Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Big Bizness posted:

MyFitnessPal dropping the UPC scan feature from the free version of the app, despite it being a core component for like a decade. Exclusive to the paid version now. gently caress that.

Yep, un-installed as soon as I saw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Jawnycat posted:

Unity, lol

Was coming to post this, charging developers per install of their game. Reinstalls count. I wonder how long they stick with it before reversing course because literally everyone is all over them for it.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

naem posted:

Van™️©️ Life©️™️©️ used to be a wacky fun alternative thing you could do temporarily and make a youtube™️©️©️™️ channel to document it because of what a free spirit you are

then it became “I can’t afford rent” and now it’s “vans cost $200k and you poop in a bucket”

If you want to understand what van life once was watch SuperVan.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

kiminewt posted:

Google is terminating the Google Podcast app, which is decent, and rolling it into the YouTube music app, which is not.

CONSOLIDATION!

Just like they did with Google Music, that was also much better.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah seriously podcasts are very helpful in developing parasocial relationships with Californian strangers whom you will never meet

Hey, Paul F. Tompkins is real and a whole bunch of my friends.

But really, if you're listening to podcasts for more then entertainment, why?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

withak posted:

My guess is cancelling insurance for having a back yard full of an unreasonable amount of flammable fuel. Or it might just be a lie.

Look, it is my god given right as an American to have has many garbage cans full of gasoline as I want in my yard.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Computers are largely an appliance now, the only problem with younger generations not knowing much about them is people thinking they should. There will always be experts and people who know more, but it's totally okay to not.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Jelly posted:

I feel like either your TV is bad or this is a skill issue. You shouldn't ever need to "exit" apps. You just start up the other app with that app's button, or the home button if it doesn't have one. If you hot-button all of your streaming apps you can always navigate between all of them with a single button.

Every smart TV is a massively underpowered computer.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Just switch to Firefox. Just switch to Firefox! It's not lovely! Yet!

Yea, I just kind of expect to have to switch browsers every few years or so because the current one I use became bad and a different one I previously switched from got better again.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Philthy posted:

I can only use Freetube now, all the adblockers that say they get around it, dont. Freetube is the only thing that consistently works with no ads.

I primarily end up watching Youtube through my Chromecast that has Smarttube on it and that is still keeping the ads away as well.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Chromecast with Google TV is a solid, cheap way to go, I use that on my basement TV and it works fantastically. If you don't need 4k the HD version is like 20 bucks right now.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Basically if you see someone homerow typing you know they're not a poweruser or computer wizard because they waited to be taught how to type. Come at me

loving computer grognard opinions itt

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

shirunei posted:

can't wait for the post in three years about how your lifetime subscription is no longer valid

I've never had anything do this to me, are there examples of it?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I grew up in one of the pink counties on the map and have never drank, also went to college at a Jesuit Catholic university in Milwaukee itself and somehow never drank.

Everyone drinks a lot, it's funny going anywhere and seeing people talk like they can drink and they are no where near what I've seen at home. It's honestly typically not actively dangerous overdrinking it's a lot of casual overdrinking. The kind of thing that'll catch up to you in the future rather then making you do dumb poo poo now that'll kill you. Except every so often it does get someone now.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Even nature can't avoid getting shittier. The sun just keeps getting dimmer and dimmer today.

It's all those solar panels, sucking away the sun's energy.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

It's also cops not actually enforcing traffic laws once the community has said they'll hold them accountable in even the most minor way for being shitheads and murderers.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

credburn posted:

Now sort by length.

Of the doorknob or the butthole?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

thathonkey posted:

didnt they make the reddit mobile web experience bad on purpose so people would have to get their app (which again provides way easier access to track you and collect data)

Yep, and made it so 3rd party apps no longer could work on the site.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It means you have a camera in the back and a screen up front, both which break easily and are expensive to replace. The screen up front means you probably now have touch crap everywhere, and with that comes another can of worms.

Basically, a rear camera means your entire front console is expensive, fragile, and lovely.

I've literally never heard of those things breaking. I'm sure they do occasionally, but not enough to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

They're fine as far as normal wear and tear goes but cold weather here breaks them if you park outside overnight.

Where do you live?