Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
My strategy / neurosis of Store Everything Locally keeps going out of fashion as the alternatives are so much better, but then keeps coming back into fashion when those alternatives get deliberately hosed up, so overall I feel like I come out ahead.

Pity about the literal drawer full of hard drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The only reason to update stuff is to maintain compatibility or for critical security issues.

I never understand why people keep on accepting that their stable, useful, familiar system can be turned upside down because some random dev decides that today is New UI Day.

Deactivate automatic updates by any means necessary.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to take the grocery carts home

The elites don’t want you to know this but the shopping carts at the supermarket are free you can take them home I have 458 carts

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

wash bucket posted:

I will gladly be that weirdo who hoards physical media and insists on using open source software and 10 year old versions of Photoshop.

Unironically this.
I prefer having less functionality if it means I have rock-solid reliability from my tech.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

For all you people complaining about the internet, how have you survived this long without adblock?
And why?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

euphronius posted:

Can’t install it on my work pc or phone

Man. Any internet device that I can't get adblock for becomes an appliance, to be used for whatever limited function it is essential for, then put back in its box.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I assume that they did, but that adblocker was presumably better at fighting back.

Their strategy of driving people to use only the most effective adblockers will surely pay off sooner or later.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

AARD VARKMAN posted:

After they kill the ad blockers the Premium subscriptions will rise for a quarter or so and level off, and I expect it'll become Limited Ads and we'll get Premium Plus (full no ads) for $6 more a month. That'll get the numbers up for another quarter out of the most dedicated

Until the next quarter, of course.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

GolfHole posted:

Youtube's ads are going to come from the same server as the video feed itself, similar to things like Twitch. It won't be possible to block them until ad blockers become sophisticated enough to somehow predict ads, recognize them, and accurately transpose the video to the point where the in-line ad 'ends' and/or offer you some sort of other 'break' screen while YouTube demands its ad timer expire. Undoubtedly even if ad blockers become this good, they will be easy to mitigate by advertisers and YouTube itself by changing small elements at any time in the way ads are presented or otherwise caught.

Between now and ??? (probably a few months) they will roll out warnings first, then the ads. They'll do it slowly to not scare everybody away at once and to bleed people into subscribing.

You can still use some things like UBlock for now.

Eventually, no ad blocker will work to stop ads. No browser will work to stop ads. You won't be able to PiHole the ads away because that will also block the video itself.*

*at first.

It may go through that point, but it's unsustainable

I can't see the mythical Normal Person putting up with that for long. And even if they somehow did, next year's profit growth would require things to become yet worse.

I suspect that the worst-case coping strategy would simply be, "wait for the worst to pass".

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Last Visible Dog posted:

If you haven't already, go into File > Options > Search and disable "Improve search speed by limiting the number of results shown" and "Show most relevant searches on top". It should get you back to a more reliable chronological search result.

What... what does it do if you *don't* click that?

Edit: I mean that sounds like the most fundamental default search behaviour ever. And it's an off-by-default option three menus deep?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

withak posted:

Most Relevant Searches On Top is the algorithm deciding what you are really looking for and showing you that instead of showing you things that contain your search terms.

Given the thread's title, I really should have guessed.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Lol, this is some 90s movie dystopia poo poo.

Was going to post that.

Where does it end?

"We here at NewsNetwork grieve along with the relatives of those of have died in this tragic accident, and Burger King grieves too. Home of the Whopper."

"LAY DOWN YOUR WEAPONS AND COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP, BUT DON'T FORGET TO STOP ALONG THE WAY FOR CRISPYFRESH™ TREATS!"

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Armacham posted:

Sir, this is a Carl's jr. Would you like some extra big rear end fries with that?

...Because if so, you'll need to download our handy app and set up an account. Certain menu items are only available via monthly subscription plus per-order charges of CarlsBucks, available in a range of packages to suit every consumer. Ask about our CondimentPlan!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Fried Watermelon posted:

Hey folks, just dusted off my detective hat and magnifying glass because it's time for another edition of "The Decline Chronicles." 🕵️‍♂️✨

🚀 Once upon a time, everything was smooth sailing in the kingdom of Quality. But hold on to your hats, because I've noticed a trend: things getting shadier without any justifiable reason! 🎭

📱 Exhibit A: Phone Batteries 📉
Remember when your phone could last a whole day without gasping for charging? Now, it's like it's doing a sprint instead of a marathon. Did batteries suddenly forget how to hold a charge, or are they just trying to keep up with our fast-paced lives?

🍟 Exhibit B: Potato Chips Bags 🥔
Let's talk snack-sized betrayal. Have you opened a bag of chips lately and felt like you were purchasing air with a side of disappointment? The air-to-chip ratio has hit unprecedented levels. I miss the days when my chips weren't playing hide and seek in a bag.

🌐 Exhibit C: Internet Speeds 🌐
The internet used to be the speedster of information highways. Now, it sometimes moves at the pace of a tortoise on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Did the data decide to take a detour through the scenic route? We just want our memes and cat videos, ASAP.

🚗 Exhibit D: Car Cup Holders 🥤
Cars have evolved, but cup holders seem to be stuck in the past. Why is it that a simple beverage holder can't accommodate anything larger than a mini soda? Are they in cahoots with spill stains? We demand cup holder justice!

🍕 Exhibit E: Pizza Slice Sizes 🍕
Pizza slices used to be a substantial meal. Nowadays, it feels like they're on a diet. Did pepperoni and cheese get more expensive, or are we just being served pizza on a diet plan?

So, there you have it—my detective dossier on the mysterious decline of everyday things. Is it a conspiracy, a cosmic joke, or just the universe's way of keeping us on our toes? 🤔 Keep your eyes peeled, detectives, because the next chapter of "The Decline Chronicles" might just unfold in your hands (or cup holders) soon! 🔍📉✨

I hope that was chatgpt, because if not, your writing style makes me want to bite things.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The premium consumer is strong, and so is their smell.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I was thinking of that when I read the description but disregarded it as too unlikely.
Seeing it written out clearly like that, though... yeah.

Analogue stuff is linear in terms of power output, but some witless designer might make a digital control that was linear in terms of decibels...

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Re: remote discussion: years ago I started using my phone as a everything remote, and never looked back.

TV, aircon, whatever. Uses the same device I carry around everywhere anyway. Side benefit of being able to control that stuff in other places like restaurants and waiting rooms.

Can recommend.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Am I and the other person saying "use your loving phone as a remote" invisible?

Why does anyone tolerate collecting a pile of single-use controllers in tyool2023 when almost everyone carries around a general purpose computer in their pocket?

Edit: "Oh poo poo my horse is acting up! Maybe it's angry that it has to share stable space with my Ferrari!"
Man what.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

OK, legit objections that I probably should have thought about before rattling off a bunch of words.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Biplane posted:

too late, youre the phone remote guy now

Oh gods. I can feel the change starting...

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

satanic splash-back posted:

The only thing worse than videogame fans are people who watch people play video games and think that is equivalent to actually playing and interacting with video games

I intellectually understand that watching playthroughs can be fun like watching sports can, but on an emotional level it's just "deliberately relive that year when my friend James had an awesome computer and I didn't so I got to go over and watch him play games and I kept doing it because it was still better than the alternative, which was nothing I guess".

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

sinc posted:

In a pinch, I made the mistake of installing the Teams app on my personal video game machine, and logging in once. It added an apparently unremovable work e-mail user account somewhere deep inside my Windows settings, it keeps popping up in unrelated places and sometimes I randomly see our company logo plastered in unexpected spots like at the top of the start menu. Considering reinstall because I’m not sure if I’m now somehow shadow managed by the corporate IT.

Type "unionisation" in the search bar and see if it resets the computer.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

ghost emoji posted:

I haven't used Spotify in a while. Tried it out at work today. I counted six ads in a row before they played two songs and then played more ads. I am so sick of advertising. I don't have any money, I'm not buying your poo poo!

Thinking about this:
As basic things like usability and privacy and "not having 75% of the experience be ads" all get locked up behind subscriptions (more than currently/recently I mean), why will those ads and privacy violations still have value?

The ultimate goal of all of this is to get money from people, but it you've neatly sliced out the portion of your audience with disposable income by turning your ad-supported tier into hell itself, who's going to pay to place ads there?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Dip Viscous posted:

On YouTube, the answer is disinformation campaigns, stuff marketed to people with punisher skulls on their pickups, and weird as hell poo poo that seems to be from a company but I can't even tell what they're trying to sell me.

Ah, I guess. People who don't have any money are still people even in our late capitalist hellscape.
Of course, since it is indeed a late capitalist hellscape, that just means the exploitation doesn't stop when the bank account hits zero.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

If I start having to watch ads to use the toilet, people are going to have to update their definition for "enshittification".

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Sounds like that laptop/VPN/monitor was a... bad purchase.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I mean if you can't tell does it matter?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Raged posted:

After living in Australia for almost 22 years and raising a daughter I am going to have to leave the country and not get perm residency. Good times.

drat. Different country, but that'll probably be me in a decade or so.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

We had jeans a few pages back.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

That's presumably by design, or everyone would start showing up (reliable number of minutes) late, and that wouldn't do.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

So since it's a common topic, question:

Can anyone offer / link to a guide to keeping an android app separated from your actual data when it's installed?
I know they typically won't run / will crash if denied permission to access stuff, so I'm hoping for a guide to setting up a sandbox for them.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

abigserve posted:

Car spots are now too small to actually park a car in and get out comfortably. If I drive to the shops, half the time I'm scared to get the car itself in and the other half the time I'm scared of scratching the car next to me when I get out.

The parks at my son's childcare are a joke, it's that Simpsons gag but in real life. You literally can't park a car in every space.

The spaces may or may not have changed, but cars keep getting bigger every year. I believe that there are several popular US models that are larger than WW2 tanks. Could it be that?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

If you drill right down to it, there was a point when (white, middle class) people could assume that most systems weren't out to gently caress them.

That is no longer true, so now (white, middle class) people no longer trust the systems around them, and that includes schools and teachers.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Things work pretty well in China.
There are two main vehicle types that keep the economy going:

The "ebike" (electric-powered moped, has been called an ebike for longer than the word has been commonly used in the west to refer to electric-assist pedal bike).
~40-60kph max speed, ~50-100km max range.
They are cheap (~$350-700), zippy, get people where they need to go, and charge from empty on normal power supplies in ~4-6 hours (i.e.: during a work day or overnight).

The bright-turqoise-painted electric open-bed trike-truck.
These things carry anything and everything, from consumer goods to construction materials to construction crews to entire food stalls or sound systems. If you order something, it probably comes on one of these.

Between those two vehicle types, plus municipal bikes and buses, ~70-80% of short-range road transport gets handled cheaply and quickly.

Unfortunately the government is trying to encourage car ownership for ??? reasons, but for now that stuff works really well.

For some weird reasons the cars keep getting bigger every year here as well.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

BigHead posted:

When you use Bing to Google Firefox, as the first thing one does with a new PC, Bing will throw up a bunch of "but wait you haven't even seen all of it cool features yet!" messages. They were good messages, they actually made me feel a tinge of sympathy for Bing and how everyone craps on their dev team lol.

I'd respect them more if the last message was a dialogue box:

gently caress YOU!

(OK)

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

MrQwerty posted:

qbittorent has the interface of a 20 year old XP program

...and I love it for that.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

withak posted:

Mods please ban unless OP shares the casserole advice.

It's going to be an indirect lead-in to Chicago pizza.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

satanic splash-back posted:

My years old Roomba alternates between amazingly accurate sweeps with zero issues and running into the wall next to the charger for 10 mins at a time with every update or so and there's no good way to keep it from updating once you have a firmware that doesn't suck rear end.

Why can't you stop it updating?
Why does it have network access to begin with?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Significant roomba/grandma overlap then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

At this point I wonder if they even bothered using food safe ink/paper

I'm sure that bitcoin gambling advertisers are among the most careful and diligent observers of government safety regulations.