Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This seems pretty fun so far; the beginning story content has actually been a pretty satisfying difficulty (though I imagine that will change drastically once I start properly leveling characters up).

Haven't gotten anyone that great using the starting rolls yet, but there's no way in hell I'm rerolling for this (due to the pity system I'm pretty sure luck ends up evening out in the long run anyways). Got a Natasha, a copy of Asta, Arlan, Hook, and Serval. Natasha is apparently a healer, which is nice; I could have really used one of those during a couple of the story fights.

edit: I like that the gear system seems pretty simple. I was worried it'd be like Honkai Impact's, which is extremely confusing. From what I can tell, the only gear is those cards (that seem equivalent to Genshin's weapons).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

This game is way funnier than I was expecting.

Make sure you’re clicking on the object descriptions. Some have made me laugh out loud.

I've enjoyed the dialogue; it seems like it takes the goofy dialogue options from Genshin Impact and just makes them even more frequent.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One minor issue I have is that I do find the plot a bit harder to follow than Genshin's was. Genshin's main story is generally very straight-forward and introduces things to you pretty gradually, while this suddenly thrusts you into a scifi setting. I don't really have a firm grasp of the broader setting here, while in Genshin I could pretty quickly grasp "it's just a world with countries, and each country is lead/represented by a an elemental god (and there's probably other stuff going on, but it's not directly relevant to the plot yet)."

I feel like this actually would have benefited from a straight lore-dump cutscene at the very beginning of the game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When do you get whatever this game's equivalent of "XP item grinding levels" is? I'm guessing I should be sorta close. I just did the metaverse introduction stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does the beginner banner guarantee a 5*?

Edit: By the time you finish it off anyways; obviously not in the first 10-pull since I've done 3 so far.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

You can only do 50 pulls on it, and you're guaranteed a 5* on your 50th pull if you haven't gotten one from it already. If you get one before then, you can still do all your pulls on it, but you aren't guaranteed another one at the end.

Ah, nice. That's good to know.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just hid in a closet and jumped out to spook a room service guy. Game owns.

Edit: Also you can interact with a ton of things in general, many of which are funny. They give you a lot of opportunities to make the protagonist act like a weirdo, it's great.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The memos at least are definitely too long. I haven't read most of them. I'll try to get around to it at some point, since you can at least just read them later.

I like the texting stuff. IMO texting can be a great way to give characters extra characterization. It was also great in the original Steins;Gate VN (and probably the only serious loss to seeing it via the anime).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been enjoying the story a lot more since going to this planet. Fun game.

Also, Simulated Universe is pretty fun. Reminds me a bit of the Arknights roguelike thing.

The Aeons you see in the Simulated Universe are also cool and look like proper mysterious eldritch god things.

Edit: I also finally got a 5* - Welt. From what I understand he isn't one of the best ones, but he's a lot of fun to use and has a cool looking Ultimate. His field effect seems quite strong and he seems to do a lot of debuffs with his Skill. Plus he's some weird element I don't have yet on anyone else. Also his overworld attack is a cool black hole-looking ranged attack.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 27, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding elements, do they actually do anything (aside from break enemies weak to them)? The ice characters I have can freeze, but I think that's just a separate effect and not something inherent to the ice element. They just seem like an excuse to need different party compositions for different enemies (which isn't a bad thing exactly*, but also makes the elements less interesting when they don't have any sort of inherent effects or reactions).

* Is there a way to know (beforehand) what elements you'll encounter in any given "dungeon" set of enemy encounters? Sort of like Genshin's domains?

Clarste posted:

Each area has a few higher level enemies guarding big treasure boxes. I think you're meant to come back for them later, but that's a pain so I try to just kill them ASAP. After you get to the next planet you can farm EXP items and from that point on there's not much reason not to have everyone at max level for your Trailblazer rank at all times.

Those enemies have been relatively challenging, though I imagine this is partly because it's the early game and my characters aren't even remotely built up.

Sort of like how early-game Genshin Impact doesn't even remotely resemble what late-game is like, though this is partly due to the massive impact of artifacts (is there anything similar to this in this game?).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 27, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there a good list of useful 3* Light Cones somewhere? I feel like someone posted stuff about this earlier in this thread, but not sure where.

Also, am I correct in thinking that having multiple people of the same element can be useful sometimes? I have a Pela who can reduce ice res, which only really seems useful if I have another ice character to take advantage of it (in this case March 7).

edit: One other thing; are the 5* light cones worth saving up for (which seems like it would take a very long time since they cost 600 of that currency)? Or is it worth getting "constellations" for the 4*s on it? Those light cones seem like the biggest difference between that shop and Genshin's equivalent one; it's like if Genshin's had some 5* weapons in it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 27, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pootiebigwang posted:

Been playing this on my Steam Deck through Moonlight and enjoying it but my only major complaint about the controller support is the lack of look inversion. Thankfully it's an easy fix in the Steam Deck controller menu but the fact that there isn't any in game inversion support seems strange for a game made in 2023.

Ah, I was thinking of trying exactly this; nice to know it works. I mostly play games like this or Genshin Impact while laying in bed on my phone, but it'd be nicer to have the much better graphics from streaming it from my PC (plus bigger screen from the Steam Deck).

A lot of the interface is actually more intuitive with a touch screen, though; especially since this isn't an action game like Genshin. I feel like these games are actually primarily developed with mobile play in mind.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the final boss of the first Simulated Universe world would be really hard (at level) without a healer. Anything that has strong AoE attacks seems like it would quickly become a problem without healing.

Good Citizen posted:

Ended up dropping March to land on a Clara/Trailblazer (fire)/Pela/Natasha team and I’m basically an industrial mulcher now. I know Tingyun is supposed to be better than Pela but I haven’t got a Tingyun and the game just keeps throwing Pela dupes at me so I have her up to Eidolon 3 now. Also her defense shred and buff removal makes everything easier and outright stops some boss gimmicks which is cool.

Pela does a very significant amount of damage. I think she might be my highest single-target damage in most circumstances (I think Welt does more when there's only one enemy, causing all the shots from his Skill to hit them).

I'm still kind of confused about a number of mechanical things. Like Speed - I get that it influences turn order, but does this have "rounds" (such that Speed does nothing if someone is already going first) or can high speed result in party members having more turns than enemies (in which case it seems quite powerful). I've been just using Asta's Ultimate (which buffs speed) the instant it comes up, on the assumption that there's no reason not to for a non-damage stat buff like that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's basically just like Genshin was near release. You're expected to do daily content, and in a few months everyone will have everything unlocked and none of this will matter, so it doesn't really make sense to spend effort trying to hurry to higher trailblazer ranks (aside from maybe getting far enough to unlock the stuff necessary to complete the battlepass before it ends).

If anything, I would advise enjoying these early parts of the game where no one knows much of anything. In time all the mystique will be gone and the internet will be full of "optimal party comps." This is basically the equivalent of the phase of Genshin where I just ran around physical attacking things with Jean, my first 5* (she has this really cool ability where her charged attack crowd-controls smaller enemies - it's pretty useless in the late-game when Jean is primarily a healer, but it's great if you're just using her as your "main character" in the early game!).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

tbf i think this game will get way less Optimized to death than genshin because the combat being turnbased is inherently more restrictive and the balance seems a lot better

That's true. I don't think the developers even had a great understanding of how the Genshin game mechanics interacted at release (which is why you have those few beginning 4* characters that are absurdly powerful). I think this is primarily due to elemental reactions, which are dramatically more simple and predictable in this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Got it working on Steam Deck (streaming with Moonlight) and this is basically the perfect way to play, at least for me. Also need to do this for Genshin.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

padijun posted:

lmao, you get an achievement for using the "oooooooouuuhh my tummy hurts" type dialog options enough

I feel like the protagonist is actually explicitly characterized as a guy/girl who isn't exactly the typical "kind and helpful to a fault" RPG protagonist. There are many situations where your only dialogue options are variations on "gently caress you, I better be getting something good out of this."

It's good and gives the protagonist a lot more personality than in most games like this. I think it's partly due to a good localization as well.

boredsatellite posted:

I'm somewhat fine with it for now because sidequests pop up at that time and also its a reminder for me to go use up the stamina on one of the exp tree things

I like it mainly because I prefer playing games in relatively short bursts and it's nice just being explicitly told "you won't gain much from continuing today."

I could see it being annoying if you're trying to play the game like a "normal" PC/console game, though. But I mostly just play in bed while listening to podcasts.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I did it with everyone at level 20+ascension and it was completely trivial. Main Character + March + Dan Heng + Natasha. Natasha never needed to heal. I was mostly picking cards which gave me shields or gave a bonus to characters with shields.

Surprised you didn't need to heal. I can only shield one person at a time with March, and the boss does strong AoE attacks. I was fine because I had Natasha, but I'm pretty sure I would have lost if I didn't.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 28, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how the game lets you fill out a hotel survey, which your character takes very seriously.

I've gotten 3 of these scale items from doing stuff like that. One I traded with a fountain for (I think) some synthesis material.

Plotwise, it seems like your Stellaron "ability" is going to function sorta like the Echo in FF14, where you get random visions/dreams about the Stellaron-relatrd plot stuff on planets you visit.

Edit: One other thing I like, that I really hope continues, is that there's actually a core "party" with you during the plot. This was something really missing from Genshin. Hopefully March/Dan Heng stay as part of your team.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 28, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dan Heng sums up the protagonist's personality in these texts:

"Found an old Express communication log in the data bank, and one of the categories is Dad Jokes."
"I don't fully understand it, but my instincts tell me you should be able to."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I got the "Make the World Clamor" light cone on my first warp on that page, but the text makes it sound like it's only guaranteed if you do 20?

edit: What's with the inventory/storage stuff? Can you only send two things to your account or something?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hm, if I'm understanding correctly, you can only actually claim two of the items you get from this (and you get them from an in-game mission)?

So you basically want to keep doing the warps in the hopes that you get two 4* relics (which seem to be the best things you can get)?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I just pulled Gepard and he and March 7 own bones.

She gets so many retaliatory strikes.

Oh yeah, she'd benefit from that wouldn't she? I guess it doesn't have to be *her* shield.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This random NPC that does multiple full rap songs. They put significant effort into that localization.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ It looks like this game is really going all in on the convoluted abilities. Curious to see what they'll come up with in the future.

I also just unlocked Qingque. Her abilities are a bit confusing to read about.

Now that I have second ascensions on characters, I need to start deliberately farming up materials, though. And it'll get harder to try out new characters due to the higher expense to make them viable. Probably won't try to maintain more than 7 or 8 for now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Forget if I mentioned, but I got a second 5* - Bailu. She is very convenient and seems to charge her Ultimate up pretty easily. Her field talent is also kind of handy - it effectively lets everyone start the fight with a "shield" (it's this ability that makes characters heal in response to damage, so functionally similar to a shield). Her Skill is kind of interesting in comparison with Natasha's; Natasha has (usually) higher overall single-target healing "per skill point" due to the HoT, but Bailu's randomly bounces twice, giving more potential healing overall, but with an element of randomness (sometimes it won't bounce to the ideal person). Natasha's is probably better if you have an actual tank soaking up most damage. Definitely prefer Bailu's Ult though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What did other people choose for that one quest in the space station where you have to decide whether to lie to that love poem guy or tell him the truth?

I told the truth, solely because I wanted to see how the guy would react. The old guy was absolutely correct about lying probably being the more moral option, though.

Clarste posted:

It's just in case you want 2 of them on different characters, like you imagined. Maybe it doesn't matter so much for 4* ones, but I'm sure having two copies of a 5* lightcone is more valuable than one slightly better one. Maybe. The fact that you can switch them between people even in the Simulated World does make it less valuable to have spares of the same class, though.

Just from reading their effects, I feel like 5* Light Cones in this have a bigger impact (relative to lower rarity ones) than 5* weapons in Genshin do relative to their 4* alternatives.

It might change once I actually get dupes of 4* Light Cones and can upgrade them in that way, though I currently only have one 4* for most character types.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how the protagonist is almost always an rear end in a top hat when texting and makes fun of people constantly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm enjoying the "regular" (non-story/companion) quests in this, or at least the space station ones. They seem more interesting than the Genshin equivalents and often involve weird sci-fi stuff.

These memory bubble things are also pretty weird/interesting. Reminds me of those text bits in Nier.

Edit: Which of the 4* (+ Trailblazer) Destruction people is best? I've been investing in Trailblazer, but there's also Hook and Arlan. Arlan has an element no one else I use has (other than Bailu, who rarely attacks).

I have two 4* Destruction Light Cones, so I'm not sure who to give the second.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 29, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The text cuts off, but does that make healing convert into some damage? That'd be really nice. My Bailu is just using a 4* that increases Energy Regen + Ultimate Healing (which seems good since I do most of her healing via her Ultimate).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I'm as far along as I am because the game is charming as hell and I want to mainline it like a drug.

The best way I can put it is that the game has "good vibes." Something about its general tone with the writing/music/etc works really well.

frajaq posted:

holy moly some of you people are so far ahead of me... I've just done the climatic Jarilo-VI fight and still have so many side quests to do...

I'm still not done with Jarilo lol (I'm pretty soon after you fight Svarog). I've been taking my time, because I know that the drought between starting story content and the next major story content is usually one of the longest.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I find that like 90% of the time I notice people strongly disliking a character that I thought seemed fine/unremarkable, it's because of that character having a weird/bad English dub. In Sampo's case, he's just supposed to be "a bullshit artist who is very unreliable and untrustworthy, but ultimately isn't a bad guy" (and probably has some stuff going on that I haven't seen yet, but the gist of his characterization is clear).

A good example of this is Ghondor from Xenoblade 3, who is apparently very obnoxious in English but is originally just "a rebellious teen." Granted, I'm not sure how best to translate "kuso-onna" to English, but I'm pretty sure the answer isn't the "bitchqueen" the localization went with. Even just "bitch" would have been better, but still a little too intense since curse words don't really work the same in Japanese.

This isn't a knock on English dubs in general and is more just a general comment that "if a character seems really annoying, it might be due to the dub." The biggest weaknesses of contemporary English VA vs their Japanese counterparts tend to be 1. worse/less directing (like situations where the English VAs are obviously just handed the script and given little/no direction) and/or 2. less prominent characters in English dubs often have worse voice acting. The big names in English VA are great these days, but their seem to be fewer high quality ones so the Japanese ones are often more reliable for games with larger numbers of voiced characters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

Fun fact, you start needing two teams at the 10th stage.

Also I've honestly not felt like I've needed a healer so far. But I did get Gepard as my beginner 5* and I gotta tell you that guy does wonders for survivability. My usual go-to team is Phys Trailblazer, Gepard, Seele and Asta, works pretty well. I was using Dan until I got Seele and it was fine but there's something hilarious about stacking Seele's personal SPD buff and naturally high SPD with Asta's SPD buff. I should maybe replace Phys Trailblazer with someone else but I don't have Susheng and having a modular Ult comes in handy surprisingly often too.

Gepard's full party shield probably makes up for the healing. But without him, you'd just have March's single-target shields, and you'll end up inevitably taking damage you can't heal from. Plus March's require skill points, which hurts your DPS. I feel like one advantage to this game being turn-based is that they can make more non-damage abilities useful. In Genshin, healing/shields are usually a luxury (especially since you can heal with food in everything other than Abyss). Though I guess Genshin has movement-based abilities that can't be reproduced here.

My Phys Trailblazer is actually one of my highest damage-dealers currently, mainly because one of the quests (or area currency?) gave a full set of Phys damage relics (so he's the only one benefiting from that). Having 5 Eidolons (I think that's what they're called) for him also helps.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The music in the space station reminds me of something. Phantasy Star? I haven't played that game since the early aughts, but I want to say that music is similar.

Hellioning posted:

In my experience every team in Genshin needs a healer/shielder it's just that most of them have other benefits too so it doesn't hurt.

My teams need a healer or shielder (because I'm not very good), but with skill and enough DPS you can get by without them (and even I could probably get by without them in non-Abyss content if I'm willing to use food).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Sure, it might not be 9/11. But why did 9/11 happen? I'll tell you why. It happened because of posts like this.

Is it ever explained why some of the characters in this have super powers? Like some of the main cast it makes sense, because they have random weird things going on, but why can Seele move at super speed with a glowing scythe (or the other characters who aren't part of the protagonist's elite organization)?

Normally I'd just ignore it, but in Genshin it's explained as "powers from Visions or being a god" and (from what I understand) in Honkai they're part of some group that has special powers used to fight the bad guys.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

m.hache posted:

Did I miss what a "follow up attack" is? I'm getting a lot of the synergy cards in world 1 and have no idea how to trigger it.

My guess is that a follow-up attack is like the thing Himeko did when she joined the party for a bit. Or March's attacks when enemies attack shielded allies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I find myself actually remembering who these NPCs on the space station are. Something about these quests makes them more memorable. I wonder if that one old guy (who knew the guy who created the soda) periodically has new gossip, or if it updated in response to finishing quests.

Also finished World 2 in the simulated universe. Its boss was a massive difficulty spike over all the other enemies in it. Relied pretty heavily on Bailu's healing (and Asta still died twice because she only has like 700-something max HP). The exploding guys were also a pain because I didn't have any good ways to hit their weaknesses (only Bailu, who isn't exactly good at breaking shields). Had some useful buffs that helped with energy regen, though (which makes a big difference for healing).

GateOfD posted:

Relic equipping is a pain. Tried to use rec.gear option but if the spaces are filled already, you have to take them out, kind of makes that pointless.

I find the relic (and artifact in Genshin) interface to be really awkward with a controller. It's less awkward on mobile (for the most part, but removing stuff you've select is a pain because the minus symbol is so tiny and hard to hit with your finger).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Lore posting is fine IMO, but you have a tendency to get wound up about things (like I specifically recognize you as "the poster who frequently gets wound up about social media"). My recommendation is to go do something else any time you start feeling emotions about posts. This probably sounds condescending, but it's something I actually do myself any time I start feeling mad/defensive online.

Meowywitch posted:

Anyway I'm like 60 rolls in and still haven't gotten a 5* from Seele's banner. I'll probably have to wait till TB 25's free rolls to finally trigger it. Fingers crossed.

This is, unfortunately, normal. I've played Genshin since release, and very rarely get a 5* before soft pity. You should generally act under the assumption that this will be the case (with the exception of something like "rolling on a banner where I don't want its 5*," since that can gently caress you over if you get "lucky").

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 30, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

It's weird that they call the main character The Trailblazer when everyone on the train is a Trailblazer. March 7 is a Trailblazer. Dan Heng is a Trailblazer.

Wrong. This is actually clever foreshadowing that everyone else is lying to you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apparently everyone on the space station is a hyper-genius who was the smartest person from their country/planet. And then there's the protagonist, who is just this dumb guy making fun of them in text messages (though I guess some people, like security, probably aren't hyper-geniuses).

I like the side-quest where the wubbaboos are mourning this random guy who was a genius on his home planet but completely forgettable on the station. And their sentiment is proved right when other people are like "no I don't remember that guy" :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Someone commented on the Eidolon upgrades being weak, buy I'm looking at the first one for Sushang (which I don't have) and "restores one skill point when using skill on a broken enemy" seems really good (and better than most Genshim constellations).