Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I've been meaning to ask: councils are basically of highly variable size, right? Some are basically a neighborhood government, others are what a Yank would describe as a county government?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm in a conservation area so not allowed solar panels on the roof. The planning officer admitted if I just did it they would have to allow it though as they dont have the power to prevent it. which is a clear and helpful strategy to have adopted

is the problem, i dunno, birds getting blinded?

one presumes you're not putting a solar-thermal death laser on your house

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

let them fight dot gif

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Appears he got off lightly. The SNP wanted to dynamite him

harsh but fair

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cimber posted:

if your Labour are anything like our democrats I would not be surprised. Our Dems are renowned for the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Labour seem to be worse than the democrats these days tbh, mostly due to the UK having much stronger top down control of the party leading to Starmer ousting the Good Labour Pols

I gather if I lived in the UK I'd be voting snp even if I lived in Cornwall and had to run for the slot myselr

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

funny thing about the world's densest billionaire* is that he's done multiple genuinely tricky submarine rides, you'd think he'd take one look at this operation and go "lol good luck guys"

* may not actually be billionaire, it's frankly tricky enough to find detailed info about the investment group he started in 02

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Was the billionaire on board the creator of the sub?

nope, creator still alive, the guy who got imploded is Hamish Harding, a Dubai based aircraft broker with a somewhat sketchy looking investment group who was very private about everything except aircraft brokering and his various dangerous hobbies

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Apparently the sub company CEO was in the coffin vessel as well. Say what you want at least he had the balls to get turned into blobfish go down with his ship.

oh I guess I completely missed that reporting rip

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Little nozzle to the outside you can open for a 5000psi bidet.

you joke but "used the toilet wrong" is a pretty common cause of sub disasters

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

There's an actual no poo poo commercially produce mini-sub for sale that can reach the titanic and get this - you sit in a transparent acrylic sphere. The same company makes vessels that have gone to the bottom of the Marianas trench (and come back up again).

I bet a tiny porthole, a poop bucket and the BO of 3 other humans in close proximity is preferable though.

I wish to reiterate Harding rode one of those or something much like it farther than this, and then took a look at the groversub breaking free of the tethers of maritime vessel inspection and basic good sense and went "yes I will ride this thing"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

worst toilet sinking was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-1206 but i'm positive I've read about others; maybe they were just partial disasters though, not ship loss

actually this one wasn't a direct toilet sinking either, just a partial flooding that caused them to surface while still in an area crawling with British airplanes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

a friend of mine and her parents decided to go from permanent residency in the US to citizenship two thirds because of Brexit and one third because of Donald Trump

she's still livid that she doesn't have a fully schengen ready passport anymore

(also her parents immigrated to Britain from Egypt so I bet a bunch of these shitters would respond "good, we don't want browns here")

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

"Debris" has been found in the search area, so yeah, they 100% imploded when their signal went dead. Hopefully it was quick, it's a horrible way to go.

Implosion even "only" at 1400m is faster than human nerves can send signals around

at most they heard the badly designed and undercalibrated hull integrity alarm go "beep?" and had enough time to think "wha-"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Would be a good deal

guernsey is not particularly more worthwhile than inhabited greenland (sorry, guernsians? guernsites? guernesodes?) and greenland is Very Large and comes with an alarming amount of national waters

if i were the prime minister (and you can plausibly assume that i am not Rishi Sunak) and denmark made that offer, i'd sign it so fast the pen would catch fire

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i guess there might be some issues with forcing greenland danes to speak more english and forcing guernsians to speak danish but eh, y'all are all part of the same continental union, no big deal

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I see Peter Hitchens is talking utter bollocks again, thus confirming the forward flow of time.

https://twitter.com/ClarkeMicah/status/1678433313575383047

Sunak and Starmer both want secret Portugal-style end to the war on drugs but they're not telling anyone because it's secret. Anyway Portugal has failed, here's a terrible article that I only read the headline of.

"far from conservative" is also not entirely an accurate take on wapo even by the standards of reductionist descriptions

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

wouldn't mind a couple dozen of those in my Texas municipality tbh

probably not a lot of foot room though

DJT518T posted:

I should do an effort post on the whole ulez/caz thing but as an enthusiast of late 90s or early 2000s fast petrol cars it's a bit of a downer.

i'm familiar with a chunk of the policy stuff on related topics in the US but not particularly a car person even in the US, i'm honestly not sure i'm following the dialogue enough never mind good effortposts

would read, is what i'm sayin'

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 23, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

happyhippy posted:

You can just boil them all which is gently caress all cooking.

on the off chance I forgot I was reading the ukmt

(get a crockpot for the love of god)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If you think that's bad wait until you see what he did to the building.

(maybe don't watch if you're photosensitive..)

https://twitter.com/itsmefrenchy123/status/1685177000913502209

Not sure there is a better metaphor for musk's existence in the world, honestly.

fun fact: it's literally directly across from the SF city attorneys' office

the people whose job it is to sue Musk if he fucks around with this when he's inevitably told to take it down on Monday: "what in tarnation"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

TBH I've been jobseeking lately and there's already loads of positions for fast-track detectives if you have a degree. Like £35-40k after 2 years.

If being a detective was like the games and movies I might consider it, rather than just spending most of your time finding ways to pin crimes on black people and telling rape victims there's nothing you can prove.

rather doubt the first one is mandatory except in the "you have an implicit clearance quota" sense

second one is often true and sucks

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

Here have some driver brainworms just to exacerbate the point.
https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1684192873774821378

It's a real roundabout way of saying you should never have been given a licence.

tbh I need to look into this thing, it's obviously a massive violation of driver expectation etc which is bad; "I don't like staring at the speedometer" is a stupid way to put it but it's not completely off base

I assume it's primarily a safety measure, which is good but usually speed limit changes and nothing else aren't the best choice

I also assume Khan's nerd advisors aren't total morons

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Microplastics posted:

This is my go-to image for

LOOK at that dribble. That's proper liquid

i uh don't suppose you'd mind spoilering that image, i don't enjoy seeing it when i'm skimming the thread

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 6, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Do we lack an IK ?

it's guavanaut and that's why i rarely push buttons here, which usually goes well

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

at the most basic level leaving human remains lying around is basically super-littering and somebody needs to do the cleanup

what I'm saying is 1) bring back paupers' mass graves and 2) pay the dustmen's union a living wage and then some

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I will also accept government-authorized cadaver resale and processing services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

sky burials are pretty cool. they are also space inefficient and, in bulk, are probably unsanitary

there are better ways to feed the scavenger birds that will inherit Britain, and there are better ways to turn corpses into nutritious paste compost