Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey posted:

i didnt really start learning how to cook for myself until i was in my mid 20s. also i havent done the math lately but with the price of groceries these days unless you are really strategic with your menu it seems dubious that you can eat cheaper by cooking yourself especially once you factor in the time it takes to buy and prepare a meal from scratch. its a lot of work and still expensive so im not surprised younger generations arent doing it much yet especially if they are cooking for 1 or 2 people only
Restaurants pay all of that for their supplies and then labor and rent and owner profit on top of that. YMMV with location of course but I can still buy at least a kilo of pork or chicken for the price of a single lunch. Sometimes more like two kilos on sale, it's not even close.

It can be a lot of work if you want to make a different, complicated recipe for every single meal but you don't have to. Just make several portions at once.

Pipistrelle posted:

Yeah poor Chinchillazilla, tried to cook her neighbors some chili and got called ableist. Between that and the whole Jorts the cat is ableist discourse, I started wondering if Twitter was getting shittier or maybe it was always lovely, and I just didn’t notice until then.
Never heard of that drama but I remember Lindsay Ellis getting canceled over some absolute nonsense about anime history or some poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

big mean giraffe posted:

He's just making fun of the goons who make that assertion all the time, fast food is expensive as gently caress now

poo poo, was it also a joke when I replied to a similar post!?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fast food is now a status symbol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Think of the poor oppressed galaxy native populations!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Aluminum cookware was already poo poo so yeah there's nowhere to go but up for it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Next time is going to be the year of linux on the desktop though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Time_pants posted:

My favorite OneDrive anecdote is when my coworker said he couldn't stand OneDrive because he's constantly losing access to his files. My manager jumped in and said that OneDrive is great, we all need to get on OneDrive, it's going to make things so much easier... as he was searching through OneDrive finding the file that he had saved. He eventually just had to use a local save instead.

At least our implementation results in two "Documents" folder on your computer where some applications use one, and others use the other.

Depending on how you open the One Drive version, it also won't let you drag and drop files anywhere, like the desktop or an email

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
OTOH I've had the Note 9 and S22U and they've been both very nice. Other than the usual complaints about SD cards and headphone jacks, but you're kind of hosed on those no matter where you go

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mullvad is the only VPN I ever tried and it worked great with no bullshit. You know they're legit because they don't do scammy podcast/youtuber ads.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Makita supremacy, go team teal
:hmmyes:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Aux jacks have been gone from iPhones since 2016, but they're still on all the Android products. The lowest level Motorola smart phone currently still has an aux jack. Android phones are affordable and accessible, and iPhones are expensive and getting increasingly more limiting, but people would still much rather have the status items minus basic abilities than go for the pleb option.
Not all, the higher-end Android stuff aped Apple again and it's been gone from the Galaxy S line for years too, probably most others too so you don't really get a choice.

I got work the shell out for the wireless buds too and they work ok and are convenient in like the gym but I'd rather have the jack so I could plug in my Sennheisers without the bullshit adapters

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

They also sell Bluetooth adapters for wired headphones if you are really married to those and insist on making your life more difficult than it has to be

I don't want to make my life more difficult by having recharge my headphones too

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

credburn posted:

What does N, 1, 2, or the additional D mean? My car has a D which means "go mode" but it also has another D with a box around it :confused:

Like here the N and P have boxes around it but the D doesn't :confused:

I know P means "brake on" and N means "brake on but with brake off"

N was explained, 1 and 2 is how you choose if you want to be 1st or 2nd at the finish line (3rd is 2nd loser and doesn't count)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also does anyone have the video from a truck waiting at maybe a stop light, when it later shows there was an entire Corvette hiding in the blind spot in front of it?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You got an F-150 or 250?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

part of it is federal safety mandates as well. anti-intrusion protection and rollover protection has created some absurdly strong chassis which are quite large. its also why backup cameras and blind spot sensors are basically mandatory now, pillars are so thick (mandatory curtain airbags also beefing up the pillars), and the glass is so small and high that sightlines around the car are very very bad. its a joke when i sit in my little 80s coupe that weighs 2000 lb and compare that to a "compact car" of today which is longer, taller, weighs 1000 lb more and has visibility so bad i feel like im in a truck.

modern car design has focused on "safety" so much the messaging may as well be "feel free to crash at any time!"
I'm sure safety requirements affect some aspects of the design it but it's not the reason cars are ginormous. They managed to make these ones pretty safe for example:

so, you know, they don't have to be this loving huge

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao I just got a call from a local cell number that told me in stilted, robotic English (not a common language here outside of business) that my ID card has been involved in illegal activity and there's a warrant for my arrest. And that I should press 1 to speak to one of their officers.

Never got a scam phone call here, let alone one in English. They must be really counting on the 0.01% that responds to this being the dumbest motherfuckers in the world that will go through the whole scam.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

imagine having to remember a conversion factor other than 1 L = 1 kg lmao

I always forget how much 1l is in m3 is though :mad:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cerekk posted:

Americans would probably be less dismissive of metric stans if the conversation didn't always immediately devolve to absurd troll statements like "all liquids are the same density" or "Celsius is as good as Fahrenheit for everyday use"

Celsius is as good as Fahrenheit for everyday use though. Better, even. :colbert:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

pencilhands posted:

lmao at using an android

Yeah it owns, I don't see any ads on my phone

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

mavis beacon typing of the dead learned me right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Taeke posted:

YouTube ads suddenly got a lot shittier.

Used to be that I'd get either a 20-30 second unskippable ad, or one or two longer ones that can be skipped after 5 seconds. Since about a week or two I've been seeing 50+ seconds unskippable ads, or (and this feels kinda buggy) I get skippable ads but after I skip them I get another set of skippable ads right after.

I can afford premium easily and given the amount of entertainment I get out of it I don't mind paying, but I promised myself I'd only get it as a reward for quitting smoking, which I haven't managed yet. Also, yes, I have an adblocker on my computer but I also watch youtube on my phone and my tv, and I need the kids I work with to be able to navigate youtube easily so setting up a media center or whatever isn't worth the hassle.
Use Ublock and sponsorskip

His Divine Shadow posted:

I would mind paying, gently caress all the tech giants really, principle of the thing. I stopped using the app and use the mobile youtube website.

The code formatting in Visual Studio Code sucks compared to the old Visual Studio 2010, at least when it comes to HTML code. The old VS2010 was eminently customizable and I had it set up just the way I like it.

I haven't been able to get visual studio code to work like I want to after years of trying and testing various code formatters.
Vocode is just electron garbage that shouldn't exist in the first place. Why they made it at all I've no idea instead of just making a lite version of VS without all the IDE tools