Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Biplane posted:

How else am I supposed to look sultry while drinking my Mountain Dew 64oz Big Gulp?

Just lol if you're not butt-chugging straight out of the soda fountain imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

ishikabibble posted:

Like it really feels like only a matter of time before we start seeing 'vore' used as a verb in ads. I hear it said as a joke often enough in otherwise 'normal' places plenty.

Sleep Token put out a song called "Vore" recently and all the kids are crowing about it. It's boring af, but it's literally about vore, so that's something I guess.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

drhermes posted:

Apparently Japanese wear cloth masks whenever they have a cold or are at risk. Works for them.

They'll find all kinds of reasons to mask up. I had students wear them to cover up acne, get some public anonymity when they didn't wanna be bugged, etc. I even had a student who wore one because he had bad breath that day.

Alao this is tangentially related, but most Japanese people cover their leisure reading material with non-description blank paper (like I had to do with textbooks back in the day) presumably because (in addition to protecting the book) it discourages random people from rushing over and asking about what you're reading. I think that's neat.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

euphronius posted:

https://youtu.be/5a77WgZN22o

Enjoy !!!

(Do not ask me to explain it )

Gotta be some fetish poo poo.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

I hate this so much. I keep Spotify open on my vertical monitor and that garbage panel takes up almost half the space and none of the information on it is useful.

Spotify is a pretty great example of a thing that worked perfectly fine and then steadily got worse every time new features were added by some useless exec trying to justify their job.

It's basically a social media/data scraping app at this point. If you can find an old Spotify Lite apk kicking around you can relive the glory days of just listening to some goddamn music without draining 80% of your phone battery and giving yourself a migraine from the world's busiest visual interface (for an audio client).

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Streaming would actually be fine if it worked.

By 'worked', I mean I want to a feature rich client that doesn't suck (this doesn't exist) and a library with absolute permanence (this doesn't exist).

Streaming makes acquisition as easy as it can be, but it has traded literally everything else for that.

Yeah, gently caress all that. I'm gonna keep using my time-tested luddite strategy of looking up a band I like on Encyclopedia Metallum, visiting the "similar artists" tag, buying their poo poo on Bandcamp, and sticking it all on an SD card that I can pop into whatever device I'm using wherever I am. Following labels on Bandcamp is also an awesome way to stay on top of new releases and artists. Spotify is morally, aesthetically, and functionally bullshit.

Edit: YouTube Music Revanced is pretty decent for scoping out new stuff compared to Spotify. Better algorithm, better interface, way less social media crap, and they never, ever ask you if you want to listen to a goddamn podcast

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 13, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

GolfHole posted:

dentistry, being a scam, has not

When I was living in podunk Thailand I went to the local dentist because I hadn't had a checkup in a while. He poked around, checked for cavities, told me my hygiene was good and then invited me to leave. When I asked him how much it cost he laughed and said "I didn't do anything, come back if you have any big issues" and sent me on my way. This was the same city where I spent 36 hours in in the emergency department and my bill was less than $4 US. Our entire medical system is hosed, my dudes.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

I always wonder how much of this is due to UX teams going from being a vital part of every tech company to being seen as a completely useless money sink that you should lay off to boost those profits.

So my big epiphany the other day was that smart TV UI's exhibit an insane amount of overlap with mobile touchscreen UI's despite former almost invariably using a button-based remote. If I am navigating your UI with a remote, and not my fingers, why are you expecting me to:

1. "Swipe" through every category/genre
2. "Swipe" all the way back to the beginning of the category because you never wrap anything (also I'm not gonna do that anyway because you only have a pool of like 40 movies despite having 700 categories)
3. Discover basic functions through random clicking and holding and/or mashing directional buttons until I finally find the hidden menu that lets me adjust subtitles or audio
4. Use a "keyboard" that is a single line of alphabetical characters that, once again, do not wrap
5. Figure out where the gently caress my cursor even is because you fuckers are terrible at loving highlighting things properly
6. Scrub/scan in fixed 10ms increments because your sliders can't actually be used as sliders
7. Navigate through like three submenus or straight up delete my history because you don't have/can't properly code/don't display a "start from beginning" button and I'm not sitting around for 40 minutes waiting for the episode to rewind.

Literally all of these problems are solved with a touch-based interface. Why the gently caress is our remote-controlled television interface indistinguishable from a 2006 Play Store app?

Anyway I started a Plex server last week and it's pretty nice. Strongly recommend.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 17, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

The Apple Remote brings a touchscreen-like control that works with this. (Should it be necessary and should UX be designed like this? No.)

It for sure makes way more sense than what most devs are doing, but I still lose my cursor/position pretty regularly and if a vagabond eyelash/dust mote lands on the touchpad then RIP whatever the gently caress I was just watching. The remote is also tiny and not ergonomic in any way, so it's very easy to pick up incorrectly and turn off whatever you were viewing.

But yeah, still leagues above most of the competition. I just don't understand why.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

ProperCoochie posted:

You're right. Actually we already discussed dogs and dog owners ITT.

It's bc covid + lockdowns.
It's bc social media and influencing and content creating.
It's bc the right wing media fear and hate machine and its ties to Home Security industry.

It also doesn't help that we've selectively bred entire generations of once noble beasts into pitious homunculi incapable of existing outside of a state of abject panic because every millisecond of their human-curated life flies furiously in the face of all their biological and instinctual imperatives. And they're all ugly as gently caress with bad hips, too.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Doritos are trash, Takis for life.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When Plex inevitably gets shittier for no good reason it's all over. I give up on tv

Plex was giving me the business last night so I crammed an HDMI cable into my laptop and finished my movie on a sketchy streaming site. Still preferable to the smart tv/streaming experience. Speaking of which, I babysat for a neighbor last night and have two specific bones to pick vis a vis streaming services.

HBO/Max/Whatever this year's branding is: did you fuckers seriously have the audacity to hardcode ads into your actual video files? Like did you seriously weld garbage-rear end advertisements for your lovely superhero IPs to the front of every TV show I want to watch? gently caress you with a pineapple.

Netflix: Why can I only scrub forward/backward in ten second increments? This movie is 7,200 seconds long and you assholes forgot my progress in the last twenty minutes, now I have to spend literally ten minutes holding down the FF button which, wouldn't you know it, totally breaks the loving app after about forty seconds.

Also, while I'm at it, why don't any streaming platforms offer search filtering in their UI? I'd love to filter poo poo so I can find movies or shows that fit my genre, runtime, release date, and review preferences instead of just being told to watch another new dumpster fire docuseries every time I search for anything.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

wash bucket posted:

"No need. The algorithm will just show you what you want to watch."

But what if the thing I want to watch is the algorithm catastrophically collapsing into itself like a supermassive dying star?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

is there a technical term for it when someone is driving, you are shotgun, and every single radio station is playing ads, so the driver just keeps flashing through each programmed station after 2 seconds until a good song is found?

Because turning OFF the radio is never an option. Or turning it down low enough you can barely hear anything.

poo poo thing in basic: radio stations who coordinate so they all play similar ads but they're all about 5 seconds off each other.

I call it "drive time purgatory." 60% of my motivation for buying a new (used) car was the auxiliary input.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Coming in hot with a new one: I've noticed that in recent years an increasing number of websites with search filters refresh the entire page every time you add a single filter. It makes me furious in a visceral way that I do not fully understand.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bouillon Rube posted:

Who the gently caress does this poo poo benefit? Does Hyundai want their products marketed as a hosed up Kronenburg Mini Coupe?

I would drive the poo poo out of that Cronenmobile and I am furious that it only exists as an AI-generated image. Apparently the real Hyundai Venue is a lovely SUV or something.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

Earbuds are all too large now. I get that people come in different sizes, but AirPods are like 4 times larger than something that can fit into my ear. They come out caked in blood. Are all earbuds now engineered by 11 foot tall people and most just don't admit that they hurt?

This wasn't an issue in the 80s and 90s. What changed? Did the average adult really change that much?

I grabbed a pair of cheap earbuds for a flight recently and they came with like 3 sets of changeable cups. If you're talking about Apple-style solid plastic pods those things have always been absolute trash from both an ergonomic and audio quality perspective. Just be nice to your ears and get a set of decent over-ear headphones.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

DoctorTristan posted:

I’ve been using (a previous model of) these for 3 years now and they’ve been holding up pretty great, so long as you’re fine with bone conduction.

https://uk.shokz.com/products/openrun

However i have no idea whether anyone outside the UK is going to be able to click through that link, which is a thing that got really lovely in the last few years.

Also rickrolls just straight up don’t work anymore now that the victim has to fill out a cookie consent form and watch 30 seconds of ads first.

I don't know why this is the thing that really brings it home for me, but here we are at the end of an era.

Also seconding Shokz, their poo poo is awesome and their customer support is fantastic.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Jelly posted:

I'm going to get one of those bluetooth cigarette lighter adapter things for my next road trip. They seem pretty handy. Anyone know if the sound quality through them is alright?

Just bought one recently, the sound quality is extremely not alright.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

redshirt posted:

I don't self checkout unless absolutely necessary.

I loving love self-checkout dude, it's like an express lane just for shoplifting. Every piece of produce is a banana! BOGO specials on all items too light to be detected by the uncalibrated scale! Everything under the cart is free!

Like, if you're gonna fire a bunch of employees and make me do the work you're not willing to pay them for, I'm sure as poo poo pilfering a few cases of Spindrift for my trouble.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

ProperCoochie posted:

To me it seems like the industry is designed around impulsive eBook purchases, two quick taps on the screen and you've got a sale. So, wacky titles and covers. Sometimes I wonder if the "hacks" are even real. I bet there are writers cranking these out that publishers then filter to bigger names, careers. It's like a factory manufacturing the next batch over and over. Just turning the crank and out plops more.

I ghostwrote lovely romance novels for the Kindle store a few years back, this is 100% how it works.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mudlark posted:

Precisely the reason I decided to come back and see if Something Awful was still around and active. Y'all are alright :unsmith:

Same, I was stoked to come back after a few years and find that the community was stronger than ever. Love you folks.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Internet Old One posted:

You can use prepaid cards to charge a privacy.com account and then they’re accepted many more places.

There are also sites that buy gift cards for like 95% of their value, I use them every time I get an Amazon or Starbucks gift card.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Waste of Breath posted:

Pro tip for the gas pumps--the 2nd or 3rd button down on the right side of the screen will mute these. I carry a sharpie to write mute next to them when I'm at a station that has them because that's how I found out about the trick.

Doing the lord's work. Thank you for your service.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Time_pants posted:

Cassandro is phenomenal.

Counterpart was also really solid before they axed it.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

euphronius posted:

Podcasts are not videos lol

Different media !!

They are also not music, take note EVERY STREAMING MUSIC SERVICE ON EARTH

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Lol you guys have ads?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Beastie posted:

I've always had Cheez-It for my go to cracker snack.

They're no where near as satisfyingly salty as they used to be. Huge disappointment but I guess my blood pressure is better off.

White Cheddar flavor still fucks pretty hard imo

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wawa has been getting steadily shittier for 30 years

Sad but true. I don't know who their suppliers are nowadays but all their sandwiches suck rear end now. My local one doesn't even do the meatball sub anymore.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

My partner has the car today and I need to get into the city proper for a doctor's appointment. The 9-mile trip via public transit will take 95 minutes and involve 4 bus transfers and a ton of walking on garbage infrastructure (yes I am American, how did you know?), so I figured I'd just do a ride share, which I haven't done in a while. If I order an immediate ride it's like $20. If I schedule it it costs almost $50. I figured it may have been a peak drive time thing, but scheduling for literally any time of day or night other than this specific instant seems to double the cost. 9:27 AM tomorrow? $50. 8 pm tonight? $50. 11 AM today? $50.

Same deal on both Uber and Lyft. I'm guessing it's them overestimating costs to cover their asses or whatever, but goddamn is it loving annoying.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

DoctorTristan posted:

I bought a game on steam and it turned out not as good as I’d imagined it would be

Return that poo poo! They don't fight it as hard as they used to.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Every shopping website should be as easy to navigate and informative as McMaster, everything about it works well, it only wants to ensure you get your high quality rod of pure cobalt for significantly higher cost than your local specialty metal shop. It does not try to save you $0.35 by switching to the cobalt-nickel alloy rod, it doesn't ask you if you're sure you don't want to buy a McMaster brand back scratcher for Father's day, if you have the part number, simply type it in and the product appears for re-order.

gently caress YOU GRAINGER.

Everyone should visit this website. It is perfect, even on mobile. This is what immaculate web design looks like and now I'm loving furious that there are no other sites on the entirety of the internet that even approach this level of usability.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

killa-pope posted:

My daughter burned through Gumball on D+ a few months ago and is rewatching it now. You’d think that getting to the credits and clicking “Next Episode” would mark that episode as watched so a subsequent viewing would start from the beginning - right?

Every episode starts about 80% through and she has to rewind back to the beginning. Welcome to your future, kiddo.

Gumball is loving awesome and so is your daughter. BRB, slapping every season of that poo poo on my server, thanks for reminding me.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Faustian Bargain posted:

a black screen is an upgrade from watching baseball so what’s the problem?

:emptyquote:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

bossy lady posted:

Bandcamp is probably hosed:

https://www.wired.com/story/epic-games-sale-bandcamp-music-platform-limbo/

There goes the last thing I cared about on the internet. gently caress you Epic. They probably just bought Bandcamp to play Lawsuit Games (TM) with Apple.

This loving sucks, I was just hyping Bandcamp to some friends the other day. If they take away my Bandcamp Fridays I will strike their eyes from their putrid heads and that is a sincere threat I swear to loving god.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I've been using weather.gov for like 20 years. It still looks like a 90's GeoCities site and I am extremely here for it.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

All alcohol makes me violently I'll now, so I guess I'm posting ITT because my body is the thing that got shittier for no good reason.

I still feel everyone's pain though, my partner and I went to a pub last week and of the 30 beers on the list like 24 of them were some variation of an overhopped or hazy IPA. She got the one sour on the menu and it tasted like Dimetapp lol.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

StormDrain posted:

When I worked there in the 1900s

Gonna start saying this poo poo all the time, thanks.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

shazbot posted:

I’m a dev manager and our CEO has decreed APP IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR OUR COMPANY. and now we’re doing the most user hostile things imaginable to get/trick/bribe people into installing our app which is just a wrapper for our website, and offers nothing above or beyond said website

So I guess blame 70 year old CEOs who don’t know snything about technology making decrees

Tell your boss some rando on a dead gay internet forum told them to eat loving poo poo, thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

I've heard it say "Turn Left After Burger King" and I thought it was really loving awesome that it gave me a landmark to look at instead of trying to find a tiny rear end street sign. It didn't give me a tagline or anything.

Yeah, as a landmark person I like this a lot. It's a shame everything else about the app is utter poo poo. I don't want a mini music player popup taking up half the interface when I listen to music. I don't want a popup telling me there's a delay. I don't want a popup asking me if a speed trap is still there (I always say "no", get rekt speeders). I don't want a popup asking if I want to change routes. I don't want any loving popups, they prevent me from using the map as a map. I'd also love it if Maps would close by default instead of minimizing, or at least give the option to terminate the app from the notification shade.

Waze deals with most of these issues really well, uses way less battery, and looks better to boot.