Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

yeah what's up with tear here stuff? I swear this poo poo used to work fine. now I just get out scissors every time. did they have to make them bullshit because too many people were just hulking out and tearing it apart or something? it's like less than useless now.

On a similar note, I swear they're using a worse glue or cheaper cardboard on the majority of single play carboard food boxes (e.g. cereal boxes). Typically, the top is two overlapping flaps glued together, with the idea being that you pull the top flap away from the bottom breaking the glue. But these days it's a coin flip whether the bottom of the top flap just stays adhered to the glue and you instead pull the top flap cleanly in half into a useless top half and bottom half that's still keeping the box closed. At this point the only way to open the box is to tear poo poo up, ruining the re-closability. There was always a chance of this happening, but now it's constant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Captain Vimes boot theory of economics is broken because even expensive boots fall to pieces in a few months now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

The restaurant across the street from me that has pretty decent burgers for the price point only accepts payment with paper checks now. :psyduck: Now I get to watch them refuse to ever revert the change despite losing most of their customers, close down in a couple of years, then post an angry rant on their Facebook about how card processing fees are killing small businesses.

Do they not even accept cash? What the hell

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Youtube seems to have finally started cracking down on ad blockers I guess because it started scolding me for using my browser's built in one. Finally got me to download ublock origin, which still works fine. Kinda funny that they didn't start going after the most prominent adblocker that everyone uses as part of their campaign :shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone bought a klondike bar in the last year or so? They're so much smaller now, it's really something. Guess I'm never buying any of those again.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've noticed that Americans seem very down on the concept of self-checkouts, people mostly accept them in the UK? Personally, I can live with their quirks and annoyances, as it eliminates the much bigger annoyance of putting all your stuff down on the conveyer, then the person in front of you turns out to be a moron or troublemaker that holds the line up forever and you're trapped there now 'cos you've already put your stuff down.

Self checkout was pretty good when it was first introduced like 20 years ago but, well, *points to thread title*

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Just calling out, I got an Insignia 'dumb' TV from Best Buy for Black Friday - it was down to $130, normally $170. It's nothing amazing, just a 1080p LED screen, but it works fine. Better than the smart tvs I've used, it starts up right away.

I also found an Insignia CD player boombox while there. Like, new in box, for 2023. For all your...CDs you buy, in 2023.

Insignia is almost single-handedly holding up the old electronics market lol

Yeah, people have been saying you can't buy a dumb TV for years and maybe it'll be true some day but it isn't yet. Maybe what they mean is "you can't buy a dumb tv [with all of these performance parameters I want to hit]", idk.

Smart TVs do suck poo poo though. It's sort of incredible how like 80% of all consumer good were just objectively better 20 years ago.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just use discord as a chatroom. 99.5% of the time on PC. I'm unaware of all of these features or why I need them.

Like 90% of all software development since, I dunno, 2006 seems to be directed entirely at a tiny sliver of power users and even then it's like 50/50 on whether they appreciate it or are annoyed by it. Programs are using 1000x the resources for 1.17x the functionality.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Self checkout was great back around 2005 but it's been so thoroughly shat up since then I try to avoid it unless I'm only buying like 1 bag worth of items. Going to a cashier is usually faster if only because there's actually enough space to put all your items and the machine doesn't lock up and screech at you when you skip step c of the process.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Try using one of these monstrosities when you can't bend/twist at the waist, it's a hoot. Also I recently watched a dude in a wheelchair struggle to move all his poo poo from the right side to the left because each platform is a totally different height for some reason.

Also you better be able to fit all of your groceries on that red circle at once or the machine WILL lock up and you'll have to wait for the attendant to get done with the 4 other customers whose machines have locked up or are being carded for alcohol or whatever.

Anyway human cashier but you bag the groceries is the best combo unless you're shopping at the Aspen whole foods or whatever where they still have dedicated baggers and don't just make the cashier do it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kit Walker posted:

I can only assume that the self-checkout machines in the US are all complete garbage because I've lived in a few countries abroad and I've never once had any of these issues over the course of several years and living in several cities. The worst I ever had was a machine that needed me to scan the item, put it in the bagging area, then it had to take like 3 seconds to think about it before it let me scan the next item. And that issue seemed to go away after a couple months

I think it's mostly a constant ramp up of loss prevention features because the US used to have good self checkout machines.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

Holy poo poo yes, especially the part about glue being so loving weak.

I used to get this big resealable bag of frozen fruit for smoothies, except the glue attaching the ziploc to the bag was somehow weaker than the ziploc itself. So whenever I went to open a new bag I would just rip the ziploc right off the side of the packaging and now I can't reseal it anymore.

I feel like a lot of glue is too strong now, so when you're supposed to pull apart the glue on two cardboard flaps that are stuck together, the glue is actually ten times stronger than the flaps so you end up just ripping one of them off instead. Of course maybe the glue is the same as always and the cardboard is weaker, I dunno.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I used to get my groceries delivered and it kind of owned because it would be a $10ish delivery fee and the items weren't marked up. $10 to save whatever time it takes to go to the store and shop was worth it and I didn't have a car so it saved me a ton of headache and hassle.

These days it probably costs way more though

My wife and I tried getting groceries delivered when we had covid and we ended up having to to the grocery store in person, twice, to get all the stuff we had already paid for.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

All the auto shops other than Walmart and maybe, like, Pep Boys are closed on the weekends now so I need to take time off work to get my car fixed. It's good for the people working those jobs to have regular days off, but it sure sucks from my end.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

wash bucket posted:

Seeing a lot of articles today like, “The economy is doing great: here’s why it would be bad if things cost less (you loathsome rabble)”

People have been telling me deflation is bad, actually, my whole life but it would be cool for me if food or houses or cars got cheaper instead of more expensive.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

If you can feed a horse, milk a cow, and drive a plow with a team of oxen you're better prepared for the economy of the future than most people.

The society of post-industrial smallholding farmers isn't going to happen until after the omega-war over all the arable land on earth that can support maybe a few hundred million of those. For that phase the more marketable skill is going to be fashioning sick hood ornaments out of human jawbones.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

I watched the new Super Mario Brother movie which made me finally watch the old Super Mario Brothers. The old one is better. It isn't even close. One is a cheesy movie the other a collection or references with famous people voices and music you will recognize.

It's like prequel Star Wars vs. sequel Star Wars. They both suck but at least the prequels had a vision.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sometimes I think that advertising doesn't work but then I remember that half the men in America commute to the office in an $80000 pickup truck so who's to say :shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Philthy posted:

GAS PUMP ADS THAT SCREAM AT YOU AS YOUR CAR IS BEING FILLED UP

I think my gas station hosed something up because the ads are always playing except they stop when you start filling up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

hope no one in this thread weighs their 8 oz steak after its cooked at texas roadhouse

There's a burger place in a town where I lived that did post-cooked weight and it turns out a half pound burger is actually pretty huge.

Salt Fish posted:

Wegmans is what snooty east coasters think a great grocery store looks like but they've never been to horrocks.

People who think Wegmen's and Horrock's are any good have clearly never shopped at Glerbmund's

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 21, 2023

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is Google on the take from toll road operators or something? Whenever I use google maps now it will try to direct me to a faster route that it doesn't mention is a toll road so I can pay $5 to save 2 minutes. I have to pick up my phone while I'm driving and press a prompt on the screen to make it stay on the route I told it I wanted. I was driving about 600 miles on Friday and it kept telling me it had found a faster route and trying to redirect me onto a toll road that, when looking at the screen, it claimed was actually 30 minutes slower.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

toll roads lol. crazy rear end poo poo. i cant believe that's a normal thing in most of the world

Yup, I dunno about "most of the world" but they're also crooked as hell in the my neck of the US. The local government builds the road with public money, then sells it to a toll operator for a fraction of the amount and uses the proceeds to open a creationist charter school or buy more black paint and Punisher decals for the SWAT team's Bradley fighting vehicles.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The cool thing about new music is no matter what you listen to it will be better than everything released between 1960 and 1979

THE HOLE LEFT BY THE BEATLES DARK AGES

I unironically agree tho

e: drat that post was pages ago

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

something like 95% of alcoholic drinks in the US are consumed by <5% of the population. We put all these laws in place to try and stop that <5%, but ain't nothin' stoppin alkies.

for content - loving electric tooth brush bristles. Somehow I am visibly wearing them down within a few weeks, and about every other brush one of the bristles comes out entirely :dafuq:

although I did order these off Amazon.. did I get knockoff Oral b toothbrush heads? :ohdear:

I bought some "Aoremon" brand Sonicare replacement heads off of ebay for like 1/10th the price of name brand, and they're about as good. Electric toothbrush heads have always been a classic "that's how they get you" situation.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

People who allow white supremacists effortlessly to claim any innocuous thing they cast their eyes on claiming they're somehow fighting the good fight is a lol

If you're acting like wearing a common, popular brand of shoes is like trying to "reclaim" the swastika and Hitler 'stache you should probably take a break from whichever corner of the internet you picked that up in because you're losing touch with reality.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I live in Arizona and the TV news here spent most of the last week warning us about apocalyptic storms on the way, saying you want to make sure to stay indoors this weekend and don't make any plans! And prepare yourself for the torrential rain!

It was a tenth of an inch of rain they were predicting.

Weather channels here were talking about snow and apparently grocery stores were a mob scene on Friday. I can't believe people actually thought it was going to snow, it's 2024. There was a substantial drizzle over the weekend to be fair.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tythas posted:

Youtube is now attacking you with a denial of service of your own hardware if you use adblockers

https://www.pcgamer.com/its-not-jus...on-ad-blockers/

Is this just with Chrome? I haven't noticed anything. Bold of them to sabotage their own lovely but inexplicably popular browser, if so.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bouillon Rube posted:

wait is this supposed to be the cast of Friends?

It's all the posters in this thread. Guess I must have forgotten to invite you to the shoot, sorry!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have noticed Google Play Store has started showing adds that contains an install button when you open an app page to install it, so if you are careless it's super easy to press the first install button you see, except you're installing some random software from an ad, not the actual thing you were trying to install.

This is like malware level behaviour.

To be fair hosting sites have been doing this for decades with ads that all prominently display a "DOWNLOAD NOW" button. You'd think google would care enough to keep that poo poo away but :shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Was this whole food delivery trend that sprung up yet another thing where free VC money made it effective but now the chickens are coming home to roost? I feel like 15 years ago the idea of getting any food other than pizza or few others delivered to your door was vanishingly rare.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

One of many reasons I hate Spectrum. I can log on and buy equipment and services with a click, but if I want to cancel something or even ask about a charge on the bill I have to call in and then they make me prove I own the account by asking for my social security number.

It can take up to an hour if you don't just stay firm. If you waffle or give them an inch you're loving up. They never let you just cancel the service up front. If you complain they'll try to talk you out of it, if you say you're getting another service that's another sales pitch, or if you say you just can't afford it they'll try to offer you a deal that will cost more in six months. You just have to be a dick and repeat "I want to cancel. Cancel my service" and not deviate from that and then they usually get pissed at you, but that's just how it has to be.

If I have to cancel something like that I always tell them I'm moving to Nepal. I don't think I've ever gotten into double digit minutes. It's still ridiculous that it takes that long, and that you MUST call them on the phone (lol suck it gen-z), and that there are "strategies" for getting them to do the thing, but it is what it is I guess.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 21, 2024

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Like how the dilemma is apparently "order delivery or drive drunk" rather than "order delivery or don't order delivery".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My grocery store tacked another dollar on to half the stuff I buy again. Depressing as hell. They also added an "every day low prices" sticker to most of the things with new higher prices, just to rub it in I guess? I'm surprised that phrase isn't trademarked by Walmart.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I agree with this theory, I type like an insane person using mostly my middle fingers, but I get 90 wpm

This is basically me except with my index fingers. I get a lot of comments on how impressive sounding my typing is.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just can't fathom wanting mcdonalds so bad I'd pay like $25 for it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hey fellow PE-havers.
I don't use mine either but I keep paying for renewal just in case.

I got my EIT over a decade ago but all the PEs at my job told me not to bother, so I didn't. It has yet to come up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

cat botherer posted:

:same:

Data scientist with a PhD and 6 years of industry experience, and I know python, r, AWS, all that garbage. I’m at about a thousand applications right now. But yes, nobody wants to work anymore.

It’s a useless job and everything, but I’m sick of this BS that I should be able to walk in anywhere and that “AI” is exploding. Boomers have also suggested that if the job market is so bad, I should just get a job as a “professor.”

This is my new favorite boomer job hunting advice. Have you tried just walking into MIT, looking Noam Chomsky in the eye and firmly shaking his hand?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

dreezy posted:

not too firmly or it might disintegrate. he may have in fact died while i was typing this post

So there's an opening, is what you're saying?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'd have more sympathy for doctors charging for being late if they didn't without fail make me wait for them after I arrive on time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Manky Tungeon posted:

google is getting rid of cached pages. oops the thing you're looking for isnt on the page anymore and no one bothered to save it on the internet archive? get hosed :thumbsup:

drat, how will I read blocked sites at work now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

I've basically shopped by weight for years since I'm used to bouncing between a couple different stores that have different sizes of the same staples. That's helped protect me from surprise shrinkflation, but it leads to getting more and more disappointed every trip as things constantly creep upward

Stepping into a grocery store is like an on demand depressive episode these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wendigee posted:

That alphabet is ridiculous.

Jar Jar is critical, now more than ever.