Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Interesting

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1653145142856138761?s=20

When do we get AI to replace junior to middle management at the corporate and government levels? Might almost enjoy watching that unfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommieGIR posted:

This guys a loving moron.

Is it the kind of thing you say to pump the stock numbers up then quietly table it later maybe?

I'm not a business guy, it all seems loving dumb to me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/RapUpdatesTv/status/1650151614919892993?s=20

Wild

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hopefully they can get above 23% turnout.

https://circle.tufts.edu/2022-election-center

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

So what? Society has been progressing pretty steadily since the end of the middle ages.

Yes and it still hosted multiple genocides and holocausts along the way. It's hard to be comforted by the "long arc of history bending towards justice" when the current justices are bending over for Nazi cash.

I agree with your optimism but I think the future "good times" are going to be outside of the USA for the upcoming generation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Personally, I'm furious that the Democrats didn't vote to cure cancer and end world poverty while they had a majority. So many problems could have been solved if only they'd had the nerve.

What is this poo poo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

Just like the whole body evenly becomes inflamed? On a cellular level?

Nah its more that your inflammatory response is heightened, so anything that triggers inflammation can do so to a slightly greater extent and/or turn itself back off more slowly.

Type II diabetics have this feature. Longer lasting inflammation means you do more damage to areas where inflammation is activated. If that's in your intestines then congrats you probably have Crohn's disease or something like it. Or if its in just part of your intestine then its IBD. If you have it in joints its arthritis of said joint etc. Inflammation of heart tissues due to prior minor damage (smoking, chronic alcohol use etc) can cause heart diseases.

This is way way oversimplified but Im a microbiologist and remembering my immunology from memory, don't kill me if I messed that up a lil but I think its close enough for now.

The microbiome stuff is fascinating, it's what I work on (tangentially) and I teach a senior lvl college class on it.

the ti;dr for microbiomes is "it's complicated".

Inflammation being a driver of microbiome composition is a thing, and microbiome composition driving inflammation further upwards is also a thing, so if you have a "bad" microbiome composition, ie less diverse for total species and more enriched in a few particular species (could be lots of things and not always the same ones for every person) then you're more likely to cause inflammation or, in other diseases, the metabolism of certain things that can even start altering blood chemistry / body regulation and level of some neurotransmitters etc.

It's usually hard to pin down on a single species or even genus of microbes involved in these things because each individual person harbors a slightly different community of microbes. Think of it as like, standard vs metric on cars. Both are cars, and the engines are very similar and with the same layout and all but the pieces are slightly different. Both bolts, but just enough different sizes that each kind of belongs to their own community. So instead of a single piece common between both individuals, we kinda look for ones that are most similar and have identical function vs being a perfect match via identity.

Sorry getting in the weeds and also modestly stoned rn.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nystral posted:

So my interpretation is that inflamed here means something like ulcerative colitis where parts / all of your intestines are inflamed seemingly at random. I had not considered that a poop pill may be the answer but knowing some folk with UCI I’ll start looking into it and suggest it as a possible treatment option to discuss with their doctor.

Yes, see above post.

I can't recall where we are right now for deliverables on fecal transplants for IBD, Chron's etc but I know it was being heavily tested, probably could be available.

We've been using fecal transplants for treatment of people with C. difficile infections (caused in part by post operative massive antibiotic usage). Basically the antibiotics kill most of your "good" microbiome and the C. difficile bacteria if its present there is the last man standing (effectively) when everything else dies from antibiotics. It shoots up in number and causes problems / damages the intestines and leads to sepsis and death.

Fecal transplants when Cdiff starts up are very very effective, afaik that was the 1st use for them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kick-Puncher posted:

In a very capitalist fashion you can purchase pills from Olympic athlete's gut microbiome to in theory make you a better at working out or something.

I wonder it there is a company selling smart people's poo poo yet

Sadly the persons own genetics, behavior and who they cohabitate with are the big drivers of microbiome composition.

There may be some very specific things that you could transfer over like sone bacteria in there can metabolize a drug more efficiently or differently but other than that it’s unlikely to give you any performance increases.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Does the felony apply to those that hired them knowingly?

(don't @ me it's a rhetorical question)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

No just the worker. Employers get escalating fines, though.

How much do we want to bet that the fines do not offset the cost savings of hiring them in the first place?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

not a chance in hell, Meatball Ron already hurt his feelings

Yup. They’ll find some quiet failson somewhere that wont stand up to him that plays nice with the evangelicals.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

At least he admitted he isn't President.

The whole show was stupid. He isn't even a declared candidate, and giving him a platform does nothing worthwhile. They should have cut his feed as soon as he refused to admit he lost.

I have zero evidence for this so don't ask for receipts here but I think this was largely calculated by CNN. Tucker just got knocked off Fox, CNN was taken over by pretty far right conservatives a while back and this is a big moment for them to try to wrest away some of the Fox eyeballs.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Basticle posted:

Greg Abbott's time to shine

Well I walked / rolled into that one

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Once you can get your head around browning and deglazing steps in dishes and seasoning / salting a bit as you go the overall quality of what you’re cooking goes up a lot. Partially carmelizing onions and deglazing with a splash of vermouth is much better than just heating up cold butter and onions until soft and then adding stock or other veggies.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He went berserk right before election day 2020 in a way that suggests he either believed in the whole "Democrats are coming for True Christian Americans" or he was just having a nervous breakdown about the election like any sane person should.

From memory i think he was just having a real breakdown and idk if it was super toxic stuff but hell if i am sure now. He could be awful.

Chris Kimball from Americas Test Kitchen was universally known as a shithead to work with/ big ego problems which is why he left / got pushed out and does his own show.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

I mostly remember it being bizarre and the lovely stuff came off as being sarcastic/mocking the people who actually believe it.

I've heard stories of him telling homohobic "jokes" in the past but more recently I've heard that he left the Southern Baptist church in part because of their anti-LGBT teachings. :shrug:

Yeah that tracks with what I remember, imperfect as it is

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

YouTube is apparently "experimenting" with adblocker detection and disabling content for those that use them.

https://www.ign.com/articles/google-responds-to-reports-of-ad-blockers-being-banned-on-youtube

Guess that's one way to convince folks to shell out for YouTube premium...if they actually go through with it.

Lol gently caress that. Im sure someone will do a workaround somehow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So i guess the free speech doesn’t apply to everyone after all…

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

"displaying traits of an armed person," such as having a pulse

I thought it was being black

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

More hits for Musk

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/elon-musk-loses-bid-modify-135254681.html

quote:

NEW YORK (Reuters) -A federal appeals court on Monday rejected Elon Musk's bid to modify or end his 2018 securities fraud settlement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission that required a Tesla Inc lawyer to approve some of his tweets in advance.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan rejected Musk's claim that the SEC exploited his consent decree to conduct bad-faith, harassing investigations that violated his First Amendment free speech rights under the U.S. Constitution.

Musk's decree resolved an SEC lawsuit accusing him of defrauding investors with an Aug. 7, 2018, tweet that he had "funding secured" to take his electric car company private.

It required advance review of tweets that might contain material information about Tesla. Musk and Tesla each also paid $20 million in civil fines, and Musk gave up his role as chairman.

In the appeal, Musk's lawyers called the pre-approval mandate a "government-imposed muzzle" that amounted to an illegal prior restraint on his speech.

But the three-judge appeals court panel said the SEC had opened just two subsequent inquiries into Musk's tweets, and those tweets "plausibly violated" the decree's terms.

The panel said the SEC's "limited, appropriate inquiries in this case have not made compliance with the consent decree 'substantially more onerous'" for Musk, as he had argued.

It also said Musk chose to allow screening of his tweets, and had no right to revisit the matter "because he has now changed his mind."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

If only there were consequences.

Hey now there was a $20m fine

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

lmao

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cnn-loses-to-newsmax-in-primetime-ratings-two-days-after-trump-town-hall?ref=home

quote:

Two days after the network pulled in more than 3.3 million viewers for its widely criticized town hall with former President Donald Trump, CNN found itself in fourth place among cable news networks in primetime. Worse yet, it finished behind MAGA channel Newsmax, which until recently was barely nabbing a nightly audience of 100,000. According to Nielsen, CNN averaged just 335,000 total viewers and 87,000 in the key 25-54 advertising demographic during Friday night’s 8-11 p.m. time slot. (Fridays typically draw fewer cable news viewers than other weeknights.) By comparison, Newsmax drew 357,000 viewers and 45,000 in the demo in primetime on Friday. The right-wing network has experienced a ratings boost since Fox News fired Tucker Carlson last month, seizing on conservative anger over the shocking ouster. While Fox’s viewership has dropped precipitously since then, especially in primetime, it still easily led cable news ratings on Friday night. CNN is coming off of one of its worst-rated quarters in recent history, though it did see year-over-year gains last month. At the same time, though, viewers have expressed their anger over the town hall fiasco lately and even vowed to boycott the channel.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CSPAM going wild eh

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/TroopsinContact/status/1658997682990628864?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

I hardly think she's gonna have an illegitimate mixed race kid at this point

True but you could convince her that she did at this point.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Pictured. Feinstein voting down a federal minimum wage increase to $12.00 /hr. Circa 2027.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mustang posted:

How does the minority leader get to dictate who's on the committees?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

lol

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1659666653842403332?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LV getting ratio'd.

https://twitter.com/CityOfLasVegas/status/1659348980759769088?s=20

https://twitter.com/CityOfLasVegas/status/1659587891742363648?s=20

lmao https://twitter.com/CityOfLasVegas/status/1659585969245364227?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Madurai posted:

The most eye-opening thing I discovered in Vegas was how many people still smoke.

Eye watering

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

joat mon posted:

One of the best sad songs on one of the best albums of sad songs.
https://youtu.be/_vy8edcyvHU

Yes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Die Hard are kinda my 1A/1B for all time best action movies and on pretty high up the list of favorite movies in general.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

Robocop 2 is one I find to be bad in an awesome way. At the very least the montage of failed Robocops is pretty great.

This

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/ramble_rants/status/1661503439422062595?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cool Dad posted:

Trump also had a huge advantage since he had effectively been campaigning since the 80s, at least. He had his own show, he had guest appearances on sitcoms and movies, his name was plastered all over the place. Presidential elections are almost 100% popularity contests and I'm pretty convinced that any major celebrity could do what Trump did, which is terrifying if you think about it for a minute.

Oh gently caress Johnny Knoxville is gonna be president

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That’s pretty cool

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/occupydemocrats/status/1661816440197103621?s=46&t=SkW94bDM2QmmLP6FBxgJMw

Not any great sources on this yet but claims here should be easily verifiable eventually so would be a little surprised if its fabricated.

tl;dr

quote:

it's revealed that her son called 911 back in December to report his father for physically abusing him by "throwing" him around the house.

During the call, the boy was frantically sobbing, gasping to get air, and struggled to speak while explaining how his violent father was "throwing me around." He said "I don't think" that he'd "use" his weapons on him and added about the abuse: "He just does this to me so much."

Minutes after the emergency call ended, while police were en route to the house, the teenager called 911 again to retract his accusations. Lauren Boebert hopped on the call to insist that the boy "doesn't need help."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

My worry is that Tom Cotton steps up as the "sane, stable" R candidate and while he would normally get pantsed by anyone with an ounce of charisma he'd probably dominate Biden on the decaying economy if it continues to get worse by the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

Was just reading something about how Johnny Knoxville is apparently low key super smart. Knoxville as President, I mean, folks could do/have done worse.

Yeah I totally just threw the name out there on a lark, nice to know he seems to be a good dude.

Another random one like that, the lead singer for The Offspring, Dexter Holland, went back to finish his PhD years after getting derailed when the band became successful. He's spoken out a lot against covid disinfo etc and well, he gets to given his area of training (virology PhD) and a few other things I've heard about him here and there are that he's a good philanthropist and from what Ive read a decent guy.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/offsprings-dexter-holland-finishes-ph-d-thesis-on-hiv-research-193282/