Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nichael posted:

Capitalism... Capitalism never changes.

https://www.themarysue.com/as-actors-writers-strike-david-zaslav-and-other-ceos-attend-annual-summer-camp-for-billionaires/

Literally. People are now trolling David Zaslav because he has a public Venmo account so writers, producers, actors and journalists are flooding it with requests for him to pay them when he loving owes them after a year of screwing everyone he can to get dem sweet sweet tax write offs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Soonmot posted:

If nothing else, I hope this strike forces a release of viewership numbers. I hate how streaming and other online platforms obscure or straight up hide their actual user metrics.

Or just publish outright bullshit numbers and the press runs with them because :shrug:

Then again, all ratings going back to the actual Nielsen boxes were just bullshit extrapolation as well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

i refuse to believe they don't know what's popular. most of the viewers for those services use some kind of app — on a phone, tv, tablet, computer, it doesn't matter. they track the absolute gently caress out of you, collecting minutes used, what you tapped on, how long you looked at a certain page, how often you log in, your browsing history, search history, poo poo like that. they know who watches what and for how long. there is no way they're collecting that information and not doing anything with it

There's a Marketingspeak term they use, it's called Demand, and it's some insane algorithm-derived metric that a lot of television and streaming companies use judge how people "feel" about certain shows they are making and airing without being able to assign any real hard numbers or data to it and they use the excuse that it's a proprietary black box system to not bother to explain it to anyone outside of their boardrooms.

The term came up when Star Trek: Picard was on the air about how it "viewer Demand for the show was up by 200%" and people were saying "Yeah, that doesn't mean it's doubled its viewers, that just means that people are posting about it on Twitter and Facebook twice as much." So I watched a video by a company that specializes in tracking Demand and, well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4X-FHTGTiU

I nearly loving threw up watching it, it was that much of Inside Baseball Hollywood studiobrain bullshit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

OK, I think it's time to seriously consider the Perlman approach.

It wouldn't surprise me if this ends with a couple of mid-to-high level Hollywood executives visiting The Cool Zone after a while.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

In case anyone is wondering, no, pro wrestling has no unions.

Vince is a long and proud unionbuster, so it's not surprising.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

https://twitter.com/Massawyrm/status/1681823044061347840

feel like the execs aren’t going to give an inch. the business climate is in their favor

Then SAG-AFTRA and WGA need to hold their ground too. Just crater the loving joint at this point. gently caress Bob Iger and David Zaslav and their billionaire friends.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

All current A24 productions are strike complaint. Remember, Disney and MAX can't comply with Union demands because it's too expensive

A24, a studio that only produces niche indie films: :shrug:

https://www.polygon.com/23800547/sag-actors-strike-the-chosen-a24-approved-filming

Also Disney, Warner Bros. and Paramount are in the process of erasing whole sections from their streaming libraries because it's just "too expensive" for their media conglomerate operations to maintain such a vast library of shows on their precious server spaces.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

What's funny is of course Sarge didn't serve a single day of active duty so it's basically all, I believe the term is, stolen valor. He even gets twitchy if somebody uses his finishing move the Cobra Clutch and so does his daughter who isn't even a wrestler but is trying to be a Media Personality.

This is why the Iron Sheik is, was, and always will be superior.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dwayne-johnson-donation-sag-aftra-foundation-strike-relief-fund-1235678671/
The Rock has made the largest ever donation to the SAG-AFTRA relief fund. The exact amount is being kept confidential but according to the article it was seven figures.

Probably trying to get back in some of his peers' good graces after pissing off basically everyone in Hollywood over the last three years.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

koolkal posted:

I doubt most people in Hollywood are affected by the Rock, positively or negatively.

I've heard stories that few people want to work with him anymore because they all think he's a prima dona rear end in a top hat these days, but yeah the answer is probably "only Vin Diesel" :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

And in later episodes he actually softens on Eisner

What, because Iger and Chapek turned out to be somehow even bigger shitheads?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

If anyone wants to know about how Eisner just gradually became more and more unhinged, mercurial, sexist and insane as his Disney tenure went (he really ripped the mask off after Disney president Frank Wells died in 1994), then the book DisneyWar, by James B. Stewart, is essential reading.

People have openly said they wished Eisner was on the helicopter instead of Wells.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm a big Amell fan (Heels is great, for the record) but yeah, not the best choice of words here.

His pissy attitude reminds me a lot of film directors during the pandemic. Multiple big names went on the record that watching a movie at home would taint or somehow ruin their art. There was a loving pandemic that forced cities to create makeshift morgues. Sorry that seeing Wonder Woman 1984 at a "proper" venue wasn't high on my list.

Veering back on topic, this definitely isn't the last time we'll see this. I'm sure we'll see more actors express frustration, say something lovely, then hurriedly fall back in line.

I'm surprised there haven't been more Amells so far. There's a lot of lovely people with big egos in Hollywood who are addicted to attention. You'd think a SAG-AFTRA strike would be rife with folks looking to scab out because they just can't loving help it, but the solidarity so far has been extremely impressive.

gently caress Stephen Amell though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ricardo Diaz continues to own the poo poo out of Oliver Queen. You love to see it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't it kind of up in the air if Fran Drescher herself would go for the strike at first?

Yeah Fran went from "Eh, I don't think we need to strike, the WGA's got this covered" to "gently caress THE CORPORATE OVERLORDS, BILLIONAIRE BLOOD! :byodame:" in the span of like a month.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

Tom Cruise had a fun "thank you" video that played with Top Gun Maverick that did a similar thing, except infinitely better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHOQS3BSYho

I said "gently caress you, Tom" out loud in a relatively crowded theater immediately after that clip ended before TGM stated.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Wow, who would have thought that the girl just described, was just exactly what the doctor prescribed? :aaa:

In this version, Fran drags Maxwell out of his house and into the street where an angry mob beats him to death for being a rich rear end AMPTP member.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

teen witch posted:

Honestly with the way he’s acting he’s heading for a Sorbonian career

I can easily see Amell either turning chud or revealing himself to be a chud politically as a part of this whole process, yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Darth Brooks posted:

Sure they didn't pay out 100 million in salary but it cost them a few billion in lost product.

David Zaslav has had an erection for weeks now thinking of all the "tax write offs" the strike is producing for him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

According to Beast comma Mister, this was something he got that contract for being an influencer and thus has an exception or somesuch. I'm not even saying he's lying or anything, it's just out of my wheelhouse to explain.

I mean a young, suddenly-rich e-famous douchebazooka not understanding what rules or consequences are is hardly an original story these days.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

The fans of that show, Shadow and Bone are so desperate for this show not to get cancelled that fans will just play the show continuously in the background during the day so that the metrics don't drop. It's insane but what else are people supposed to do? It's not like Netflix has ever made it clear what it is that makes show successful and certainly aren't willing to let shows find their footing before shitcanning it. How do you invest money in to a product and not even give people the chance to find it?

It's still kind of wild that the live action Cowboy Bebop went form apparently breaking all sorts of viewership records for Netflix and debuting in their #1 slot to "Yeah, we just cancelled it. Goodbye." in practically a single week. And that was irrespective of whatever terrible quality it might have had or the shitstorm around it during its debut from anime fans and chuds alike (though I repeat myself).

Netflix is just bonkers, top to bottom.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I'm really curious how they're going to deal with their One Piece adaptation, which seems doomed just from how difficult it is going to be to adapt the source material, the stink of Bebop as the previous big adaptation still being about, the gigantic budget etc. The latest trailer made it look like it might be okay as opposed to a complete disaster, but as the Cowboy Bebop example shows, it doesn't matter if it is the top ranked show with the highest viewership on Netflix, that's no guarantee it won't be unceremoniously canceled and how the gently caress does anybody exist in that kind of uncertainty?

Barry's episode with Sally's show getting canceled by the algorithm looks more and more realistic every day.

I would not be surprised if Netflix is letting some algorithm decide which shows it axes and which ones it lets run forever with near zero human oversight. But yeah the One Piece show looks dead on arrival too. Probably same thing for the Avatar: The Last Airbender adaption.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Confusedslight posted:

How does a star trek convention even work if you can't talk about all the shows at all?

Same way Comic Con worked this year I guess. Basically everyone who was WGA or SAG-AFTRA pulled out of their scheduled appearances in compliance with the strike order... Except for Robert Beltran, I guess?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I guess one weird knock on benefit to the strike so far has been all the shittiest people you know on both sides of the table publicly reaffirming just how awful they all are with basically no prompting.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

Ideally, it doesn't. That's the point.

Union rules should probably just be changed to ban members from cons during strikes entirely.

You say that like it would stop someone like Beltran from just doing whatever the gently caress he wants :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Like, what would they even be doing? Shooting plates?

Yeah, probably anything that involves just the life sized Sonic, Tails and Knuckles dolls they use as stand ins for the CG shots. Sonic 2 had a lot of shots to it that had functionally no human actors on set, so I imagine they can get away with the same stuff for Sonic 3 until the strike is over.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, the Sonic films would be better with no humans anyway. So not a big loss.

Wow, major Jim Carrey erasure here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

As the WGA and SAG continue stand in solidarity, it seems like the execs are starting to go feral. https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1697033082757419053

This just confirms that Bob Iger and David Zaslav are two of the stupidest people on the planet if they're stunned by the realization that people see them as hideous ogres.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Pretty much. All the networks' fall seasons were supposed to start in the next few weeks. NBC has a few shows already in the can (Quantum Leap, The Irrational, Magnum PI), but it's going to be an autumn of reruns and reality TV.

TV IV - Television Stops

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Now the rest of the world gets to learn what loving monsters Bobbie Kotic, Yves Guillemot, and Andrew Wilson are, and how they're the David Zaslav, Bob Iger, and Ted Sarandos of video games :haw:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
“Great writers, directors, actors, they want their content to be seen,” says man single handedly responsible for kicking off the age of media erasure and scarcity.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Jesus Christ, it's gonna' be Sinclair who buys it and we'll basically have Fox News on broadcast TV.

Sinclair already owns a fuckton of local ABC affiliates though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

He's already on record as thinking writers aren't entitled to a living wage so Maher can be safely written off.

Yeah, Maher's said and done all sorts of career-ending poo poo and suffered no consequences for any of it. And every attempt to call him out on that just makes him all that more recalcitrant.

Also Maher's always been a ladder-sawing ratfuck. He's an English major who managed to make money with an English degree by being a writer, and instead of helping other aspiring artists find success, he went "got mine, gently caress you" instead.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 17, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stumblebum posted:

as a general guess? probably because society has become more and more blatant in its bloody-minded desire to enslave and exterminate larger and larger swathes of the populace on behalf of the capitalists, and so more and more people are projecting their own mounting desperation onto labor struggles (among other, much worse movements) as a ticket to saving themselves and their loved one from being ground into paste

Yeah, COVID and the whole "you will all die for our bottom lines and like it, back to work slaves" thing that came about when corporations tried to mandate their workers to keep showing up to offices in person while a lethal pandemic was raging kind of woke the general public up to how lovely capitalism really is and there's no going back across that threshold now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.thewrap.com/bill-maher-real-time-hbo-restart-delay-wga-strike/

So Billo thought about it over the weekend and decided it probably actually wasn't a good idea to cross the union and start scabbing after seeing what happened to Drew Barrymore and Jennifer Hudson.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

lol he is such a pussy

I'm actually a little shocked he backed down. Usually he's such a contrarian twat who's insulated from consequence, I legit thought he'd go back on the air with both middle fingers up to the unions and just scab out an entire season or more while the strikes continued because he didn't give a gently caress.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Some dark lols on Stephen Amell's part as (one of) the strikes (possibly) comes to an end: Starz just cancelled Heels today so fukkin :rip: to Amell's whole post-strike career.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mappo posted:

Here is a summary of the WGA MBA Contract.

I skimmed it over but it looks like the writers got almost everything they wanted.

Here is the part about AI.

That seems reasonable. Of course until studios start using loopholes to "hire" writers who only write with AI and then quietly phase out anyone who doesn't, but that's an exploitive creeping bridge to cross in the future, I guess.

For now, well done WGA. Hope SAG-AFTRA gets as many of their demands met as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

You can teach AI to write. You even can teach AI to act! What you can't do is teach AI to direct, and that's why their guild didn't strike.

This seems... either wrong or will be proven wrong before the end of the decade maybe.