Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

I really do enjoy the trend of unbelievably yoked wizards.

Bring your spell book to leg day energy.

It makes sense. Wizards are supposed to be needs who studied real good.

Modern society have shown us that needs have figured out ways to apply study and focus to maximise gains from physical working out.
It's just about making sure that your lesson plan has time devoted to working out.

That or you cast Tensure's Transformation every day and just lie and claim your ripped body is from constant hard work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dabir posted:

And not a single one of the bastards will grant me the rank of Master

I just wanted to say that I got this joke, and it made me laugh.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Skull Servant posted:

This issue, unfortunately, is wider than Schofield and there are legitimate reasons to defend him (to a certain degree), at the moment.

So there is a lot to this whole case. There is a lot of information and confusion about what time this happened at and where. Did Schofield make contact when this person was underage or was he talking to him when he was over the age of consent, but still decades younger than him?

To look at the situation in the fairest manner, look at the facts that are not in dispute.

1) By Schofields own admission he lied to a lot of people about what had happened. He is trying to justified why he lied about it, but he has admitted to lying about it. That fact alone means whatever he is saying about the situation now is suspect because he has little to any credibility left. It also means that his version of events ("this was just unwise but not illegal") has to get scrutinised.

2) If you look even at select quotes or clips from that interview, Schofield has the victim mentality of a narcissist. "Do you have any idea how hard this is on me, not being on a TV show?" Or "yes I was talking to an underage person online. Are you saying we should never talk to an underage person online or it might be considered to be grooming?"
This is a other warning sign.

3) Even looking at the rough outline of events, it sounds dodgy. He helps this person get a job on the show, they start a relationship, it ends and now the person is working on another show? And it was all hidden from management and other people? Hidden from his own management agency and his bosses at the TV station.
But according to Schofield, we are supposed to believe that this is fine. Or that if it was a hetero couple involved, then nothing would happen?

I disagree. I think that there is more of a willingness now to at least pretend to take onboard the dynamics of abuse of power levels in relationships now.

I fully accept that the degree that tabloids have latched onto it, is for cynical and explotive reasons. But the "legitimate" media trying to downplay it seems very much like they don't like where the conclusions would lead on this.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 2, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Do people from Bedford at least get to make "3 in a Bedford" jokes?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

"So as you can see by the tattoo above Quagmire's penis, this clearly takes place after the events alluded to in season..."

Judge, the prosecution is prepared to call expert witnesses from Lucasfilm to state which level of canon should apply to these images of Ashoka Tano. Furthermore, we shall prove that they are not from the later Star Wars Rebel series, which took place later in the timeline.

Defence QC KC: And the defence is prepared to call rebuttal evidence that all Lucasfilm material on levels of canon were in turn made non-canon after the purchase by Disney.

Judge: (Turns to camera.) Voir Dire? More like Voir Dier, which for the sake of the transcript I am pronouncing as Dire like a Dire Wolf.

(Que audience canned laughter.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I still stand by my belief that the EU is better off without us and our stupid island is rich enough to weather the consequences of leaving. I have to admit I didn't expect the Tories to go quite this balls to the wall.

Mind you Sunak has actually been less of an insane Brexiteer despite being the first actual leave PM. May and Truss voted remain, Johnson literally didn't care and did it to further his political ambitions.

Given all the effect Brexit has had on Northern Ireland, Brexit has not been "nothing really happened. Everyone is really okay."' Like it has massively shook up the while region.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jedit posted:

The Imperium is explicitly fascist, they probably stole the stance from the Tories.

So an important thing to remember about Warhammer 40K (where the models are from) is that it was a game created in the 1980's in England, and like Judge Dredd, it is sort of supposed to be satire.

That part often gets overlooked, but occasionally, it has a bit of absurdist humour to it.

Like most people don't realize that one of the big Ork's in the setting is called Ghazghkull l Thraka or to give him his full name Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka.

Which if you say it outloud, is Margaret Thatcher.

And every so often you run into a comedy thing in this game that became a super serious IP when it started making a company money hand over fist and you have to sort of square this circle.

I still think they try and do it every so often, like when the Welfare Primarch, Lion El Johnson, came back and he sort of looks like a fighting mad version of Jeremy Corbynn.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Did the actually make the blood ravens a big important chapter? I do like them simply because they appear to spend most of their time stealing incredibly valuable artefacts from other chapters.

Just throw them on the pile of Space Marine chapters that are in fact made up of traitor chapters.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That's the Blood Angels.

The Blood Ravens have mostly been confined to the game series Dawn of War, but they get a few cryptic easter egg style mentions in the wider lore/novels and are most likely descended from the Thousand Sons (Chaos), which is a big no-no and would get them hunted down and executed by all of their Imperium allies if it got out.

The thing is, there are a bunch of chapters that if the "Truth Got Out" would be deaded. So much so that it sort of loses all meanings.

There is the Blood Ravens who are probably descended from Thousand Sons (unless they are descended from Word Bearers.)

Then there are the Storm Wardens from the Death Watch RPG. Who are probably secretly descended from the World Eaters (and the Welsh.) Or maybe secretly descended from the War Hounds. (and the Welsh.)

The Grey Knights might descendent from the Emperors Himself. Or secretly based on Thousand Son geneseed that has been cured of the Curse of Flesh.

A few of the Dark Angels successor Chapters are suspected to actually be descendent from the Fallen, which is pretty Heretical.

Then you have enough survivors from pre-Traitor Legions (and the revelation that the Imperium still has a bunch of the DNA of all the Primarchs. Even the two they really don't talk about) that you can make a bunch of super Sus Chapters, if you want them to have more backstory.

So there is that.
Anyway if you want more UK based News here is someone with a good take on the Prince 'Arry trail.

https://twitter.com/MichaelTakeMP/status/1666339927393542146?t=gjOzYPeqVDPMSK3Oig1Kmw&s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

bessantj posted:

Wait, is that normal for a council? To invest in things? I'm just realising now I haven't thought about how councils get all their money.

It turned out that Woking Council just bought a bunch of 9th Ed. 40K armies. Then when the news of 10th Ed. broke, so did their budget.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dysgenesis posted:

I have just done a bit of googling and Google mapping to see these woking skyscrapers and my only thought is 'what we're they thinking?'

I know the answer is money.

Just a bunch of people who would have been best off if they had been given a copy of Sim City and told to confine their ambitious to that.

On the plus side, at least there is no real world button that summons a giant Bowser to smash up the town.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Microplastics posted:

You're thinking of his custard cannon.

Sounds like he needs to see a doctor then.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

GuardianObserver saying one of the quiet parts out loud. Not even a quiet part, one of the parts that should not even be a part.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/11/ecocide-russia-ukraine-war-kakhovka-dam-destroyed

:chloe:

They do know that you can condemn Putin without saying "say what you like about Hitler, at least he kept his killing organized", right? That this isn't a normal avenue of thought that one needs to travel for any reason?

I trust this will be followed up as seriously as when a mayor has lunch with a film-maker who did a Q&A with someone who said some stupid poo poo about Nazism.

Also this point falls apart when you realize that Putin's Russia has far more in common with the Nazi's than it does Communist Russia.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I think the boost for painting giant Z's at home and abroad be it on military equipment or domestically in Russia to "Support the troops" is pretty facistic.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Randallteal posted:

UK goons: is what's happening with the SNP normal for police investigations? What's the point of "arresting" someone just to interview them and let them go? It feels like an intimidation tactic, but one that would only work on people who don't actually have financial and legal resources.

It's actually pretty common. Usually, you arrest someone and unless they specifically confess there and then you release them. But you can use what they say in the interview to form part of the case. Unless they went "No Comment" throughout the entire interview.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I really hope the Farage thing ends up being like a 12 hour Live Stream where they find nothing except the odd Seagull.

"Look the only reason we couldn't find any boats full of migrants is because they must be using stealth technology! This just proves we are right!"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

It's funny a similar tpox came up in a podcast I was listening.

Basically it was talking about computer gaming and changes in the way game journalists operate.

Basically the old hand from the 90's/Future Publishing era talked about going to Gaming Expo's, spending all day writing notes, and then all night drinking/partying with the knowledge the magazine didn't have to come out for another few weeks. (One journo in particular explained how he used to collect leaflets/flyers from every game stand, stuff them in a box, have the Box posted from America back to Bath and he'd have all the material to write his articles when he got home. Pretty clever.)

The counterpoint was a YouTube creator who explained that now, you'd he expected to go to the conference in the day and go back to your hotel at night and record some videos to release ASAP. This real hustle/grind mindset over partying and networking.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So based on my understanding of the situation...

Do you remember two years ago when the Oxford AstraZenica Covid vaccine was supposed to be released in Europe? But there was a big whoops and all the supplies for the EU were accidentally made wrong and couldn't be released.
But there was no problem with the UK supplies so they could be released with no issue.
Oh and the US and Isreal and some other countries who could pay under the table mysteriously got some large supplies of Vaccine?

That's what the situation is like. It's not a matter of "I will pay real world money to get it!" It's that is being ring fenced to a certain type of high net worth buyer who is into this because of a combination of "trends" and diet culture indoctrinating them into fearing being fat.
It's a gross situation and one that hurts the people who really need it.
Sorry if it didn't help you stop eating cheese Emperor Boris the Incompetent.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mebh posted:

Thanks for the kind posts. If we could buy it, I would have.

Basically it's being ringfenced and is unreliable in the supply she would need (vastly higher than for weight loss). To my knowledge the patent is owned by one company and they have no intention of increasing supplies as it's very expensive and complex to make and the fad is already dying down.

Stocks are supposed to return to normal next year. Woo.

I'm just really angry this was allowed to happen with off label use. As how it works for weight loss is it basically makes you too nauseous to want to eat. Pretty sure there are lots of ways to do that.

It's also a vision of what is to come from poorly regulated markets on drugs/medicines and unregulated social media*.
You are going to get trends where some dipshits will say "combine these two drugs for wonderful results!" And it will be posted and allowed to spread on some social media, and then become a craze in the real world.
Just like with Horse Wormer medication and Covid or diet craze with diabetic medicine.

Welcome to our new Cyberpunk reality.

*= Not fully the fault of social media on It's own. Legacy media feeding and stoking up political tensions and anti-intelectualisim** laid the ground work for this. But it's hard to imagine that even the most rabid crazy media organisations like GBNews and the like would run with these claims.

** = See the earlier conversation about anti-intelectualisim a few pages ago.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Or this is the start of a classic comic style Misunderstanding Brawl(TM) that ends up with Ash and Jolyon in a Team-Up in that great Marvel style!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The musician named after two ducks has been found to be dogshit tho
https://twitter.com/MarkGComedyUK/status/1670047349823922176

sorry i accidentally liked numerous homophobic tweets for several years uwu

I think I liked him better well all I knew him for was being the one from Take That who Star Stories said communicated like Chewbacca. Turned out he was saying horrible stuff all this time in Wookie speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9nxRhVmcus

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Nuclear Spoon posted:

jacob what the gently caress are you talking about

also lmao that he actually got a knighthood for being a snivelling shitlicking dickhead

Man, if Mogg really did get an Irish passport in advance of Brexit as was being reported at the time, it would be hilarious if the Irish Government revoked his Irish citizenship for taking that Knighthood.

Well, I'd laugh at least.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Has this ever happened tho? Massive bellend "Sir" Bob Geldof is still an Irish citizen to my knowledge, although I think he was stripped of the Freedom of Dublin honour for being a cock so that's something.

Speaking of citizenship, my wife's cousin (and de facto sibling) and all round great bloke is getting naturalised today after 20 years as a refugee on Ireland from the post-apocalyptic wasteland of Boston,MA. We wish him well.

Oh, it's super unlikely. Basically from my research into the area (from a previous job) the Government (and in particular the Minister for Justice, I think) has the power to remove Irish citizenship from someone.
I suspect it can only be done to someone who applied for Naturalisation and not someone who applied for Citizenship in other ways but I think the general principle is that the Government can create laws to remove Irish Citizenship from someone if they so wish.

Now the example of when they used this was on a person who was convicted of Terrorism charges and even then they had to put forward arguments for it. (And, one could note it was probably intended that only certain kinds of Terrorism offences would get this reaction. They haven't tried removing the Irish passports of people convicted of being in the IRA.)

It was more for the cheek of someone applying for Irish Citizenship, remaining as a British MP (and member of the British Government) and then taking a British title of nobility. All things that, when you look at what is required to take Irish Citizenship and what you are supposed to swear to, is a bit of a thumb in the eye.

Like I know it would never happen, but I would find it funny if it did.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Do you remember that guy in Denmark who invented his own submarine and ended up killing and dismembering the journalist who went to him for an interview?

Apparently, he was quite well regarded in his field before he went to jail.

So, the submersible field. Full of a lot of fine, trustworthy sorts.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

They almost certainly have arrested people who were generating the streams (fpr profit) and not those watching them,

The only time I can think of it coming up was a sort of hybrid example seen below.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/joshua-boxing-facebook-sky-klitschko-14127413

(Basically the guy got an illegal stream of a boxing match. But his drunk mate started livestreaming the illegal stream.)

Now that is such a fringe case that it can be judged on it's own merits.

There is an interesting legal debate about if streaming actually meets the legal definition of theft.
My understanding is that under Irish law streaming (but not file downloading) doesn't meet the requirements as you can't be shown that you intended to deprive the (copyright) owner of their product.
But due to some change in English law (the exact change I'm not aware what it is), streaming would be considered theft.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Watching those BBC clips, it highlights that when Brexit happened it was always going to end up with the hardest of hard deals to no deal.
Because when you look at that group you see there is no reality to an agreement, no set of concrete proposals or idea of compromise. It was always going to be the UK demanding all the benefits, none of the costs and if you don't like it tough! (Followed by them immediately folding in the negotiation because they have no real bargaining power.)

The clip about NI is chilling as it is pretty much a microcosm of what happens to anything Ireland related when someone from Britain gets involved. They come in and throw their weight around with no understanding of the situation and just a demand that things go their way.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Isn't the whole "children are identifying as cats!" thing an import from the American Right Wing media?

Like I remember it being because photos were circulating of classrooms with "litter trays" and the ghouls of Fox News/OANN were saying it was because teachers were indulging in kids fantasies of being cats and thus having to use litter trays instead of toilets as they were cats.

When the reality for why classrooms had litter trays in them were an emergency measure for if there was an active shooter situation in a school, then the terrified children had a place inside the classroom where they could whaz*. So this was a Right Wing deflection to an issue they wanted to deal with (children's identity) from a problem they didn't want to deal with (gun control).

Which leads to two things.
1) It's nightmarish to think how the problem is people with guns going into schools and shooting up classrooms of kids, and the offered solution is "sit tight. Hope you don't get murdered."

2) Just as nightmarish is how these news stories are the end result of a baffling chain of stories where the original meaning is forgotten, the lie made up to deflect from the original issue is taken as fact and it grows into its own independent nonsense.
Kojima was right. We needed a flying turtle robot to censor the Internet.

*= Growing up my primary school all had toilets inside most of the class rooms near the coat racks at the side. So you didn't have to leave the class to go to the loo. It wasn't until I went to Secondary School that I learnt that this was very much not the norm.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Exactly. They're the party of sober...

Not with Keir at the helm.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I think my takeaway from Stalker is ultimately that [

I dunno, it doesn't feel quite complete, and obviously all of that kind of happens at the end of the film which leaves me at a bit of a loss analysing the rest of it. It's saying something about people and the importance of hope and the tension between desiring something and getting it. But I think I don't quite grasp what exactly. Just have a vague impression, half formed shape of what it's saying. I dunno if that's that it doesn't translate perfectly or if it's just not spelled out clearly.

I think the big take from a film about going to a dangerous area to learn a great truth, but at a horrible cost, is how the original film was destroyed in an accident, a new film was shot, and the location was so toxic many of the cast and crew became sick or died.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

winegums posted:

So I'm looking for some help, regarding memes. I'm trying to explain pictorial memes to a group of people who know gently caress all about the internet, Twitter etc.

I'm trying to find a good example of an image meme which everyone who understands it gets it, but which might be fairly opaque from the outside. Ones like Leo pointing at the screen or the roll safe meme aren't ideal as they kinda suggest something from the image itself.

Something like that picture of Baddiel in blackface people post whenever he decides he's the racism understander is probably a good example. But I'm looking for an example that's less contentious. Can anyone think of one?

Do you have any other cultural touchstones you can use?
Like the Simpsons or Star Trek have had lots of memes made from them. Can you use them as an example?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

THANK YOU. They're all just overly-busy Jim'll Paint It knockoffs that slide right off my eyeballs, but all the comments are "you've done it again Steve". :smith:

I look at it and just think "that's probably a reference to some painting that I have never seen. Oh well."
And I move on thinking that there is some meaning to it that I couldn't gleam.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah so the Freeman of the land stuff is obviously super dumb and easy to point and laugh at.
Often it ropes in desperate people who are unable (or unwilling) to engage with the legal system.
And then there are times (as in the above case) where it seems to be used by people who think that if they act in a belligerent or aggressive manner, they'll be allowed get away with bad behaviour.

The real dangerous time comes when you get someone who is a true believer or someone who adopts this stance since they believe that it just gives them legal justification to do whatever they want.

There is an Irish case going through the courts at the moment where one of the acqused is using a lot of Freeman of the Land language. (Three of the the four people charged were convicted and are awaiting sentencing.)

(Content Warning: The below link has descriptions of the crime which includes graphic violence, disturbing Humiliation and the killing of a dog.)

Man convicted for role in attack on guards at repossessed Roscommon house calls case a ‘farce’ https://jrnl.ie/6107068

The accused fired his lawyers near the end of the trial, represented himself and during his speech (which is supposed to be the time to plead for mitigation or mercy of the court) takes the opportunity to call it a farce and makes a pretty clear cut threat against the prosecution barrister.

Pretty scary stuff.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Microplastics posted:

The tweet seems to be gone. I feel like I'm missing out on some comedy

Incidentally, since it was mentioned yesterday, why has nobody invented a website or a browser add-on where you put a tweet url in and it spits out a screenshot of the tweet? (or better yet, uploads it for you to imgur and gives you the bbcode embed link)

C'mon nerds!!

The Tweet was a link to this news story.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...ing-battle.html

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

"We iz ditching the Onited Kingdom, since their boss is just a Grot now. We iz going to join with Norway to make a massive Waaagh!"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

And if she's not Aslan then who is Aslan? Is it me?

In addition to being a Jesus analogue, Aslan is also an Irish band. Probably won't play much now that their lead singer sadly passed away last month.
Had a couple of decent songs they did.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

One thing I'll miss when Twitter dies is Steven Hogarty's gimmick on Climate Change.

https://twitter.com/misterbrilliant/status/1676525843076505600?t=HtuqKWlZXAN1m81df0xW3Q&s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is this real or fanfic?

:eek:

My reaction when I read that was to laugh at this brilliantly written satire.

Then I discovered it's a real article.

Guavanaut posted:

I guess that depends on what sector specific echo chamber you're in, because I can remember Norbert Rillieux being lauded as the father of industrial process innovation way back, whereas I doubt Elon Musk will be remembered as an innovator of anything other than poo poo jokes and loving things up except among a dozen techbro winfluencer dickheads.

You jest and yet up until recently (and probably still now with a shrinking number of people) people were sure that Elon Musk was a genius.

People bought the PR spin that he was a modern-day Tony Stark who invented the electric car.

They didn't get that he was a huckster who made his rockets explode because he was tired of hearing about safety concerns about a lack of a blast pitt, he created a drilling company that could never dig a proper tunnel but would help kill public transport projects in a state and instead of making a left hand drive car for the UK, just gave people the Reacher

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 5, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I was watching a video by an engineer on these kind of things and he was saying that while it's true that using controllers for certain things is perfectly fine (turrets in the US military was an example given) it's apparently extremely stupid to use on a submersible, a) because you shouldn't be using it to control movement for something you're currently in and b) because there's nothing to secure you to your environment (such as a fixed chair), meaning if you get disorientated you could press what you think is forward and move left, ensnaring your submersible on debris.

I came to a similar conclusion after playing a bunch of Resident Evil games in the late 90's, and I didn't need a degree in engineering.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Is that where a bunch of guys surround you and pour the egg yolk on you?

It's when Carol Vorderman has some of her gentlemen friends over for a meal.

After a hard day of inciting hatred against Tories.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/04/carol-voderman-inciting-hate-tories-johnny-mercer-wife/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Over the last 10 year, the corruption in SA has really started to overwhelm and degrade the countries economy and government. All of which while run by the ANC. Like, their power grid keeps failing and trains keep stopping because power cables, tracks, and signalling poo poo keeps getting stolen, and it's not like there's more poverty in SA than there was 10 years ago.

There much more to it than "Blacks ruined this country", it's more than the ANC got more incompetent and corrupt while relying on the legacy of winning apartheid to win elections.

I have to say, when I started reading this post and saw SA, I thought it was a reference to Something Awful. Having read the rest of it, I still think that's what it's about.