Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Who's playing a sorc? What spells and poo poo you guys using I started with frozen orb and it was ok, then j swapped to some arc thing and chain lightning and it is ok, you seem pretty mana starved tho? Haven't had any deaths on veteran or w.e but doesn't seem like screens are exploding like they should be.

There aren't many monsters either

I'm only level 25 so maybe that's it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah I got the ice armor for more maana and Frost Nova and teleport but I just like cast three chain lightning then use my ark or w.e? This is gonna be the whole game?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Gearman posted:

Legendaries will change it quite a bit.

OK that's good to hear so these leveling builds are just to get to the good parts.

Have I got to beat the game to unlock more difficulties? 2 doesn't seem like many monsters etc.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

I switched from necro to barbarian, didn't really vibe with his lack of survivability at lower levels, and settled on Sorc. Their spells are hitting in ways I was missing with Necro, really enjoying it. Now I just need to figure out how to bring my mana regen way up.

Is there any ways to directly compare a new 2h weapon to the 1h+offhand you have equipped without switching equipment?

If you figure out something good for mana let me know, it feels very limited so far (lvl 40) to spamming ice shards and doing some regen with Frost bolt when I get poor luck on avalanche procs. Better than chain lightning so far for mana but pretty weak on the spell selection. I've been searching for something they may make a blizz/meteor style poo poo potent but haven't found any legendary affix that suits yet.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Sorc needs alot of buffs to poo poo like meteor blizzard orb, there's just no point to waste the limited amount of mana you have on them at this point

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

They really add alot of dumb quests to latter half of this campaign like walk around these zones and talk to these ladies, half the time unskippable poo poo.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

explosivo posted:

There's a lot of stuff in D4 that makes me think everyone at Blizzard played Lost Ark and said "hey let's do that except make it diabloey" and the statue collect-a-thon is definitely one of them. The quests that have you clicking on various things in a room while your character fiddles with them or running back and forth to talk to two people across the world from one another also reminds me a lot of what it was like rushing through the Lost Ark campaign to get to the endgame stuff.

Yeah alot of the campaign quests are time killing filler run around the room clicking poo poo follow some dude through an empty zone etc. Act one seemed better but maybe it was the freshness.

I mash escape for everything so I don't know what is going on in the story but I think I'm almost to diablo.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Man the difference in rogue and sorc seems crazy? It's no trouble to do 10 levels ahead zone and just annihilate the screens on rogue, with almost no generator down time to speak of. Super mobile as well

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

BabelFish posted:

It feels like there's something wrong, either with sorc or rogue. I'm barely able to keep up a couple thousand damage ticks as a firewall sorc, meanwhile I see rogues with similar gear doing multiple tens of thousands of damage instantly and just blowing up entire rooms.

Yeah man I beat the game and tried out a few different sorc builds (ice shards, chain lightning, firewall, a blizz/meteor thing) and they were all varying levels of "ok" the whole time leveling etc. Bosses took a while but I figured that was the game.

A level 20 rogue I made in a half an hour does more damage than my ice shards at 55, it's nuts and rooms just melt. You don't even need to stop sprinting.

And what the hell kind of diablo game is this you don't even fight diablo? Some Kerrigan lookin bitch?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Lol I think the victory lap is a bit premature for this one. Everyone loved d3 at first and it sold super well and fast and then it took years and a paid expansion to make it a good game... Alot of the skills sort of just suck in this once you get to the "endgame"

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Aerox posted:

I've seen some people talking about a super speedy rogue "ice blades" build or something that blasts through WT4, but haven't been able to find anything via google. Anyone know what this build is and if anyone's done a writeup of it?

Flurry with imbue cold?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

InventorOfTrees posted:

The game has a ton of glaring issues, but it is still an absolute delight to play. The longevity of the game absolutely hinges on them expanding/improving existing systems, though.

Even if Blizz decides to never touch the game again (I don't think they'll do this), I think the game is perfectly worth the price of admission. I'll get at least one play through of every class, and have a blast the full way through. As it stands though, I doubt I'll bother to play most of the classes more than once.

That's still a hell of a lot more gameplay than I get out of 90%+ of my game purchases.

I guess if you enjoyed the campaign and stuff this is a reasonable take, although it's a fairly expensive purchase. I did not like the forced runs through empty areas and weird little pointless parkour sections and poo poo just want to kill monsters but to each their own.

I still have a slight bit of hope they may sooner than later go buck wild with uniques and poo poo to open up the rest of the skill tree for using. I'm not really sure how someone played a sorc though even in wt2 and thought yeah these skills and resource management is where the game should be.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

neurotech posted:

Did you level as hota/deathblow?

This is what my current build is: https://d4builds.gg/builds/98adce91-8988-4949-99c1-937d1693f4ff/. I find myself nuking packs/rares when Frost Nova is up, and then I run around casting Ice Shards when I have the mana to do so, and fall back to Frost Bolt which does gently caress all damage. I prefer playstyles that have momentum and can maintain said momentum. If I to stop and micromanage things too much I get frustrated.

I might take a break. I'll see how I go. Still feels bad after dropping $140 on it so recently :nyoron:

I have been using charged lightning since I got the piercing staff and arc lash and its been pretty badass. Got some lucky hit increased when barriered, the homing charge, and the piercing staff and use fire bolt and arc lash as enchants. Have another legendary with 6 percent to clear a defensive on being hit, and the skill that gives 5 percent chance on a crit, and the fire spells that give you mana regen and healing while dudes are burning, as well as the barrier spells.

It means I'm regen mana quickly all the time using cd's, all my cd's stun, and poo poo is dying fast now.

One thing I've noticed is it's giving me "summon kills" for using it, either the explosion from bolt or something is being tagged as summon so I am interested to see if there are any unintended interactions there.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

My second unique was the frostburn gauntlet... I can't see any use for this though

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

God drat are the lilith shrines annoying.

Am I missing something wrt items, picking up rare sacred at level 58 just seems like a waste of time as they're coming with 3 affixes rather than 4, is that a roll as well for number of affixes or are Legendaries getting an extra one by default?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

coelomate posted:

You must pick up all rares and sell them or you will be so, so, so sad trying to enchant sacred and ancestral items.

This is fair enough, I can quickly mark them as junk and mass sell, is the affix number always lower than legendary though?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Legendaries are just rares that rolled an aspect as an additional stat

Every legendary I pick up seems to have 4 affixes + aspect and the rares simply 3 affixes though.. Sample size is only a couple hrs this morning though.

Rares are able to roll 4 affix as well in wt3 and I've just been unlucky?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Magus42 posted:

Appearance only. Devs don't want you to you do multiple builds with one character, so there will be nothing that makes that easy. They were pretty clear in interviews that they want you to make a new character for a new build.

Yeah it's much easier to level up a dude rather than, refund your skills and manually put on gear...?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It will be a balm for his conscience to lock each one behind a 70 dollar expansion pack

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Lol gonna be changed can't be having arc lash build do 20 percent more damage.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

My life for an item filter... Even just by item level 700 and above would be fine.....

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Kaddish posted:

And stash search. Those are my biggest UI gripes.

They gonna save these qol basics for an expansion lol

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I wish they'd have a second build that I could swap to.. Weird that there isn't

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

If you have to get those drat renown rewards again it will be obnoxious. You'd end up needing to get a bunch of statues again just for the renown anyway

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The ruins of eridu is like the perfect dungeon, now replicate that experience for the rest please blizzard.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The uniques are cool, some are good most are junk, need more overpowered affixes on them

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've gotten like ten levels in a couple hours from 60-70 in that dungeon cram packed with elites and so many upgrades it's unreal. Even better with a partner as you don't have to leave game.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

rally posted:

Which dungeon is that? I’m about to settle in for a 10 hour poopsock session and would love to maximize my time leveling.

Ruins of eridu, West of the veyska??? Wp south part of the map. Just keep running and stop and kill elites, more will spawn on top of you, it's actually really fun and what the entire game should have been like imo.

Once you finish phase one of the dungeon just leave dungeon leave game and then open again and it resets. Every two runs you'll have a full inventory to sell, they take about five minutes a run.

flashman fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 12, 2023

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Suprfli6 posted:

Couple pages ago but this is wrong I believe. All of the lucky hit mods on gear are multiplicative with whatever your skill's default lucky hit chance is. So whether or not you want to stack lucky hit mods on your items really comes down to what skill you are using since some have a pretty good base chance and others are awful for some reason.

Have you got a list handy of lucky hit chance of skills? Specifically sorc

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The renown and statue grind is killing me. I've got only one area done for renown and half the statues.

Leveling has really hit a wall at 70, the dungeon loop used to take about 7 runs to level and it seems like it has almost doubled now.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'd love to make a frozen orb build but can't get it to work.

I am trying to collect up items to try and make blizzard work somehow. It has a high lucky hit chance it seems so maybe there's some proc options like that, I am still unclear though on what the 45 percent means. Is that 45 percent of hits or of crits?

Maybe if pushed lucky hit up used the meteor ability with immobilizing and the aspect that spreads status effects might work? Stack bonus to burning and chilled enemies and use firebolt passive as well. Frostburn gauntlet as well perhaps?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Hashy posted:

It's 45% divided across the 8 seconds it does damage lol

Lol, gross.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Hashy posted:

It's 45% divided across the 8 seconds it does damage lol

Is this the same for orb, ie the whole cast has a 5 percent chance or is it each instance of damage?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Well I finally finished the story as a CL sorc at level 50. Moving to WT3 and I was just getting stomped. Respecced to arc lash but didn't have much success. Respecced to ice shard and feeling a lot better now, particularly with mobs, but single elites still give me a hard time as I just end up kiting forever waiting for cool down on frost nova and for my mana to regen. Currently running with no basic skill. And tips for an early end game sorc? I've read some guides but few seem to address this particular issue which I can see becoming a problem with bosses.

Or is the answer just to keep leveling against mobs until I find good enough gear to easily take on dungeons and bosses? I had to drop down to wt2 to get the aspect that makes ice shards pierce. I put that on my amulet for 5x pierce and feel a good deal better against larger mobs.

Arc lash is really strong even with imprinted codex Legendaries, probably use fire ball and arc lash enchants and fish for some cdr items early so you can spam unstable currents for your damage early.

It's pretty boring game play though just cycling defensives and dodging the post death explosions.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Man it seems like they've changed something, ruins of eridu no longer spawning in all the elites like it used to?

Why in God's name would they remove the only spot in the game with decent monster density rather than boost it elsewhere? Insane.

So what's the next spot to farm for xp/items?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Drone Incognito posted:

I thought it was just me but I also noticed that I was getting maybe half the xp I was last night

Nah the big packs of fallen aren't spawning in anymore so it's a crapshoot now.

They are determined to make it as fun as act 3 d2 to level up, for some stupid reason

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

This is from June 11, not a couple hours ago

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

coelomate posted:

Bad news for anyone that was having fun in Ruins of Eridu: Fun is not allowed. You may no longer have fun.

Noticed it myself just now and yup, sure enough: https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo4/comments/148o7eb/they_literally_nerfed_ruins_of_eridu_too/

Brutal, iron hold maybe has a decent elite pack ratio in the second area??

Heaven forbid we kill monsters in this game

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I mean diablo 2 vanilla you ran chaos sanc and let the level 93 kill diablo, then lod went from cows to baal in some patch. Rifts were very well received in d3 after a lovely start to the game. People like going where there is the most monsters, all the time lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Without having it on every item possible the lucky hit chance for a meteor to drop using blizz hasn't been too bad, generally get a few meteors per pack.

Not sure if stacking blizzards is giving me multiple chances to proc or not, hard to tell in game, the blizz and ice spikes (with ice shard enchant) and the amount of freeze is really strong on its own so things melt up to around nm35 so far.

Using the chill boots and frostburn gauntlet as well, and with paragon and skills into increased chill its considerable.

Took some inspo from the fellow one of y'all posted earlier. Now gonna try to make the lucky hit and freeze work with frozen orb