Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

zoux posted:

I didn't get the sense it was spiritual, Calvin was the voice of the Maquis in their first major appearance and he appeared to be doing it out of sheer cussedness and gently caress the Cardassians

It’s the TNG episode with the Indians. Idk if I’d call it the first Maquis episode since the name is never used and the organization probably hasn’t yet arisen, but it’s definitely intended to lay the groundwork for DS9’s “The Maquis” (which aired like a month later). One of Calvin’s henchmen is an Indian dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mike the TV posted:

Wait, you were all getting paid?

The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our posting

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

As you watch through DS9 for the first time, remember: Odo is always naked

Be especially sure to think of this when he does his coffee cup trick 🤢

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

My favorite Siddig role is in Doomsday, where he plays a scenery-chewing crypto-fascist prime minister of the UK who comes up with the brilliant idea of allowing everyone in London to get zombie ebola in order to boost his numbers when he magically produces the cure

he does not magically produce the cure

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I like the idea of the Bajor-DS9 setting and I wish they had developed it into something good instead of changing over to zoom zapping and hard war men

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

V-Men posted:

Now I'm wondering what Earth's government is called. I mean, each Federation member world has its own government, they're also just members of the Federation. But I don't think it's ever explicitly mentioned that Earth and the human polity has an actual government.

It’s just called United Earth. Has a notable space probe agency

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

The timeclone will have gotten him first if he has the chance

This. If you’d do it, surely he would too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kirk getting really into Spock giving him a back massage and then realizing it’s his yeoman and getting embarrassed

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

Bashir handing Dax a PADD that says "Go Away"

This whole scene is great, maybe one of my favorite Dax moments. she’s so obviously trying to cockblock him and you think he has successfully fended her off, but then she delivers a fatal parting shot.

Man “Explorers” is good. Sisko trolling Dukat. O’Brien telling Kira she sounds like a Romulan. O’Brien and Bashir bawling Jerusalem and discussing their love. Hammock time (yo!). Dukat fuming as he congratulates Sisko. Classic of DS9 for me

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Alternative Factor is a total mess, maybe the worst episode in the entirety of Star Trek. There’s a lot of other bad episodes but very few that are so flimsy. The guest star was having a breakdown/bender and didn’t show up so they wasted a bunch of time waiting for him, then replaced him and rushed through filming what they could in the time they had left. It’s a poo poo show and the only good thing about it is the ending where Shatner stands up and basically goes (in a very intense voice), “well, how about that”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

TOS aired what they had. “Charlie X” aired second because it was quicker to finish production, as a bottle episode (the ship exterior shots are reused—notice how you never see the ship Charlie came from). “Where No Man…” aired third because it was the second pilot episode shown to the network, and therefore already finished.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Naked Time isn’t about being out of character, they’re not just being different people like in “Return to Tomorrow” or becoming lotus eaters like in “This Side of Paradise” or whatever. it’s a look beneath the facade. It’s about exploring the sides of the characters that are always present, but that they never want to show others. Naked Time is the first “Spock loses his cool” episode and as a result gave us the Spock character as we know him. (The character wasn’t originally intended to be the hyper-repressed emotionless one, that was Majel). The character dynamic established between Kirk and Spock in that ep lasts through like, everything else that ever had the characters in it. Essentially men who relate deeply to one another because they have both cut themselves off from intimacy and normal human feeling, to try and live life in the service of an ideal. I think it was far from a mistake to run Naked Time early, and I can see why they wanted to repeat the trick with TNG. They just hosed it up.

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 20, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I think they wanted to make Wesley annoying in S1 and you’re supposed to relate to Picard being sick of his poo poo, but they just way overdid it. He’s always right and in fact, a super genius who’s practically ready to embark on a Starfleet career, but they treat him (and dress him) like a fourth grader. Then they let him drive the boat.

Idk it’s all over the place. Later Wesley appearances are much better imo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

If they wanted to do the midshipman thing where there’s a kid on the bridge learning the work, they should have just…had it be a thing, instead of making Wesley the only kid who gets to play with the big boy toys. Real, historical fighting navies have done it—you can argue that that was an insane thing for them to have done, but the Ent-D already has a bunch of civilians and literal children on board anyway! You could still spin plenty of drama out of him being the son of the doctor and the captain’s old friend. The focus on the uniqueness and genius of Wesley hurts more than it helps imo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Would have been better if it had ended with Data reminding them he uses contractions all the time. Like that one DS9 ep with O’Brien’s coffee

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Zaroff posted:

I never got why they didn’t open with Where No Man…, since it was already completed.

Did they think The Man Trap was a better episode? Or was it more cynical in that The Man Trap was ready and had the more colourful uniforms, which, given TOS was used to promote colour TVs, was a better promotional opportunity than the muted colours of Where No Man…

IIRC Justman talks about this in “Inside Star Trek”, they had a slate of early episodes they could run and it came down to “Man Trap” being a straightforward, strange-new-world story complete with alien monster. One of the other options was “Mudd’s Women”, so they dodged a bullet there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

"Where Silence Has Lease" comes off as TNG's answer to "Corbomite Maneuver" without just being a simple redo of it. The confrontation with an unknown new thing with undefined vast powers, the suicide bluff against what might as well be god. Extended tension and dread, in this case mixed with cosmic horror themes. One of the realest moments of Picard being a hardass here too. I bet they don't teach the kids about that on Captain Picard Day!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The DS9 theme song is good until they change it. Melancholy but dignified. It suits the show. That added beat, though…

I like the video concept as well but it’s just a bit boring. It seems like they were aiming for awe, but they didn’t hit it. I guess I would contrast it to the famous opening shot of Alien: the Nostromo is essentially the same kind of concept as DS9, an immense space refinery with a few people living somewhere inside it. And boy, do you feel that after that long-rear end shot. DS9 like all of 90s Trek has practical problems with representing scale. the Ent-D only rarely feels like the city-sized behemoth it’s supposed to be in the fluff. DS9 is supposedly even bigger but feels like a one-stoplight town with a nice main street. You rarely get a sense of its scope—part of what I like about “Civil Defense” is that for once the station really does feel like an enormous piece of repurposed industrial equipment. The exterior model though…I’m sure they did their best and were primarily just trying to get a bunch of footage they could repeatedly use for establishing shots, but they don’t succeed in making it look big or impressive in the way the Nostromo is, or even the deuterium refinery from last week’s SNW.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh hey, does the viewing order of TOS matter all that much? I'm realizing that Paramount+ is showing them in remastered order which is different from original broadcast order, though I'm guessing in general everything is standalone enough that I'm not gonna miss much just watching in the default remastered order.

There’s no significant plot arcs and only vague continuity. “Where No Man Has Gone Before”and “Corbomite Maneuver” were produced first but aired later, so some stuff in those might look a bit off relative to all the other episodes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arivia posted:

honestly the canon issue here is like i can't even imagine cromwell's cochrane going and living somewhere else. taking his ship there? absolutely. but that guy is ride or die for his lovely post-apocalyptic bar.

Only because he couldn’t leave. he says himself he was outta there the moment he could find a tropical paradise to retire to. Idk if we’ve ever seen Alpha Centauri up close in Trek, maybe it’s really nice!

Besides, you gotta figure the moment everyone heard Zefram Cochrane built FTL ship and met aliens, everyone he owed money came looking for him.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Wasn't that a union dispute, like Chang ran a non-union shop or something?

The prop maker’s union wouldn’t let him in for Reasons. (probably racism reasons)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

:owned: :owned: THANK YOU MR DATA

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

TOS didn't have an abuse target like that because it didn't really take the time to dive into emotional suffering character pieces the way the later 7-season shows did, and it was a different era of television where that wasn't as common anyway.

The ablative redshirt phenomenon was just to emphasize the danger of whatever situation they were in at the time. TNG would also sacrifice random crew (like that guy who got mind-tortured to death in "Where Silence Has Lease" or the woman who phased through the floor in that one episode) or have Worf get his rear end kicked if the dangerous thing was a person.

Honestly all the main three go through some pretty miserable situations in TOS. Kirk has been through multiple bloodbaths before the series even starts, Spock is Spock. Even McCoy who has the least focus episodes starts the show with a plot where he slowly realizes his old flame is being worn as a skinsuit by a man-eating alien, which he then guns down. In season 3 he’s got a fatal disease and a doomed marriage in the same episode! Obviously they always get their poo poo back together by next week.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Speaking of resetting each week, I’ve always wanted there to be an instance of a random redshirt dying in one episode and then appearing alive and well the next episode lol

TOS did it. Leslie, the ultimate crewman! Went through at least three departments, got gassed as a redshirt in “Obsession”, came back like it wasn’t nothing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Penitent posted:

It's really interesting how unprepared they appear to have been to write a show about a space station in fixed space given the number of "aliens of the week" that randomly came through the wormhole in the beginning of the show's run. You can see some ideas beginning to form though, the Hunters from Dramatis Personae were like some sort of proto Jem'Hadar.

Tosk also seems like a proto Jem’Hadar. Similar boxy/scaly design, similar invisibility powers, and even the same kind of character motives we see in a lot of JH—complete, unshakable determination to live out their objectively awful fate.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It would suck to have to change the name you were born with, through no fault of your own, just because a few people don’t like it. And I think it’s fair to say that one could be particularly attached to one’s family name, even if it were “Hitler” or “Buonaparte” or “Qualox of Deneb VI” or whatever, if one were the last survivor of one’s family while the rest of them got eaten from the inside out by a swarm of ravenous zerg larvae when one was a six year old.

Laan’s backstory is kind of over the top (though not unprecedentedly so—look at poor Kirk), but she’s probably my favorite character on this show. I think her seriousness is an important trait to balance the rest of the ensemble, and it helps with verisimilitude too. Some of these guys seem like they’re just out in space to have fun. Laan isn’t like that. She’s a character who wants things to work the right way because if they don’t, they can get very bad indeed. She strikes me as a much more believable spacewoman than some of her crewmates.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That episode is a mess lol. Probably one of the most nonsensical Trek murder mysteries which is saying something.

Also lol that it attempts to make us skeptical of those who mistrust and fear Odo for his weirdness, while later seasons go on to show that not only is Odo a collaborator and self-appointed cop who anyone sane should mistrust and fear, but also that he’s an ambassador from an entire culture of psychotic self-appointed cops.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

“The Empath” is… not terrible. But it’s a pretty sluggish script and that’s an issue when you have so little else to punch it up with. Let’s just say that if you only watch one “gently caress it, let’s just do it on a blank stage” episode of a 60s genre show, it should be “Once Upon A Time” from The Prisoner instead

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I think the Cardassians are gonna have a hard time building a society that isn’t hosed up because 1) it’s the exact same people that were just previously part of a hosed up society, except for 2) all the people who ended up getting slaughtered either by their own hosed up government or in the gigantic war they just lost which devastated their planet on top of an honest to god genocide that killed hundreds of millions. Garak loves Cardassia but he wasn’t happy with the way things were, he can’t live with himself either as Cardassia’s servant or a traitor to it, and he has no faith his own return home (over the dead bodies of millions) is the beginning of a change for the better.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

I got really high and started binging TOS last night:

The Man Trap - a psychic salt vampire stalks the crew of the USS Enterprise. In the end, they decide to kill it rather than attempt to coexist with it.

Charlie X - a psychic boy stalks the crew of the USS Enterprise. In the end, they decide to send the boy to live with god-like caretakers rather than attempt to coexist with him.

Where No Man Has Gone Before - a psychic crew stalks the crew of the USS Enterprise. In the end, they decide to kill the crew rather than attempt to coexist with them.

(I skipped The Naked Time as I watched it last week)

The Enemy Within - an evil transporter clone of Captain Kirk stalks the crew of the USS Enterprise. In the end, they decide to coexist as a single entity rather than attempt to kill each other.

I think the charm here is that the show is just a framing device for telling pulp science fiction stories and there's really no thought to internal consistency or canon. Technology and biology work the way they do from episode to episode simply because that's how they need to work. It probably has more in common with anthology shows like Love, Death and Robots at first than it does to modern Trek, and that's fine! I'm guessing at some point they start building up the world of Starfleet and the Federation and at that point there's really no going back to what the show started as.

Anyway, it's a great show despite it being very dated. Yeomen Rand takes a lot of abuse in the first few episodes, both as a would-be damsel in distress, though she asserts herself quite well, and also as a target of casual workplace sexual harassment (how'd you like to have her as your own private yeoman!). But there are also other comments about men, women, and The Nature of Man in those first few episodes that give away the intrinsic values of the writers and creators. The show is obviously trying hard to be progressive, but it is still ultimately a product of its time and there really is no way around that.

Yeah, the “canon” and essentially all the background of the setting with its history and tech and politics is very much assembled on the fly. If you’re up on the 90s era shows you’ll recognize flashes of its inspirations here and there, along with odd little “road not taken” moments, where TOS writers introduced notions that were just never taken up elsewhere. You can kind of see the universe come into being as they explore it, which is an attribute none of the other shows share. At the stage you’ve reached, you notice they don’t have the idea of the Federation or even Starfleet yet: Kirk thinks of himself as representing Earth and humanity before any galactic commonwealth.

Probably the most important single episode for the future of the Trek setting is “Journey to Babel” which attempts to give a serious(ish. It’s still TOS) look at what the diplomacy between polite space nations of the day is like. But loads of episodes introduce interesting new elements to the world, even if they are otherwise bad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

“What Are Little Girls Made Of” is so bad its good

The other two are just bad

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Little Girls I actually kind of like. It's very Forbidden Planet.

Yeah, both in tone and in the central concept of the mad scientist squatting in the alien ruins with their weird machines.

Also just a fun looking production, full of character overall. The ridiculous outfit on Andrea. Ruk. The dick stalactite. the unforgettable racist Kirk robot

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Galileo Seven was fine if now highly anachronistic given we've seen Spock get a lot more character development in SNW so I don't think he'd make those mistakes.

I just started The Squire of Gothos. What the gently caress. Well, it can't be worse than Shore Leave.

Tally Ho!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Admiralty Flag posted:

All y’all tripping. Squire of Gothos rocked. Just probably 10 minutes too long. To compare it to Charlie X is a crime.

It does have kind of the same concept as “Charlie X” but I love “Squire”. “Charlie X” finds the horror in the idea of a child made god: “Squire” balances that out with comedy, in service of the message that not just awkward horny virgins but gods, nobles, officers, judges, etc., and whoever else lords it over humanity, are just dumb kids dressing up. It’s borne out by William Campbell, one of the all-time guest stars of Trek for me. Trelane is such a cheery piece of poo poo it’s weirdly chilling when he starts to get nasty, and his anger manages to seem both scary (“until you are dead—dead—dead!”) and ridiculous (“you broke my sword!”) by turns. And in the end it kind of loops back around to (semi-intentional) horror again, with his obvious fear and confusion in the face of his polite, omniscient, omnipotent parents descending to humiliate him, set his “pets” loose, and presumably give him an n-dimensional rear end whooping.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Fantastic as Trelane, memorable as Koloth, but I thought of the three they brought back for Blood Oath he was the weakest, with Colicos being revelatory and Ansara being exactly the same as every role, but it's a good un.

It’s a bit awkward to see him in DS9. In TOS you could just about buy a sinister yet foppish Klingon gentleman-captain, but as a 90s Klingon, I’m not sure the writers quite knew how to pull it off. He still plays it well imo, but I have a hard time believing the guy from “Trouble with Tribbles” would think the best solution to his problem with the Albino is a commando raid with swords.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Disco missed an amazing chance for a sight gag by not redesigning the Klingon ships to have two necks

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

This show is fixated on characters in positions of authority reprimanding what they consider to be inferior or underdeveloped beings or individuals.

I mean if you think about it, this is all Trek is. It’s a tv show about people with so great a technological and ethical advantage over the viewer that they might as well be gods, preaching good morals to us moderns from their ivory starship.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cogley is the guy I imagine whenever I read that tumblr post about going to Coachella in a white suit and going “now I’m no big city lawyer, but can any of you fellas tell me where I can get some fuckin’ acid?” I would not want him to defend me in court

Also, where does he go? This always bothered me. After they move the court to the bridge and start investigating his suggestion that dead guy isn’t dead, he just leaves and never comes back! Kirk VOs that he was going to get the dead guy’s kid in case they needed her to blackmail the dead guy with, but in the event neither of them ever shows up, and the blackmail works just fine without her presence anyway! Cogley doesn’t even check back in with Kirk at the end—he’s too busy preparing to defend the dead guy, apparently! Did the actor just run out of time and move on to the next gig or what??

“Court Martial” is (imo) one of those bad episodes that still has interest just because of what it establishes about the characters and their world. It’s really our first look at Starfleet as such, beyond the heroes, and you get some interesting perspective on the attitudes and aspirations of its members. Kirk was a midshipman who vaulted over the heads of more experienced officers, inviting their jealousy. Promotion accomplished by list—a senior officer’s bad opinion of you seems to count for everything. The dead guy himself so manically ambitious to command that he went space crazy about it and planned a completely nonsensical crime (what were his future plans? swoop back in to save his daughter (in what? A shuttle?) and peace out before they realized that he was a psychotic fraud?) The commodore anxious not to let it all come to trial because he’s worried about the reputational consequences for the fleet (to Kirk’s anger and astonishment). The junior officer lawyer for the prosecution, professionally dedicated but not above loving her case around behind the scenes for personal reasons. And most of all the odd (probably unrealized/unintentional/period) insistence on the relative fallibility of the computer compared to the obviously perfectly reliable human mind. It’s by no means a window on utopia: we get a portrait of a sharply status-conscious society struggling to balance its traditions with technological progress, where perfect information is rarely available and human trust, however self-interested, is all one has to go on.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

S1 has Arsenal of Freedom which is an all-time Trek great. “It’s a good ship.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Some of the other episode concepts later in the pitch are even better. I particularly like “A Question of Cannibalism”