Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's back when he was just a comical crook business man.

Yeah, and the other guy went on to be the president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Looks like Schenn is on the third pair with Rielly.

Whats going on with Rielly? His numbers seem down but not significantly. Has his defensive game really fallen off so badly? Or is this just Leafs fans eeyore syndrome combined with the expectations of a big contract?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like Toronto traded a whole bunch of assets to improve their defense and actually didn’t improve it at all.

Keying in on ROR at the deadline seemed so odd to me. If ever there was an opportunity to move a bunch of assets for a defender like Chychrun that was it. Really any defenceman who could provide long term stability on the back end. Hell, even the Hronek trade would've made a lot of sense for them (and he cost nearly the same as ROR). I will never understand Dubas' fascination with moving picks for one and done aging assets.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

They traded for like five defencemen.

None of them are a long term solution. They prioritized depth guys and also traded a good, young defenceman in Sandin to fit their rentals in the lineup.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There are no feel good cup winners this year. It's just varying shades of palatable and the Oilers.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Arabian Jesus posted:

Remember when Kyle Clifford started game one last year lol

He boarded that guy so hard it ended his career

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

You can cheer for the team trapping and grinding and being boring as hell or the team that loves to do sick dangles and passes playing at 100mph and loves to score goals.

You can cheer for a normal life with work and a family and being boring as hell or you can cheer for your house suddenly catching on fire is a really spectacular way destroying all your possessions and loved ones in a really exciting and colorful explosion.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

I really think it's Arthur Kaliyev's and uhhh... Rasmus Kupari's time to shine

Alex Iaffolo was really good against the Canucks the other week in a "he seems like the type of guy to inexplicably put up 11 goals in the playoffs one time" sorta way.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bruins already firing up the "historic regular season team gets swept in the first round" excuse machine I see.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I have nothing to add other than to say I deeply appreciate this post

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Of significance here is that the NHL rulebook draws a distinction between "possession" and "control of the puck." Possession as commonly used to by fans is really "control of the puck" in the rulebook.

Possession: The last player to physically touch the puck with his stick or body shall be considered in possession of the puck. (NOTE 1) A player can have possession of the puck without control, but he cannot have control of the puck without
possession..

Control of the puck: The act of propelling the puck with the stick, hand or feet. Control of the puck is not lost when contact with the puck is made by an opponent, the boards or the net, provided the player in control of the puck continues propelling the puck.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

I for one cannot believe the Oilers lost on such a funny fashion because it sure seems like the creator hates me

I have said nothing specifically because that was just game 1 and if there's one thing the universe loves to do around hockey is build up my expectations before crushing them in a hilariously (to an outside observer) soul destroying fashion.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 18, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

As long as the Oilers stop taking dumb gently caress penalties they SHOULD be fine but ugh

Yeah they looked fine. The Kings aren't going to shut McDavid out again and get six powerplays. Skinner looked pretty shaky too and I expect him to rebound. Nurse was at his defensive liability best though lol.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I thought Skinner looked pretty nervous. Tentative reads and a lot of halfway decisions.

I can't recall the last time I saw a looping backhander from the slot go in the net. Skinner was a bit in his own head after that. I'm sure he'll shake it off and be fine.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

God I missed playoff hit debates. It's my favourite sign of the spring.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Cooper said in an interview this morning that during the handshakes he told Keefe “don’t change a thing” which is yet another sly own if you think about it

Seems like Keefe really took that advice to heart.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thank you for reminding me that Joe Thornton still hasn't officially retired because he was holding out hope some desperate team would sign him at the trade deadline.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's impressive that with a month of knowing who their opponent would be the Leafs still couldn't come up with a better game plan than "throw pucks at the net from anywhere in a blind panic like we did last year" against Tampa.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

There is another important dimension to this. Wright's (initial) junior team, the Kingston Frontenacs, is spectacularly inept. They're inept at everything, but specifically at developing players. For one example, the team has been around several decades now and not only have they somehow never made the OHL finals (I think they've only made the semifinals once), they had basically no successful-in-the-NHL prospects until Jason Robertson. Everyone from their system, no matter how highly or lowly ranked, underwhelmed. For another, Wright himself, who was granted exceptional status and had an age 15 season in the same ballpark as McDavid and Tavares, ended up a downwardly-mobile 4th pick in the weakest draft in a decade.

Wright did eventually go back to the CHL but only after the Kraken had convinced the Fronts to trade him.

As cursed as the Fronts may be, I think Wright's perceived stagnation has a lot more to do with him missing his age 16 season due to covid. That's a pretty crucial development year and unlike a lot of other high end prospects his age he didn't sign elsewhere to get some gametime in. He basically had a year of self directed off ice training for development. His age 15 season was in line with the outcomes of other similar exceptional players.

It's also worth noting that, despite being granted exceptional status, he was never seen in the same light as McDavid or Tavares. The OHL had started using exceptional status pretty loosely. ECHLer Sean Day got exceptional status just so he'd declare for Canada over the USA.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Speaking of the Kraken, gotta say I did not see Jared McCann being a 40-goal scorer after 4 other teams gave up on him before he was 25

He was the first person ever to be slightly immature at age 19 so the Canucks had to trade him for anything they could get.

The Canucks 2014 draft was so bizarre. They got 5 NHLers from it but managed to lose 4 of them for no return before they were 23. Only Thatcher Demko stuck with the team.

6th Jake Virtanen: sex pest who fled to Russia
24th Jared McCann: traded to Florida (with picks!) for Erik Gudbranson
36th Thatcher Demko: good pick
66th Nikita Tryamkin: fled to Russia because the Canucks didn't want to pay him
126th Gustav Forsling: traded for Adam Clendening for no reason

That's one of the most successful drafts by any team ever and the Canucks have almost nothing to show for it.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 19, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

That'd be my writeup on Bill "Goldie" Goldthorpe - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510&userid=85759#post504286474

I had a few good writeups, especially later in the draft, if anyone cares to read them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510&userid=85759

Gazumping Teemu's gimmick one pick before him remains my finest moment on this forum.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Keefe keeps getting out coached but I'm not sure how much you can pin "Matthews forgets how to use his limbs come April" on him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

in one of the games last night they kept mentioning trapezoids

is that a specific four player formation? what happened to triangles

The trapezoid in hockey generally refers to the area behind the net where a goaltender is permitted to play the puck. Since 2006 goalies have been forbidden to play the puck in the corners below the goal line. This was a direct response to teams playing a shut down style and having a good puck handling goaltender like Martin Brodeur or Marty Turco basically act as a 3rd defenceman on dumpins resulting in a really low scoring style.

If it's a defensive structure thing I've not heard the word trapezoid used. Generally the diamond is the defensive positioning teams employ on the penalty kill.

Goalies are only permitted to play the puck in the shaded area. If they touch the puck in the corner below the goal line it's a two minute delay of game penalty. The shaded area behind the net is the trapezoid where goalies will frequently go to stop pucks on dumpins. Sometimes they lose their spacial awareness and play it just outside that area and get a penalty. It's pretty uncommon these days since it's been a rule for almost twenty years and most players grew up with that as the norm.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 19, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

Ok not to be a pedant (just kidding it is specifically to be a pedant) but when pundits say three players are making a triangle or four making a diamond shape and the graphics draw one on the ice I have to laugh because any three/four points make a triangle/diamond-ish shape when connected like that.

But fine the talking heads were showing the TB PK using a diamond instead of a box.

It annoys me sometimes how bad commentators are at making clear that teams employ certain structural formations on the ice. The diamond is a short form for the 1-2-1 pk set up generally with a centre high, the left side defender and a winger around the hash marks and the right D down low. This is to contrast it from the box or 2-2 with is two forwards high and two defenders low. There's also the very aggressive triangle or 1-1-2 with a forward up super high pressuring the D, then the other three penalty killers tight to the net in a triangle formation. All have their strengths and weaknesses and powerplays are focused primarily these days on getting those structures to collapse by pulling it too far to one side or the other.

Instead, as you say they just draw a square on the ice and say look at that! It makes a diamond! Which is entirely uninteresting and doesn't explain squat.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

also I learned that Toews missed a whole season due to long covid, and might retire because of it?

Yeah he did but also he was an open questioner of covid in the early days at best didn't take it very seriously.

quote:

“Part of me just says being away from people and isolating ourselves isn’t really the answer.”

Toews expanded on his thoughts a few minutes later.

“Does anybody really know how and when people catch this thing?” he asked rhetorically. “The best you can do is get good rest, eat healthy, take care of your body, do the little things that lower your chances. What else can you do?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/blackh...hell-mike-green

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/russohockey/status/1648856826006446083?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

This seems dumb, guess Evason didn’t want to have his name photoshopped on a sword in MAFs back

Honestly there's probably something to resting a guy who played over a game and a half 48 hours ago.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

And how are they doing this year?

They haven't surrendered a single goal so far this playoffs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

It happens a lot to young teams in the playoffs. You'd hope that a veteran coach would be there to help counteract it instead of playing into their worst possible tendencies but here we are. It's unfortunate game 1 went how it did because they weren't that bad outside of goaltending and special teams, and they panic reacted to it in game 2 in the dumbest way.

The Rangers were also excellent in game two, there's no avoiding that. Probably the best I've seen them look all season, particularly in the 2nd.

So what you're saying is the Devils didn't want it enough.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Regional broadcasts are so much better than the sportsnet crew :smith:

Singh has spent the last five years trying to go viral like his BONINOBONINOBONINO call at every opportunity and it's quite annoying.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I never thought Ruff was a good coach but firing a coach off 112 points is something. There is no reason to enter this team's real window in the next few years with a lovely coach though.

But the fans already said sorry to Lindy

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Don't worry Andrew Brunette proved himself a fantastic playoff coach last season!!

And a less than stellar golf cart driver

https://twitter.com/AndySlater/status/1648419659459248129?s=20

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mcmagic posted:

They shouldn't be able to give you a DUI if it's a loving golf cart. Pig bastard should've left him alone.

I mostly love that video for "I coached the Florida Panthers... You don't care."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Yeah, I think belief in a system and execution is almost always more important than the actual system.

Winning the cup is 98% confidence and 2% vibes.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

unironically talent and vibes

It's not really even talent. The more talented team loses all the time if the less talented team is made to genuinely believe NO ONE BELIEVED IN US WE CAME HERE TO PROVE THEM WRONG

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

How has Bo Horvat been for the Isles? His offensive numbers fell off a cliff after the trade and he's pointless through three playoff games. I'm pretty surprised by that because he'd been fantastic in the playoffs the few times he'd made it with the Canucks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Man, that was a high stick on the Kings OT winner. Not that I'm in favour of video review of nearly irrelevant plays like that, but by how those reviews go that should've been called back.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1649534703710658561?s=20

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

I think there should be (or may be there is) a provision in the high stick rule that it isn't used if (a) the touch was entirely accidental and/or (b) the touch didn't really affect the play.

The problem is that then becomes subjective and the line between affecting and not affecting the play is slight and entirely open to interpretation.

I'm just generally in favour of eliminating instant replay for anything unrelated to propelling the puck into the net. Has any of these marginal offside or goaltender interference reviews actually improved anyone's enjoyment of the sport at all?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Probably 80% of NHL players are younger than you. You are now ancient.

There are 103 active players left who were born in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

I was saying this to my brother at the time - that Stamkos knows they're going to be on the PK so he grabs Matthews and starts a fight to try take him to the box.

Stamkos has his gloves off and is punching Matthews who clearly just wants none of this bullshit. Matthews literally didn't even get both his gloves off before the linesman broke it up.

This is exactly what happened to Daniel Sedin with the Marchand thing. Daniel wasn't falling for it to take an unnecessary penalty, but the entire hockey world decided it was actually him being a giant wimp baby in the face of ultraman Brad Marchand and was actually a tough and cool play not terrible reffing. So there's a reason pests keep trying it and guys keep being goaded into it. It