Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It is way too early to tell how much power creep/constellations are/aren't required until the game is out for a few months. We can hope it will be like Genshin since Genshin has none of that and makes them roughly all the money, so hopefully they will continue on that trend, but we cannot know for sure! On the beta all the free characters were pretty good overall, but if there were a ton of nerfs before live they might not be. :iiam: All the characters in their animations have a shitload of effort put into them like Genshin's, so in an ideal world it will be the same, doubly so since the pity system is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kale posted:

Oh theres a mascot character and its a weird rabbit conductor thing called Pom-Pom.

Yeah but it's more like Ai-Chan than Paimon. As long as it's not in every cutscene repeating what someone just said, we are good.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I love Paimon as a character but it's as a character. She sometimes has an odd role. I much prefer Honkai's story where there's no Greek chorus is all. The parts of the story where Paimon just gets to be a character instead of a mouthpiece are excellent.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

wokow6 posted:

So earlier I got Welt as my guaranteed 50 pull, and I was pretty happy cause he seemed cool.

And now 6 pulls into the Standard, I get a 5-star light cone called In the Name of the World, which I'm pretty sure is meant for Welt, and I think I might be absurdly lucky.

The Herrscher of Reason has chosen you.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

wokow6 posted:

I have no idea what that means, but it's nice to feel chosen.

Welt's previous job title.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Looking through the Log where all the events are, it looks like everyone will get Natasha for free eventually after some story quest or something. So at least nobody has to worry about going without a healer for too long.

Out of curiosity is Yanqing anyone super crazy from Honkai lore? I've never read up on any of it at all but he seems cool for essentially being a more bratty ice flavored Xingqiu.

Nope, he's new. Odds are the guys are new because Honkai is overwhelming populated by women. Of the rest of the playable cast it's Bronya, Himeko, Luocha, Natasha, Seele, Silver Wolf, and Shushang as Honkai exports. Cocolia remains unplayable, but she's also from Honkai.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

given that they kind of even made it into genshin, odds are raiden mei and yae will also appear in this at some point

curious if we'll get any expies of raw genshin characters. this is clearly positioned as just a honkai thing but i mean, zhongli.

I don't know if Dan Heng is an expie, he could be Zhongli, but he also could be Adam. In either case the voice actor changed, but it's not like Adam had much if any voiced dialogue. I fully expect all the main Honkai girls to come and Kiana, Mei, and Fu Hua will rob me just like Seele did because I will have to have them. If a Yae comes, I think it will be Miko over Sakura. I don't think Sakura is that popular especially compared to Miko. But Miko would compete with Elysia, unless they say gently caress it and we get Miko and Elysia in the same game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

I haven't left the first station yet but is physical mc bad for just numbers reasons? Having single target/aoe burst seems nice on paper.

There's another physical destruction character in the game who is really really good who just kind of obsoletes them. There's also a dedicated physical hunt damage dealer, so for both bruiser and single target they are out muscled. Of course since Clara is a standard 5* you might never roll her, but she has one of the highest damage potentials currently (if you can taunt her).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Redezga posted:

For what it's worth there's four different language choices for voice acting, so if one doesn't work for you then you can switch it up and just live the subtitles life!

Are there subtitles for in combat barks?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I have to imagine we are getting all of the main squad from Honkai, so I am expecting Kiana, Mei, and Fu Hua. Just like Seele I'm going to have to have them.

As for the universes being connected, Honkai already established a multi-verse so it makes sense in it, though now I'm going to spend the entire game looking for anyone with magenta energy so I can do the Leo point meme at it. I really want to know how mechanically it slots into the Honkai verse and how things changed after the story of Honkai, given ti seems to have pretty big implications for the state of things. But I also know they don't want to make everyone play Honkai to understand the greater universe. Also in Japanese I'm pretty sure that Stellaron and Stigma use the same word.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I hope someone makes a paimon.moe for this game. They left out pity trackers in game so having that out of game will be very helpful.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The next guy is about equally as good as Seele just aoe focused, but the real difference maker is that the 4* on his banner are all amazing while Seeles are...not as good. Both characters should hold up, so if you like Seele more she's a great pick up, but if you are f2p and concerned about maximum value, waiting is the better answer.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

the real question is when will the train make a stop by the nearest moon and have a white haired yellow eyed girl who may or may not be named kiana just go "heeeeey guys" and take over the antagonist portion of the plot for a while

biggest critique about this game so far is that the train takes far to long to show up. if there is a rad astral navigating train it needs to show up within five seconds blaring a star whistle while not-tom hanks shouts all aboard

this is train theory

Kiana has blue eyes: :colbert: The yellow eyes are when Sirin is in control. However yes please give me Kiana and Mei and Fu Hua. Hell if Broya gets two, bring in Senti. I guess you should look out for Sirin anyway, because if we see a white haired girl with yellow eyes, then poo poo is about to go down and it should be as terrifying as someone using magenta energy.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 27, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Revitalized posted:

What's the right way to use all these uhhh stellar jades and undying embers and thingamajigs? Store seems really big with all these options. Do I only get star rail tickets or is that a trap?

I am not planning on spending money at this time, so should I save until I can trigger a pity rate before pulling an event banner or what?

I didn't play Genshin so if the mechanics are similar, I'm unfamiliar.

Only spend your stellar jades on Special Passes. These are used on the Character Event Warp. Those characters are generally more powerful than standard characters and rotate their availability. Never use your crystals to get standard tickets. Undying Embers and Starlight are what you get from rolling, so the more you roll the more you'll get. Starlight can be exchanged for either 5* lightcones or 4*characters. Embers are spent various things, the most important being every month you can buy 5 special passes and 5 standard passes. Always make sure you have enough to purchase those. It takes 900 total so if you don't think you'll roll enough to get that much, don't spend on the ember shop.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Sirin deserves a game where she'll be happy okay!

Actually think the female mc design is similar to Sirin much like male is Kevin

You're not alone in having that thought. Whenever we get the Imaginary Form they better get purple hair.

Splash Attack posted:

how many universes does honkai impact have

The Sea of Quanta is infinite.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

At least it doesn't seem like there's a ToTD tier of 3* weapon that's really worth keeping? None of them seem that useful compared to the 4*s.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

sushibandit posted:

There are people who don't max-superimpose then lock 1 copy of every single lightcone type? I figure it's gonna be like genshin where there's almost certainly a character (either current or future) who a specific 3* lightcone is BIS or close enough to BIS for. Plus, you know, collectoritis.

Oh I'm definitely trying to do this. I've got most maxed, just a handful that haven't shown up and I'm worried I'll just mindlessly autofeed them into the weapon grind. (which I have done)

https://twitter.com/majunjuu/status/1651681600206430208

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I do appreciate playing Genshin and Honkai and now this, each game very much has it's own 'voice'.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I like how the game lets you fill out a hotel survey, which your character takes very seriously.

I've gotten 3 of these scale items from doing stuff like that. One I traded with a fountain for (I think) some synthesis material.

Plotwise, it seems like your Stellaron "ability" is going to function sorta like the Echo in FF14, where you get random visions/dreams about the Stellaron-relatrd plot stuff on planets you visit.

Edit: One other thing I like, that I really hope continues, is that there's actually a core "party" with you during the plot. This was something really missing from Genshin. Hopefully March/Dan Heng stay as part of your team.

Post ice planet stuff given that the name for Stellaron in Japanese is incredibly close to Stigma and that Cocolia turns into a higher def form of the Herrscher of Ice, I feel pretty safe saying that Stellarons are basically Herrscher cores. Her talk to Bronya before the fight echoes the talk of people giving in to the will of the Honkai after all. Given MC's eyes, if they turn out to be this universes version of Sirin I would be insanely happy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

The MC being True Justice For Sirin would own extremely hard. However they would still need an option to get purple hair and an outfit where shoes are optional. :colbert:

:hmmyes:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

sushibandit posted:

All-Stars invite. I think this is a non-user-specific link: https://act.hoyoverse.com/sr/event/e20230115draw-wtn7k1/index.html

Edit
I think that's 30 warps for a guarantee not 3, because you get a decent chunk. I'm at like 15-16 without doing the discord or twitter crap and the event is running for another month still.

Do note for this event, you don't actually have to join, just click it, let the link open, and then close it. All it wants you to do is open the link (least if you do it on your pc) In a similar way on the share component, you don't have to share poo poo, just click copy link.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sampo owns, though I play in Japanese but his voice is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iKsOFFcpRc

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

It really is.

But I need both of them and I'm committed to this road.

Bronie and Kafka are must pulls for me. Guaranteed version of Bronya and her kit looks like it will be Kazuha tier in terms of usefulness and Kafka because she's a horrible woman. Just off the leaks there's already on character per patch I want.

1.1 Luocha and Bronie as 5*, the foxgirl commander as 4*
1.2 Kafka and Blade
1.3 Fu Xuan and an actual big story spoiler from end of planet 2 so tagging it separately Dan Heng's true form

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Clarste posted:

I was responding to you saying they would have to simplify things. Anyway I'm not mad, I'm just making the apparently true observation that Honkai Impact fans have broken brains causing them to see everything like a paranoiac's conspiracy board. The connections are just for fun, they don't actually matter. The writers do not need to stop making connections just so you can understand them easier.

Tbh that's just what liking lore in Mihoyo games does. Honkai doesn't even the most insane conspiracy boards compared to Genshin which is all about gnosticism and a shitload of references to ancient philosophy and stuff like color theory. :kheldragar:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah like it's hard to say Honkai Impact doesn't matter when Welt a main cast member, is the same Welt from Honkai Impact who traveled to this universe. Alongside a potential major villain, the Void Archives. Silver Wolf is very likely just Bronie/Haxxor Bunny from the Captainverse who last time we saw her had her own universe traveling powers. Imaginary and Quanta are powers here and their relation to the Imaginary Tree and Sea of Quanta is still important. I'm sure they will introduce those for new players, but they are too important of concepts to just not bring up. Doubly so when first planet spoilers Cocolia turns into a form that looks exactly like the Herrscher of Frost via a stellaron. Something is up with the Aeons and Stellarons and their connection to Honkai will be important.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Honestly the most annoying thing for me about the long HI3 wiki post The obviously milquetoast wiki explination of Sisterly love for Bronya/Seele....they gay

To be fair they do call each other sisters, but it feels in the same way as in America Haruka and Michiru are cousins. Bronya/Seele get the rare honor of actually being depicted kissing in official media. They are as confirmed a couple as Kiana and Mei are.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

the sisters thing is one of those things that doesnt translate well because in a cn sense the two people of the same sex who arent actually related calling each other brothers/sisters = gay coding thing is all over old fiction and in a jp sense the whole 'sisters' thing is really common in old yuri manga from the 80s/90s. its not really like american haruka and michiru more just playing into tropes.

I didn't know that was a trope in CN stuff, cool to learn. I do know in Japanese you can sometimes refer to someone with a familial term but not have to be related.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there any harm in freely leveling up any character I am interested in running with? Level up materials in Genshin were never scarce and I get the feeling it is the same here.

Up to 40 is pretty free, 40-50 starts taking up a lot of stamina, so you will want to slow down and focus on a smaller pool of people then.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/nagiwww7/status/1652699957227560960

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Gepard and March pair together really well actually, March's counter only cares if they're shielded, not if it's March's shield. Double ice is less nice but March falls off once mobs start doing tons of aoe so it's a solid pair. Gepard's shield is WAY beefier than Fireblazers.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

That's fair, I'd just worry about either missing out on healing or damage throughout.

I like using my faves, optimization be damned. :shobon:

I mean you can pair the other group shielder with Nat regardless, and both groups are WAY safer. I think I would prefer Nat + Fireblazer just because the smaller shields do let aoe damage through but I don't have their second con yet.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

jokes posted:

Am I loving up for using Dan, march, and MC in my main party? They seem really strong/reliable and complement each others poo poo really well. I also bring Asta, which is I guess the most basic comp in the game.

I somehow nabbed Welt and Seele from the beginner banner, and I don't like either of them but Seele is extremely strong. Unfortunately, not many people have dark weaknesses and a shitload have wind/ice/physical, so...

A LOT has Imaginary it feels, honestly it's like something either is quantum or imaginary weak. Both those characters are amazing and I highly recommend swapping to them. Or at least keeping them caught up. Dan is the most boring of the starter characters, but if you get him enough crit to proc his slow he is pretty solid. March is decent the whole way through, she even gets a cleanse which is VERY valuable. MC is also good in this game, so you're not hamstringing yourself at all.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

I just hope relics stay at level 9 being the maximum because I can throw them on and forget they exist a bit easier than genshin

15 is the max for 5*s. Still lower than Genshin and they are giving out relic exp pretty regularly as a reward from stuff so much better than Genshin...even if they will probably be worse in the long run with more stats to ruin your substat rolls with.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Now you have effect hit and effect res to troll you. Totally ready to only roll those on Seele relics. :shepicide:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kanos posted:

Honestly even if I were a huge whale I'd probably be slamming character pulls because if I were trying to giga min max, some of the eidolons for existing characters look way more impactful to your powerlevel than a slightly more optimal light cone effect.

Question about the pity system: on the limited banners, you hit the coinflip hard pity at 90, and then you're guaranteed the banner character the next time you hit 90. I've also been told it carries over between banners.

So, to make sure I'm clear on how this works: Say you pull on the Seele banner 90 times and get an off-banner. You then pull on the banner again 30 times, but don't get a 5*. If the banner then rotated to Jing Yuan, would you be 60 pulls from a guaranteed Jing Yuan?

Correct. Your pulls are never 'wasted'.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Wind feels the most thematic to the Hunt which is why they're probably going to blindside us with Imaginary or something.

I kind of want Imaginary and Quantum to be the final two power sets given their importance in Honkai and that they are the base makeup of the universe, but a big part of that is my unreasonable desire that Stelle is Sirin and when she finally gets imaginary power her hair will turn purple.

Clarste posted:

Doesn't the Genshin shop rotate every month? You could go like half a year without seeing them iirc. In that sense it's actually faster to get a targeted 5* from a banner.

Another nice thing in Star Rail is that the free characters aren't slaves to the standard banner, you will roll March and Dan cons while going for limited chars. Hell they may even be rate ups.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Revitalized posted:

What constitutes a "follow-up attack" for skill or blessing descriptions?

Clara and March's counter attacks, Herta's kuru-kuru and Himeko's deal. It's basically any attack that occurs automatically.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

GateOfD posted:

at what levels does a new random substat get added to relics.
gonna have nightmares like with genshin again with chasing the rng...

https://twitter.com/Sesield/status/1652871239235670018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

m.hache posted:

Single pulled seele. Time for Ting, seele shenanigans

Get Tinyun some speed so she goes before Seele, adn that combo is just brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Pela does more damage the more debuffs are present, she would probably love to be in a dot comp.