Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Are 40 times/RAS even that meaningful at the WR position? The three best WR1 seasons we've seen were from Cooper Kupp and Antonio Brown who's RAS scores are 5 and 3.85 respectively. Even Jerry Rice supposedly ran a 4.6 40.

Sure you have guys like Justin Jefferson, Julio Jones, and Calvin Johnson who measure off the charts, but there are a ton of top WR finishes from guys that did not measure well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Tee Higgins contract is up after 2023 without an extension, so he's no lock to stay on a team with a good QB. At least with Lamar you know he's the guy for five more years.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Hi fantasy football thread, I do not follow the NFL at all (college guy) but I’m tired of being the only person in my social circle who doesn’t play fantasy football so I’m diving in this year. I see a bunch of resources in the OP, I will take a look at those but wanted to ask:

What is one (or two, or whatever) piece of advice you’d give a total neophyte for their first draft? Thanks in advance.

1. Draft for upside and ignore downside.

2. Drafting small wins doesn't matter.

There are never more then 5-10 true difference making players in a given season, so finding guys with that kind of upside is all that counts. Building a mediocre team out of ADP beating values probably won't elevate you to a championship.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Poque posted:

are there even five TEs worth rostering this year?

1. Kelce,
2. Andrews,

a big gap

3. Hockenson,
4. Pitts,
5. Freiermuth.

That's the whole list.

Edit: Shultz is your $1 punt the position guy.

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 21, 2023

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Calvin Ridley will take some looks away from Evan Engram (I think Ridley will take more looks from Zay Jones, personally) but I still think he'll be a solid TE this year. Dougie P loves his TEs.

edit: Engram was TEP TE5 last year even though the Jags needed half the season to get the worst layers of the Urban Meyer stink off.

I'm sure Engram is good for like 130 - 150 FPTs (in .5PPR), but he definitely has more target competition this year than last. I just think those five guys are the most likely to finish top 3 at the position in about that order of probability.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

I dont know what he would look like in Half PPR so it sounds like we're comparing apples to oranges. I think Engram will be a top five TEP TE, definitely ahead of Freiermuth (because its a Matt Canada offense) and probably ahead of Pitts because of the passing volume the Jags will have compared to the Falcons. Engram had 213 TEP points last year when the whole team was recovering from the Urban Meyer experience and learning the new offense. Year 2 will be noticeably better so I think at worst Engram will be around 200 TEP points this year if Ridley vultures targets. Engram was 4th in receiving yards for a TE last year (1 yard ahead of Kittle lol) so I think he'll still produce in 0PPR or HPPR formats.

Oh yeah, TE premium the numbers are a bit better. If it's like +1 pt per reception vs everyone else then at least the top 5 or 6 TEs will score like a top 12 WR (and Kelce projects like a god in that format).

In any other format though only the top 2 or 3 TEs matter at all.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Kittle's biggest issue for production this season is target competition. I think ESPN's 80 target projection is fairly reasonable if we start the season with all of McCaffery, Deebo, and Aiyuk healthy.

Going back to 2012, every top 3 TE has at least 100 targets or 11+ TDs. So, betting on Kittle to finish top 3 is betting on an 11 TD repeat season.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

quick question:

the setup: keeper league w/ an auction draft. i'm likely keeping tyreek at $28 and christian watson at $15 already.

was offered $19 metcalf for my $29 etienne.

based on everything i know, and all the rankings i can find, and all the nffc results, this appears to be a no-brainer accept for me. like, metcalf goes a round or three earlier than etienne in almost every league from what i can tell, so even if they were priced the same, i should do this. then you throw in that metcalf's cheaper...and it seems like a massive must accept.

what am i missing?

4for4's ADP tool https://www.4for4.com/adp has these guys going more or less back to back at 31 and 33 for ETN and DK respectively.

That said, I'd do this trade provided the ~$10 savings can be put toward a top end player and they aren't just all being kept. Auction prices at the top end can be driven really really high when you factor in added scarcity/savings from keepers.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

oh yea, now that i think about it, any preference on keeping $15 london or $15 christian watson? watson seems like the better play to me, but throwing this out there for dissents.

I lean Watson with the caveat that both of these guys are at the mercy of some possibly very brutal QB situations.

Although I'd guess Ridder/Heinicke is probably a better QB room then whatever the packers might have to roll out behind Love.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Hey it's me, the fantasy football noob again. Apparently our draft is an auction draft, where everyone has $200, and in a randomized order we each in turn nominate a player to be auctioned. The league commish says it's typical for 1st picks to go for roughly $60, then a drop off from there.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any tips, particularly related to who to nominate and when? I've been trying to reason it out in my head but I keep going in circles and second-guessing myself.

Like, if there's a player I really want, is it wise for me to nominate, wait for someone else? Neither? Does it even matter?

Auction is the best way to play fantasy, but also the toughest way to draft. Mine are usually in excess of two hours, and you need to be pretty switched on for the whole thing.

Since you're completely new to fantasy football, my recommendation is to look into the replacement for beer sheets whenever it gets released on https://footballabsurdity.com/.

You just input your league setting and it spits out recommended auction values for the top 200+ players. My experience is that my home league hews pretty close to the listed values.

E: Oh yeah, and don't be afraid to spend your auction money. The best players cost a premium for a reason, and there's usually no benefit to having anything left over.

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 7, 2023

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Whoreson Welles posted:

I hate 3-for-1 trades but in my 0.5ppr keeper league I’m being offered Tyreek and my 2nd round pick back in exchange for Deebo, Devonta Smith, and ETN (who I gave up the 2nd for last year) plus my 4th.

That would leave me keeping Pollard, Tyreek and probably Hockenson and Rachaad White instead of Pollard, Devonta, ETN, and Deebo or Pacheco.

I just get wary in trades where it’s throwing a lot of decent keeper talent at one guy, feels like I’m running a bigger risk but wanted to get some input if anyone has ever done a 3-for-1.

Edit: I can't read and thought you were getting the worse players in the exchange.

I would consider the trade for Tyreek, but you are admittedly giving up a ton of added keeper value to load the top of your roster.

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 14, 2023

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Pitts most likely outcome is just being TE5 on a team that doesn't pass a ton with a QB that scores sub 20 TDs.

It's painful to admit this, but he's Evan Engram 2.0. Wait until Pederson trades for him.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

We streamed an auction last night and found out they don't even give a grade anymore!

One year I kicked off my mock season by getting three straight 100/100 grades just to test if their algorithm changed. They looooove backup QBs so good riddance, I guess.

It was probably just a system where they awarded full credit for projected points for every player drafted, or at least significant credit. So under a system like that drafting lots of QBs would look really good.

Obviously that going to skew results to guys using suboptimal strategies.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What are good resources to review things like target share, carries share, team pass/throw ratios, etc?

https://www.4for4.com/nfl-player-stat-explorer and https://www.the33rdteam.com/the-edge/ Probably has basically every advanced fantasy metric you'd care to look at. Both support export to CSV too.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Not only is he staying on the Colts he can't even play til week 5 at the earliest

F for all of our dead fantasy rosters. It was worth a shot!

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

RCarr posted:

Where should Jonathan Taylor be ranked now with him missing the first 4 weeks of the season?

I've got him around RB18, and at the top of a large tier of high uncertainty deadzone backs. So like the same general tier as Kamara, James Conner, Dalvin Cook, and Miles Sanders.

I'd say the uncertainty around his return to play should really have him below those guys though.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Was just considering kicking Mostert back to the wire. Dolphins have to add somebody or bring Gaskin back right?

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1697256885454528642?s=20

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
So it's Fournette, Hunt, or bust for Miami. Seems not ideal, but maybe old man Mostert can put together a season this year.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

A Concrete Divider posted:

Ok I hadn’t heard much after him being out of practice Friday due to an illness.

Players almost never miss time for illness. He'll be plugged up with pepto and tamiflu and whatever else he needs to play.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Get in here Swifties! :boom:

https://twitter.com/Underdog__NFL/status/1700903738733465950?t=hM34dYaWmCzEjeiWI0KK5A&s=19

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
I could not imagine ruining my Sunday twice by doubling up on my rooting interests like that. I'm sure he'll eventually enjoy all that free time on Sunday.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Yeah, a lot of teams will spend September figuring out how to compete with the players they have. Don't panic, but keep your eyes open for alternatives.

You don't want to miss out on a Fields type player because you stick to your guns on Jones.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

dxt posted:

Losing as the 2nd highest scoring team of the week (and the other team only put up so many points because he had Dallas D). Fantasy football is back!

Same here, but we instituted bonus wins this year so at least i get a consolation prize for the score.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I mean he's in the concussion protocol so probably

Also WTF Adams missed practice too? How are all of my loving teams injured it is week 2!!!

Looks like we can relax on Adams availability.

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/1702357243511869849?s=20

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Penny was running through mud all preseason. I'm not sure what all his supporters were on about, but all those lower leg injuries had obviously impacted his play.

He was absolutely electric those first couple of years in Seattle, however little there was to see.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

VietCampo posted:

Someone dropped Diontae in my league too, i'm hoping no one else notices or cares and i can get him tomorrow.

Who would you drop for him out of these 3? Skyy Moore, Juju, Rashod Bateman. .5 PPR

Any of those three is probably worth a drop, but Juju has the bleakest prospects by far.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

T-Square posted:

Speaking of Spears, I have Khalil Herbert sitting on my bench next to Gainwell and Javonte Williams and I can’t realistically see myself ever utilizing him. Worth it to dump him for Spears as a solid handcuff or more time later in the season?

I'm in the same spot with Dalvin Cook. I don't see him ever getting into my lineup, so he's on my roster bubble if I ever need to take advantage of breaking news or something like that.

If Tyjae Spears is out there and Herbert isn't ever making your flex, I don't see a problem in dumping him. The Bears won't make you regret it.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I was reading this as one leg was longer than the other and what would you possibly do about that. This makes much more sense!

In most leagues I've been in everyone's cool with asking the commish to rush trades through, cause waiting periods are dumb and bad. But up to your own league rules and norms obviously

Muscle asymmetry is actually very common among athletes and isn't well correlated to performance issues or injury risk.

https://www.mdpi.com/2073-8994/14/10/1993

Symmetry and Asymmetry in Sport Sciences posted:

Asymmetry is ubiquitous in nature and humans have well-established bilateral asymmetries in their structures and functions. However, there are (mostly unsubstantiated) claims that bilateral asymmetries may impair sports performance or increase injury risk. [...]
Bilateral asymmetries are prevalent in sports, do not seem to impair performance, and there is no evidence that suggests that they increase injury risk.

I would take any reporting on Kamara's off season training regime with a grain of salt.

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 27, 2023

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

This aged poorly.

I need to drop one of Hunter Henry, Spears, QJ, Jameson Williams, Charb to pick up a kicker for tomorrow :(

None of these are good options.

Jameson has like 1 catch on 9 targets in six games played.

He's very very far from even being relevant on his own team, let alone yours.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

He was a last minute grab based on reddit news so sounds like he's the target. My WRs are pretty dire so I've been trying to get as many upside stashes as possible.

I assume this is a league where you can drop guys from your bench at any time (since the Lions have played), but you can always hold off on rostering a kicker until the early games are over.

If you have a safe lead by then, you don't necessarily need to add a kicker.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Doppelganger posted:

I’m playing fantasy and paying attention to football again for the first time in like 3 years, so please don’t gimme a hard time.

If I have Herbert and Richardson and I could get Kelce for Richardson, it’s a mash accept, right?

Yes. Mash accept.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
I'm holding Mims on my bench and JSN and Quinten Johnston have both been dropped for bye week fill-ins.

If you could only fit one on your bench as a late season stash which would it be?

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Waddle gonna be on a bus to Carolina by Monday isnt he?

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Return of the king.

https://twitter.com/VicTafur/status/1710705631899042296?t=zuFAd744ZUDvrYFLJDw6Eg&s=19

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm hoping Carolina can figure their poo poo out and bounce back. The volume is absolutely there. He's the #2 RB in the league in targets.

Sanders has had an elite role up to now, so all you can do is hold and pray the Panthers can unfuck their offense.

Honestly wouldn't shock me if its Chuba Hubbard that was the back we needed for our playoff runs, but the process etc.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I was offered Nacua and Zay Flowers for AJ Brown. Thoughts?

Does starting both of those guys make your team better?

I'd always lean towards getting the better player even still.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
For those with Raheem Mostert money bags, what are you planning long term with him?

He's basically a one man league winner and a major piece of an historic running game.

So, this is all obviously unsustainable. Are we trading him now while his value is at an apex for a Jonathan Taylor type, or do we just let it ride?

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Why would you trade a league winner?

Because his success is predicated on an unbelievable run of injury luck. When Jeff Wilson and Achane are back in the lineup is he still a difference maker?

I don't think he finishes the year with 30 TDs.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

If I was competing I would never trade a first (or equivalent) for a 31 year old, injury prone, RB performing at an unsustainable rate.

This is for redraft not dynasty, but I think I'm just going to ride or die until the wheels fall off. Mostert's season is so obviously unsustainable that I doubt I get a return that could help my team.

Dude wears a number that matches his age and he's made it on a list with Priest Holmes and LaDainian Tomlinson!

https://twitter.com/kyle_borg/status/1713926789632795039?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

As a former Pitts haver, one of the most frustrating aspects of Falcons players is that theres basically no beat reporting.

You just never get any insight into weird poo poo like this because no one cares.