Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Team Getting Victor
This poll is closed.
Pistons 7 17.07%
Spurs 14 34.15%
Rockets 2 4.88%
Blazers 4 9.76%
UCONN 6 14.63%
Other 8 19.51%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Rick posted:

I heard a reporter say they should trade Mikal Bridges if teams really are offering like these 3 first pick packages for him. What do you think?

Do the Nets not already have a bunch of assets from blowing up their super team? Mikal is young and really good, and his archetype pairs well with pretty much any other type of star. I'd keep him unless it was a Gobert-esque offer you can't refuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Blind Pineapple posted:

Would a fringe-NBA player be able to make top 1% USD income in Europe/China/Wherever or do you have to be a former NBA/high-end D1 guy who some people would recognize to pull those numbers?

Not saying it would be a solution for Terry, just curious.

$200K-$500K is pretty normal per year for Turkish and Spanish leagues I think, a fringe NBA guy could definitely command that (the issue in some Asian leagues is restrictions on foreign players, but I don't think that's a thing in most of the Euro leagues).

What's the difference between "Fringe" and "Former," really? A guy who is barely in the league for a season or two is definitely a "fringe" NBA guy, and when he goes to play in China or whatever he becomes former.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

The Maestro posted:

Oh no, our All NBA center led the league in double doubles and is only making $19.4 million next year we’re so screwed. Have fun paying Jordan Poole $30 mil lol

Has anyone even intimated that Sabonis is bad/on a bad contract? You're punching a strawman.

Kings were fun all season, was a shame they had to face the Dubs 1st round as opposed to the Conference Finals.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
#weirdo

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Content already locked and loaded for the offseason

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

There's an expansion draft and teams are only allowed to protect a certain number of players so the expansion team(s) get their pick of end of the bench guys that teams didn't want or didn't want to pay. They also get a high draft pick.

What happens to the teams whose players get drafted? Do they get additional draft picks or do they just have to raid the free agent market? Do the drafting teams assume the contracts as-is?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dexo posted:

the NBA is not a league where you are going to be able to build a team with players 9-15 as last time there was an expansion draft a team could protect 8 players. and NBA teams rarely go more than 10 deep in the regular season, and the 9 and 10 guys rarely see more than like a handful of minutes.

Hockey is a bit different, as like you have like 20-23 players, and most of them see some playing time. So if you have good scouting you can find dudes who can provide good ice time. NBA, I don't care how much you scout you are going to have a hard time putting together a "real" team with a roster made up of players 9-15 on an NBA roster. Could get lucky and find someone who just needs a different context to flourish. But that's hard to come by in the NBA.

Lockback posted:

If you're over the cap you get a trade exception, I think it expires earlier than a regular one.

yep, so its basically like those guys went to FA instead. The expansion draft happens in the offseason so its not terribly disruptive. You get to protect 8 guys so you're talking fringe rotation people getting selected, though every team has to have at least 1 unprotected, non RFA player available.

In the past you've had some interesting guys getting minutes early on as there are more unknowns at the end of the bench.

Thanks to you both. Yeah, I knew there was some protection, but I figured it was Top-5 or something. 9th man and beyond is pretty dire. I know about the success of the Golden Knights in hockey, but that seems pretty impossible in the NBA as described.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Lockback posted:

They don't want the expansion team to be a winner in the first couple of years. The team will have enough buzz being new. The expansion draft also isn't how they fill out their roster, having 100m+ in cap space and free agency is. They'll get a few decent players in free agency, get a bunch of fringe rotation guys in the draft, and be a 20 win team with a good draft pick that year

Why wouldn't the league want a new team to be successful, up to and including winning a chip? I'm surprised to hear they artificially hobbled the Bobcats, but is the rationale really "We don't want them stealing "existing" franchises' thunder?"

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Metapod posted:

Because the owners would not want to give up their marketable stars for free which is what you have to do to make an expansion team instantly good

I get the top-whatever protection, I meant the reduced salary cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Algund Eenboom posted:

Kevin durant is a lot like james joyce in one very specific way

lmao