Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tjN76mbJcM

Make sure you study Damage Deck Theory, your degrees in Damage Bucket Theory are no longer valid

Diablo content creators educating normies about basic gaming nerd math is wholesome

poe creators trying to find more complexity in D4 than is actually there is hilarious

my yt feed has been great lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Friendly reminder you can track any Aspect location directly from your Codex

It will show you exactly where it is on the world map, go get your toys

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Who Dat posted:

If you’re on console like me the inventory menu is kind of clunky. I haven’t used any elixirs yet because :effort:

bind them to the emote wheel

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gently caress me.

I was expecting 'pretty good' or 'good', that was exceptional.

Art (god drat), music (god drat), sounds (god drat) all phenomenal.

Technically flawless on my end, a bare handful of trivial bugs, exceptional performance running everything cranked.

Gameplay was extremely enjoyable throughout and I've barely even scratched the surface of possible builds, much less classes.

And it's loving massive, this may be the biggest game of this type I've seen in a launch state.

And the story! Pathos, in my Diablo characters?

And the setup for seasons and expansions. Yeah.

What a game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

somnambulist posted:

Maybe this is too early since it has that new paint smell still, but this is, to me, one of the best games Blizzard has ever put out. While I don’t think it pushed ARPGs in the same way maybe Diablo 2 did in its day- the level of detail, the music, the graphics, the story, even good NPC dialogue throughout…..

It bears repeating again, the MUSIC.

Taking away my nostalgia glasses, I can’t think of a better game Blizzard has made in at LEAST 20 years.

There might be some better moments in other games, and certainly the game is not perfect by any means (there’s still some QOL improvements that are needed badly like organizing gems, aspects etc)

But they knocked this poo poo out of the park. I was super nervous because Diablo 3’s story was so loving stupid and I’m very pleasantly surprised. I find myself NOT skipping dialogue for most quests.

Great job blizzard.

no I'm in this camp too, I finished it last night and it stomped my pretty reserved expectations

gotta go play more, demons aren't going to smash themselves

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Things I miss from Path of Exile: depth with the skill tree, minimap overlay, item filters. That’s it.

For real, and I feel like skill tree/complexity is going to get amped up over time naturally

Item filters would be killer though, the rare sorting is extremely silly rn - not onerous, but silly

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

so is the game good

No, it's excellent

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm still regularly getting stunned by the visual quality, if you've got the rig and display for it, this game looks loving astounding

You could snap shots of the overworld and it looks like a brilliantly painted landscape

And then just random bits like the sand covered ruins in a dungeon with sunlight leaking in from above and making the sand glint and sparkle

Incredible stuff, their art team did a good

I could rave about the sound and music design in the same way, the loving music tracks have randomized instruments and adjust pace and intensity to match the action (music crescendoing during the last 10% of a world boss or ramping up to loud and in front during a legion event)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

InventorOfTrees posted:

wait has no one linked this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PdH-zavwO4

what the gently caress is going on with the marketing for this game lmao

doing their job extremely well?

https://twitter.com/chartdata/status/1665756729903050754?t=QzddVvz1_sP5oyPplaux_Q&s=19

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

I am like Level 43 and haven’t finished Act 1 yet. I am bad at Diabloing.

are you having fun? congrats you have won the diablo

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

does anyone have a brief must-know lore summary? it's been so long since I played d2/d3 and I just am forgetting who half these characters, etc, are.

did you watch the book of lorath videos?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

I thought Malthael was a better villain than Diablo and RoS's story overall was improved.

Malthael had his VA going 110% Ruthless

and it totally ruled

still team Lilith tho

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I kinda don't get how seasonal characters are worth the bother when it just ties into cosmetics, but I've never played an arpg as a forever game. I usually just play through with a couple classes and call it.

Like in wow seasons are tied into gearing up for a new raid even if the mythics are recycled content, but the seasonal changes in arpgs seem pretty minor.

its an excuse to play a new build with new stuff with friends op

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

stop picking up gems

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

paragon board and glyphs are more interesting than I expected from seeing them on paper

gaining a point or two can turn on a bunch of power which feels good, and you can reconfigure them to match a new build without much trouble (barring the idiocy of not being able to unspec whole boards, but I'm assuming that'll happen at some point)

I've been noodling around in torment playing various builds, they've felt substantially different (and fun), but I'd expect a season 1 patch to tune up some of the underperformers

game is extremely well set up for More Stuff

aspects glyphs and passives seem like obvious low hanging fruit for seasons, stuff like new skills, uniques, paragon boards, classes, etc will probably be expansion material, but who knows, maybe a few here and there

I really have no idea what to expect from the seasons as a whole, or these early seasons, like none at all - there's so many directions they could go with seasons, from borrowed power to permanent additions to the world and classes

will the first seasons be low effort? expansive? got me, I'm certainly curious

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

after dicking around with respeccing in t4 I can confirm my pre release opinion that respec costs suck rear end and add nothing of value

I can also confirm that multiple builds are fun and feel good

Dameius posted:

People want D3 rifts, even if they don't realize it.

I do not

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Self quoting because I'm still looking for this.

Ideally something with active combat but that doesn't require me to play my keyboard like it's a jazz piano. Necro has just started feeling pretty ploddy to me (which is also a concern I've had about the druid) so I'm kind of prioritizing a gotta go fast mentality right now. Just trying to shake things up.

melee rogue

leapquake (more active) or frenzy barb (less active, but fast)

I think sorc has some fast teleport setup dunno

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Is anyone having success with a brawler style barbarian in WT3? I'm having great fun with a build that utilises the aspect of perpetual stomping to allow me to bounce around between enemies, applying bleeding with rend, using kick to get elites out of my face while applying vulnerable, then leaping again, while dropping earthquakes all the time too.
I'm just wondering this will be viable once I complete the campaign, or if I should start collecting pieces/aspects for a more defensive strategy.

leapquake works great with hota, you're getting 15% dr and 15%x damage from the quakes, which isn't nothing, plus the free aoe damage, and the constant leap refreshes give it insane mobility, and allow keeping berserk up essentially permanently just from kick and leap usage, plus one of the eq aspects uses a defensive instead of an offensive slot, which is nice

there might be some meme build that uses the bonus damage to leap/charge aspect, but I haven't looked into it too closely

really I have no clue what charge is for rn, there's no aspect support, and I don't think any other gear or paragon support for it either

weirdly there's also no Brawling allskills on amulets, only weapon master and defense skills, so you can't push them to 11 (lol), and the only brawling skill support is war cry on pants, nothing for kick/leap/charge - I expect they'll see updates down the road

the only awkward bit I don't love about it is kick, you're forced to either deal with the knockback (which isn't too bad given leap), but it has counter-synergy with the emplaced earthquakes, and doesn't play well with parties - but if you choose to take power kick, you fury dump every time you reset leap, which isn't ideal either

I'm not sure it's the Best Form of hota for climbing nightmare, but it'll easily take you through wt4 and into early sigils, and the mobility feels great for hopping around the world smashing everything - you can also run a berserk fury ring for constant fury regen, and depending on your other gear, you may or may not want an Umbral ring for the other slot, you can possibly use another offensive aspect there depending on how your fury gen feels

(fwiw I've gone through bleed/double swing/hota, working on upheaval now, I think if I was going to take any build as a fresh S1 starter, it'd be hota or double swing)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

friendly note that applying lower tier aspects to higher tier gear takes massively more raw materials

normal legendary (or codex) Aspect onto an ancestral item is something insane like 60 rare crystals and 3x the legendary mats

even sacred to ancestral is expensive

tldr, nuke your vault once you've comfortably moved up a tier unless you don't mind paying out the rear end to imprint

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

boredsatellite posted:

It remains to be seen what d4 seasons will have but I wouldn't expect anything too interesting or drastic until like season 3

this was my exact thought on the timing

I'm very curious though, D4 team has been kinda dodging my expectations

I'm really wondering what they're going to do with the store given diablo immoral (and I guess wow tokens or something? dunno haven't touched that in years)

I'm hoping to see skill effects and goofy gameplay related effects ala PoEs supporter packs, which have probably the coolest mtx I've seen in any of the live service shitter games I do play

I'm expecting to see one new cosmetic set on the season pass and ten in the store

(also for anyone not keeping track of parent atvi shenanigans, Call of Duty starting selling a battlepass for the battlepass, with literal gold themeing so you can flaunt your wealth to the filthy poors as you shoot them and scream slurs)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the best part of D4 seasons will be poe content creators trying to stretch out the view dollars for three months in a game wildly less complex, looking forward to detailed nightmare dungeon spreadsheet videos after 1000 runs in each

(side note, searching for D4 information is loving intolerable, but that's how internet searching has felt to me for a few years now so I guess that fits)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DaveKap posted:

I'm 100% convinced my non-worry over doing sidequests and aspect dungeons in seasons is due to the PTSD of doing PoE's campaign a dozen times.

fr, I see people complaining about renown and I'm just like 'thank loving christ this isn't poe'

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kaysette posted:

There were actually some fun pvp modes in Diablo immortal they could steal.

burn the heretic!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

harrygomm posted:

if you’re at 85% or higher there’s no practical effect unfortunately. swap out skulls in jewelry for diamonds

there is if you're pushing sigils, your armor reduction is for equal level enemies

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i never played whatever poe is so im glad it didnt make me like this

D4 thread title or poe thread title

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Impermanent posted:

it's absolutely worth chasing your specific unique or legendary roll needs with gambling.

gambling is roll rings until 73

rings are the only slot that gets resource aspects, and those don't change strength with tier or level

73 is needed to get ancestrals

don't think you can gamble uniques tho

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

higher level nightmare sigils drop way more ancestrals and more uniques

I can't confirm if they drop higher item power on average or if that's just a factor of more ancestrals which all start around 700, I did replace multiple uniques with new higher power ones so that was nice

either way I pulled way more 800+s and uniques from 40+ sigils than I did helltides or other general torment stuff over the weekend

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mr. Pickles posted:

Controller sucks if you want to Teleport as sorceress, or if you wish to Leap as barb for mobility. You can leap for Fury sure, but if you leap for mobility gamepad just wont cut it

Lucky for me rogue's Dash works fine on gamepad, otherwise my main character would be F*ked

Shadowstep is also hosed on controller though. You never really know which creature it will shadowstep to

TLDR: Skills for which you need to target a specific monster or click a specific place on the screen to get the result you want are hosed on gamepad. If you use Gamepad with these skills you get a horribly gimped version of them (Teleport, Leap) OR a horribly RnG version of them (Shadowstep)

I played leap for several days and it was fine on controller :shrug:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Whew 89 pages in a week.

I liked D2x and POE back when I had time to play video games. Now I can't really sit at a computer for the extended periods of time necessary to have fun in these games (or to even finish a league really in POE.) The kids these days seem to be talking about a Steamdeck as a way to do this stuff without sitting. Does D4 run well on one? How are the controls? Coming from keyboard and mouse gaming I'm having trouble imagining an interface that's conducive to a handheld controller.

I would be buying a steamdeck just for D4 more or less. I don't have a desktop computer running windows these days.

D4 is superb on controller, about as good as you could possibly ask for (better in one key respect, it'll rumble if you're standing in bad :v:)

I usually use kbm to speed up inventory management in town or fiddle with some sub menus, but for actually playing the game I have a PS5 or Xbox controller in hand

I haven't tried deck yet but my understanding is it runs quite well, just some font size issues which is true on a lot of games with lots of text

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

D4's combat pacing rules specifically because the concept of one shots is basically "you stood in the bad idiot" or "you're pushing sigils too far past +20 without enough cowbell"

having time to act and react to incoming damage shouldn't be a loving revelation but in this genre, where crazed fans spreadsheet xp per hour, baby steps

really high sigils are still rocket tag but whatever, that's extremely opt in, not the default

I'm super curious what season one will be, not expecting much

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

So if I'm understanding the damage bucket stuff correctly, then damage stats that go in the additive bucket are effectively interchangeable, right (as long as they're relevant to your build)?

In other words if I slow enemies, then +30% damage to slow enemies has exactly the same effect as +30% damage to crowd controlled enemies? Same for say, +20% core skills damage and +20% physical damage, (assuming my core skill does physical damage, of course)?

correct

main stat, vuln, crit/critd, <everything else>, overpower in its own weird playpen

attack speed is technically its own multiplier on everything else, you do all of the above faster, but not all skills use it

there's a hard limit on what you can get from gear, crit is only on gloves and rings, conditionally on gloves and amulets, attack speed on gloves (basic skill aspd on helmet), critd and vuln on weapons and rings

same story in your paragon board and skill tree, you'll generally want to grab all the vuln and crit stuff you can, you may or may not have access (or use for) attack speed

don't over focus on damage though, if you plan to push nightmare tiers you need damage reduction - you can get that on chest pants amulet and boots, a combination of damage reduction and dodge

life is on uh helm pants chest and rings I think

after that it's stuff like cost reduction (boots amulet) cooldown reduction (helm amulet) resource or heal on lucky hit (gloves) resource gen (rings) and +skills (most armor, amulets)

there's only a handful of affixes that are truly junk (thorns, slow duration reduction), I think by design so Johnny and Jane casual can just slap whatever on and get through the campaign

if you want to optimize it's mostly just getting the "good" affixes in the spots they can appear and getting more of the most powerful damage and damage resist stats from paragon

feel free to take any single paragraph or sentence from here and make a ten minute youtube video with SECRET MEGA DAMAGE REVEALED

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Is overpower damage multiplicative? It feels like it is but you almost never see anyone build towards it

I built it but it'd take a whole post to explain

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DarkDobe posted:

pretty sure because you can never go over the 3% chance - but there are only certain skills that can proc it?
It's very conditional ( at least from what I've seen )

I tried to push overpower as far as I could take it on barbarian, there are only two ways to trigger a guaranteed overpower - Combat Bash, 4 crits with bash with a two hander, or Earthstriker's Aspect, swap weapons ten times to guarantee a 50/100% damage boosted overpower

Consequently the only way to do more overpowers in a given timespan was to take a) attack speed and b) crit, which I did

was it successful?

big shrug

https://streamable.com/pknecb

(honestly it's wound up being a deathblow build more than anything else, spamming endless deathblows at warp speed is extremely cathartic)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I do think a barbie overpower build sounds fun, but I'm not sure there's enough ingredients to motivate me yet. Hopefully something I can aim for in S1.

I wouldn't recommend it until they patch Earthstriker's, it's bugged right now and sometimes just doesn't trigger, which extremely sucks rear end

Combat Bash requiring a 2h mace is a real kick in the teeth too because it fucks with the walking arsenal setup, or demands you run all 2H mace and skip earthstriker, which intuitively sounds like it should be correct for overpower (big smashy smashy right?)

but ime, the 2h build is fine, but the walking arsenal version using earthstrikers feels better, as you can use both combat bash and earthstrikers - though using dual wield on deathblow feels bad and wrong though, I want to deathblow with a gigantic loving hammer

I haven't sat down to crunch the numbers, they might be comparable, and there are other benefits to going one way or the other due to paragon board glyph availability and aspect requirements etc

it's been a fun jaunt though, upheaval with all the stun related stuff is extremely strong, and in lower tier content (like nightmares +5-15 instead of 20+ like in that clip I posted) it destroys and it's very fun to play

would it be better dumping all the overpower poo poo and just putting those points into raw damage aspects and paragon? probably, but this is S0, the time for loving with experimental builds, so I'm doing that instead of running 3-shouts-and-a-spender or whatever :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

a lot of uniques have that problem, weapons are especially bad because you're giving up potentially critical offensive aspects

that makes 'cool but not mechanically strong enough' unique weapons really :( because the effects are often cool as poo poo, but you're nerfing yourself by using them which feels really bad

(it's me, the sad barbarian who wanted to use the cool flaming upheaval mace)

(overkill however loving rocks and has some sick interactions I expect to see on a pogface video at some point in the next month if any content creator ever tests something not hota/ww)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

diablo 4 is unfinished because they forgot to include diablo

Diablo died, I killed him

and her

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

they buffed everything I use and a bunch of stuff I was planning to use on a new build, thanks bliz

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jelly posted:

This is probably the correct answer but I just ran another one and it actually brightens once I apply the levels to a glyph, not when the bubble pops up, which is arbitrarily more bizarre.

e: I have the "settings applied to all inputs" thing enabled

there's also the input itself, check that it's set to PC (not HDMI), iirc that changes some behavior as well

my cx dims, but only if I let it sit for awhile (which is what I want it to do anyway), it brightens once I start moving

I do recall firmware updates adjusting this, so that's another item to check

the c1 may have the settings substantially different from mine though, not sure

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

e: like for real if I’m actually contemplating defending loving Blizzard of all things because of how miserable the fanbase can be… like drat.

I've gone from "blizzard is absolutely trash it'll be a miracle if this isn't a dumpster fire" to "this is shockingly better than I expected" to "oh my god please never listen to your fans keep doing what you're doing" over the last month

arpg fans are absolutely loving deranged, they'll fight tooth and nail to defend archaic cargo cult bullshit that's actively hostile to the player in either a mechanical gameplay sense, or in some cases straight up needlessly physically damaging

gonna sacrifice my wrists to the arpg gods so I can post this 1000 blind burrows video like and subscribe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

run a cc break and don't run cold enchanted sigils

there I solved cc for you

feel free to screech about mandatory unstoppable like mandatory vulnerable I guess

(cold enchanted can be fine at lower +levels, it's pretty godawful if you're going too high for sure)