today has heard of this so-called website 'Xvideos?'... ...Ah, just as I thought, it seems no one in this entire court, save almost all of the prosecution, has ever heard of this website before today's hearing. Perhaps we could chalk all this up to a mere coincidence?"

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

lol did he just gently caress himself out of his severance to post on twitter? He'd have to know this would happen, and Musk is just going to drop him the second he loses interest. From what I heard Fox was basically shovelling him money not to have a show. Why wouldn't you just take a massive extended vacation that lasts until Fox stops paying him?

What is it about twitter that makes people so stupid?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

lol like the third comment down is about "the jews", love the new twitter Elon!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Money is wasted on the rich. Why doesn't the largest class simply eat the smaller one?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

oh hey, my history podcast has the good opinions.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

holy poo poo, this might be the most owned anyone has ever been. You can just scroll through it endlessly without finding a single supporting tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

chippy posted:

Perhaps stop using Twitter maybe, just a thought.

Kinda laughing at all the people being all "OP you are using twitter badly, get good at twitter", when it is twitter. Just stop using it altogether!