Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

free mustache rides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

So uh, I just met Bode. His voice sounded familiar. Was wondering if I was being too optimistic

Nope! It's Noshir Dalal, who plays Charles in Red Dead Redemption 2 and Kotallo in Horizon Forbidden West

It is a good day

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Really enjoying this. Taking my time in the first open planet. Everything in it has a cowboy'western vibe - the scenery, the locals, the enemies, the outfits, and so on. Somewhere between the Mojave Wasteland of New Vegas and the New Austin area of Red Dead Redemption.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I like how organic the environments feel. I dug them well enough in Fallen Order; here they seem less... videogame-y? Yeah there are still the markers for wall runs and the like, but a fair few of the side paths take some scrutiny to find. The lighting and sound are top notch as well.

Other than that, I was not expecting so many animal friends :3:

isk fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 30, 2023

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Crossguard/Staff is working for me. The former is effective on single targets, the latter chews through crowds (whether they're ranged or melee). One bonus for the Crossguard: the running attack is a drop kick. Like, full on WWE, Kiryu Kazama, Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible II

isk
Oct 3, 2007

daaaaaaaaaaaaang

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Semi-related: Once you get to the training dummy in Jedha (it's in the critical path), put on the headband and hit the dummy with a weapon

Achievement unlocked: Cobra Cal

isk
Oct 3, 2007

PageMaster posted:

What are you supposed to do against the Hammer guys? When fighting them isn't a stuttering mess, I can't seem to find any way to dodge their AOE slam since radius is large enough to still hit after two evades away, and jumping.

Jump -> air dash worked for me. Usually. It's a bigass radius

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Give Turgle the garden. Let chaos rule

isk
Oct 3, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

what

why did the game never tell me I could do that??

I'm pretty sure it does. I don't recall where exactly, but it's somewhere

isk
Oct 3, 2007

explosivo posted:

So uh seems like I should probably stay away from this on PC for a little bit more?

That's the safest bet. It's run OK on my end, and a fair bit better after the patch. I've only crashed a couple times. In each case, it was during a long play session, and ziplining was involved. Might be related to asset streaming or motion blur

My advice: If you're about to do a puzzle or a section with a lot of platforming, be sure to save first

isk
Oct 3, 2007

IIRC as part of directing TFA, Abrams was on the hook to plan the remaining two movies. In typical JJ Abrams fashion, he just... didn't do that. He set up Rian Johnson and crew for failure, they made a flawed-but-interesting (and at least thoughtful in parts) story, and then Abrams acted like a toddler who didn't like sharing his toy for a minute.

He has chronic creator brain in that he gets halfway through a project, gets stuck in the mid-project doldrums that are part of most endeavors, then bails on that project so he can explore a new unrelated one. Lost was the canary in the mine. He spread himself too thin for over a decade, and it finally caught up to him with TRoS. He was forced to both a) finish the plan he never made in the first place, b) accept a handoff from another creative that he wasn't prepared for, and c) nod along with a bad executive decision (PALPATINE).

I agree it would be interesting to see Abrams lead an project from start to finish; for my bit, it's less "I think the material will be fun and layered" and more "dude's a talking trainwreck who is just now learning the importance of plans".

Anyway, I think he should stick with one-shots (like Super 8). Keep him far away from ongoing series; he doesn't have the creative discipline to see them through. Make more Star Wars stories like Andor and Fallen Order/Survivor - but don't lump all that on Gilroy/Respawn/et al. Let other creatives carry the cognitive load so the existing ones aren't overburdened.

isk fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 18, 2023

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I would love for Denis Villeneuve to make a one off Star Wars movie.

Villeneuve for a Nightsisters of Dathomir story pls. Make it weird (as in Robert E. Howard's Weird Tales, not "that awkward coworker we all know")

isk
Oct 3, 2007

isk fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 20, 2023

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

Luke being a giant weirdo uncle was great IMHO, it´s just a shame about the rest of the movie.

I agree about Luke; I will say turning a capital ship into an anti-fascist railgun is about the dopest way to go out imo

isk
Oct 3, 2007

black.lion posted:

So, if I go ahead and finish out the story, I can still run around and clear the map exploration stuff and do the fractures or whatever that I skipped (and Oggdo lmao)?

You can. There's even a few discoverables and conversations that open up only after the final fight

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, imagine how different TPM would have been if Qui-Gon and Obi-wan ran into Turgle instead of Jar Jar. Stare off into the middle distance and imagine it.

Instead of facilitating Palpatine's takeover, Senator Turgle just makes everyone laugh

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

The thing I struggled with the most is basically any time there was more than 1 melee enemy in range I would end up stun locked or worse because you would have two or three enemies throwing attacks, often red ones you can't block. I was somewhat annoyed that there are red attacks that precision evade doesn't work on that have indistinguishable windups from different red attacks that precision evade does work on. Also that you can have 3 or 4 enemies all sending red attacks at you at the same time. And a few red attacks that are super long AoE chains that home in on you in tight spaces, like how am I supposed to dodge this 5 second long spinning axe attack from a murderdroid while we are fighting in a closet? Also about halfway into the story I flipped on automatically win button mashes accessibility option and never looked back.

In these cases, crowd control abilities are king. Mind Trick reduces the number of targets attacking you by 1 while doubling potential targets for your enemies. And that's just one ability; there are a couple others that can not only level the field but make you stronger than in the early game. The game admittedly doesn't always lay this out.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Dogen posted:

It’s wild that the technical issues are “same as the first game, but worse somehow”

Like, you’d think the sequel on the same engine they’d have figured some poo poo out

I think the technical issues make some sense when factoring in the series' leap to the next (now current) console generation. It's always a risk, even with good project management. Compare Sony Santa Monica's approach with GoW & GoW: Ragnarok, where the most obvious visual upgrade is being able to play at 60 FPS (at least most of the time).

Not saying one is necessarily better than the other; I just think it's more complex than carrying over an engine from one game to another (which by itself is non-trivial).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Robots who argue with each other like the kids from Stranger Things

(legit one of my favorite parts of the game)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Easy compromise. Get his attention, and then push him into the canyon when he pulls his blaster.

Jedi Master Raylan Givens

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I Force Lift so I can protect Turgle from all danger

isk
Oct 3, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I still find it hard to fathom how the game ended up as vast and enjoyable as it did. Two thirds of its development were handled during the apocalypse and even though it's had its fair share of issues, I consider it a modern classic.

:same:

IMO tech issues + recency bias led to its general shutout in last year's awards. I really like Survivor. I think the VOs did a hell of a job. Between RDR2, Horizon: FW, and now Survivor, Noshir Dalal has become one of my favorites. Always delivers no matter the scope of the role. Not unlike Jon Bernthal, really

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Filoni's been stretched too thin for me to want him anywhere near the next Jedi game. It's a reason why his stuff in the Disney+ era has been inconsistent. The last thing the next Jedi game needs is yet another connection to existing characters. If Filoni's part of it, the connection would likely be tenuous and perfunctory and unsatisfying, like they are in Ahsoka and Obi-Wan and Boba Fett.

Part of what makes the Jedi games interesting to me is the same reason Andor is - the ties to existing characters are brief and powerful. The narrative focuses on new lenses through which to view important events, along with strong character development and understandable motivations. Can Filoni pull that off? Probably. But his recent track record indicates it's unlikely, at least without a long creative break and/or a partner with the judgment and autonomy to tell him when to stuff his superficial fanservice-y inserts.

isk fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

Nah. You're poorly reframing it. I don't want to see the same tired opinions over and over. It's boring. The complaining is boring. The people who defend the complaining are boring. Again, they are fine opinions, but they are not new ones. If you like boring old opinions and then feel threatened when they are pointed out, I don't know what to tell you. I guess you could derail this video game thread into bitching about Kenobi for two whole pages. But, again, the TVIV thread exists for that.

That's just, like, my opinion.

counterpoint: so far it's been like a quarter of a page in a relatively subdued thread

one thing I think we can all agree on: