Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I love the part of this that suggests that Jared Spurgeon is the best defensive defenseman in the league. Looking forward to Karlsson winning the Norris this year. It's too bad there's not an award for actually playing D like the Selke is for forwards who actually play D.

Anyway, go Wild.

I have tickets to the Avs v Kraken game 3 though, and the best I can hope for is minor but month long injuries for a half dozen skaters and a 9-8 scoreline. But I figure Grubauer will start and it's still the Kraken defensive structure so it'll be more like 7-3. I hate Dave Hakstol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, for the record I enjoy posting the Athletic stats stuff, but I def don’t take it super seriously or think it’s like, super accurate.

I do rate him as top 10 at playing defense in the league, and his numbers have backed it up for the last 3-4 years. Spurgeon is really good at positioning. He plays less on the PP this year so his point totals is less, but he's still put up a respectable number of assists. Really happy to have him locked up for long term.

Karlsson is very good offensively, but defensively he's not super. This year he got worse in 'on ice goals against/60' which was up to 4.0 as opposed to the 3.3ish over the last 4 years. His on ice goals for is fantastic though at 4.3 oiGF/60 That's a net of 0.3 GF/60 when he's on the ice. Compare that to Makar's 4.3 for to 2.8 against. It's night and day defensively. Makar is still clearly the better defensive player, but he didn't score 100 points, so it'll go to Karlsson. Adam Fox's numbers are just behind Makar's. Both of their Corsi/Fenwick numbers are also superior to Karlsson's as well.

E: I don't feel right making an argument for an Avs player to win awards. He's still deserving.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Makar missed a lot of time this year, which is why he's unlikely to win this year. I also think those numbers are rate stats that don't really account for time missed.

Having an award for defensive defensemen would probably produce some unsatisfying results when you consider who the writers would actually vote for. Like I don't think that's an award Spurgeon wins given that he's small, plays on an average defensive team and just isn't a big enough name to be on their radar. The Selke is really dependent on offensive numbers and some nebulous reputational aspects itself.

Yeah, those are rate stats per 60. It's not particularly easy to find defensive stats that mean a ton. So much of the game is focused on the offensive stats that I'm hoping we start getting a few better metrics in the next couple years. The rate stats aren't terrible and give at least a baseline to compare better than just a +/-.

You're right about the Selke being in the same boat. Koivu was right there with for a number of years with similar numbers (and better in 2016-17 if I remember right), but small market compared to Boston and LA. I don't like to complain too much, but it does mess with perception when the media has their darlings and stumps for them for a decade. Why yes, I might be talking about Pierre McGuire. It sort of hangs around in the NHL power rankings too. Most of the voters there cover your big east coast teams heavily. Minnesota can rip off 16 games with a 14-0-2 record and they won't rate them higher than 8-10. Doesn't matter if they beat half the teams above them on that list either.

It does mean that I'll make sure to watch a handful of games for all the teams in a season if I can manage it. So I sat through some really mediocre games this year because the bottom fell out really far, but it's also helpful to figure out just how much the complaining about the <insert non-playoff team here> is just complaining and how much is fairly accurate critique.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BitBasher posted:

Did the social media guy utterly fail math and/or statistics?

They're doing the thing that most media people do and cherry pick stats that make their team look extra good.

Also, lols at the idea that a social media person took stats.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

They're just having fun with it. You wouldn't cherry-pick a 48.8 to look good.

I wouldn't. You wouldn't.

But have you seen the poo poo people post on social media? It's hard for me to write that off as a joke unless the rest of the tweet is also cherry picking ridiculous stats. Which I can't, because it's included in an article for nhl.com full of stats https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/colorado-avalanche-2022-23-regular-season-by-the-numbers/c-343575520

quote:

48.8 FOW%
J.T. Compher was exceptional in the faceoff circle this season, where the centerman ranked seventh in the entirety of the NHL in faceoff wins with a percentage of 48.8%. Compher took a grand total of 1,665 draws, won 813 of them and lost 852 of them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

As much as I adore MAF, he is toast. But as someone who doesn't care what the outcome of that series is, I hope MAF plays and does more MAF things!

I mean, he ended the season with a .908 save % if I remember right, but he is at the end of his career. I'd expect the Gus Bus to start with the way he's been so solid and calm lately. But it'll be a fun tandem if that's what it takes.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I very appreciate that this tweet is sponsored by an Injury Law firm.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Where the gently caress do I watch playoff hockey and why is it impossible to watch hockey now

ESPN/2/+, and TBS/TNT. Except for local games which will be on your local channel for the first round.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Clearly unfamiliar with my posting, you've seen nothing yet

I think your posting was in perfect playoff form last night. Now you just have to carry it through to the next game.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

League feels it was a fine and good hit/hockey play. Guess a good and clean hit is going to explode kaprizov's knee or whatever.

Don't worry the totally fine cross checks from Suter already got him covered.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

Oh I'm sure more nastiness will follow, unfortunately. Murdering pavs of all people is certainly a cool move but what's done is done. There will be blood!

Honestly, I think it'll probably settle down into a hard checking series from both sides. Hakanpaa and Faksa had some good solid hits last night and Marchment was flying into them too. Kind of expect it to continue. I'd put it down as easy money that both teams end up taking cross checking or slashing penalties in front of the net if this were the regular season. But it's not, so I guess we'll see who takes the first one and if they keep calling them or not.

I'd pencil in Domi to pick a fight in game 2 or throw a dirty check. Just what he does.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Hi I’m v new to hockey - can somebody explain what Seatte is doing with Shane Wright and why?

I read the wiki and it seems confusing for the 4th overall pick to be ping ponged around so much?

Mismanagement mostly. He wasn't ready for the NHL at the start of the year, but they didn't want to send him back to Juniors because reasons? So then they sat him for most of the first half the season, loaned them to Team Canada for the world juniors, and then ended up sending him to play junior hockey for half a season because he can't be assigned directly to the AHL at his age. Next year he'll be old enough to just be assigned to Coachella and being on an entry level contract can get assigned up and down between the teams without worrying about waivers.

Edit: The trade from juniors club to another juniors club was to get him out of playing in the OHL playoffs iirc.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 19, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So what's the difference between what Bunting did and Dumba did

Serious

Seriously? Principle point of contact and manner in which the contact was made. One looked like a check. That means elbows tucked and gliding into the other person while aiming through the core or shoulders. One cut across the front of a player and the majority of contact was made directly to the head and not much else. The other made contact through the whole body of the player.

E: If Bunting had made contact to the shoulder, or even didn't throw a shoulder there and just skated with the better body position, the call there probably doesn't happen and it's deemed incidental contact.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 19, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Bunting getting cut is horrible don’t watch it unless you have a strong stomach. One of the worst things I’ve seen since that time in the late 90s (I think) Doug Weight got the back of a skate boot to the jaw and it shattered his face to mush.

Edit: and I won’t keep talking about the Dumba hit, but the local feed in Dallas has an angle that ESPN and (of course) Toronto HQ doesn’t. Besides being marginally close to being a late hit, the contact is shoulder to Pavelskis earhole.

Slow mo replay starting about 0:48

https://twitter.com/markkberger/sta...ightmode%3Dtrue

That's Joe's own white Warrior stick hitting himself at 0:51 in the head and his hand is up by his shoulder with it. Dumba uses a black wrapped CCM and hits Hartman in the shoulder with it. It's a good angle, but doesn't show the contact the way something 90 degrees to either side would be able to show.

But let me be clear here. I don't think it was a particularly necessary hit, but it also doesn't tick the boxes for it to be anything past that. Big hits are part of the game, and even the boys down playing AA and AAA bantams know this.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Knies is going to do the same thing Brock Faber did and stake a claim for why he should never leave the lineup again.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

actionjackson posted:

in one of the games last night they kept mentioning trapezoids

is that a specific four player formation? what happened to triangles

There's a trapezoid behind the net that the goalie can handle the puck inside without penalty. Outside it is a delay of game.

Otherwise, trapezoids are just triangles put together with 4-5 players. Similar concept, but it includes all players in a defensive structure. In a structured d-zone setup, you can watch the shape move from above, but generally it will keep something that looks like that shape.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

The trap-e-zoid is the strategy the Devils used to win their cups circa 2000.

Ok not to be a pedant (just kidding it is specifically to be a pedant) but when pundits say three players are making a triangle or four making a diamond shape and the graphics draw one on the ice I have to laugh because any three/four points make a triangle/diamond-ish shape when connected like that.

But fine the talking heads were showing the TB PK using a diamond instead of a box.

I didn't say it makes sense. But neither do most talking heads doing color commentary on hockey games.

All the coaching stuff I find talks about triangles and gap control, and diamonds/boxes are what's used to talk about PK structure, so I was just guessing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Another Bill posted:

https://twitter.com/simmonssteve/status/1648767454871445540

I'm sorry for posting Steve Simmons but McCauley is David Frost's brother in law and Keefe was a witness at Frosts trial. What the actual gently caress

This is very old news.

If you dig into it, turns out every referee has something against Toronto anyway. Or maybe he doesn't seem to have had any problem refereeing the Leafs in the past and will continue to get assigned those games after Keefe gets fired in the summer.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

drat that's some stiches. And he finished playing the game like that.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mennoknight posted:

there's also the kind of rule that screws the Oilers which is by definition a good and just and fair rule

I still haven't seen an angle which shows the puck hitting the stick, just that it was in front of the stick while it was in the air. Which must not exist or the NHL would have seen it in the 6 minutes it took them staring at screens to not find.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya it seemed pretty clear it touched last night but also pretty clear that they were not going to change the call because it was like 95% clear it touched not 100%.

It took someone blowing it up from an exact angle and then slowing it down to see it. All the angles they showed on the TNT broadcast didn't show anything conclusive. Zooming like that is not something they do in the review process though? I don't honestly know. It does look like it touched the high stick and a Kings player was the next one to have possession and control. I think the worst part is it didn't seem to change the direction of the puck making it even harder to see without the video manipulation.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

grack posted:

I said it in the GDT, but the refs are making decisions based on video they see on tablets at the timekeeper's bench. They can see slowed camera angles, but zooming in and/or getting single frame grabs isn't happening.

Yeah, someone in the situation room would have to do all the manipulation for them. I just thought they got slow motion replays a little but everything is mostly at full speed.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Somewhat surprising, the Wild have parted company with Tim Army from the Iowa Wild.

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1649869759264051200

It'll be interesting to see what route Billy goes, there should be considerable interest in working with this prospect pool.

That’s a little surprising, but only a little. Development is a little stagnant this year I think and with the talent in Iowa right now they really need to get it right. Could have quite a few guys making a move up in the next two years and from the little I got to watch of Iowa this year they just weren’t consistently playing well.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

Seriously there’s no greater “it’s only bad when the always do it” than fans and management getting into it. poo poo owns

A+ yes. You know the fans were absolutely yelling poo poo at him, and this is hockey so go for it.

I’m still waiting for Rick Bowness to find his courage instead of backing down to Dean “Creed” Evason.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s funny to me that yesterday we had Leon Draisaitl whining about specific calls against him and the Oilers coach saying that Connor McDavid should be deciding whistles not refs and it didn’t make waves at all.

That’s because you ignore people who are acting like babies until they stop throwing their tantrums.

If McDavid wants to decide whistles I’m sure he can take the referee clinic and buy one.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

COVID sucked in general, and also interrupted a promising season for the Iowa Wild. The 2019-2020 season was the best by far for the team before things shut down as they were in 2nd place in the Central after finishing 3rd the previous year and looked like they were ready to make a deep playoff run. This season, they were extremely inconsistent; at one point in the season they had a 6 win streak followed shortly by a 7 loss streak.

There's likely some frustration with Marco Rossi not making the leap to a full time roster spot with Minnesota. They at least seem to be happy with Jesper Wallstedt's progress as they're keeping the goaltender coach.

Yeah, Rossi really hasn't gotten better this year. I'd put Adam Beckman and Sammy Walker in the same group, and probably a couple of the 20 year old D as well in O'Rourke and Hunt.

Wallstedt has been showing development, but the results in front of him just weren't there this season.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

waffle enthusiast posted:

Yeah. I totally get the interference call. The puck was out of play / no one knew where it was. That’s a penalty (though I would have gone w/ roughing). If I was a Sea-Tac Letter S’s fan, I would totally be foaming at the mouth / booing Makar on every touch. I get it.

But people acting like Makar is the second coming of Scott Stevens is a bit rich. Like how much hockey have they watched this dude play?

Ultimately, what may save Makar from suspension is that the whistle hadn’t been blown, and this is his first contact with the disciplinary committee IIRC. Either way, though, like whoever it was said in the GDT: the best bet is that whichever team makes it out of this series is going to get absolutely ground to dust by the winner of the Starts/Wild matchup.

You got it right mostly. The whistle doesn’t need to go for McCann to not be eligible for getting hit though. And Makar isn’t the dirtiest player since Stevens, that’s still Cooke. It was not a good or even close to legal hit though and I think the injury on it may push it into 1 game suspension just because of how late after the puck it was. Anything more than that is just excessive I’d think.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

It was not a good or even close to legal hit though and I think the injury on it may push it into 1 game suspension just because of how late after the puck it was.

https://twitter.com/nhlplayersafety/status/1650923303886790667?s=46&t=XRpaOgjWIXO-lwRQwa3yoA

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DancingMachine posted:

Makar gets 1 game. Still a good trade for the Avs since McCann is probably done for the series. Rational play is to run at the opposing team's leading scorer when they relax long after the whistle. And go ahead and do it with a star player rather than a scrub, since they will go lighter on the suspension that way.

Edit: beaten

The rational play is to play hockey and hit people when they're eligible to be hit or at least try to do it within the margin. Even regular season though this isn't going to be more than 2 games suspension. Players routinely rub out forwards in the corners and make the space disappear, this one was timed really poorly and the puck was no where near it happening. I don't think he was trying to injure here, but it was a bone headed play.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah I should also clarify in my previous post that "talking poo poo" is shouting down to the rink. I would never start poo poo with another person in the stands. 1)I'd lose by default if I did, I'm sure of it. 2)I don't wanna gently caress up my friend's season ticket deal, and 3)other fans wanna yell sometimes too and that's okay even if I also feel like it should be illegal.

I grew up in a household where grandpappy yelled at the tv, if it isn't obvious.

You should yell at the sports game and the people playing in it.

Honestly, I've never seen your posting go personal, so keep poo poo talking (even when you're wrong).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

lol missed high sticking call leads to Dallas goal

I love it

oh wrong thread.. well I'm just giving you a preview of what the big controversy story is going to be if Dallas squeaks out a win in this one.

Eh, poo poo happens. Whatcha gonna do.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Minnesota’s special teams being hot garbage probably makes it seem like all penalties screw them, whether against them or the other team.

This is accurate.

I didn’t really like the call standard changing in yesterday’s game, but neither did the Dallas fans itt from the complaining going on. It didn’t fit with the standard set in the other four games. And I’m not talking about the Foligno play here either. Just a lot of other stuff that wouldn’t have been called in games 1-4.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

Everyone look at the professional pedant being wrong about the boarding rule.

Unless your point is that the refs never call it correctly either, in which case, poorly communicated!! And also still wrong because Rielly on Point was not even a week ago!

The lesson here is sometimes plays can actually be more than one penalty. The goal is usually to call the one with the more useful progression or the more violent option. And Boarding being a physical foul versus a restraining foul with Interference could have been the better call. At the end of the day it’s both and they both have the same options for penalties available. So it doesn’t really matter as long as they call one of them for the action.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

All I ask is for the officiating to be consistent and to make sense. It hasn't, and this is a complaint I have a lot when it comes to playoff hockey. We sum it up as "playoffs are tougher" but I genuinely don't know if refs could explain their rationale for how they call things differently. It's maddening.

Some of it is just getting different refs on the games, some of it is what they had for lunch that day, how they're feeling, their concentration level, and a bunch of other things. It's really hard to maintain a consistent standard by yourself and it gets much more difficult when you have 5 refs that would call a play in 5 different ways. They have the benefit of doing 100 games a season and also getting video reviews and video sessions, so they have a lot more tools available to maintain that consistency.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

And the heading DOPS puts it under doesn't matter, because fines and suspensions are not bound by penalty type.

Not to mention they can change them to a different penalty call when it gets to DOPS anyway.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Suspending someone after your own referees reviewed a penalty and downgraded is just incredible, even for NHL officiating.

Like, they miss something behind the play, whatever, but they literally reviewed it. If that's not an immediate trigger for that crew not to be on any more games I don't know what is.

Has there been some NHL 1984 double-talk about how a suspendable play isn't necessarily a major penalty because I'd love to read that poo poo

No double talk, but I wasn't listening to the national feed on the McCann hit by Makar. There was a fair amount of surprise that it was only 2 minutes at the time. The Foligno hit last night went the other way where they were surprised it wasn't downgraded, but Brad Meier was sticking with it was always going to be the 5 + auto game misconduct. I think they probably stuck with the 5 minutes because of an apparent injury, but there was some argument in the studio about it being 2 or 5 because of how Faksa changed body position right before contact was made. I said in the GDT I could see it going either way then and I could still see it going either way the next time it happens. Mostly because of the difference between which refs you get that night.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Has there been any rumors about what happened with Nichushkin?

Rumors, yes. Actual details, no. The rumors that were reported were said to be false by Nichushkin’s agent so they don’t need repeating.

Edit to avoid double posting, but can I just say the Central division games getting played on the same night at nearly the same time is very obnoxious.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 27, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Simplex posted:

My wildly optimistic hope is that Nichushkin didn't really do anything wrong, and the Avalanche just unofficially suspended him for being an idiot.

But I know this is going to end up with him running an international prostitution ring to support Putin's war effort

There’s plenty of prostitution and other issues in Seattle without a hockey player needing to run an international human trafficking ring. It’s more likely that he was a customer, but without there being any information at all about how he was involved I’m going to not jump to conclusions. I won’t rule anything out either.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Penalties being equal doesn't mean the series has been called fairly. It could mean the refs game managed it.

Granted I haven't watched that series at all.

It's not about the number as is being suggested. It's about the penalty selection. There's been some really bad calls on both squads and no one really knows where the line is anymore since about game 3. They called a trip on Hakanpaa (I think?) for not touching Zuccarello and him losing an edge. The refs have been inconsistent which is the problem, not that they're calling the same number of penalties on both teams. Even accounting for playoff calls it's been all over the place with what's being called.

It's just playoff poo poo posting from DOOMocrat, but I want to see a little more effort out there. Really post something to get the posters going instead of the transparent stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

E: ^ how about 3 3-3 ties and one glorious victory? 🌟

Stars-wild has been a master class in inconsistency. loving call nothing or call everything, just pick a lane for the series.

I agree with both points, but I have tickets to the Kraken game so that better be the one with the handshakes.